Geiz Majesty released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:53 pm

★★★★★
67%
★★★★
17%
★★★
17%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Geiz Majesty released

Post by ViRGE »

Well, it doesn't make up for the wreck that was the Zi-O series. But as a standalone adventure, Geiz Majesty is pretty entertaining.

To be honest, I forgot that the canonical ending to Zi-O was that everyone became high school students. So for the first half of the movie, I was watching it as a "what if" story. And I feel like that worked better than being a continuation of the Zi-O series; my amusement actually went down a peg once I remembered that this was following a world reset for Zi-O. Perhaps that's what Toei should have done as well, but oh well.

Anyhow, focusing the episode on Geiz was a good idea. And not for nostalgia reasons (though that that certainly plays a part), but because Geiz's actor comes off as the strongest of the trio. I generally dislike dissecting acting skills too much since the material itself is a huge factor, but Geiz's actor is just straight-up more believable as the character than Sougo's is; he's a lot more entertaining to watch as a result. So making a story where he's the lead works better for everyone, as it lets the strongest actor carry the production.

The actual story is nothing terribly deep. But it's entertaining enough. Geiz is a good guy, even if he (rightfully) wanted to kill Kamen Rider Turnip early on. So giving him a story where he gets to be the big hero - and in a reasonably believable way - works well. His new form is nothing special in regards to design, but it's a good analog to Grand Zi-O. Though like the other DTV movie suits, it's clearly not designed to be durable; at no point do any of the villains make contact with the suit (I presume they only have a "hero" version and not a "stunt" version). Which makes him look powerful for sure, but also borders on being a bit silly.

And oh man, that transformation jingle. That "little" song was 28 seconds long. Mind you, that's not the entire transformation sequence, but just the jingle itself. I don't believe even Grand Zi-O's full jingle was quite that long. It's really quite ridiculous.:lol:

Meanwhile, as everyone else has already noted: yay, Tsukuyomi actually gets to do something as a Rider! That only took 20 months. It's basically fan service, but I'll take it.

Speaking of fan service, I wasn't expecting there to be a bunch of secondary riders in this movie, as it was a DTV production. So that was a pleasant surprise. I'm also a bit surprised that it was mostly older characters - I think Birth is technically the most recent - but then again Birth and Accel are always fun to watch. Toei presses the nostalgia button hard with Zi-O, and this movie is no exception, but it's handled better here than it is in a lot of Zi-O episodes.

What in the sam hell was up with that sequel bait ending though? As far as I know, this is the only DTV movie that Zi-O is getting. They only initially announced the one and never announced a second. So that's a bit frustrating in a sense, as it teases something that was never in the works.

Side note: Boy, Tokyo must have good hospitals if a broken foot gets you inpatient treatment and an overnight stay! :shock:
KRDangerousZombie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:29 am I'm also in two minds whether Another Diend was a lazy alteration to the old Kaijin Rider suit from that Decade x Shinkenger crossover, an intentional homage to said crossover or both.
Aha, that's why that suit looks so familiar! That is definitely a rework of the Diend kaijin; I'd recognize the face and shoulders anywhere. It looks like they stripped out the Shinkenger monster elements and reworked it to be closer to Another Decade. Which makes sense for a budget-limited DTV movie.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:18 pm Reiwa the First Generation. They released them on disc out of order.
What's the chronological order here, anyhow? Does this movie come first, or Reiwa. I'm assuming Geiz comes first since it was almost certainly filmed shortly after the series ended. But I reserve the right to be wrong.
Catastrophe wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:58 am Why is it people still get hung up about 'That's the way they wanted'.

Gord Drive motherfuckers. They don't use foreign languages correctly.
"We don't care. We don't have to. We're the phone company Toei."
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

It's technically Zi-O ends, Zero-One starts, Reiwa the First Generation (since it was in theaters), then Geiz Majesty. It's just they released Geiz Majesty on Blu-ray before Reiwa. But obviously it doesn't matter since you can see nothing happens in Reiwa that affects Geiz Majesty.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

My magma gets fucked!!
Crazy_Phil
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by Crazy_Phil »

Minor subtitle editing mistake: at around 16:00 minutes the subtitles say "upon" instead of "up on". Like I said, minor mistake.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Ahh okay. I liked alot. It's kinda cool how they kept the time line and still found a way to give them back their powers. He looked like he was have a blast rediscovering those riders on his form.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Lunagel wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:47 am My magma gets fucked!!
How could I forget that majestic one?
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

The Greatest Savior has descended!

Post by FangTrigger »

While the Zi-O movie made me want to punch it in it's face, I wholeheartedly embrace Geiz Majesty with open arms! I liked everything about this one, including the guest characters.

What really makes this one stand out was how serviceable it was to past Kamen Rider fans without being overbearing or too far-fetched. Heck, even Schwartz being an obscure jackass got a solid giggle out of me. Actually, all of the Time Jackers had more character here than they did in the original timeline which is quite sad really, but I'll take it.

Gotta say though, it feels weird seeing Ryuu with those bags under his eyes. Growing old really shows more on Asian men than it does women, so much so that I didn't even recognize Date-San until he transformed into Birth again.

Going off topic for a second, I was playing Yu-Gi-Oh online via duelingnexus.com and came across a user name Zi-O II and while we both agreed that the series wasn't great, the belt jingles are undeniably great, and Majesty's was so great even Kuro Woz couldn't help but IWAE! at it.

Something that bothered me was how much Woz literally sucked in this movie. First, White Woz swallowed Another DiEnd's watch, then Kuro Woz swallowed White Woz whole. Man, if this isn't Fujoushi bait, I don't know what is.

All in all, Geiz Majesty is a V-Cinema I will return to enjoy time and time again.
nbajammer
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Wizard
Dreamy: Miu Sutou
Favorite Band: AKB48
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu

Post by nbajammer »

Just out of curiousity, why did you guys go with Geitsu as the spelling, as opposed to the Geiz you used during the series and which is also on the title screen?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

nbajammer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:24 pm Just out of curiousity, why did you guys go with Geitsu as the spelling, as opposed to the Geiz you used during the series and which is also on the title screen?
Because he's lost his memory. His name is Geitsu in kanji but everyone who still has their memory calls him Geiz in katakana.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

nbajammer wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:24 pm Just out of curiousity, why did you guys go with Geitsu as the spelling, as opposed to the Geiz you used during the series and which is also on the title screen?
Because Geiz's backstory has changed. Before they spelled his name in katakana like a foreign word, which makes sense since he's this weird alien time traveler Geiz (GE-I-TSU ゲイツ). This is clearly not a Japanese word because Japanese uses a consonant-vowel syllable structure.

But now that the world is reset, he's just a Japanese kid. So now he has a Japanese name, thus they spell it with a kanji Geitsu (Gei-tsu 景都). You can see the difference in the credits.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

To be honest, I kinda went into this movie ready to dismiss and dislike it because I knew it was following directly from Zi-O's ending, which I hated. A lot. As long as I try my best to ignore all that and just view the characters in this movie entirely in a vacuum, it's actually quite fine. This version of the cast are a bunch of a high-schoolers that get wrapped up in a goofy adventure in which they have to transform into Kamen Riders to save the day, simple and good fun! Also Woz is there for some reason and he eats a guy. Why.

Though that meant when they did draw connects back to the actual Zi-O show, that's when I started having problems with it. Okay, so I do kinda understand why they made the decisions they did in this story. In a story focusing on Geiz, you'd want to draw from what was his biggest and most prominent themes from the show, and that means his whole thing as a 'saviour' and White Woz too. This movie gives Geiz the chance to become 'El Savatore' and has him passionately shout out that he will be a savoir... but in the series, the big turning point of his character was him rejecting the role of saviour and coming to Sougo's side. Having him embrace that title so readily feels like it's going backwards.

Ah whatever, this is probably the last Zi-O material we'll get, so I guess it won't matter in the long-run. I liked all the cameos here. Shame we couldn't get Birth's and Accel's old iconic soundtracks to accompany their appearances, but it's still nice to not only see them in action, but also going about their regular jobs and giving advice to Geiz that relates to their stories from their shows. Kusaka in contrast was just kinda there. Also Diend's always a fun menace to whatever story he's in.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Two thumbs up from me. Ora is suitably tsundere, Heure is a suitably whipped puppy, Schwartz is suitably menacing, and Tsukuyomi is suitably perky. I was actually a little let down when all the Kamen Rider stuff showed up since they were doing a great job having a teen anime episode with the cast. They could have stretched out that anime for a whole season with the plot of "The Peach Girl" where Tsukuyomi gets ping ponged between Gietsu and Sougo in a love triangle by the machinations of Ora.
nbajammer
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Wizard
Dreamy: Miu Sutou
Favorite Band: AKB48
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu

Post by nbajammer »

Lunagel wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:18 pm
Because he's lost his memory. His name is Geitsu in kanji but everyone who still has their memory calls him Geiz in katakana.
takenoko wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:17 pm
Because Geiz's backstory has changed. Before they spelled his name in katakana like a foreign word, which makes sense since he's this weird alien time traveler Geiz (GE-I-TSU ゲイツ). This is clearly not a Japanese word because Japanese uses a consonant-vowel syllable structure.

But now that the world is reset, he's just a Japanese kid. So now he has a Japanese name, thus they spell it with a kanji Geitsu (Gei-tsu 景都). You can see the difference in the credits.
That makes sense, thank you both kindly for clarifying for me. :)
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I do like this movie but I feel like Geiz Majesty is a copy of Complete DiEnd especially that both have their forms debut in a post-series movie.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Phoenix512 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:50 am I do like this movie but I feel like Geiz Majesty is a copy of Complete DiEnd especially that both have their forms debut in a post-series movie.
You're not wrong. Both are basically movies where the secondary riders get a thematically-appropriate copy of the main rider's ultimate form. It's something that would arguably be out of place in the series proper - only the titular hero gets to have the ultimate power - but is easy fodder for a movie.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”