Sixth Rangers' Debuts [SPOILERS]

Cause there's like a lot of other Sentai too

What do you think is the perfect time (episode) to introduce the Sixth Ranger?

Ep. 9 or earlier
No votes
Ep. 10-14
No votes
Ep. 15-19
20%
Ep. 20-24
80%
Ep. 25 or later
No votes

Total votes: 5
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Sixth Rangers' Debuts [SPOILERS]

Post by CheetahLynx »

In the latest Kiramager release thread as of posting this (Epsiode 11) I made a comment implying sixth rangers in Super Sentai seem to be making their debuts in earlier episodes nowadays.

The trigger for my comment was the preview for episode 12, which will feature the introduction of this year's sixth ranger, KirameiSilver. (Of course, I understand the SHT hiatus is also a contributor to this)
Upon further research, however, it seems I may have jumped the gun, as the only really ludicrously early introductions for Sixth rangers, in my opinion, are KyouryuuGold and StarNinger, both on episode 10 (not counting previous cameos, it was their respective first full appearances)

Still, I think this could be an interesting point of discussion: How early should the Sixth Ranger make their full debut?

(While on the topic, who is the "sixth" in KyuuRanger? Shou, Kotarou, or Tsurugi?)
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Sixth Rangers' Debuts [SPOILERS]

Post by hiro9796 »

Shirakura P claimed it was Shou Lonpou, Ryuu Commander. From this tweet on twitter.

https://twitter.com/cron204/status/1237014006725918721

Kotarou doesn't really do that much and he's pretty much the 9th limb out of the other rangers. If this is what they consider, Tsurugi would indeed be the first extra ranger to have more fighting screentime than previous extra rangers like Torin.

I would say anywhere from episode 15 to 21 is the best time for the debut. 25 is pretty late and 9 is too early for sixth ranger debut.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

In my opinion, I feel like episode 18-20 is the best. You need to have one really strong first story arc with the core 5 before you can introduce a 6th.

Introducing the 6th next week would have already been planned, but Kiramager hasn't had that first big general fight that has payoff for the main team. Bringing in the 6th too early detracts from the core team dynamic because then you have a 4 week stretch where you have to focus on the new guy.
KRDangerousZombie
7X
Favorite series: Sentai:Go-Busters Kamen Rider:W
2nd Favorite Series: Sentai:Toqger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by KRDangerousZombie »

I think somewhere between 17-20 ish is the sweet spot. long enough for the original cast to have gotten some development & defeated a general or something but not so long that the 6th doesn't have enough time to do anything interesting.

On the topic of Kyuuranger, I assumed it was accepted that Tsurugi was the actual 6th? he debuted around the time 6th rangers usually do, he got the same kinda push, the different transformation toy, all that jazz. the other two were even more minor characters than their 9 others. except Blue, who was ultra disrespected in that show.
Completed Series
Sentai
: Abaranger-Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider : Black to Zi-O
Garo : Every non-anime season.

Watching Series
Zero-One, Kiramager.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Agreed with both Catastrophe and KRDangerousZombie. 17/80 - 20 is the sweetspot, and the requirements being a story arc and general defeat (or at least a climatic fight, since Kiramei is only working with 2 generals right now) with the core group first. The Kiramagers have.... pretty much done nothing, yet, so this feels obscenely early. Silver is about to swoop in and eat up the next 2 - 4 weeks with focus on him.

Re: Kyuuranger, I see Tsurugi as the real 6th. Shou Lonpou was the extra, a la DekaMaster. All the others (Kotaro) were the extra-extra. :^)
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

It really does feel like Houou Soldier had the more sixth ranger vibe more than Ryuu Commander but then again, I feel like they both deserved to be sixth rangers. I mean, Go-Ongers had two, why not KyuuRanger? Although, just by fighting scenes in Lupin VS Pat VS Kyuu, Ryuu Commander, Balance and Naga fights alongside PatRAn/Lupin X suggest they are sixth ranger by what colours the sixth rangers usually are. Houou Soldier and Shishi Red alongside PatRan Ichigou and Lupin Red was more like a red-white colour scheme and red-black colour schemes team up.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Go-Onger having two made sense given how they were implemented.

With Kyuu, the ante is upped when Tsurugi joins the fray, and he has a lot of plot involvement like other 6ths, so it feels like he has the role.

Return to “Sentai”