Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo -Versus Road- 04 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 3.75 / 5 (12 votes)

Alt Title: 4 is death in Japanese

Wow, that ended up being a really good episode. Like there were some slow parts, but it feels like a lot of the set up is paying off.

I like that they set up UMI to be really cool, then a traitor, but he's betrayed by Kouzuki's hilarious shooting knife trick. Maybe there's more to Kouzuki than they seems.

Thanks to Nagumi (RIP Minami) we finally know what happens to people if they die in the game or quit it.

And the moral setup was great as well. Everyone thinking that someone else had to die to the Horror to get out. Like that Trolley Problem that they keep mentioning on the Good Place, do you push someone else on the track if it means saving yourself? How far would you go to survive. BUT! The twist of Kuon realizing none of that was necessary to begin with, since they had the power to leave all along? <chef kiss>
Xirix
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger

Re: Garo -Versus Road- 04 released

Post by Xirix »

So when I was timing this I figured Kuon might turn his Item into a key, and he did! Yay, well done you. I was fully expecting UMI to try and backstab Takane, but nice counter, knife gun! (kinda)

Also surprise surprise, if you die in the game, you die in real life. Probably shouldn't be surprised, I dunno if you'd generate as good Inga if they didn't die. I hope we get some details on the two running this soon, I wanna know about them, don't even know if they're horrors. (considering some past series, we shouldn't assume. They could just be asshole humans) Though it seems the guy has encountered a Garo before.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Well, in most of the shows/movies, the main enemy (or the one responsible of it at least) is a former Makai Knight or Priest, or at least related to that world. Barago, Sigma, Tousei with his mother and Sonshi, Eiji, Jinga and Amily, Mendoza, the Doushi. Probably forgetting some.
lincolnmon
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: Love is like a candle in the darkness

Post by lincolnmon »

Enjoying this a lot.

Please add the lore of Garo in soon!
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

The "die in real life" twist was of course, to be expected. The guy who logged out also dying was also within expectations.

The twist that sold it all to me was that the game had a method of winning without killing anyone. That part gave me chills.
The M
Infinity
Favorite series: Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Fumika Baba
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: EARNEST DRIVE
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: "Now, shall we begin the experiment?"

Post by The M »

I liking the show so far but...it doesn't feel like Garo (yet). For me it feels like the show was originally going to be a show unrelated to Garo but the producers bought the rights/idea/script and adapted it to be a Garo show.
Vim Crony
7X
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mio
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: Polaris
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kiva and Comix

Post by Vim Crony »

Loved it! Previews for the next episode look great too. :-)
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

It's like Liar Game. If you're not driven by greed, you can actually win wintout hurting anyone.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Really good episode. Lots of great characterisation. The premise was great, in that you needed to have a Horror eat someone to get the key and not kill them yourself.

And then you didn't actually need to as Kuon showed. It might not be GARO as I'm used to so far, but its an interesting enough show.
JustiFanV2
7X

Post by JustiFanV2 »

Honestly as soon as we first saw the keys I had to wonder whether they counted as items the players could summon up. Takane's sudden twist in behaviour came as an interesting surprise to me though, and that knife launcher was just the icing on the cake - I want one! A shame UMI had to cop it so early on though, that guy had some nice moves.

P.S: Had to laugh at the "No Data" screen at 21:59; you could clearly see the video clip reaching the end then showing the filename and player controls! :lol: I seem to recall that's not the first time a toku has ever shown that happening either - these editors really need to learn how to cut away a couple of seconds earlier...
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

JustiFanV2 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:42 am
P.S: Had to laugh at the "No Data" screen at 21:59; you could clearly see the video clip reaching the end then showing the filename and player controls! :lol: I seem to recall that's not the first time a toku has ever shown that happening either - these editors need to learn to how to cut away a couple of seconds earlier...
There was a scene in Fourze where you can see the GOM player controls
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

One third progress report

Post by takenoko »

So I was thinking about this while walking my dog. We're a third of the way through the series. And I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it so far. But now that they're down to like 19 guys, they know that the game leads to death, the series has to start upping the stakes.

I think the first thing that I hope they address (which others have brought up) but how is this a Garo thing? For the viewers, seeing Garo's armor as a prize is pretty awesome. But as they show in episode 1, none of the characters in the world know what it is, so why are they killing each other for it?

A good story needs good villains. It's kind of a bummer to me that both the ladies are on the bad guy team, and we don't really know anything about them yet. (Shuka seems like just an AI actually). It makes the series even more of a sausagefest than usual. Also don't know about the guy watching the monitors.

Hope they can keep up with the character development and show me some novel things with the story!
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

It took 1/3rd of the allotted episodes, but yes, we finally have the fail state! Dying in game means dying in real life is a big trope, but I'm happy with it because it's an immediate fear that we all relate to.

This was a good episode. I'm not quite as pleased with the twist as everyone else seems to be, because the show played both us the viewer and the characters in the show. First of all, they've established that PVP is allowed and possibly encouraged, so the seed is planted in everyone's minds that that's how this game is to proceed. Second of all, when the item summoning demonstration is happening, it's never said whether you pick your item once or if you can swap it out. But the fact that this is never mentioned, and none of the characters wonder or experiment, leads the viewer to assume it's a one-time summon. So of course, Kuon's key summon is the easy plot twist!

I do appreciate how it forces the characters to self-reflect on their actions though!

Moving forward, I'd like them to start making clear how this a Garo show, and maybe see more of the armor in motion or use...
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real

Return to “-Versus Road-”