Kiramager Episode 27 released

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:52 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
73%
☆☆☆☆
27%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15
Ryouga
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: Kiramager Episode 27 released

Post by Ryouga »

Geki was the first fansubbed series I saw, I watched Hurricanger-Boukenger with those awful HK subs back in the day that made no sense, and I have seen every season since and many of the older ones (I'd say I have seen 2/3 of Sentai shows now beginning to end)
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

It took me a few seconds to realize that it was the same Natsume and Miki from Gekiranger and once that went through my skull I had a nerdgasm xD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

It's awesome that they were able to get both actors back. It feels like they're lucky to get one actor back sometimes
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Looks like there are different vests for the power-up. When Sena used the power-up, the crystal was in the center not in the upper right area. So there might be an alternate vest for the non-Red rangers that has the crystal is in the center. Let's not kid ourselves that Red has an alternate vest with the crystal being on the left or right side.
vasyear
7X
Quote: don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining

Post by vasyear »

I knew they were ref. Gekiranger in the 1st ep but didn't expect them to have a sort of tribute episode to Gekiranger it was a great show that honoured both Kirameger and Gekiranger!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

A random Gekiranger tribute episode appears!

I do love me some Geki. And though what I'd really like is more Mele, I'll also gladly take Miki and Natsume instead.

That said, I have to echo some of the other comments here: why? It's not an anniversary season and even the thematic connection is tenuous at best (Sena wearing SCRTC gear throughout the series is more of a good in-joke than a plot element), so it does feel a bit out of place.

Overall this episode was a bit unfocused between handling the tribute and the plot. Though as we just got off of a major two-parter, obviously nothing super important was going to happen, which is probably also why this episode clearly was designed to be a budget-saver by recycling the MOTW and minimizing the use of extras. "Sena has great endurance due to her determination" is a simple plot, but it works decently enough for a character focus episode. (Side note: why am I not surprised that Toei managed to focus on the wrong part of the character?)

Otherwise, after this episode I reckon Sena's actress must actually be a pretty decent runner. I'm surprised by just how much running they had her doing for this episode; even if most of it was at a modest pace, her actress is easily running in 80% of the episode. That had to have been exhausting, especially if they used multiple takes.

Speaking of actors, it's interesting that Pink, Blue, and Yellow actors were essentially absent for 100% of the episode. Even Red and Silver were used gingerly. I wonder what they were off filming? (Or maybe they were just off?)

And it's a shame the mecha fight was so short. At 40 seconds it's quickly over, even by Kiramager standards.

Finally, Yodonna really needs to learn to dodge finisher attacks. Poor Garuza.:lol:
Lunagel wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:51 pm Kinda funny seeing the obviously not HD or widescreen Geki footage. I feel like this is a Sentai first? Have we ever gotten a sempai series' footage/actors in the same role as they played before? Excluding VS series, of course.
takenoko wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:53 pm Hasn't Sentai been released in widescreen since Boukenger. Why no native widescreen/HD footage for geki?
I'm not sure what the two of you are on about. Gekiranger was filmed on 35mm and mastered in 16:9 HD, and it was broadcasted as such. You guys even released a 720p HD encode about 10 years back that was ripped from an HD rebroadcast of the show.

As for this episode, it was clearly taken from Toei's masters. Nothing was upscaled or out of proportion; it would have looked significantly worse if it was. Perhaps the fact that it was shot on film is throwing people off? Toei did use a pretty soft and dull film stock right up to the end...

It's a shame that Toei has never released the series on Blu-ray, since they obviously have the HD masters somewhere in their vault of doom. Actually, here's a question: does TTFC carry old Sentai episodes?
BreadToku wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:01 am Why's everyone just repeating 'she hasnt grown an inch' like it's a mantra.
I think we're all just amazed at how tiny she is. You look at her and she's clearly a decade older than the last time we saw her. But a the same time, she's the same small size. Considering that she was a young teenager when Geki was filmed, it's a bit brain-breaking. I would have expected her to grow some more before adulthood.

And just to do the numbers here (because I like math), 143cm would put her 15cm (~6 inches) shorter than the average Japanese woman. Overall, she's more than two standard deviations shorter than the average. According to the table I'm looking at, that puts her in the 1.7th percentile for height, which is to say that 98% of Japanese women are taller than her. She is seriously short!

Not helping matters is the fact that she's surrounded by Miki's actress, who is naturally tall to begin with, and the (above average) boys have over a foot on her as well.
Phoenix512 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:43 pm Looks like there are different vests for the power-up. When Sena used the power-up, the crystal was in the center not in the upper right area. So there might be an alternate vest for the non-Red rangers that has the crystal is in the center. Let's not kid ourselves that Red has an alternate vest with the crystal being on the left or right side.
Good eye! That's very interesting. I'm surprised they'd make multiple vests like that given how otherwise minor of a detail it is.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

I loved this episode. So many little bits of Geki tribute too, such as Miki being a user of the Leopard style and Natsume's dancing moves which are a reference to Gekiranger Lesson 7, when the Gekiranger joined Natsume's dance class to be able to defeat the Scorpion style user, Sorisa.

I could tell Kazue Itou and Sakina Kuwae were thrilled to be back.

Time to rewatch Gekiranger~
Behold the Emperor!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

> do love me some Geki. And though what I'd really like is more Mele, I'll also gladly take Miki and Natsume instead.

I wonder wshat she's up to lately? Last I heard she was doing stage stuff

>I'm not sure what the two of you are on about. Gekiranger was filmed on 35mm and mastered in 16:9 HD, and it was broadcasted as such. You guys even released a 720p HD encode about 10 years back that was ripped from an HD rebroadcast of the show.It's a shame that Toei has never released the series on Blu-ray, since they obviously have the HD masters somewhere in their vault of doom. Actually, here's a question: does TTFC carry old Sentai episodes?

I was trusting Luna! But Geki is on TTFC. Should make some new raws? HMmmmmmmmmm. Though some blu-rays would be nice too
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:52 am
windfall wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:47 am It happened a few times in Ninninger.
Did it? I think I must've blocked most of that series cause I can't remember any crossovers except maybe in the movies.
and Magi Yellow made a cameo in an episode that was focused on Yakumo, which was the Blue member since you MiB flashy thinged it from your memory. on and Global ninja Jiraiya was also in Ninnin and they got a power up from him too a believe.

did anyone notice the Triangle poster in the back behind Miki when she spoke with Sena about running faster? i believe they were in their role call poses too but i could be wrong. "they were popular among esports players for awhile" hm! thats interesting! but really nice throw back episode, and Kira didnt even get some sort of geki inspired power up. nice!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:38 pm Geki is on TTFC. Should make some new raws? HMmmmmmmmmm. Though some blu-rays would be nice too
I don't believe Geki was ever released on Blu-ray, unfortunately.:( So if it is on TTFC, then yeah, you guys should make some new raws and check it out. If they pulled those episodes from the masters instead of the DVDs (which is always a possibility), then they would be in HD, making TTFC the first time the entirety of Geki was available in HD. :D
Last edited by ViRGE on Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:25 pm
takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:38 pm Geki is on TTFC. Should make some new raws? HMmmmmmmmmm. Though some blu-rays would be nice too
I don't believe Geki was ever released on Blu-ray, unfortunately.:( So if it is on TTFC, then yeah, you guys should make some new raws and check it out. If they pulled those episodes from the masters instead of the DVDs (which is always a possibility), then they would be in HD, making TTFC the first time the entirely of Geki was available in HD. :D
Ahaha I could have sworn Geki was sd fullscreen but guess not. The footage looked a bit blurry to me so I just assumed.

I checked TTFC just now and Geki is actually on there. I dunno if it's true HD or not but it looks pretty HD to me~
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

midorininger wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:39 pm did anyone notice the Triangle poster in the back behind Miki when she spoke with Sena about running faster? i believe they were in their role call poses too but i could be wrong. "they were popular among esports players for awhile" hm! thats interesting! but really nice throw back episode, and Kira didnt even get some sort of geki inspired power up. nice!
Wow, good catch. Love geki

I can try ripping an ep to see the quality
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:42 pm I checked TTFC just now and Geki is actually on there. I dunno if it's true HD or not but it looks pretty HD to me~
:D :D :D
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

i feel so stupid asking this but who was natsume in geki?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Mikis daughter. She was only in a handful of episodes.

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”