Total votes: 4
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Re: Fontaine 01 released

Post by resop2 »

Since the family in Fontaine was watching Wakusavers, this might be a good place to point out that Giga has a new pr0n title up where Rajura has her way with two JAV guys who are cosplaying suited Wakusaver Green and suited Wakusaver Yellow. Unlike most of the other titles the female smiles throughout the movie. I guess that is the privilege of being a rudos (antagonist character) in tokusatsu pr0n. Rajura's smile is appealing.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 am I mean, even I know about Poitrine. Meanwhile, I only recently learned that Poitrine was part of a series of heroine toku shows that didn't ever get any steam. It's like fushigi something? Who knows why some things get popular while other things kind of languish on the side
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toei_Fush ... edy_Series

Was it really that unsuccessful? They had 5 years' worth of series. That's not as long-lived as SS, obviously, but SS is an unrealistic comparison point there. Most shows would be delighted to go for 5 years.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:44 pm
takenoko wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 am I mean, even I know about Poitrine. Meanwhile, I only recently learned that Poitrine was part of a series of heroine toku shows that didn't ever get any steam. It's like fushigi something? Who knows why some things get popular while other things kind of languish on the side
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toei_Fush ... edy_Series

Was it really that unsuccessful? They had 5 years' worth of series. That's not as long-lived as SS, obviously, but SS is an unrealistic comparison point there. Most shows would be delighted to go for 5 years.
Maybe it's an east versus west thing? I definitely haven't heard of most of these shows. It's also crazy to me that they were created by Ishinomori Shoutarou

Edit: Also most of the links in that article are to articles yet to be created. Guess they're not super popular in the English speaking world
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

takenoko wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:47 pm Maybe it's an east versus west thing? I definitely haven't heard of most of these shows. It's also crazy to me that they were created by Ishinomori Shoutarou
I don't think it was so much a matter of east-west as it was the fact that these were practically spoofs of themselves.. Remember when Saban got hold of Carranger and decided to try and make it serious? Sometimes there's just no way to take a comedy and make it something else, and few western companies seem interested in trying to explain all the puns and cultural references.

For example, Pai Pai escapes to Earth after her lover's turned into a daikon radish and ends up as a live-in babysitter for a guy who thinks he's Indiana Jones. She spends the series not only fending off the henchmen that were hired to take her back to marry the emperor, but also the snobby aunt of the boys she's watching, all while trying to restore her lover. The show's quite funny, but it's not something that companies in the west found marketable due to how much it relies on both Chinese and Japanese cultural references. The same can be said for Ipanema, the only other show I've seen thus far.

Honestly, the shows are very lighthearted and I think the main reason nobody's subbed them yet is simply because we don't have high quality raws of them (the Pai Pai episodes TOEI posted on YouTube are the same VHS rips that have been circulating online for years). It's a shame, because they're actually a nice change of pace from the bulk of modern toku. If I ever find a way to get the scripts and have some time, I might say screw it and try to sub one or both of them myself. Meanwhile, I'll keep hoping some group will pick them up (even Poitrine hasn't been subbed yet beyond the first episode, so far as I know).
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Hmm. Looks like Paipai is on TTFC at 480 resolution. Probably as good as you can expect from something so old. I imagine it's probably not too different from the YouTube uploads
SVNBob
Go Go!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by SVNBob »

Ashki wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:26 am Honestly, the shows are very lighthearted and I think the main reason nobody's subbed them yet
I'm pretty sure there was a project to sub the second Toei Fushigi Comedy Series, Batten Robomaru. And I think they finished the whole series back in the spring.

That might be the only one completed, but it's something.
Kadence_Narrator
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Quote: "Hey, do you know? When you have a dream... sometimes it's really painful... and sometimes you get really fired up. Or so I hear. I don't have a dream. But, you know, I can protect dreams."

Post by Kadence_Narrator »

As for why this is less viewed than Wakusaver was, may I suggest in part the fact that, as far as I can tell, Fontaine eps 1 and 2 have no English subtitles? That severely affects how many English speakers will watch.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

But those subtitles were rubbish and pretty sure season 2 didn't have captions
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

takenoko wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:46 am Hmm. Looks like Paipai is on TTFC at 480 resolution. Probably as good as you can expect from something so old. I imagine it's probably not too different from the YouTube uploads
That's the same rip that's been circulating on the web for years. TOEI was literally too lazy to post fresh rips, so a lot (if not most) of the raws on their channel are ones taken from the internet. Theoretically, the entire TOEI Fushigi Comedy Series was shot using film and thus easily upscaled to 1080 or better if they didn't get rid of the masters. Unless someone officially licensed Pai Pai or did a frame-by-frame remaster, we'll probably never get better quality. Which is a shame, but honestly there are only a few spots where the sound or frames are badly degraded and most of those are at the beginning of the first episode.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop

Return to “Giga Tokusatsu”