My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 28 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 4.06 /5 stars (16 votes)

Sub Title: Clip Show

Part clip show, part main story? Honestly, how much does Ren have to suck to have his sword taken out during a clip show episode. At least the introduction of Reika's brother is just a teaser for when he fully appears next episode. Oh great, another guy for Reika to be subservient to

It's annoying because they sprinkle in just enough new stuff to force you to watch it, but you have to sit through a clip show of stuff you already know. And it's not like this review recontextualizes anything either. This story really isn't that deep

Not a fan of Touma gaining power or being special just because it's "his fate". That's weak writing

I guess I'm a little disappointed because these last couple of episodes feel like it's knocked the upsurge in pacing and good will that the series earned a few weeks back. Here's hoping the next episode with its new character is good
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Re: KR Saber 28 released

Post by decade368990 »

Why aren’t all these important things written by the main writer: Fukuda Takurou? Instead they’re written by Hasegawa Keiichi. It feels like Hasegawa is the main writer of the series overall.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:04 pmNot a fan of Touma gaining power or being special just because it's "his fate". That's weak writing
Well, maybe if there's something special about his heritage then that might explain it. After all, he's a Wolderworld native and we have no idea yet of Touma's parentage.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Wait, where do they say he's a Wonder World native? In fact, the whole story has been pretty dodgey about his origins and why he's just hanging out with swordsmen all day. Did Touma EVER have any parents?

But I think my point still stands. A hero that works hard and is victorious based on his own meritocracy is always going to be better than the guy who got the job because his dad was the boss
PurpleHat
Gao
Quote: If you do not fight, you will not survive.

Post by PurpleHat »

I don't mind the clip show too much. A lot of early Saber has been rendered somewhat useless so a small reminder of what is important is nice. The downside is that Saber's plot isn't too deep so it shouldn't need a clip show. At least it wasn't the entire episode so I hope that's an acknowledgment from the writers that the plot isn't deep. A true clip show of Saber would have been painfully awkward to watch.

Ren's sword getting sealed should've been a big deal, but Ren has been so bad that I don't think anyone is actually sad about it. In fact, I was hoping it would happen and was happy when it did.

Ah yes, the classic "say person's name, take a step towards them and let them walk away" moment strikes again. It's a real shame Touma and Kento couldn't just hash things out, especially since Kento got his ass handed to him and it doesn't appear as though he'll be able to seal Touma's sword.

Saber is still riding on the coattails of a few episodes ago and it can't do that forever. Reika's brother better be an absolute badass otherwise it'll make not utilizing Reika feel even worse.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I just hope he doesn't eclipse Reika. We've barely had an episode of her as a Rider! Don't tell me she's getting replaced already
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

Just how Ren sucks for his sword to be sealed in a semi-clip show episode.
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

This one definitely faltered a bit, but its still better than what it had going on before their uptick in quality. As far as recap episodes go, I've seen far worse, this one at least had a bit of progression in the plot to go with it. We're a little too over-saturated in swordsmen for the hint of a new one to be anything significant, and it really does feel like they're pushing the season towards its endgame already despite them tossing around new power-ups every five minutes. With how blatantly evil they're making Master Logos out to be along with the single mindedness of the Megiddo on the same goal, it almost feels like they're trying to get the season over and done with as efficiently as possible.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

20:13 It says "Toma" instead of "Touma"
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Dang, I was checking it off at work and didn't notice D:
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Just when I thought it was good that they were acknowledging Touma being a writer again, it turned into a clip show. Bah

Oh, and I still don't know what Ren is doing
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Yes, there is way too many characters now but nothing is really happening... and that preview... we will see next week
Final Vent!
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Am I the only one who didn't feel like this was a clip show? Sure, they had a bunch of flashbacks, but it was actually handled in a way that almost felt natural for once. And the fact that they moved the plot forward really helped it feel like a regular episode.

I must be the only one who noticed only ONE of Ren's swords was sealed, and he didn't lose his henshin when it happened. Instead, it was pretty obvious (to me, anyway) that Kento was moving to seal Ren's other blade when Tooma stepped in. Thus I have a feeling the didn't actually take away all his powers (he'll just be weakened) and that's going to be motivation for him to double down and serve Reika. He's an idiot who only understands physical strength and is weak everywhere else, so what better way to utilise a thug than to have his hero betray him and the baddies offer him more power in exchange for loyalty.

More importantly the episode helps to explain Tooma's future resolve (as if he doesn't gain resolve to do the same thing every episode) and gives us a teaser of the next Southern Swordsman. We're up to what, two? three? Either way, I'm glad they're taking their time with Southern's members. It almost feels like Reika and her brother are Showa-Era sentai generals this way. The only question is whether Reika is considered second-in-command and her brother is the "recently transferred veteran" in the trope. I doubt they'll be able to pull off a GoRanger this late in the series, but I can definitely see the possible influence on Kamen Sentai SwordRanger.

Theory on Tooma's "fate": I don't think it has to do with his lineage or even some cheap destiny cop-out. Instead, I think Luna is the key. When they meet (and they made sure to repeat the scene here), she specifically says "I finally found you". She also tells him his stories are unlike anything she's heard before, despite her being bound to both worlds. So what if Luna actually selected him because she sensed he had the natural imagination to change the future? What if her connection to both worlds means she's part of the Book itself (they mentioned the "table of contents" a while back) and thus had the power to influence Tooma getting his blade in the first place? Remember, he was given the Rekka book right after she was pulled through the portal despite its actual owner still being quite alive. I mean, I'm probably giving way too much credit here, but if I were writing this show and needed a reason for the main protagonist to be tied to the fate of an all-powerful book, I'd make him a writer that doesn't settle for sad endings. All roads in a Choose Your Own Adventure lead to one ending? That's boring, so let's just write an alternate ending of our own.

Saber still isn't the worst KR series by any means, but it's nowhere near the best. I do think maybe the near-repeat of Ghost may be the reason Hasegawa is seemingly doing all the work now. Toei likely saw the ratings and silently muzzled Fukuda so there'd be no Hibiki-style scandal and Hasegawa was charged with fixing the mess as best he can. Sure, there are some rough patches in the current arc, but the overall quality's seriously improved lately, and I think this arc is literally just there to get the cast down to more manageable numbers. Right now, we have four factions, six or seven functioning swordsmen (depending on whether Ren can still fight with only one sword) and one less Meggido. By the end of this arc, Kento will rejoin the heroes and and we'll have cut back to maybe four functional swordsmen (with two being the generals). It's also likely we'll lose another Meggido or the Meggido will team up with Logos, bringing it down to only two factions.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”