Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo -Versus Road- 12 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki

Last week's rating: 4.4 / 5 (20 votes)

Alt Title: It's been a long (versus) road, but not really

I thought the ending was fine, but it's a bit anti-climactic. Garo's starting to have a problem with creating conflicts and not resolving them. Between Kouga being lost in time, Jinga out their being a dick, and Azami being a corrupting woman, how many open threads do we need?

I'm a little frustrated with a lack of explanation for what Shuka is supposed to be. I guess she's an AI, except you can kill her with a sword? Ah whatever, I guess the series doesn't really care about that.

I also don't like that Kuon turned away from the sword. So what was the point of all this? Of all those sacrifices and your best friend dying? Just so Kuon can go home and become a business man? I know Kuon never chose to be the savior of humanity, but Azami's still out there and he's the only person in hundreds of people worth enough to use that sword. C'mon.

I do enjoy that he takes a little part of each of the fighters with him and in a sense live on in him.

Is that Nishi Rintaro's voice as the voice of Garo's spirit? He's not in the credits, but it sounds like him.

Like I was telling my timer collaborator on this, I liked this series. I don't think it's the greatest, but it's frequently pretty consistently good. I wish there was a bit more to this story, but I feel like things that are competently done get overlooked. At least this series didn't do anything that overtly annoyed me. 4/5 stars for this episode and the series overall.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Garo -Versus Road- 12 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

For one, I didn't like that Azami's still alive.
Spoiler
Vanishing Line ended with one of El Dorado's superiors still at large despite there being a happy ending
Of course, all the CGI budget went to this episode. It's alright.

Overall, I'm fine with this show. I liked it for the most part because it's different from the other entries in the franchise and emphasized the martial arts stuntwork.

If this show truly made a good impression, I hope Tokushinsha can do a follow-up to this, because loose ends need to be tied up.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Xirix
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger

Post by Xirix »

I really enjoyed this series overall, it was definitely Jinga-y budget-wise, but all the actors were fantastic. I actually felt sorry for Hagiri at the end, dude's just a victim of the fucked up state of Makai Knights and Priests in whatever time this takes place, obviously doesn't excuse what he did, but his pathetic "Garo!" as he's dying was sad. (That said, how on earth did they get in such a state that they thought you needed to do battle royales to be worthy of Garo, did Jinga stop by one day and screw with everyone or something? XD)

I'd like it if Kuon returned, who knows, maybe he'll reluctantly have to don the armour again (also... how the hell is he getting out of there?), I totally called how this would end though, I knew Azami would kill Hagiri when he ends up failing, and I knew she'd just get bored and leave, I'm interested in what she's going to get up to, she has a LOT of Dark Metal now and that's a little scary.

Still super unsure if this series has any precursor to Ryuuga's first series, even though Garo came in from the heavens, I supposed it's entirely possible that Veil being made at all had some lasting damage.

Here's hoping this gets a continuation, though I'd put my money on a full length Raiga series being next. (Maybe with Zero joining him in his quest? Please? Amemiya-san please do that, it would be rad)
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Two weeks later Kuon's corpse is found in the middle of the wilderness completely ravaged by wild boars and only identifiable by dental records.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

This finale felt alright. It's clear that all the CG budget went here and I like the fight between Garo and Veil since it's the most normal of Garo we can get in this series. I like how Kuon did take the major contenders words on living as somewhat a motive to keep fighting and somehow overpower a grown experience knight

Disappointing that things don't have any resolution to some plot points like why is Hagiri that desperate to be a powerful protector, Barago you are not. Sucks that Azami is still alive by the end and essentially took off

Kuon leaving the sword and walking away I think could be fine since he's just a civilian caught in this mess so he has no real reason to be in makai affairs but at the same time, considering he's the only person in this timeline worthy of the title and he's the only person to know what Azami is doing, it feels empty since he could just take the sword and stop her but prefers to not deal with it
Last edited by Kurokage X on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Really weak ending, as I expected. Hagiri was never going to live, and Azami was never going to die/be beaten. I was hoping Kuon wouldn't walk away at the end, but the odds were high - and sure enough. There's way too many open and loose ends for me to enjoy this properly, as it casts a negative light on everything preceding. Unfortunately, absolutely nothing was resolved!

Episode itself was pretty good, though. CGI was rough in places, but in other spots it looked so natural I almost thought they mo-capped it. Absolutely adored Kuon "downloading" all his friends/fellow contestant's movesets to bust out on Veil. It felt like a proper final boss fight.

Had to laugh at the exchange:
"Then why will you live?"
"Because I don't wanna die."

At the end of the day, it was fun to watch. Not a bad show.

My final takeaway? Please, someone, Bandai, Toei, whoever is listening, make me a Garo VR figure. I will pay good money.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I have to agree that the ending felt a bit lame. They've been setting up the last couple of series with these sequel hooks that don't have follow ups.

Best part of the ending fight was Kuon as GARO incorporating the other fighters styles into his own, including Kanatas almighty dick kick, punting the Veil into the wall. That's the exact type of bookends I want in my toku.
NPCEnergy
Favorite series: Fay-voo-ret? ....OOO?
2nd Favorite Series: I really liked Gekiranger?
Dreamy: My previous joke here didn't work with just the dreamy tag. Shame

Post by NPCEnergy »

I know this is really out of no where and not about the episode itself... but has anyone else noticed that Kanata is in both halves of the running part in the opening?

This is something I noticed in episode one, and had tried to spend time seeing if the angle we seen Kuon running [with Kanata in the background]

So I had wondered if maybe Amou's half of that part of the opening might have Kuon in his background, but my eye sight isn't great haha. I also wondered if anyone else noticed that and if it's been mentioned before.
NPCEnergy
Favorite series: Fay-voo-ret? ....OOO?
2nd Favorite Series: I really liked Gekiranger?
Dreamy: My previous joke here didn't work with just the dreamy tag. Shame

Post by NPCEnergy »

As for the episode itself, I enjoyed the series as a whole, and I did enjoy this episode as well...

But I have to agree I felt a little bit let down that he left the saber behind?

MAYBE if the show has a direct sequel and things are getting.... HORRORible..sorry.. We'll see "someone's" hand grab the sword and BLAMMO.. Kuon accepts Garo? Probably not.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

NPCEnergy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:35 pm I know this is really out of no where and not about the episode itself... but has anyone else noticed that Kanata is in both halves of the running part in the opening?

This is something I noticed in episode one, and had tried to spend time seeing if the angle we seen Kuon running [with Kanata in the background]

So I had wondered if maybe Amou's half of that part of the opening might have Kuon in his background, but my eye sight isn't great haha. I also wondered if anyone else noticed that and if it's been mentioned before.
Oh, never noticed that. But it looks more like they're running away from Horrors than charging at each other in some diametrically opposed way?
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Two questions:

* Will the series continue as a live action musical?

* Will Azami out of boredom allow horrors to come back into the world and some cute Makai Priest has to convince Kuon to summon Garo to protect people?
Lunagel wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:38 am Two weeks later Kuon's corpse is found in the middle of the wilderness completely ravaged by wild boars and only identifiable by dental records.
lol
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Tuss4 »

I haven't posted in these forums in ages. I just have to say overall I really enjoyed this series. My one gripe:
Spoiler
I wish the final battle was a combination of CGI and some live action suits. I thought the costume design for this incarnation of Garo was pretty fire. I also wish Amou got to be Garo only because his actor was an actual fan of the series.
10/10 would re-watch and hope that there's another season or movie to wrap up loose ends.

Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

This Garo was a lot like Ryuki except that the protagonist who refused to kill won in the end. Because of this similarity that after episode 11 I had somehow expected that it will be Amou who will don the armor in the end. But it's a nice ending overall. Has a potential to be a full series with Sena becoming an official Makai Knight.
takenoko wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm I also don't like that Kuon turned away from the sword. So what was the point of all this? Of all those sacrifices and your best friend dying? Just so Kuon can go home and become a business man? I know Kuon never chose to be the savior of humanity, but Azami's still out there and he's the only person in hundreds of people worth enough to use that sword. C'mon.
What leaving the Garoken implies is that he's living not for the title of being Garo but to live in honor of those that died before him.
darkarmorwearer
Gao
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Yu Takahashi
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: REM
My boom: Tokusatsu Gagaga
Quote: Long, long ago! 20th century!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by darkarmorwearer »

I LOVE THAT HE DIDN'T TAKE THE SWORD! For me, the point is to "simply live". And that's so powerful considering the world we live in where everyone is trying to up the other person and acquire all the material things at any and all costs. Thank you so much everyone that worked on this series. Between stuff like this and Tokusatsu Gagaga, I've been loving these short heavy and entertaining series.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

I thought it was a pretty good show. Good action. The CGI fight at the end was.. It was a little wooden but the choreography was really good.

And both in-universe, and in a meta sense, this was never about Garo. For Kuon, it just was a tool to protect the memories of those who died in order for him to get there. Him leaving the sword behind is perfectly in character.

That being said, all of this feels like a prequel to something bigger. I hope we actually get that something bigger. But yeah I don't want to act like that's a sure thing now.

Return to “-Versus Road-”