My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 25 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 4.29 /5 stars (14 votes)

Speaking of the weirdos at the Southern Base... what do they do? Are they all swordsmen in training? Are they all there just to guard the base?

Oh wow, Sophia is still alive

Mei is extra cute this episode. That's an impressive transformation with the use of camera angles and effects. Also pretty good suit design

Once again, I have to ask who's hang out roof they're on. I can't help but wonder if they'd be in a cafe if not for Covid

I know no one will be surprised that Calibur is Kento, but I'm glad they revealed it here rather than dragging it on

Overall, this may be my favorite episode of Saber? The character moments were spot on and Ren appeared without acting like a raging child man. Like if you can focus on the characters and their relationships with each other, you're going to have a much better story than just two guys butting heads. Also, Mei's Rider action is pretty good with an interesting power set.

Now if only something could be done to make the villains interesting...
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Re: KR Saber 25 released

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

Telling by the end of that next episode preview, we might be heading towards Kamen Rider cliché #69.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

There's our Medusa 2.0. Dedicated but disposable to the Boss later on.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Reika is amazing. She might be my favorite character, and I almost never can pick favorites.

Mei was good this episode. And wow, Ren didn't act like a moron. Good things all around.
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

What with the slight uptick in quality recently, I have to wonder if the low ratings finally reached the Toei execs ears and they slapped around the writers/directors a bit
deuxcolors
Adventure
Favorite series: KR Build
2nd Favorite Series: Zero One
Dreamy: Almost everyone is too damned pretty
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Tokusatsu, Voice Acting
Quote: We are all fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: deuxcolors

Post by deuxcolors »

Uhmmm... I think you guys posted the wrong series.
That, or things are getting better.

Man I hope they keep on with this direction.
Twilights_Bard

Post by Twilights_Bard »

Mighty Action X wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:09 am There's our Medusa 2.0. Dedicated but disposable to the Boss later on.
Is she though? Because she was told outright by Master Logos to leave the book in Touma's hands, not call for him to be cut down (which to my knowledge is basically 'Kill him') like she told the others. It sounds to me like she's using Master Logos as a shield...as long as the swordsmen think that she's acting on behalf of Logos, it puts them feeling at odds with the entire organization instead of one traitor. I could very well be wrong but it's a good way of staying in the shadows for a while or an already corrupted organization.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

Twilights_Bard wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:23 pm
Mighty Action X wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:09 am There's our Medusa 2.0. Dedicated but disposable to the Boss later on.
Is she though? Because she was told outright by Master Logos to leave the book in Touma's hands, not call for him to be cut down (which to my knowledge is basically 'Kill him') like she told the others. It sounds to me like she's using Master Logos as a shield...as long as the swordsmen think that she's acting on behalf of Logos, it puts them feeling at odds with the entire organization instead of one traitor. I could very well be wrong but it's a good way of staying in the shadows for a while or an already corrupted organization.
No. In my opinion, she's insecure that Master Logos is entrusting something, concocting something in which she is not involved, where she is not the one entrusted with a vital part. That's what I see that is going on here and she is doing actions that are not ordered because she believe she can do better or can expedite things her own way. Of course, I have a feeling that Master Logos is not oblivious of this and just letting her be.

On another opinion, I'm starting to have a feeling that Master Logos might be Touma's father.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K

Post by Aeikozz »

i really hope Saberla has a redeeming arc of some kind. She's fucking amazing. I love her outfit. She's here to save the show. hopefully...
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

The quality is almost scaring me O.o Characters actually COMMUNICATING?! What, are they gonna be making rational decisions instead of emotional panic responses next?

Sabela is unfortunately continuing the "awesome female Rider beholden to a terrible cause" trope that Toei has been too chicken to break away from at all for a mainstay Rider, but at least her design and powers are interesting. Called it with Kento, though that bit with Tassel showing up how he did could mean they're actually planning to use him for the plot rather than an annoyance, which would be a nice change of pace. Primitive Dragon actually being a meaningful power-up would be another, but I'm concerned now that they're interrogating Sophia about yet another book.

Overall this is probably the best episode yet, too bad it had to factor in all the crappy decisions made leading up to it.
PurpleHat
Gao
Quote: If you do not fight, you will not survive.

Post by PurpleHat »

I've binged watched Saber 1-25 and my god this series is completely different from what was going on originally. The pacing slowed down a lot, power-ups became less sporadic (although still way too many overall) and the writing has improved. That doesn't mean the show is good, just that it's trending towards decent. Hopefully they realize the changes they made are good and keep going in that direction.

It took wayyyyyyyyyy longer than needed but the four knuckleheads are finally realizing that Reika isn't to be trusted at all. Come on now, how do you go from Sophia to Reika and NOT think something is amiss? Of course, who knows how long it'll take for Ren to see the light. Maybe once he sees Kento and starts simping for him again he'll rejoin with Touma and co. Speaking of, hello Kento. We all knew you weren't dead dead. You were dead, but the kind of dead that isn't dead. Just temporarily not living.

Reika being a Rider was both expected and welcomed in my opinion. Her attempting to delude the Northern Swordsmen never really worked in my opinion. She made minimal effort and because of the way everything is written, it actually worked. I don't think she enjoyed it much either (possibly due to lack of effort, or the fact that she's deluding idiots), but the fighting was much more animated. I think the direct approach suits her better.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

LOL. How long did that binge take? I imagine it's quite interesting to go through it so shortly
PurpleHat
Gao
Quote: If you do not fight, you will not survive.

Post by PurpleHat »

takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:58 am LOL. How long did that binge take? I imagine it's quite interesting to go through it so shortly
A day? It was the weekend so I had time. I kept skipping the Tassel intros/outros until episode 20 or so which saved time.

I think the thing that sticks out the most is how stupid the infighting was and how much Rintarou regressed as a character. I really enjoyed Rintarou early on as a person who was kind, compassionate, and eager to do the right thing. There was a certain kind of honesty and levelheadedness about him that was a good contrast to Touma's enthusiasm and lack of planning at times. That all went down the drain as soon as Reika showed up. It's a very sharp about-face to go from everyone accepting Touma and rallying around each other up to suddenly distrusting him for what amounted to nothing more than speculation. If Reika was a bit more conniving I would be more willing to buy everyone turning against Touma, but that was done very lazily unfortunately. It really undercut all the trust they put in Touma leading up to Kento's death and it just throws away all the characterization that happened. The show went from having a subtle "Don't judge a book by its cover" message to "Screw the message and hate Touma for plot reasons". The only one that gets a pass is Ren but that's because he's just a terrible character so you expect him to make terrible choices.

The only good thing I'll say about the infighting is it seems that was the vehicle to slow down the show. That itself was needed but the execution of the infighting was pretty poor. It's not so much that the guys can't communicate but the show needs them to be unable to do so in order to fix other things. My guess is that they couldn't find a better way to use the Megido and opted for infighting. Which says not so good things about the writing staff.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Ah okay. Yeah, totally agreed on all points. At least it looks like things are turning around
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

takenoko wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:35 am Ah okay. Yeah, totally agreed on all points. At least it looks like things are turning around
If nothing else, we could give the show Saber's Final Form introduction until the Northern (Southern?) Base ensemble is back to full. Though I can already guess the approach they'll take for said form's introduction.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”