Backlash over cancellation of KR/Sentai thread

Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Re: Backlash over cancellation of KR/Sentai thread

Post by Mikadius »

Mandalori wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:29 pm The way I see it, it was also an opportunity for them to stop doing something that they didn't enjoy as much as they used to. Can't blame them.
Zenkaiger was pretty fun, tho, I don't think anyone actively hated it, save for an obligatory couple randoms

Still, I just don't understand why did they just stopped and dropped dead so suddenly here.
Why not try one of million other options? What can toei do to a bunch of anonymous people on an internet website? (its not like they have T-N's names and home addresses, right?) Did they actually think a bunch of old japanese men would give any support to some foreigners doing anything at all with their shows, and now they're shocked they don't approve?

Fatigue is a legit reason, but I don't think it can cause one to just drop both shows mid-season like that, after 10+ years of doing it.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Mikadius wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:48 am What can toei do to a bunch of anonymous people on an internet website?
Go to the courts and get a subpoena for information from TV-N's host. Use that information to then bring the TV-N members in Japan to court on counts of copyright infringement.

TV-Nihon is not an underground organization. They are far from untouchable.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

ViRGE wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:04 am
Mikadius wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:48 am What can toei do to a bunch of anonymous people on an internet website?
Go to the courts and get a subpoena for information from TV-N's host. Use that information to then bring the TV-N members in Japan to court on counts of copyright infringement.

TV-Nihon is not an underground organization. They are far from untouchable.
Aye. It's not the US members of TVN that are in real danger, it's those in Japan, especially those providing raws. That part of fansubbing IS illegal (recording isn't, but distributing the raws is), whereas those doing the actual subs technically can have some degree of immunity so long as the resulting translations are in SRT files and not directly patched into the videos.

Another thing that westerners have to keep in mind is that Akamatsu-sensei (the manga-ka responsible for AI Love You, Love Hina, Negima, and many other classics) is very active in government and successfully got a new copyright law passed last year protecting those in the manga industry from piracy. It wouldn't be too difficult for a large corporation such as TOEI to get a judge to adapt those new laws to a franchise like KR.

And that brings up the third important point. This letter didn't just come out of the blue (whether or not it's actually official or just some disgruntled TOEI fan/employee is immaterial for this point). It came after certain people started posting nasty comments on the TTW channel, cussing out TOEI for relying on government funds to give the world free (and often rare) toku with partial subs. Just because they weren't fancy or stylised and the TTW staff asked for fansubs to fill in the gaps (but forgot to add an option to submit said subs - an honest oversight), these people whom I'd reservedly call fansub otaku tore into TOEI and even began approaching the CEO on Twitter.

Even when Shirakura made that post expressing his gratitude for ALL fans (regardless of how they obtain the material), the very first response he got was an attack.

To me, TVN's decision makes a LOT of sense right now, because there are certain individuals who are painting a giant target on TVN's collective back, both by attacking TOEI and spreading nasty rumours about the crew. Removing the two most volatile series from the schedule means protecting Japanese members from some serious jail time (the new laws are no joke) and also taking away the main thing those individuals are using to try and shut TVN down (both directly by attacking TTW/TOEI and indrectly).
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

ViRGE wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:04 am Use that information to then bring the TV-N members in Japan to court on counts of copyright infringement.
I'm not even going to try to debate the possibility of that from the legal and logistical perspectives. But the letter clearly states "don't distribute our content" and afaik there is, like, a myriad of ways of going around that. And that's even before the obvious solution of just moving the whole website to whatever the rest of torrent-trackers use.

Again, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact I can freely watch disney's mandalorian by clicking the 4th link in search results, yet some japan-only company have managed to shut off my supply of toku =T
RealKingRanger
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Quote: There can be only one

Post by RealKingRanger »

Mikadius wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:26 pm
ViRGE wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:04 am Use that information to then bring the TV-N members in Japan to court on counts of copyright infringement.
I'm not even going to try to debate the possibility of that from the legal and logistical perspectives. But the letter clearly states "don't distribute our content" and afaik there is, like, a myriad of ways of going around that. And that's even before the obvious solution of just moving the whole website to whatever the rest of torrent-trackers use.

Again, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact I can freely watch disney's mandalorian by clicking the 4th link in search results, yet some japan-only company have managed to shut off my supply of toku =T
You can always buy it.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

RealKingRanger wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:58 pm You can always buy it.
Not everyone has credit cards
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

RealKingRanger wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:58 pm You can always buy it.
With Tv-Nihon subs included? Lol.
MagusKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: The whole world is insane, we just have to be sane enough to accept it

Post by MagusKaiser »

RealKingRanger wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:58 pm
Mikadius wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:26 pm

You can always buy it.
cept japanese DVDs and Blu Ray Disks Do Not have english subtitles
goshinki
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by goshinki »

MonarchVV wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:16 pm First time poster, but long time follower. I've been following your group for Sentai / KR content since Decade and always enjoyed the effort put into the stylized subtitles so it's sad to see my main Toku fansub group go, but as you said, it's for the best of the team, and I appreciate your considerations for everyone a part of your long-running project.

My only hope is that Toei eventually goes the way of Sunrise with Gundam and uploads new subtitled content weekly, like they do on their Gundaminfo channel

My question is, what legal ways are there to watch Toku? I found some articles on the topic but they're a bit dated. I found the Toei Tokusatsu World Official Channel, and while they've been uploading some episodes from older shows I would like to know if there are alternatives to keep up with current running shows.
As pointed out on November 9, 2020..

Toei has been releasing all of Kamen rider and other toku on youtube since November of last year, slowly going through each individual series . from what I can tell, they have uploaded episode 1-2 of 10 different Hesei Riders (in order of release) and episodes 1-2 of multiple different showa riders. I'm assuming they will continue to have regular releases until eventually everyhting is available. There are a lot episodes to upload probably..and they are not just doing kamen rider either. Also, space sheriff , jiran.. it's going to take sometime.

The subs are not that great..but it's still watchable. doesn't seem they have abandoned it, since they have been doing regulra releases. Faiz Episode 1 just dropped today.
only real concern I have for this is that some of the older series may be deemed "inappropriate" for youtube. In their 54 video playlist they already have 6 videos that are labled private and cannot be viewed..no idea what they even are.
Barim
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: SS: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: KR: Ryuki
Favorite Band: Queen
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Barim »

Not what I was expecting to read after wanting to get back into things after a year of not watching...
Spoiler
Once the Heron to set his path,
Twice the Heron to name him true,
Once the Dragon for remembrance lost,
Twice the Dragon for the price he must pay.
StarSabreEvan
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Natsuki Mamiya

Post by StarSabreEvan »

Thanks to all the work and effort put into any series whether current or defunct. You make it worthwhile everytime. :wink:
Mr Boo Boo
Infinity
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Favorite Band: M-Flo, Bennie K
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by Mr Boo Boo »

This saddens me to no end. But it is what it is. Thank you TV-N for the many years you have provided everyone with KR/Sentai shows.
Sigmul
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Favorite series: W

Post by Sigmul »

Sad, this was the only place with old kamen riders that had decent seeds, most are on nyaa, but the seeds are almost dead for some... And i doubt we'll get full series on toei's youtube, probably only the 2 episode teasers with shitty subs. dunno if there is anything on tv-nihon's radar that would interest me except kamen rider, so thats kind of a bummer.

Now, some dastardly renegade could just dump all the magnet links for everything under a cloak of anonymity to some completely terrible website that ignores common decency, and then everyone could just get them and keep seeding, and no one would be able to stop them. Good thing people here would never do such a thing.
kivat

Post by kivat »

why do i feel this is all caused by someone complaining how bad the saber movie was to toei, eh i really wanted to redownload some series like w, drive, build, kiva, kabuto but guess cannot do it now i blame the person who started this and the people on twitter with their rage. on side note at same time heard something about the toei animation was going after some DBZ channels on youtube too giving dmc take downs so idk if they just want to burn their overseas fanbase or what they doing.
Willisjames318
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: Power Rangers & Masked Rider!
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Willisjames318 »

I don't know how, I don't know where & I don't know when? But next year! We need to get Kamen Riders & Super Sentais back in 2022!

Return to “Off Topic”