Ryusoulger 33 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:22 am

★★★★★
No votes
★★★★
21%
★★★
14%
★★
21%
43%

Total votes: 14
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Ryusoulger 33 released

Post by ViRGE »

I actually agree with BreadToku here. This episode isn't horiffic, and I get where they were going. This episode, on its own, hit all the proper beats for a character death episode: the grave threat, the introspective bonding, the great sacrifice, the mourning heroes. The stunt choreography was top notch, and the music swelled at just the right points.

The only problem? Why should I care that Nada is dead? :shock:

If you're going to make a character's death impactful, then you must first build up that character to give weight to their loss. And that hasn't happened here. For as many episodes as Nada has been in, he isn't all that well developed, especially since he was only turned good in the previous episode. So there's been no time to learn what heroic Nada is like.

Sentai doesn't kill off heroes very often, and for good reason. So when they do, it's a big deal. Conversely, however, killing off a character is one of the most powerful tools in the writers' chest; it has to be wielded with great care and respect. And that didn't happen here. Instead, the writers have hurt themselves with it.

And stop giving Koh. Every. Single. Power-up!

On a lighter note, I got a good laugh out of Asuna's ping pong serve. Ui's dad congratulating her on completely ignoring the laws of physics was perfectly delivered.:lol:

And boy, they really went all-out on the squib packs here. Those last two fights with Uden involved a ton of practical effects, something even the flashier episodes don't necessary do.

Finally, I think I'm more confused than ever about the makeup of the Druidon generals. The chess motif has been apparent since the start. The mooks are the pawns, Tankju was clearly a rook, and meanwhile Uden was obviously a bishop and the other one they named dropped is a queen. But then what are Wiseru and Gachireus supposed to be? The only thing left is the Knight, and for obvious reasons that's reserved for the Ryusoulgers.
takenoko wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:22 am Uden has a cool ability and I enjoyed watching the Ryusoulgers fight against their own powers. Killing Uden off after just one episode seems like a mistake too.
I'm confident he'll be back. It's not like Toei to only use a commander suit once, and they've already shown that they will throw logic out the window to bring back the commanders, as we've seen with Tankju and Gachireus.
Last edited by ViRGE on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

ViRGE wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 am Finally, I think I'm more confused than ever about the makeup of the Druidon generals. The chess motif has been apparent since the start. The mooks are the pawns, Tankju was clearly a rook, and meanwhile Uden was obviously a bishop and the other one they named dropped is a queen. But then what are Wiseru and Gachireus supposed to be? The only thing left is the Knight, and for obvious reasons that's reserved for the Ryusoulgers.
In my opinion, I've just seen it has certain motifs can be repeated. Gachireus looks just as much of a rook as Tankju did, so I figured they both serve that role. Wiseru I could believe is a Bishop himself, though if we're scaling by how strong or effective the villains have been, then he's probably also a rook. I have no idea where Kleon falls in this either way though.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

BreadToku wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:49 am
ViRGE wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 am Finally, I think I'm more confused than ever about the makeup of the Druidon generals. The chess motif has been apparent since the start. The mooks are the pawns, Tankju was clearly a rook, and meanwhile Uden was obviously a bishop and the other one they named dropped is a queen. But then what are Wiseru and Gachireus supposed to be? The only thing left is the Knight, and for obvious reasons that's reserved for the Ryusoulgers.
In my opinion, I've just seen it has certain motifs can be repeated. Gachireus looks just as much of a rook as Tankju did, so I figured they both serve that role. Wiseru I could believe is a Bishop himself, though if we're scaling by how strong or effective the villains have been, then he's probably also a rook. I have no idea where Kleon falls in this either way though.
Hey, I think you're on to something. I kept thinking there should be one of each, like it's an ordered list. But chess involves 8 non-pawn pieces: 2 rooks, 2 bishops, the knights, and then the king and queen.

So Wiseru and Gachireus are the other bishop and rook, respectively. Giving us 2 rooks, 2 bishops, the Ryusoulgers, and the impending queen. Which leaves the king for the 40s...
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

1 star for Nada 1 star for reds new power upgrade design (only design mind you not the upgrade itself or how he get it) but as mentioned by others it felt too forced if they were going to kill off Nada best time would be last week during redemption not right after it. Red also got too many upgrades they could at least some Nada Colors to it or better yet they could go with Wolzard Fire route and give that upgrade to Nada with a color change.
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

Not that I miss Nada that much, but at least give us some more action with non-demonic Gaisorg before you kill him off.
whitehelm

Post by whitehelm »

Wiseru is a Bishop, you can tell what they are by their 5x5 square belt buckles. The Rooks have a colored cross on them and the Bishops have a colored X because that's how those pieces move in chess.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh, that's a nice detail that I wasn't aware of.
Rashef
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: W, Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger season 2
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Monkey Island

Post by Rashef »

Very cool move Toei. Introducing a character that's not so crystal to the team. Showing growth can be achieved even if starting circumstances aren't so great. That one can redeem himself. Can't wait to see how you develop this character.

*episode happens*

Or... just have him die after 1 transformation to give Red a powerup that could've easily been gained after a character development training episode down the line. *sigh*
My Copyright Infringing folder with random assortment of ripped Kamen Rider SFX is found right... HERE.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

whitehelm wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:53 am

Wiseru is a Bishop, you can tell what they are by their 5x5 square belt buckles. The Rooks have a colored cross on them and the Bishops have a colored X because that's how those pieces move in chess.
Oh wow. That's pretty clever. :D
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

whitehelm wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:53 am Wiseru is a Bishop, you can tell what they are by their 5x5 square belt buckles. The Rooks have a colored cross on them and the Bishops have a colored X because that's how those pieces move in chess.
This makes me think Pricious is supposed to be the King piece leaving us with the Queen for the final boss.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

Only thing about this episode I didn't like was how quickly they offed Nada. I was thinking we might get at least two episodes with him as a "good" Gaisorg before they pulled this stunt. It felt VERY rushed to the point where I'm like, "what was the point of cleansing the Gaisorg armor if you where just gonna kill him off in the next episode?"
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

I'm in agreement with BreadToku and the others--it does feel like a really well done episode, but the entire series has been a bit of a messs. Nada's (temporary, depending on what his video implied?) death scene worked for me, but why did we get to know him for only an episode and a half as a good guy? Similarly, it wouldn't be a problem that Koh gets the episode's powerup if they hadn't already given him four or five powerups beforehand.

Still, viewing it in isolation, a lot of the episode itself felt quite enjoyable for me. It had a degree of setup for future episodes (implying they have a story to tell? I'd just about given up on that by this point), the druidon felt quite interesting for a one-off villain, and the rarely-seen strangeness of Sentai members running and hiding from the Druidon was a pretty well-done way to establish the antagonist's power and threat from a storytelling perspective. The series almost feels as if it has enough story for a good 50 episodes, but it goes about it by having four episodes out of five be mostly filler and then cramming the rest of the story into the fifth.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
whitehelm

Post by whitehelm »

windfall wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:52 am
whitehelm wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:53 am Wiseru is a Bishop, you can tell what they are by their 5x5 square belt buckles. The Rooks have a colored cross on them and the Bishops have a colored X because that's how those pieces move in chess.
This makes me think Pricious is supposed to be the King piece leaving us with the Queen for the final boss.
Nope, Pricious is our first Knight (going by the purple squares that are kind of in a big circle around the edge). The King would have a solid colored square around the center dot since it can move one space in any direction, and the Queen would have a big 8-point asterisk.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

whitehelm wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:55 pm
windfall wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:52 am

Nope, Pricious is our first Knight (going by the purple squares that are kind of in a big circle around the edge). The King would have a solid colored square around the center dot since it can move one space in any direction, and the Queen would have a big 8-point asterisk.
I suppose looking at the purple spaces makes more sense than the red ones for Pricious.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”