Why the Rider and Sentai torrents are gone

Mari_Matrix
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

Re: Why the Rider and Sentai torrents are gone

Post by Mari_Matrix »

Ashki wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:05 am
Sonicguy001 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:35 am I had to do research but, i was wondering if this whole 'Toei Copyright' thing will affect sub projects other than Rider and Sentai? like the redo of PGSM for instance
That's one of th4e things that made me so suspicious of the letter. There's absolutely no mention of any other series/franchises and the two names aren't even named properly. A real C&D would have listed all properties, not just two of the popular ones. And with the new season of Sailor Moon finally coming out, you would think that would be a series TOEI would want to market.

In an actual C&D, the only actions you are being legally obligated to stop are those which have been specified. The email TVN received is vague at best and the wording is such that it practically invalidates itself. But even if this email somehow was from some pencil pusher working for TOEI, the fact that it didn't go through their legal department means it (intentionally or unintentionally) greenlit the subbing of other TOEI holdings.

IF (and that's a huge "if") someone from TOEI actually responds, we'll possibly have more clarity, but I can pretty much guarantee TVN will get no response from the person who sent the initial email.
Oh my god, i was thinking the same thing. Why wasn't PGSM taken down since it's also a Toei property? And same goes for Precure, TVN has episodes of HeartCatch Precure still up and it's part of the "Super Hero Time" block along with SS and KR.

And i agree with you on the C&D, i still believe it's shady af, probably fake and that if the e-mail was indeed sent by Toei, TVN would have gotten a response by now. Also, is TVN the only english fansub group that got a C&D? Overtime didn't get one, but they're halting their Zenkaiger releases out of precaution, but other groups are releasing their Saber and Zenkaiger episodes just fine.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

It's all definitely shadier than a solar eclipse at high noon. And it's a carbon copy of the one sent to ZECT a couple months ago - which they ignored with no repercussion.

Someone has been warning people away from TVN for a while now. They've told subbers that TVN likes to make death threats and there's no telling just how far the slander goes. If this were ten years ago, I'd say maybe Over-Time had something to do with it since they're the evil rider, but that rivalry has long since become a friendly one and two have even done collabs. In fact, over the past decade, subbing groups as a whole have stopped competing. Sure, you have half a dozen groups subbing the same show, but they all do it because it's a hobby, not a business.

Whomever sent the email likely knew that TVN was the biggest kid on the block for newer toku (I'd argue GUIS is still the best for Showa-era) and obviously wanted to do something about that. I don't think they were planning for O-T to shut their subs down as well or for the massive outpouring of support. No, we're not going to hear a response, and I'm willing to bet it'll be months before anyone else gets this email.

Give it a month and it'll be business as usual, only with a little more security (I still say having the DDL and torrents sections be invisible unless you log into the site is a good safety measure, as is adding a second, less obviously named tracker to handle certain franchises).
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Qayyim
Quote: Rider Time Kamen Rider Zi-O

Post by Qayyim »

If a month or a couple of weeks later Tv Nihon will be back to normal but more security like it will be invisible I hope that all Kamen Riders & Super Sentai previous torrents & DDL are returned and will be able to download it back
Mari_Matrix
Adventure

Post by Mari_Matrix »

Ashki wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:16 pm It's all definitely shadier than a solar eclipse at high noon. And it's a carbon copy of the one sent to ZECT a couple months ago - which they ignored with no repercussion.

Someone has been warning people away from TVN for a while now. They've told subbers that TVN likes to make death threats and there's no telling just how far the slander goes. If this were ten years ago, I'd say maybe Over-Time had something to do with it since they're the evil rider, but that rivalry has long since become a friendly one and two have even done collabs. In fact, over the past decade, subbing groups as a whole have stopped competing. Sure, you have half a dozen groups subbing the same show, but they all do it because it's a hobby, not a business.

Whomever sent the email likely knew that TVN was the biggest kid on the block for newer toku (I'd argue GUIS is still the best for Showa-era) and obviously wanted to do something about that. I don't think they were planning for O-T to shut their subs down as well or for the massive outpouring of support. No, we're not going to hear a response, and I'm willing to bet it'll be months before anyone else gets this email.

Give it a month and it'll be business as usual, only with a little more security (I still say having the DDL and torrents sections be invisible unless you log into the site is a good safety measure, as is adding a second, less obviously named tracker to handle certain franchises).
Yeah, thought of that too, like maybe it was a hater trying to scare TVN into shutting down or something.

That's a good idea. For the DDL, instead of putting the episodes into Google Drive, why not put them in Mega? And i assume Nyaa is out of the question for a second tracker, right?
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Caitanya Vallabha wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:47 pm I'm so very sad about this whole situation because not only TV Nihon is the best place for current releases, it also has the best catalogue. You guys deliver the best subs and the best releases and I was watching a lot of older shows from the list, and now... Oh man, I wish I had them all downloaded. If anyone has access to some direct links, please send me a DM, I would appreciate it so much. And I'm sorry if I'm not suppose to ask for this, I don't want anydoby having legal problems or anything, I'm just kinda desperate
I knew this was going to happen eventually. Nothing last forever on the inet and 18 years was an amazing record. Glad they released 2 Ryuki in BlueRay before this happened.
Final Vent!
Qayyim
Quote: Rider Time Kamen Rider Zi-O

Post by Qayyim »

Sorry to ask but if not in the tracker or website where to download Tv Nihon's latest uploads of Kamen Riders & Super Sentai sub ?
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

Ashki wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:16 pm It's all definitely shadier than a solar eclipse at high noon. And it's a carbon copy of the one sent to ZECT a couple months ago - which they ignored with no repercussion.

I as far as I can tell, KRDL received this letter in 2019. Zect received in 2020, and now TVN. What I heard was that someone (I believe from Zect) cracked down the e-mail and checked that the IP it was sent from, was actually from Toei. I don't even know how that's possible, but according to some Brazilian inside sources, that happened. As shady as it is, I believe the letter is legit at this point.
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Tokyo »

Mari_Matrix wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:00 am
Oh my god, i was thinking the same thing. Why wasn't PGSM taken down since it's also a Toei property? And same goes for Precure, TVN has episodes of HeartCatch Precure still up and it's part of the "Super Hero Time" block along with SS and KR.

And i agree with you on the C&D, i still believe it's shady af, probably fake and that if the e-mail was indeed sent by Toei, TVN would have gotten a response by now. Also, is TVN the only english fansub group that got a C&D? Overtime didn't get one, but they're halting their Zenkaiger releases out of precaution, but other groups are releasing their Saber and Zenkaiger episodes just fine.
What are some of those groups? I'm only aware of TVN and OT that use to subb currently airing SS and KR
Mari_Matrix
Adventure

Post by Mari_Matrix »

Tokyo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:35 pm
Mari_Matrix wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:00 am

What are some of those groups? I'm only aware of TVN and OT that use to subb currently airing SS and KR
IzuSubs
FlameSubs
GenmCorp (Though they are wayyyyy behind on their Saber releases)
NonActionableFansubs (They started subbing the Blu-ray version of Saber)
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Tokyo »

Mari_Matrix wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:24 pm
Tokyo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:35 pm

IzuSubs
FlameSubs
GenmCorp (Though they are wayyyyy behind on their Saber releases)
NonActionableFansubs (They started subbing the Blu-ray version of Saber)
Thank you. Those are subbing Kamen Riders, though. Wiredly, there are much less people subbing sental
Ashki
Mega

Post by Ashki »

Tokyo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:01 pm Thank you. Those are subbing Kamen Riders, though. Wiredly, there are much less people subbing sental
Most of the groups subbing sentai either focus on non-Toei sentai shows or older Super Sentai (the Showa Era still has unfinished series). A few years back, there were so many groups subbing the same shows that nobody could keep up. A lot of those groups merged and/or folded. But with the current dry spell going on, it's quite likely we'll be seeing new groups springing up or older groups stepping forward to fill the void created by TVN and O-T halting distribution.
MagusKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: The whole world is insane, we just have to be sane enough to accept it

Post by MagusKaiser »

so has TN received a response from Toei yet? I still find it odd that this came up out of nowhere especially since TN isn't charging for downloading the episodes or streaming them so it's not like they can press charges against TN like they're a business since it's all done for free
Ashki
Mega

Post by Ashki »

MagusKaiser wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:20 pm so has TN received a response from Toei yet? I still find it odd that this came up out of nowhere especially since TN isn't charging for downloading the episodes or streaming them so it's not like they can press charges against TN like they're a business since it's all done for free
When distributing a patched or altered version of any intellectual property, there are a few charges that can be filed. The easiest and most commonly used in US courts is copyright infringement. Distributing unapplied patches is generally accepted as legal, as the patch file (or SRT file, in this case) is entirely the product of the person creating the patch. The legal liability thus falls on anyone who actually applies the patch (for fansubs, this means hardsubbing, whereas simply using the SRT file remains legal and the liability lies in whether or not the video file is legally owned by the user).

The second most common charge filed is for plagiarism. In this type of claim, the owner of the property is looking at the modified intellectual property and suing based on the fact that it uses some copyrighted, patented, and/or trademarked material that has been altered from its original form and distributed as the property of the modder. For example, a few years ago, Microsoft was successfully sued by a Canadian company for using the code from their word processor program in Microsoft Word without permission. This type of complaint is far less common than copyright infringement, but it also has some distinct advantages, as it can be pretty easy to prove in court and varies less from country to country than most copyright-related law.

If TOEI chose to file charges against a fansub group, I could see them suing for illegal distribution (especially for raw footage) and plagiarism (a hardsub or hard dub). Copyright infringement would not be a likely charge due to differences between Japanese and US copyright law (TOEI would have to maintain US copyrights to the material in question to avoid a lot of extra time and expense).
MagusKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: The whole world is insane, we just have to be sane enough to accept it

Post by MagusKaiser »

Ashki wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:05 pm
MagusKaiser wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:20 pm so has TN received a response from Toei yet? I still find it odd that this came up out of nowhere especially since TN isn't charging for downloading the episodes or streaming them so it's not like they can press charges against TN like they're a business since it's all done for free
When distributing a patched or altered version of any intellectual property, there are a few charges that can be filed. The easiest and most commonly used in US courts is copyright infringement. Distributing unapplied patches is generally accepted as legal, as the patch file (or SRT file, in this case) is entirely the product of the person creating the patch. The legal liability thus falls on anyone who actually applies the patch (for fansubs, this means hardsubbing, whereas simply using the SRT file remains legal and the liability lies in whether or not the video file is legally owned by the user).

The second most common charge filed is for plagiarism. In this type of claim, the owner of the property is looking at the modified intellectual property and suing based on the fact that it uses some copyrighted, patented, and/or trademarked material that has been altered from its original form and distributed as the property of the modder. For example, a few years ago, Microsoft was successfully sued by a Canadian company for using the code from their word processor program in Microsoft Word without permission. This type of complaint is far less common than copyright infringement, but it also has some distinct advantages, as it can be pretty easy to prove in court and varies less from country to country than most copyright-related law.

If TOEI chose to file charges against a fansub group, I could see them suing for illegal distribution (especially for raw footage) and plagiarism (a hardsub or hard dub). Copyright infringement would not be a likely charge due to differences between Japanese and US copyright law (TOEI would have to maintain US copyrights to the material in question to avoid a lot of extra time and expense).
so legally fan sub groups are pretty screwed and it's even harder for US based fans to even keep up with current series. Still though Has Tv Nihon received any kind of reply from Toei? if this were being seriously looked at by them you'd think they would respond to inquiries within a reasonable time frame
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Tokyo »

MagusKaiser wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:09 pm so legally fan sub groups are pretty screwed and it's even harder for US based fans to even keep up with current series. Still though Has Tv Nihon received any kind of reply from Toei? if this were being seriously looked at by them you'd think they would respond to inquiries within a reasonable time frame
I don't think they have received any response, and I don't think they will, since I don't think Toei is seriously thinking about suing them. I believe this is just a bluff to try to get fansubbers down. They sent that letter to KRDL in 2019. KRDL just ignored and nothing had came out of it ever since.

Return to “Off Topic”