Kiramager Episode 40 released

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:03 am

☆☆☆☆☆
43%
☆☆☆☆
43%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
7%
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kiramager Episode 40 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Kiramager's rating: 4.5 of 5 stars (8 votes)

Alt Title: Otaku power zenkai?

I wonder if any of the hostages at 4:20 are suit actors

6:30 The LupinRanger fictional manga is now an anime. Rejoice!

How much to get tickled by Sena and the rock girl?

Your first mistake was reading the comments, Ha-san

Gets creeped out by the holding hands scene

What is this story??? Oh, Sky Mage is useful again

Again with the unexpect lessons. I guess it's nice for the adult viewers who I guess are supposed to identify with Hatta? I wonder if it means anything that his name is a reference to Hatte Saburou, the fictional creator of Sentai.

Why'd the guy's house disappear, he's not a ghost. Again, I don't know if I understand the messaging here? I guess it's cool to be a hikkikomori otaku and befriend kids? I enjoyed the episode, but I'm not sure I get it.

Looks like some fresh faces this time:
Writer Tokunaga Tomihiko
Director Hayama Koichirou
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Re: Kiramager Episode 40 released

Post by decade368990 »

Hayama Koichirou did the Mashin Talk episodes last year on May and June.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

My sole complain is that Kiramager is still in the monster of the week format until the next episode despite the fact that it's probably 8 or less episodes away from its finale. Some sort of a countdown to the apocalypse should be happening already and that doesn't seem to be the case.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

That's pretty typical though? When four episodes is a month and your viewers don't have that great an attention span, you don't want to tip your hand too soon.

With only 5 episodes left, I predict probably the third to last will see the start of endgame
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

A very nice episode. Focused on some serious topics. It’s a bit rushed but, still good. The fact that they put these serious topics in the episode is pretty interesting I think.
Ok, more of Juuru’s art… Cool…. I guess?
LMAO… Calorie….. So now Juuru is officially “Joule”… Joule and Calorie, what a pair!! Seriously, don’t they have better names apart from different units of energy/heat energy?
“Turning humans into Jamenjuu” is a nice plan indeed. If this works, it will be a disaster.
What is with the close-up shots of everyone? Kinda creepy and annoying. And of course, Tametomo’s close-up shot is cracking me up!!!!
Oh, they really are dumb huh? How would Shiguru know the Jamenshi’s abilities so fast? They couldn’t get that, that the guy who spit out the Jamenshi’s powers first is the impostor? And it had to be Sena, just like how Ren acts without thinking every time? Oh, c’mon. We just learned that Sena is not like Ren a few weeks ago.
And why did they make Shiguru bleed like how they make people bleed when they’re turned on?
So, they’re making a HUGE deal out of the “Good Three” manga, just like they did for the Lupinrangers in Lupin Vs Pat. The manga is such a small element of the SS universe, why are they going as far as giving it an “anime adaption”? I mean, aren’t there enough mangas about phantom thieves in Japan already?
Didn’t that doll on the artist’s shelf look a lot like Dekared?
Why are they poking Shiguru all over and bugging him like that???!!
Whoa! The story and atmosphere became dark all of a sudden….
Ok, so why is Sena the one doing the tickling and not being tickled? Did someone ever guarantee or say that the impostor isn’t disguised as Sena? And why aren't they tickling Tametomo? Also, who made Shiguru in charge, that they started the attack when Shiguru ordered?
LMAO, “Tickle Squad”…. Why is Sena a tickler anyway?
And that scene where they were tickling Sayo on the ground…. Lol.
Wow, they actually brought up a serious topic like Cyberbullying on Sentai. I’m surprised…. My respect and love for Kiramager just increased even more.
Wow, out of all the people, Calorie is the impostor??!! Dark….!
Wow, the scenes shot during the mech fight were pretty amazing.
This is the first time I’ve seen “Joule” so serious, I think.
Why was Juuru holding back when Yodonna showed up? Do they have to let her go EVERY TIME??!
The ending scene felt too short….
A great episode. Focuses on some serious topics, but I think it could’ve been handled in a better way. Still, pretty nice.
So, now they’re featuring Yodonna in the mid-credits scene… Lol.
Spoiler
Next time, (quoting Mizuishi Atomu) KirameiNyaa??!!
Last edited by Thenosa Yechette on Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

The freewheeling nature of Kiramager has delivered us some odd episodes before, but this was easily the weirdest episode of the entire run. So much so that I'm having a hard time contextualizing it, because I'm not at all sure what the goal of the episode was meant to be.

At a high level, this was a strangely serious episode. Outside of the tickle fights and other clone shenanigans, it was played very straight with regards to drama. And it definitely got dark in a way that few other Sentai episodes do; the crew made a point of showing Hatta's dreams (and ego) getting crushed.

All of which really stands out in a series that's best known for having spandex-clad heroes fight monsters, especially as this episode devoted so little time to the matter. The first ground fight was 30 seconds, and then we had another 20 seconds of infighting shenanigans. The mecha fight is longer than usual, but only because it's intercut with dramatic sequences. The crew does a good job of making all of this seem longer than it is, but in reality this was an episode very light on action (and stuntie use in general).

I'm aware of the Hikikomori phenomena in Japan, so I have a basic understanding of the cultural context. But as far as this specific episode is concerned, I'm unsure why it's being referenced here. Was this meant to be a Very Special Episode dedicated to Super Sentai's adult fans? Or did they need to produce an episode light on action (say, to free up the stunties for movie filming) and end up going a bit too far down that rabbit hole? As a long-term fan, I look at the production side perhaps a bit too much, so I'm kind of lost without understanding what the goal of the production staff was. If this was a western TV show, there's be a magazine interview somewhere talking about how it's meant to be an episode focusing on mental health or such.

In any case, kudos to Hatta's actor. He nailed delivering an uneasy character; you could tell things were a bit off the entire time.

On a lighter note, I'm glad they remembered the golem again. However they missed a golden opportunity to have both the golem and the MOTW out impersonating rangers at the same time.:( They also remembered Land Mage, but strangely they went through some lengths to hide the fact that they weren't using the suit, rather than just using the actual suit.

Oh, and Jewel, next time don't wait until after Yodonna steals the stone before you finish off the MOTW!

Movie trailer

In case anyone here doesn't regularly check the CMs, the first Kiramager movie trailer is in there! It's quite short and makes the movie feel more like an episode of the series. But hopefully we'll get a proper trailer close to the premiere. On the plus side, it has Sena in a wedding dress! :lol:
takenoko wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:03 am 6:30 The LupinRanger fictional manga is now an anime. Rejoice!
Is it weird that I'd actually like to see that? Of anything that could be turned into an anime, Lupinranger seems like it would work very well.
How much to get tickled by Sena and the rock girl?
Oh sure, they show Sena and Shiina going after Takamichi, but when it's time to have a tickle fight between Sena and Sayo, they cut away for most of it.:(
I wonder if it means anything that his name is a reference to Hatte Saburou, the fictional creator of Sentai.
Despite the similarities, I have my doubts. Nothing else about this other than the name makes me think Hatte. Is Hatta a normal name in Japan?
Why'd the guy's house disappear, he's not a ghost.
I'm right there with you. I don't understand those scenes at all. At a high level, I have to guess that the purpose is to show that things got better for Hatta. But why would his house be gone? Just how much time has elapsed since the mecha fight?! It feels like it should have been a couple of days, but to suddenly become a published artist with posters on storefronts would have taken months (or more).

Also, was the kid ever real? The MOTW's ability was to copy people. But it's never made clear whether he had been the kid for the entire episode, or only finally stepped in after Hatta has his break-down. Not helping matters is that at no point could I see a wire, even when the kid is clearly meant to be the MOTW in disguise.

If the kid was real, I would have expected to see him again in the epilogue. But if the kid wasn't real, then why in the sam hell did the MOTW invite Jewel over to begin with? (Jewel wasn't necessary for the plan, he was a liability)
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:18 am I'm aware of the Hikikomori phenomena in Japan, so I have a basic understanding of the cultural context. But as far as this specific episode is concerned, I'm unsure why it's being referenced here. Was this meant to be a Very Special Episode dedicated to Super Sentai's adult fans? Or did they need to produce an episode light on action (say, to free up the stunties for movie filming) and end up going a bit too far down that rabbit hole? As a long-term fan, I look at the production side perhaps a bit too much, so I'm kind of lost without understanding what the goal of the production staff was. If this was a western TV show, there's be a magazine interview somewhere talking about how it's meant to be an episode focusing on mental health or such.

In any case, kudos to Hatta's actor. He nailed delivering an uneasy character; you could tell things were a bit off the entire time.
I'm not entirely sure myself. They definitely say hikkikomori in the episode, and the name is very clearly a reference to Hatte Saburo, but the joke/reference seems to be lost somewhere? Frankly I was a bit creeped out by the first part of the show where I was getting major pedo vibes.

The actor is Kaga Shou, a fairly well-known comedian. I'd place him at a high C/low B rank in terms of popularity. I'm a bit surprised he agreed to this part honestly.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:51 am Frankly I was a bit creeped out by the first part of the show where I was getting major pedo vibes.
Okay, so it wasn't just me thinking that then...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess by naming your loser shut-in after the creator pseudonym, it might have been to ward off any particular potential criticism that the episode is targeting shut-ins and nerds and those types?

We don't need to give the guy an award or anything, but maybe we should address why he's a shut-in or only relates to children or what problems he has with society? Like the solution isn't "force him out in society and make him a normal dude" but if the episode's point is "there's no issue and everything is okay for things to remain as is" then why does he disappear at the end? It feels like the writer wanted to bring up some points, but ran out of time to address them in a way that was meaningful

If the writer's goal was to normalize being hikkimori, then we need to reach a better place than just saying "oh alright, he's drawing comics so he must be okay". Even though Jyuuru is ostensibly his new friend and they're cut off from each other. What????

Also I hadn't considered kid being the monster an entire time. That's an interesting theory for sure
KarleeTDM
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zero-One
Dreamy: Philip
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: I'll clear this with no continues!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by KarleeTDM »

This episode was really different, and I liked the otaku who liked drawing anime. Akibaranger vibes, anyone?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:59 pm I guess by naming your loser shut-in after the creator pseudonym, it might have been to ward off any particular potential criticism that the episode is targeting shut-ins and nerds and those types?
That makes a lot of sense. It's still a bit of a leap, but it's the best reason yet why Hatte in particular would be referenced.
If the writer's goal was to normalize being hikkimori, then we need to reach a better place than just saying "oh alright, he's drawing comics so he must be okay". Even though Jyuuru is ostensibly his new friend and they're cut off from each other. What????
The more I think about it, the less I like this episode. The Very Special Episode-ness aside, it's just poorly written. There are plot holes big enough to drive a truck (or mashin) through.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It feels very much like they changed the ending at the very last minute and couldn't get the guest back. So now he gets a weird happy ending as an ??empty plot?? and a ??poster??.

Honestly, maybe the ending is darker than it seems. Jyuuru saying he sees Hatta in the drawing comes completely from his interpretation. Honestly, there's no way to know for sure, so we're left trusting this ending on Jyuuru's crazy leap that Hatta is still out there, somewhere drawing
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

The ending was so fucking weird and it made so little sense I felt like I was watching a combination of WandaVision and The X Files. Anyways, looks like it's back to the REALLY fucking weird next week so god knows what to expect xD
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I wonder if one of the Kirmagers next week will say, "I am sorry the Kimamagers are too strong, yurusite nyan!".

Very weird ending! Even if the guy moved away, why would the house be gone and growing grass be there?

Maybe Jewel didn't shoot at Yodonna because Yodonna already had her weapon fully charged so she would have counter attacked if he shot?

My fan-fiction like idea for the endgame: Yodonna comes to earth to attack. In a melee, Sayo knocks the whip out of her hand and uses it on Yodonna. Yodonna splits in two. Yodonna 2, the one with Yodon, runs away since he is a big evil and only fights in the last episode. Yodonna 1 is the "real" Yodonna. She is still evil, but doesn't quite know why she should be. She kidnaps Sayo and tries to get her to explain life to her over ice cream treats. Yodonna 2 comes back and realizes that Sayo has "corrupted" Yodonna 1 so he kills her. This however seals Yodon's fate since without Yodonna he is no longer able to full charge and gets pwned by a multi-megazord attack that the Kiramagers name after Yodonna. Garza is then captured and attacked with oversized toothbrushes until he shines. They use the Dragon Balls to restore Crystallia and retroactively remove the influence of Yodon. The Queen comes back to life and so does Yodonna who is just an average human who had dealings with Crystallia. She still is not interested in Tametomo.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

It was nice to see Jyuru in civilian clothes (not his school uniform)

The guy's house disappearing makes no sense

Also, I'm a bit surprised to see a WandaVision commercial 😶
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD