Backlash over cancellation of KR/Sentai thread

Qayyim
Quote: Rider Time Kamen Rider Zi-O

Re: Backlash over cancellation of KR/Sentai thread

Post by Qayyim »

Sorry to ask but can Tv NIhon upload V Cinema Vulcan & Valkyrie later for the last Zero One movie ?
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

zero00 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:19 am
Mighty Action X wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:54 am For the record, is Toei even making subs for their KR and Sentai franchises? It's their biggest entertainment commodity next to anime and video games and I'm bummed that they're not making it easily accessible to non-Japanese audiences.
well, there was a reply twit from shirakura stated that he should not know how do we who live outside of japan can know kr and ss, but he decided not to pursue it further.

as others said before, they know the existence of fansubs already but they want to keep the status quo.

The problem is after e-mail, some guys complained like toei took away their right, while the truth is the opposite.

what is even worse is that up to this day, lots of people tagged and complained to shirakura about this fansub fiasco, which in my opinion a useless thing to do and just shows how immature we are in this community

just my 2 cents anyway
TOEI has gone out of their way to support fansubbing unofficially. This is right down to TTW outright requesting fansubs for several shows. But idiots don't see that. Idiots who live in their parents' basements and spend their lives on Twitter and other cesspool platforms only know that when they're not happy, it's everyone else's fault.

I know the thin line companies have to follow. I was doing ROMhacking at the same time I was working for Activision. So I know how difficult it is to balance between supporting an abandonware-style community and/or a community that promotes your product respectfully (such as most fansub groups) vs condemning blatant piracy. And when someone calls too much attention to the former, the company is invariably forced to act. Hell, even Nintendo turned a blind eye to the emulation community back in the 1990s until the DMCA started attacking abandonware groups while claiming Nintendo was a member company (Nintendo and other groups sued over this but most later ended up becoming members).

Shirakura might actually watch fansubs or even lurk in some of the fansub forums. He's not the enemy and never was. If anything, he's been a pretty firm ally of groups that respect official releases and promote merch sales.

But this growing problem with "fans" attacking TOEI, its employees, and even the fansub groups themselves (such as the person who was warning others that TVN likes to make death threats) is something I think we as a community need to address. The longer you ignore cancer, the more deadly it becomes.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Ashki
Mega

Post by Ashki »

gscat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:33 am Thank you very much for your hard work. Have been following since faiz and PGSM. I will miss your sub.
They're just taking a break from KR/SS for a season or three. Those two franchises account for less than 10% of all tokusatsu, so think of this as an oppourtunity, not a loss.

TVN has what... three translators? Take and Luna do most of thew work but I believe the one who was doing the TVN Ultraman subs is part of the group. Three people translating in their spare time equals very limited release schedules. Without the weekly KR/SS shows to worry about, it frees these talented folk to go back and translate more tokusatsu like Sh15uya, PGSM, Spider-Man, or non-TOEI sentai series.

I have this strange feeling TVN will suddenly be busier than ever once they decide where to focus their attention across nearly 60 years of toku (and that's not including the predecessors to modern toku such as Godjira).
Ashki
Mega

Post by Ashki »

Qayyim wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:21 am Sorry to ask but can Tv NIhon upload V Cinema Vulcan & Valkyrie later for the last Zero One movie ?
I'd say avoid making requests related to KR/SS for the time being. Let the dust settle and give TVN staff time to figure out ways to more safely create and distribute sensitive fansubs.I'm sure when they do eventually get back to doing Kamen Rider, we'll be getting an avalanche of releases they'd been working on as pet projects.

Until then, check Nyaa to see if another group released it and you can always replace it with the TVN version later. That's how I was doing Kuuga, with the completed MCS subs slowly being replaced every time TVN dropped a new episode. Despite the style differences between the two groups, this method works really well and has allowed me to enjoy many series I otherwise wouldn't get to finish.
GokaiRed01
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: let's make english Sub extra showy
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by GokaiRed01 »

:( what subs am I gonna watch that is as good as yours now and what about my Splashes
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

GokaiRed01 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:03 pm :( what subs am I gonna watch that is as good as yours now and what about my Splashes
Subs as good as TVN's, I honestly doubt you'll ever find anywhere. Official or otherwise. But we can still watch our shows. The quality is not the same, but most of them are decent.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

:sighs: feels like the end of an era. you know my first subs were from you guys for TF Masterforce, Headmasters, and Victory. hope to see future subs from you guys.
um ... is ultraman still a thing?
Runba
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: im back

Post by Runba »

god not Over-Time, Their "translations" are on par with 4kidz. so much unnecessary dialogue changes and localizations.

You guys were the last bastion of "TRUE" translation. Cant believe you are damning us to them.

cowards
Vivastar
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Favorite series: Kamen Rider - Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider - OOO
Favorite Band: teräsbetoni

Post by Vivastar »

I would be fine with just soft subs 👍
Twilights_Bard

Post by Twilights_Bard »

midorininger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:02 pm :sighs: feels like the end of an era. you know my first subs were from you guys for TF Masterforce, Headmasters, and Victory. hope to see future subs from you guys.
um ... is ultraman still a thing?
A lot of it has been licensed (and released on blu-ray) but the most recent, Z is up on Tsubaraya's youtube channel (they're doing a weekly reposting of each episode, the original release was weekly but they took each ep down after 2 weeks.), the current Chronicles is weekly, and they put up The Absolute Conspiracy, all with subtitles. And they have been putting up a few random episodes of various series here and there.
TajadorCombo
Infinity
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Favorite Band: Band-Maid, BABYMETAL
My boom: Fighting games
Quote: I'm just a passing-through Kamen Rider, remember that
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by TajadorCombo »

Thanks for all the hard work you've done over the years. And I hope you can still make subs for Garo or even start a new project you might wanted to do, but the Sentai/Rider schedule didn't allow you to.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

Runba wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:07 pm god not Over-Time, Their "translations" are on par with 4kidz. so much unnecessary dialogue changes and localizations.

You guys were the last bastion of "TRUE" translation. Cant believe you are damning us to them.

cowards
yeah "TWOkaiser" is a hard pill to swallow. but O-T subs arent bad, just not as flashy. i mean i was willing to watch RAW japanese so there is that.
zero00
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zero00 »

Ashki wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:25 am
zero00 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:19 am

well, there was a reply twit from shirakura stated that he should not know how do we who live outside of japan can know kr and ss, but he decided not to pursue it further.

as others said before, they know the existence of fansubs already but they want to keep the status quo.

The problem is after e-mail, some guys complained like toei took away their right, while the truth is the opposite.

what is even worse is that up to this day, lots of people tagged and complained to shirakura about this fansub fiasco, which in my opinion a useless thing to do and just shows how immature we are in this community

just my 2 cents anyway
TOEI has gone out of their way to support fansubbing unofficially. This is right down to TTW outright requesting fansubs for several shows. But idiots don't see that. Idiots who live in their parents' basements and spend their lives on Twitter and other cesspool platforms only know that when they're not happy, it's everyone else's fault.

I know the thin line companies have to follow. I was doing ROMhacking at the same time I was working for Activision. So I know how difficult it is to balance between supporting an abandonware-style community and/or a community that promotes your product respectfully (such as most fansub groups) vs condemning blatant piracy. And when someone calls too much attention to the former, the company is invariably forced to act. Hell, even Nintendo turned a blind eye to the emulation community back in the 1990s until the DMCA started attacking abandonware groups while claiming Nintendo was a member company (Nintendo and other groups sued over this but most later ended up becoming members).

Shirakura might actually watch fansubs or even lurk in some of the fansub forums. He's not the enemy and never was. If anything, he's been a pretty firm ally of groups that respect official releases and promote merch sales.

But this growing problem with "fans" attacking TOEI, its employees, and even the fansub groups themselves (such as the person who was warning others that TVN likes to make death threats) is something I think we as a community need to address. The longer you ignore cancer, the more deadly it becomes.
i couldn't agree more, we as the part of the community should think and improve ourselves for the good of the community itself. At the very least, this is the lesson that we have to learn no matter how bitter it is.

So yes, the cancellation of zenkaiger/saber project is resulted by us, not by shirakura.

Take that you morons who attacked shirakura on twitter!
Bomyne
Go Go!
Favorite series: Zi-O
2nd Favorite Series: Drive
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Bomyne »

Vivastar wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:32 am I would also like to know this, also why dont you finish the ongoing shows instead of stopping in the middle, or at least provide us with alternative places to watch it
They stopped doing it because they are worried about potential legal consequences.

You can try hitting up the good ol' Google for other places to get Sentai and Kamen Rider. There are still plenty out there. You can't ask TV-N to put themselves in the firing line for us.
midorininger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:29 pm
Runba wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:07 pm god not Over-Time, Their "translations" are on par with 4kidz. so much unnecessary dialogue changes and localizations.

cowards
yeah "TWOkaiser" is a hard pill to swallow. but O-T subs arent bad, just not as flashy. i mean i was willing to watch RAW japanese so there is that.

You can always edit the sub file to reflect Tsuukaiser if you want :)
JKPhage
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by JKPhage »

Disappointing, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

That said, now that you guys aren't tied down with current Sentai and Rider, or any for that matter, there are a good handful of Metal Heroes series that could use some love, and I'd be very happy to see you guys turn your power on those for the benefit of Toku fans in general. Since many of us came to Sentai through Power Rangers and saturday morning entertainment in the 90's, B-Fighter and B-Fighter Kabuto would definitely be a good starting point, as Beetleborgs was pretty damn well-liked, and neither of them have been completed, or look to be any time soon. Would love to see that TV-N flare applied to it! If you want to be extra cheeky, Ninja Captor would be an interesting project as the "lost Sentai" that isn't part of the franchise, but almost could have been.

Just my personal suggestion, since the dropping of two major series and ruling out of any of their past iterations leaves you with some great options to pick up that the Toku community would love to see finally accessible to western audiences. You guys kept me from gnawing off my arm in frustration when you subbed PGSM as it released so I didn't have to miss out on the delightful goofiness of it, and seeing the discussions of other series you worked on led me to branch out from just Sentai stuff as well, so I hope you remain a presence in the community and use your skills to make some wishes come true. Don't use your power for good, use it for *awesome*.

Return to “Off Topic”