Cause there's like a lot of other Sentai too
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Black Rangers

Post by Hoshinger »

My cousin brought this to me the other day and it's been something I've wondered about for a while.

Are black rangers in the core Sentai teams being phased out? While we’ve had Champ and Banba, they had a green ranger beside them and I wondered if there was reason for why we don’t get many black rangers. Think of this, the last time there was a black ranger by himself was ten years ago with Agri in Goseiger. While Magis existed, that was only in flashbacks, so a decade of going mostly green is a little strange. Some costumes do feature a lot of black on them, so a brighter color is needed to make things stand out is one reason, but not every costume has to be over the top in the core members.

Think of teams like Zyuranger and Ohranger. Both teams had a green and black ranger, but only one of them had black in the core. At the time there weren't many solo green rangers (Oh Green and Shishiranger) and in recent years the reverse had occurred. In Megaranger there was a black ranger in the core team and the sixth was silver like in Boukenger and Goseiger, but now it seems like we may not get this scheme for some time. Nothing against Go-Onger, Kyouryuuger, KyuuRanger and Ryusoulger for having green and black together like in Liveman, but give me a team with a black ranger and another color for the sixth ranger.

A little more food for thought is that I can easily see a green ranger in Goggle V, Dynaman, Maskman ( not the prototype), Fiveman, Kakuranger, Megaranger and Boukenger while only getting a black ranger in Denizman. Rangers like Change Griffon, Turbo Black and Gosei Black can go either way with all other black rangers as themselves. One thing to consider about such a change is that if Megaranger had a green ranger to start with then Power Rangers in Space wouldn’t have been so awkward with TJ being so demoted to avoid any racism like in Mighty Morphin’.

Super Sentai started with a green ranger and essentially took six generations to come out with a traditional black ranger, so maybe it takes the right team to have such a member. I personally think that a black ranger could be more suited as a sixth ranger as the lack of color could be used to represent a darker time for past members or being the black sheep of their generation. I don’t know where the future of the franchise is, but I fear that black rangers with be limited to be beside regular green rangers.

Please let me know what you think and maybe you could post a survey about lesser used ranger colors. Purple, orange and grey have barely been used in the forty-five year history and they deserve attention. If one color had to go, make it white because a pimp ranger in Big One was just bad, Change Mermaid looked like someone didn’t care and White Swan had too much pink.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Black Rangers

Post by Lunagel »

Think you're overthinking a subject that's not that complicated. They specifically said in Kyouryuuger that there were no Yellows because it would mean the weapon/henshin device wouldn't stand out against the suit. What's a good base color for a toy that will contrast well with individual primary-colored henshin doohickeys (sold separately)? Black.

We've seen more green in recent years because they've decided green can be a girl color and there have been slightly more girls in recent years.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Sentai_Ranger_Chart

I thought we had a chart for this but with female rangers?
Edit:
Oh here's the thread. Maybe if I'm bored I'll update it:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=14599
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Hoshinger »

Lunagel wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:58 pm Think you're overthinking a subject that's not that complicated. They specifically said in Kyouryuuger that there were no Yellows because it would mean the weapon/henshin device wouldn't stand out against the suit. What's a good base color for a toy that will contrast well with individual primary-colored henshin doohickeys (sold separately)? Black.

We've seen more green in recent years because they've decided green can be a girl color and there have been slightly more girls in recent years.
Female green rangers are nice, but they haven't been given much status. Sena and Hami are powerhouses who prettier than their pink counterparts and and we need more rangers like them on top of female blue rangers. I really want a green second in command female ranger or someone like Yuri or Ran as the leader because Red isn't as qualified. Unless there is to be a green female ranger, a few solo back rangers isn't impossible and thanks to Gokaiger, we can have a girl in any color possible.

I know the issue in Kyourryuuger and that could've been solved with an orange ranger. In a way if the entire series was to be revamped, any of the black rangers that I mentioned who could be green rangers could be female green.

I hope this didn't sound sexist or anything.
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Hoshinger »

takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:33 am https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Sentai_Ranger_Chart

I thought we had a chart for this but with female rangers?
Edit:
Oh here's the thread. Maybe if I'm bored I'll update it:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=14599
Wow that was a long time ago. We do need more female green rangers and blue isn't a bad option either. Just make them a high ranking member, like a replacement for a brother or cousin who was unable to suit up for other reasons.

Return to “Sentai”