Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Saber and series discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Master Poll Link
Images

So in the end, how did you feel about this series? Was it an unforgettable story or just a meh one that should have been destroyed?
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Re: Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Saber and series discussion thread

Post by Uzur9 »

Glad Ghost 2.0 is over.
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

My first complete Rider season. I started watching for the potential that I saw in it, but the series definitely did not live up to the expectations. It had a good/decent first few episodes, and then it became bad in the middle. At some point after the middle, it did get a bit better, but it wasn't that much of an improvement, I guess.
It did have some good points. One of them being having some female Riders. Reika was one of them, and as a Rider I'd say she was cool. Another female one being the previous Kamen Rider Kenzan, from the Blu-ray bonus "Sword of Logos Saga"and (maybe she even appeared in the buster manga, I'm not sure). In the first episode that I watched of that bonus, she wasn't exactly much of a character(but I'm hoping she wasn't as bad as Ren) I don't think she even had any dialogues. But her existence in the Sword of Logos made me glad. I was just glad to know that there was a regular female Rider and swords woman in the Saber world at some point in history(before Sabela).
Also, there some songs by the cast, which I always appreciate. The cast song by the main 3 Riders, the songs sung by Mei and the one by Sophia. And the songs were actually good. So, I this was also a good point.
One of the saddest part is that TV-Nihon dropped Saber. I wish we saw subs from you guys. We could've gotten to watch more extra and bonus stuff.... 😥😓😞😣 But nothing's more important than people's live and safety, so that's fine
I'd mostly call Saber a meh. I don't hate it as much as other people might, but it's not quite lovable either. I'd give this a 2.5/5 but since I can't do that here, I'll give it a generous 3/5 stars.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Uzur9 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:36 pm Glad Ghost 2.0 is over.
The sad part is that Revise looks even worst...

As I said in the other thread. Saber is a 5/10 for me.

The suits are the best of the entire season (Calibur and Elemental Dragon specially) but the weapons are just freaking toys that looks way too plastic and cheap.

Horrible villains and boring or annoying characters but the actors were good and they were just doing what they were told.
Final Vent!
Layton13
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Quote: It's showtime!

Post by Layton13 »

I really enjoyed this show. The early parts had a few kinks in them, ala "I like this, but..." that were a bit annoying and the overloaded toy schedule was annoying in a way, but at least that part I won't hold too much against the writing team. But I still enjoyed my time, it's at least on a similar level as Zero-One's first arc, which had almost the exact same problems, but Saber made me feel more invested. Seems those are Reiwa problems... Oh well.

Around 15, the "buts" mostly disappeared and I really started to fall in love with the show. I liked the characters from the get-go, but the friction between them really made them shine, which to me is the most important bit, making me like the cast. Generally love the way they did a Rider War here, by building them up as a team to tear it down and rebuild them even stronger.

I also loved how much effort it took from Touma to actually get this happy ending. The amount of time he drags himself to a fight, sometimes even untransformed, really sold his determination and cemented him as a strong character for me. That ties wonderfully into the Primitiv Dragon arc, where only through Touma's determination to help they were able to defuse the situation. The arc is great and the payoff in the final is perfect! I generally like how much worldbuilding is seeded early and then paid off later, makes the show feel very focused and with a clear vision from start to finish.

And the final arc was just perfect. It pulled all these threads back together into something truly special for me. The show ending with the same ritual that set it into motion, to create the final book feels really fitting, especially since it was a conscious choice from Luna.

The antagonists are probably the weakest part. Compared to the rest of the cast, that felt they were explored enough, while still leaving me wanting more, in a good way, they felt like they needed more. Not that they were bad, they were just ok. Good enough to make me invested in their ends, so they can't be too bad.

All in all, a strong 8/8,5 from me and a season that will remain lodged into my memory for a while!

Let#s hope Revice can keep up.
Hero99
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Zero-One
Favorite Band: Veltpunch
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by Hero99 »

The best way I can describe Saber is "it's that one show you'd see your child watch when you pass by their room".

I feel like nothing major happened for most of the series except for some special two part episodes like reintroducing Kento, Desast's moral change or the phoenix guy. It was like a worse Gaim with the ending to Build but there was absolutely no stakes at all. Was it ever explained why Rintaro would call everyone a homo sapiens? Like everyone except the Megido and the people from Wonder World were human (and he doesn't give them any special names) so what was the point?

Even though I felt like nothing happened it was still entertaining, I could see children enjoy this one but it really felt like a big commercial for toys this time. I give it a 2.5 out of 5.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

>Was it ever explained why Rintaro would call everyone a homo sapiens?

I guess because he was an orphan whose father figured was killed by zoous? After that, he probably decided the library computer was his new father... but yeah, shit writing is sadly the answer to a lot of these
meowshk
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by meowshk »

Personally I'd give the series a 6, maybe 6.5 out of 10.
Ghost was the first and so far only Kamen Rider series that I ever struggled to get through, so I was worried going into Saber due to the same writers. And the early parts were certainly VERY rough for me outside of some instances. Kento's story arc prior to his 'death' was infuriating. Just three or four episodes in a row of him trying to do things solo, someone almost getting killed to save him, and then just repeating the same thing right after. Ren was easily my least favorite character in the show with the most basic of personalities that never really grew beyond its foundations. And the early part of the second arc where, basically just everyone believed Reika that Touma was a traitor with no proof because the plot demanded it felt like really poor writing. But I do feel like the series improved later on, albeit never reaching its full potential.
While the suit designs look great, the swords and Ride Books look very 'toy', and Xross Saber is a visually disappointing final form being just a recolor. And while the concept of Xross Saber's abilities are pretty cool, beyond its introduction when Touma restored the destroyed city, the power of creation is never used beyond just...making copies of swords to attack. Storious also felt like a very underdeveloped villain that wasn't anything I hadn't seen before. He didn't have much development prior to the final arc, a villain finding the end of something to be the most beautiful is just Dr. Maki from OOO, and destroying the world to break free of prophecies just makes me think of Tales of the Abyss. All in all, it wasn't something I would be likely to go back to and rewatch, but I don't regret my time and I feel like I would give it a rewatch over some other series in the franchise.
Aikawa
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Aikawa »

On paper it sounds great.
Powers based on stories, or animals, mythical or not, is an interesting idea that opens up a lot of design space, which, they didn't take a lot of advantage of. Having three slots for different powerups opens it up to a lot of room for mixing and matching powers for different situations, like OOO. which it, barely did. Having a lot of different riders that can move in and out of the story to suit different situations, and assuming they're all doing stuff on their own off camera is great, especially during the pandemic, it allows them to have both a large cast, and a small cast. which didn't happen, once introduced most characters just, stuck around. Having monsters based on stories or concepts has a lot of design space, but most felt weak and under developed, with little to know correlation to their themes.

I think that characters develop better than Ghost and Wizard, but, being above what I consider two of the worst series, is not a good place to be when it's going to be compared to all of the other reiwa and heisei series before it.

I give it, a 3/10. While it doesn't necessarily do anything objectively wrong, it feels like the story and characters are overall on the weaker side. Much like Wizard I feel it had a lot of positive potential ideas that really weren't explored in a way that resulted in an overall positive story. (and that 3/10 is largely in part to it's comparisons to other series from kuuga forward and how it stacks up to those series)
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

OK over all I like it slightly better then a meh series. It has it's moments but the story just seems not as epic as they made it out to be. In the past the rider would have a power up form then a ultimate form except for OOO who didn't really have either one and with Saber I feel it was almost like that. Almost. I feel like they they should go back to the formula that started it all, a lone rider against and entire evil organization bent on world domination. Just call it Shin Dai Shocker or something of the sort. LoL.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

takenoko wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:26 pm I guess because he was an orphan whose father figured was killed by zoous? After that, he probably decided the library computer was his new father...
Do they even have a computer in their library? They look way too traditional and medieval to even have computers imo. I mean, did anyone in Saber have a smartphone(other than those weird book-phones they introduced earlier in the series which were never again seen, and they definitely don't count as smartphones) apart from Touma or Mei? I don't even remember seeing Touma have a smartphone.
Last edited by Thenosa Yechette on Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

I didn't even make it past episode 8 and I'm SO glad I decided to not finish this season. The whole motif and the underlying mystery of what the baddies were doing along with what happened in Touma's past were REALLY interesting, but the fact that they didn't even give us ANY bits of info about that even after EIGHT EPISODES was really annoying. That and the plot of the episodes themselves got really boring WAY too quickly for me so I just gave up in the end. I actually liked Ghost a lot but as it got closer to the end, it felt like the plot wasn't going anywhere even with only a few episodes left so I stopped watching it. Hell, there was a whole two years where I watched the new season and got bored with it after 10 episodes or so (Fourze and WIIIIIIIIIZARD) but the fact that OOO seemed to drag on a bit towards the end for me probably didn't help out. So I ended up giving Saber a 2/5...the April Fool's Day episode however was PERFECTION and I give it a 10/5 xD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Kamen Rider Saber: It's some Game of Thrones shit

Thought of a tagline for the series. I don't use Twitter so I've gotta post it here XD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Results

Post by takenoko »

5 Stars 2
4 Stars 9
3 Stars 14
2 Stars 4
1 Star 3

Average 3.09375
Totals 32
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

takenoko wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:29 pm Kamen Rider Saber: It's some Game of Thrones shit

Thought of a tagline for the series. I don't use Twitter so I've gotta post it here XD
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! Hell, I didn't even watch Game of Thrones and I bet the ending was better that most of Saber OTL

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”