Ultraman R/B Movie released

Select. Crystal.
Forum rules
Wiki link

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

☆☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆☆
67%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ultraman R/B Movie released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki

I had an enjoyable time, but this movie felt like a disappointing epilogue to R/B as a series as a whole.

They get points for remembering Yuuha and even having her cameo.

But I wasn't the biggest fan of this story being so Katsumi focused. Yeah, it's neat to see Katsumi deal with is depression, but does it hold up a whole movie? How about his incel friend Toi? I bet being saved from being a monster will totally fix his depression and lack of employability. This could have been better told as a bottle episode for the TV series.

Considering this was the introduction of Ultraman Griijo, it felt like this should have been Asahi's story. Also wanted more Mitsurui Saki!

What's Geed doing here? He was okay, but I didn't feel like he added anything...

3/5 stars For a story about a trio of siblings being united, it sure doesn't focus much on Isami or Asahi...
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Ultraman R/B Movie released

Post by DaVinci030 »

takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:24 pmWhat's Geed doing here? He was okay, but I didn't feel like he added anything...
I felt like this movie almost look like it's a Sentai VS movie.

(Well same goes for Kyouryuuger vs. Go-Busters since it mostly focused on dinosaur sentai and stuff.)

VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

I'm actually glad the movie focused on Katsumi, because the end of the TV series feels a bit sour if you remember his story at all. He never went to college to help out with the store, and he turned down baseball scholarships/offers to better support Isami's dreams. So at the very end of ep 25 when Mio, Isami, and Asahi are walking to work/school, and Katsumi is left in the store.... it feels bad!

The sideplot with Toi was not great though. I don't think he really learns any lessons, besides "don't make any deals with strange aliens." He makes up with his mom I guess?

Ultrawoman Grigio's little baby kicks and punches on the kaijuu were adorable. You're doing great sweetie!

GRB being pure CG..... is meh. Maybe the figure is closer to what Ultraman really should look like, but the truth is you miss out on the folds of the suit (compare Geed crouching next to GRB) and the texture is different. The suits are more matte, while the CG was rendered kinda shiny! I do kinda like how..... sassy they made him??? All those twirls with the kourin... lol guys please relax
That said, the CG fight between Tregear and GRB looked great (and was really dynamic!). It's just in comparison to the actual suits that everything gets kinda cringey. A GRB suit was made for a later show, but... too little, too late.

Geed is here because why not :) Riku is adorable.
But real answer: he's here because Tregear is.
And why is Tregear here? Because technically it's all Tregear's fault that the whole R/B story even happened! He's the one who turned Leugocyte from a nice lil space leukocyte to an angry planet-eating kaijuu!

Ahhhh... the ending with Katsumi and Isami walking away from one another. IT HURTS!
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

VerusMaya II wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:02 am And why is Tregear here? Because technically it's all Tregear's fault that the whole R/B story even happened! He's the one who turned Leugocyte from a nice lil space leukocyte to an angry planet-eating kaijuu!
Eh? Is this explained somewhere else?
VerusMaya II
Humongous

Post by VerusMaya II »

Yep, in the Ultraman Taiga Novel: Ultraman Tregear's Story "Blue Shadow"! There's an English translation over thisaway - Leugocyte is corrupted in part 5. (Tregear also messes with Greeza, from Ultraman X... :) )
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Sounds like a weird retcon to try to create a Avenger-like bad guy for all the Ultraman to deal with
VerusMaya II
Humongous

Post by VerusMaya II »

Heh, a little bit. I don't mind it so much cos the franchise has been combining and overlapping things for a bit now. Alien Empera, the final boss of Mebius, was mentioned in Taro and is the one blamed for starting the Great Ultra War. Belial's story started with the Showa-era Ultras, combined them with the spinoff Daikaijuu Battle, and continued into Zero and Geed. Now we have Tregear being the background cause of some of the New Gen Ultra issues - X, R/B, and Taiga in particular.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Bonus Features

Post by takenoko »

Ultraman R/B 25 CM (Had a spoiler for Ultraman G/R/B)
Countdown Messages 1-6
SH Figuarts
Deleted Scenes

Since this is ostensibly our final release for R/B for now, had to go all out on the bonuses! The toys look cool. Had to do the Countdown Messages since it's interesting to see how those guys started off compared to where the ended up (feels like some late story stuff is hinted, like Katsumi's kanji)

And of course, gotta have the deleted scenes. Gotta say I miss seeing what ends up on the cutting room floor. This was especially nice because the director's comments explained the thoughts behind them and why they ended up getting cut. Quality work considering Toei seems to have given up on deleted scenes/director's cuts in general.

Return to “Ultraman R/B”