Reiwa the First Generation released

Everything starts at 0. I mean 1.
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zero-One Wiki Link

< Zi-O | Zero-One |

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:06 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
56%
☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
6%
No votes

Total votes: 16
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: Reiwa the First Generation released

Post by HowlingSnail »

Correct, you can make Humagear replicas of someone, as long as the person consents to it. Presumably this is to avoid a situation like that one episode of Futurama.

I really liked that movie. It helps that the Zi-O elements were kept to a minimum. Nice that we got to see Tsukuyomi fight some more. It's funny, if they end up making another Zi-O V-Cinema, Tsukuyomi will be in more movies than episodes.

Also fun fact, Grandpa Hiden had his birthday on set for this movie, which I only know from watching the Making Of on the Blu-Ray.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Kamen Rider Ookalf wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:27 am Wasn't the law specifically that a Humagear can't be made based on a real person without that person's consent? Maybe the original Soreo just gave permission for his double to be made in case anything happened.
That sounds right. I remember the daughter episode wasn't allowed because the daughter had died and thus couldn't provide permission.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Given Humagear technology was in its infancy at the time, it's not unreasonable to assume that law wasn't passed until after this time period. Or we could be expecting to much from Rider world building.

Good movie. Zi-Os presence didn't fuck up the story with the time travelling and everything was pretty coherent.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

You know, this, combined with Geiz Majesty has really made me turnaround on Zi-O as a series. It's actually kind of good when you cut out the main Zi-O story???
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Same thing happened with Decade. It's the half assed cross overs that do it.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

With the exception of the more convoluted bullshit that popped up 2/3 of the way through the movie, this was awesome. I LOOOVED seeing Tsukuyomi kicking ass not just with her timejacker powers, but as a Rider as well and HOLY FAK IS SHE OP AS A RIDER!!! I also giggled like a crazy person at the chase scene with Aruto going, "WTF IS GOING ON HERE!?!?!?!?!?!?"
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Wow that was a good movie. this entire world needs Zero-One right now.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

I'm going to have to disagree with the majority here and say that I didn't like this movie at all. Many scenes dragged on for a while and I didn't find the plot to be all that engaging. I just found the entire movie to be a flimsy excuse for Aruto to fight his robo dad for some reason. Then at the end it turns out Sougo still had the Grand Zi-O watch so why did we go through any of this trouble? Why even bother with trinity or 2? Just pull out grand zi-o, summon a bunch of riders, beat up the movie exclusive time jacker, and get back to your high school AU in time for lunch.

I will admit that Tsukuyomi actually doing things and using her time jacker powers in fight scenes was rather nice.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This movie felt a lot more coherent than most Kamen Rider team-up movies, and checking the credits it's easy to see why. It was written by Zero One's lead writer, which explains not only the heavy focus on Aruto, but also why the Zi-O characters weren't especially well written. Not that I don't like smart and introspective Sougo - in fact it's an outright improvement over his usual turnip nature - but it's not particularly in-character for him. And it's just as well; those guys have Geiz Majesty, so I'm a-okay with them being sidelined in favor of Zero One.

I'm a bit bummed that this is essentially an AU adventure, because it has some interesting moments and some interesting ideas. In particular, I like how the movie was used to team up wi6th the time-traveling Kamen Rider to go back to the past of Zero One, which is something that has been integral to the show. We get to see more of Grandpa Hiden and Dad-bot, and that's great. I just wish we got to see more of them in the series' actual timeline, instead of this alternate timeline where their situations and actions have no lasting relevance.

Still, we've learned a bit more about what happened back when the bots had their uprising. I like that it turns out that Dad-bot built the Zero One rider system. That actually works better than the idea of Grandpa Hiden making it, though it does leave the lingering question of how he ended up holding on to it for all of these years.

Artistically, I like the direction of this movie. This goes for the focus on the Hiden family, as well as the pacing and letting certain moments sink in. But I would be remiss if I said it was a good plot. Robots succeeding in taking over the world is a natural progression from the series' ongoing conflict, but it's also been done to death in movies over the last 40 years. So it comes off as being perhaps a bit too on the nose here. Also, the movie has some rather glaring plot holes and contrivances, such as the entire bit about Geiz's time machine somehow being key to the lady timejacker's plans. In fact pretty much everything involving her is a plot hole, which I suppose isn't too surprising since this wasn't written by the Zi-O writers.

Meanwhile, I was surprised by how little we saw of proper Zero One. Since Aruto is without his driver for most of the movie, we get 001. Which itself a neat design, and an interesting departure from using the winter movie to show off the first upgrade form. As someone already noted, 001 looks better than the suits for the actual Forceriser users. Still, 001 is not Zero One, and I have to admit I missed having our titular hero for most of the movie.

On the other hand the movie did have just the right amount of Izu. She's important to Aruto, but not important to the events of the past. But I'm still of two minds on the character. On a meta level, I feel kind of bad for the actress, as Izu doesn't give her a chance to show much range (at least at this point in the series). Izu is a very limited character, almost like a doll in some respects. On the other hand, seeing dirty, post-apocalyptic Izu is somehow unsettling? It's like someone kicked your dog. Meanwhile, Izu holding up Aruto is hilarious for all the wrong reasons. He's so much taller than her that it looks ridiculous to start with, and then his right hand ends up about an inch away from causing a lawsuit.:shock: :lol:

(Side note: what's up with Siesta? For a minor supporting character she stands out too much, such as Aruto escaping with both Izu and her after the shareholder meeting).

Finally, on a technical note, did anyone else find the 5.1 audio mix to be weird? Normally Toei screws things up by making the transformation jingles and other "key" sound effects too loud. But this movie went in exactly the opposite direction: those sound effects were far quieter than the rest of the audio sources in the movie. I'm not sure if this is Toei remastering the audio for the home release and overdoing it, or what.

Stray observations:
  • "If people went extinct today, what would you do?" Well that's a hell of a question to ask, Tsukuyomi. Are we sure in Zi-O's new reality she isn't pulling some kind of Sweeney Todd shenanigans?
  • Rising Hopper coming from down below. That's actually a good gag.
  • Those P-bandai Humagear headsets make a lot more sense now. Toei used a ton of extras in this movie; they must have produced a very large number of them.
  • The Ichigo/CGI monster thing was terrible, both from a nostalgia standpoint as well as an action standpoint. But that's par for the course for Toei.
  • Is Finnis's actress anyone important? It has an air of celebrity stunt casting to it...
  • Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?
takenoko wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:06 pm I'm a little sad that this series doesn't go deeper into the sci-fi stuff. Like that robot just asked his robot master for fair compensation for the work they do and his master ignored him. That's screwed up. It's like that episode of Star Trek where Data is on trial. Korenosuke just wants to make a slave race of expendable people.
That scene really surprised me. The series proper has always portrayed Grandpa Hiden in a very positive light. But his response to Will's question about compensation was very discordant with that image. Hiden's response was closer to someone trying to dismiss the question through flattery rather than struggling to come up with an honest answer.
Catastrophe wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:24 pm Same thing happened with Decade. It's the half assed cross overs that do it.
Truth! Toei tends to force feed their scripts so much nostalgia that the story ends up choking on it.
windfall wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:42 am I just found the entire movie to be a flimsy excuse for Aruto to fight his robo dad for some reason.
Interestingly, that fight works on multiple levels. Within the story, it's Aruto fighting Dad-bot. However the stunt acting was done by Nawata Yuuya and Takaiwa Seiji. So it was also the new KR suit actor fighting the old KR suit actor, making it a generational handoff of sorts. (Also, it illustrates just how damn chunky Takaiwa Seiji is these days :lol: )
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!

Post by hiro9796 »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:47 am On the other hand the movie did have just the right amount of Izu. She's important to Aruto, but not important to the events of the past. But I'm still of two minds on the character. On a meta level, I feel kind of bad for the actress, as Izu doesn't give her a chance to show much range (at least at this point in the series). Izu is a very limited character, almost like a doll in some respects. On the other hand, seeing dirty, post-apocalyptic Izu is somehow unsettling? It's like someone kicked your dog. Meanwhile, Izu holding up Aruto is hilarious for all the wrong reasons. He's so much taller than her that it looks ridiculous to start with, and then his right hand ends up about an inch away from causing a lawsuit.:shock: :lol:
Oops. Hopefully that was not intentional by any means if not for the story context that Aruto did not have the strength to stand. Yeah, it is feeling more unsettling since it is so close yet cannot be helped about that since it is already done.
ViRGE wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:47 am
takenoko wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:06 pm I'm a little sad that this series doesn't go deeper into the sci-fi stuff. Like that robot just asked his robot master for fair compensation for the work they do and his master ignored him. That's screwed up. It's like that episode of Star Trek where Data is on trial. Korenosuke just wants to make a slave race of expendable people.
That scene really surprised me. The series proper has always portrayed Grandpa Hiden in a very positive light. But his response to Will's question about compensation was very discordant with that image. Hiden's response was closer to someone trying to dismiss the question through flattery rather than struggling to come up with an honest answer.
Hmm... Truthfully I felt like Korenosuke should have honestly said that he hasn't come up with an answer for that or he hasn't thought up that far and apologised. Yet again, we should expect this is a mistake he made despite his optimism of humagears opens the path for a future with infinite possibilities. I mean, come on, Aruto couldn't even forced Smile to focus on profit when Thouser dismantled her for days I presume, and did not even thought ahead for continuing the rapper campaign, possibility of the corrupted politician to fabricate fake evidence against them and all. Maybe we want Korenosuke to be honest yet it is necessary he cannot be perfect. Maybe the head writer thought to do so but the other staffs disagree? Since Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are just written within just a year ahead instead of being adopted from existing light novels we have to expect changes that we won't ever know. While changes from original light novel and adaptation can happen, we can know how it should turn out if one felt dissatisfied with the adapted version and vice versa.
ViRGE wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:47 am Finally, on a technical note, did anyone else find the 5.1 audio mix to be weird? Normally Toei screws things up by making the transformation jingles and other "key" sound effects too loud. But this movie went in exactly the opposite direction: those sound effects were far quieter than the rest of the audio sources in the movie. I'm not sure if this is Toei remastering the audio for the home release and overdoing it, or what.
I thought I was the only one hearing things but I guess they want to emphasis the background music/OST used? Plus, I think the cinema did not want the too loud electronics from toys wreck the room? If the toy sounds are just as loud as the background music, it drowns the feeling of being in a cinema to watch movies since movies alone had background music being too loud as it is in a closed room when played in the cinema.
ViRGE wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:47 am Still, we've learned a bit more about what happened back when the bots had their uprising. I like that it turns out that Dad-bot built the Zero One rider system. That actually works better than the idea of Grandpa Hiden making it, though it does leave the lingering question of how he ended up holding on to it for all of these years.
I think we did know Bot-Soreo create it in the series (I forgot which episode if there is)? I mean, Korenosuke may have come up with that idea but Soreo was the one who did the technical stuff with designing the blueprints, progrise keys and all. Plus, Korenosuke is the president and an entreprenuer, that is what he does best more than programming and science. Bot-Soreo is a Humagear, with fast thinking processor than humans, meant for multi-purpose jobs and it would not be impossible or surprising to design all that blueprints and keys, upload it to Satellite There for future use just by himself. Korenosuke wrote his will, secretly change the patents ownership of Zero-One technology and Humagear related items from company to personal use, create Izu and left some of his message to Was. If you think of it that way, it is more coherent than Korenosuke doing all that work of designing Zero-One. I don't think Korenosuke, a 60-70 year old grandpa would burn the midnight oil for every single day and night on a computer trying to do programming and designing when he was the CEO who got everything preoccupied as it is with the company's deals and trades.
Last edited by hiro9796 on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I do find it funny when Sougo, Geiz, and Tsukuyomi get their memories and outfits back that Sougo's outfit is a downgrade compared to his school uniform. The future king looks like he's homeless.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

[*]Rising Hopper coming from down below. That's actually a good gag.

It also functions as a hint that Satellite There is not in the sky, but actually still on Earth at this point in the movie. I'm not sure if it was clear to people that was why it appeared out of the ground that time.

[*]Is Finnis's actress anyone important? It has an air of celebrity stunt casting to it...

"Ikoma Rina is a Japanese idol singer and actress. She is a former member of the girl group Nogizaka46, and AKB48's Team B. She was a first generation member of Nogizaka46, and was one of the first appointed to be the center position in the group. "

>That scene really surprised me. The series proper has always portrayed Grandpa Hiden in a very positive light. But his response to Will's question about compensation was very discordant with that image. Hiden's response was closer to someone trying to dismiss the question through flattery rather than struggling to come up with an honest answer.

To be fair, he knows that Will literally wants to betray him and might be in cahoots with his robo son

>Truth! Toei tends to force feed their scripts so much nostalgia that the story ends up choking on it.

That's how they get all those nostalgia bucks

>Interestingly, that fight works on multiple levels. Within the story, it's Aruto fighting Dad-bot. However the stunt acting was done by Nawata Yuuya and Takaiwa Seiji. So it was also the new KR suit actor fighting the old KR suit actor, making it a generational handoff of sorts. (Also, it illustrates just how damn chunky Takaiwa Seiji is these days :lol: )

Old vs new, I like it!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Phoenix512 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:12 am I do find it funny when Sougo, Geiz, and Tsukuyomi get their memories and outfits back that Sougo's outfit is a downgrade compared to his school uniform. The future king looks like he's homeless.
It turns out Sougo's dream isn't to be king of the world, but to be the Bowery King.:D
takenoko wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:30 am [*]Is Finnis's actress anyone important? It has an air of celebrity stunt casting to it...

"Ikoma Rina is a Japanese idol singer and actress. She is a former member of the girl group Nogizaka46, and AKB48's Team B. She was a first generation member of Nogizaka46, and was one of the first appointed to be the center position in the group. "
I feel like Japan has as many idol groups as we have garage bands. So I can't tell if that's an impressive résumé or a struggling actress.
>That scene really surprised me. The series proper has always portrayed Grandpa Hiden in a very positive light. But his response to Will's question about compensation was very discordant with that image. Hiden's response was closer to someone trying to dismiss the question through flattery rather than struggling to come up with an honest answer.

To be fair, he knows that Will literally wants to betray him and might be in cahoots with his robo son
That's a good point. Though if he had answered in a more thoughtful manner, it may have defused the situation. (But of course, then there would be no movie!)
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!

Post by hiro9796 »

Wait, I think there is a significance as to why the voice from the progrise keys was very low tune. Maybe it is because There was not launched into space and cannot give full power otherwise? Because it is loud when Zero One become Rising Hopper the second time near the end of the movie.
PTM966666
Adventure
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mikie Hara
Favorite Actor?: Tom Hanks
Favorite Band: Coldrain
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by PTM966666 »

Aside from the villain coming out of nowhere and Zi-O team has another excuse to regain their memory (and get erased again), this is a solid team-up Riders movie. Everything is well connected, the pacing is good, the story makes good use of the elements from both series.

Some ppl are concerned about Soreo violates the law that Humangear cannot be a replicate of a real person. But I believe both the series and the movie state that Soreo is a father Humangear built for Aruto, not a direct replicate of his late father, so it does not violate the law at all.

Let's talk about the action, most of them are good, I'm glad that they gave Tsukuyomi more actions and not wasting her like in the series. And boy the 001 vs Ichigata is probably one of the best high speed riders fight we have, not 5 seconds of cool effect but actual a decent length. But the final one is a bit rushed, mostly just a cool rider kick.

And the talk at the end between Fuwa and Yaiba about Fuwa had a dream he was a humangear clearly hinted about Naki is pretty cool too.

Overall, I am really satisfied with this movie.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zero-One”