Captain Marvelous, arriving on a pile of garbage apparently lol

What a cool fruit spread

Don sold his key? Amazing

Navi > Secchan

LOL, how does Matsumoto Hiroya fit into this world

Ooh, KirameiSilver key? That's new

lol, that was pretty cool when the lady activated the keys automatically

Man, Ahim hasn't aged a bit

That's hilarious that the Ministry of Defense wants to use ranger powers to conquer the galaxy.

Great entrance from Joe

Love Marvelous and Ahim's red ranger show case for the more recent sentai

Y'know, this special is amazingly good, but I'm starting to get tired of Gai making meme faces throughout it

I was wondering if it was that kid. Pretty sure that bridge from the beginning was from that episode too

Oh, I missed Don's antics

The ocotopus kaijin is cool. Kind of like an octopus medusa

LOL, that bulky suit. Was pretty cool to see the individual components before they combined. Pretty cool to see that all the parts match where they are in Gokai-Oh. For a moment I was like "Oh, the ladies are the legs, I see how it is" lol. Cool way to add a robo battle without needing the robo

Fantastic 10 years after. Maybe the best one of these done so far? Totally worthy of Gokaiger as a series and as one of the best Sentai shows. Don't usually do ratings for these, but this is a classic 5/5 performance on every level

Edit: Is it just me, but it feels like Ahim talks a lot more in this movie when she's actually on screen than she did in the original series

Looks like they didn't get the original boy from Gokaiger 2 to take the role again. The original actor was Izumi Daichi, and this is what he looks like now:
https://www.instagram.com/daichi_izumi/

Oh, and this pun is to die for. The guy's name is Niwano Masatoshi. But if you can read kanji, it can be read as Niwa no Shounen or "The kid from episode 2". Fucking brilliant
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Cameos

Post by takenoko »

Dude, why didn't anyone tell me that Yamasaki Jun (Agito/Faiz) and Sakata Rikako (Miu from Fourze) are in this movie as the minister of defense and the lady villain?

Also Matsubara Tsuyoshi from Project.R the Sentai music group is another villain

I got the obvious ones, Matsumoto Hiroya and Basco's actor and figured Seki Tomokazu (Gokaiger item voice) was the ring announcer. I recognized Yoshida Metal (Gaim). I didn't recognize the girls as being from Toqger, but they're the young versions of pink and yellow from that series

Edit:
Actually, why are all the bad guys portrayed by Kamen Rider actors? What are you trying to say, Toei?
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ten_Gokai ... der_Cameos
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: Cameos

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:20 am I got the obvious ones, Matsumoto Hiroya and Basco's actor and figured Seki Tomokazu (Gokaiger item voice) was the ring announcer. I recognized Yoshida Metal (Gaim). I didn't recognize the girls as being from Toqger, but they're the young versions of pink and yellow from that series
Shimizu Rara, young Kagura, used to randomly like my photos on Instagram. She didn't even follow me, but there was a time where it didn't matter what I posted, within a day or so, she'd have liked it. I can only assume she's nosy and spies on her followers. She's fairly active acting still I know. She's been in a few stage plays, including one with Kudo Haruka (Lupin Yellow). It's kind of funny that she's 19 now, where as "adult" Kagura was only 15 when ToQger started. Young Hikari was in Lupin vs Pat so I guess that's at least 3 of them still acting.

I really enjoyed the movie itself, if only because of nostalgia. I was grinning like an idiot in much the same way as I was during Go-Onger 10 Years Grand-Prix. Nice we got the Gokai Changes for the newer shows, complete with gender swaps, and we even got the gender-swapped Green and Yellow to make up for them not bothering with it back during their body swap episode. A shame we didn't get full-team changes, if only because I want an answer on how the hell Kyuranger and Lupin vs Pat would work.

The actual plot was kind of meh. it's the kind of typical Toei plot they do for big crossovers. A lot of the guest stars were kind of wasted, honestly. Weird as well a lot of them are from Rider instead of Sentai, too. I did like how they made it canon that Navi did actually get left on Earth after Zyuohger. I just assumed they'd have popped back to get him.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Re: Cameos

Post by Gokider »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm Love Marvelous and Ahim's red ranger show case for the more recent sentai
HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:50 pm Nice we got the Gokai Changes for the newer shows, complete with gender swaps, and we even got the gender-swapped Green and Yellow to make up for them not bothering with it back during their body swap episode. A shame we didn't get full-team changes, if only because I want an answer on how the hell Kyuranger and Lupin vs Pat would work.
Featuring the Ranger Keys for the completed series that hadn't gotten them yet like they did on Zyuohger was pretty much a given since it showcases the new toys and what the audience wants to see, but since Lupin vs Pat made it six teams instead of 5, they really should've done it as a full team change. It could still be all Red with the team selected by what suits the specific member (like Ryusoulger for Joe and Lupin for Luka) as they did in Zyouhger and other group changes, but I would've personally preferred everyone stick to their own colors since I think it would've been suitable to match the order of the shows to the Roll Call. Marvelous-Zyuoh Eagle, Joe-Ookami Blue, Luka-Lupin Yellow, Don-Patren 2gou, Ahim-Ryusoul Pink, and Gai-Kiramai Silver (maybe even have Navi imitate Secchan right after).

Granted if they had wanted to really showcase the Ranger Keys as a whole they could've done multiple team changes with either various mixes of everyone using their own counterparts as they did in their finale episode or succeeding color changes in the order of their role call (with Luka obviously using Washi Pink for the all pink change) followed by the other colors.

takenoko wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:20 am Actually, why are all the bad guys portrayed by Kamen Rider actors? What are you trying to say, Toei?
Reference to Super Hero Taisen?

I did find it weird they had Basco's actor and not Basco when his Rapparatta is featured and he just played him in Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger The Movie: Red Battle! All Sentai Rally!!
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Re: Ten Gokaiger Discussion Thread

Post by fartboy »

I just wanted to say, I started watching Sentai with your guy's Gokaiger sub. Thanks for everything over the years. Can't wait for if or when you ever come back.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thanks! In the mean time you can always enjoy the anonymous other groups working on the shows that we used to work on
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

takenoko wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:46 pm Thanks! In the mean time you can always enjoy the anonymous other groups working on the shows that we used to work on
Any idea how/where to find them?

Gokaiger's the only Super Sentai I've watched so not seeing this film it nervewracking. (Same goes for Zero-One and its epilogues.)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

They seem to post to nyaa and Tokyo toshokan a lot
vasyear
7X
Quote: don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining

Post by vasyear »

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

vasyear wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:54 pm Just found this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mkavw2FkYg
Interesting...
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well that's easily the most fun I've had since Kiramager went off the air. Not to put too fine of a point on it, but it's great to be able to watch a team that can properly transition from silly to serious and back again.

Since TV-N isn't doing Sentai subs anymore, I hadn't seen any of the promos for this movie that used footage from it. So I went into this movie pretty blind, and without much in the way of expectations. Suffice it to say, I've come away impressed. It's an enjoyable (if a bit short) outing that at a high level hits all of the high points of Gokaiger. And, a bit to my surprise, even though Gokaiger itself is an anniversary series, they managed to keep the vast majority of the focus on the pirates itself, instead of getting bogged down with cameos from other Sentai alumni. Celebrating (okay, waxing nostalgically) over past seasons was a major component of Gokaiger, so as we saw in the series itself, it's not always easy to tell a Gokaiger story that doesn't go overboard with nostalgia. But then if anyone can get the tone right, it's the series' original main writer, Arakawa Naruhisa, so I'm glad Toei was able to bring back the writing staff and not just the actors.

On the whole I liked the plot, but I do have some nitpicks with it. The biggest of which is that the basic premise is a retread of Gokaiger vs. Go-Busters: the Gokaigers show up being evil, but it turns out they're actually just undercover to stop the real big bad. This movie eventually goes in a very different direction than the VS movie, thankfully. But the basic plot structure is perhaps a bit too close. Past that, the story plays to each character's archetype well, from the loose cannon Marvelous to the aloof Don.

The plot almost went in an interesting direction with the bad guys, and I'm disappointed that it didn't follow through with the concept. For a short period of time it toys with the idea that the bad guys are all humans - plain, powerless humans - and that would have been really groundbreaking for Super Sentai. Bog standard humans attempting to invade and take over the galaxy in the name of peace? That's pretty damned deep for Super Sentai, and I believe Toei could have gone all the way with the idea given the more adult nature of these reunion movies. Instead, the movie backs away from the idea by revealing that the aides are actually aliens. Sure, the defense minister is a proper human (and a clear scumbag at that), but as the story is presented, he's largely absolved of any real responsibility here since it was the aliens who originally put him up to it as part of their big plan. At the end of the day, I suppose the heroes need some rubber-suited monster to fight (it is Super Sentai, after all), but man the possibilities...

In any case, since the bad guys weren't really humans, I can't help but feel that it undermines the question of whether the Earth is worth protecting. The question is a good callback to the original series, but it's not really being tested given that the humans were duped here. The movie approaches the question in a serious manner, but there's not enough depth/ambiguity here to ever call into question the answer; so it ends up being a little melodramatic.

On a side note, how exactly are you going to take over the galaxy with Super Sentai? Basco's trumpet can only summon 6 rangers at once. They're powerful, but that's still very outnumbered.:lol:

Moving on, in terms of production values, this movie is a step up from previous 10 year reunion specials. Still, for a Gokaiger reunion - and one that got a theatrical release, no less - I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting more. The lack of a robo fight was to be expected (that would be a really big surprise if they did one of those), but most of the special was shot on the Toei backlot. They did get a number of shots in public early on, but by the end they were in Toei's parking garage. The fight from the first episode of the series itself is still showier, by comparison. Still, credit is due for doing more involved/intensive fights than in previous reunion movies. And of course, for making sure to incorporate all of those small touches from the Gokaigers' fighting style, such as weapon swapping and Joe's one-handed fighting style.

Speaking of Joe, I understand his actor is pretty well established these days. So it's entirely likely that a much bigger chunk of the budget for this movie had to go into paying the cast to get everyone back. In fact I'm a bit surprised they were even able to get everyone back for a movie like this. I'm very glad they did, but actor availability has always been an issue for the franchise, so someone deserves some credit for making that happen. Meanwhile, I'm glad Toei put the complete cast to good use; everyone got a good part or two (even if some were smaller than the others). And better still, we got a helmetless roll call! I always have been and always will be a sucker for getting the actors in the spandex suits.:D

As for the villains, now there's an interesting group. We got a guy whose outfit was mostly body paint, rather than a foam-rubber suit; you just don't see that very often in Sentai. Pragmatically, I'm sure this was the cheaper option, but it happens so rarely that it's kind of a nice treat. Meanwhile, if not for the wiki, I would have totally missed the fact that the female baddie was Miu's actress. Something about her looked familiar, so I was expecting it was some kind of cameo, but man do glasses and a change in haircuts make a huge difference. I hadn't even considered her as a possibility.

They also brought back the kid from episode 2! Except they didn't use the same actor!:( I like the concept behind it, since he did have a couple of appearances in the original series, and was arguably Marvelous's tether to Earth to begin with. So that's a nice throwback. However the execution wasn't as good as it needed to be; besides the fact that the replacement actor doesn't especially look like the original, his personality was significantly different as well. In the series, the kid was head-strong and assertive (a mini-Marvelous, in some ways). However here he's mostly soft-spoken and timid. Ultimately an effort is made to indicate to the audience that this is same character (even before the explicit revelation), but the actual characterization is off.

Finally, I'm a bit surprised by the fact that we didn't get any Zenkaiger appearances or mentions. The movie only goes up to Kiramager with its transformations and character appearances. To be sure, I am in no way saddened by this (Zenkaiger sucks!). But given that it's the current series, an anniversary series, and has been on the air for 8 months by the time the movie came out, it's rather unlike Toei. Hopefully, this means that someone realizes why Zenkaiger isn't much liked.

Anyhow, my usual overanalysis aside, I really enjoyed this movie. It's nice to have something Sentai-related to look forward to. And Hatte Saburo willing, we'll get them back for Super Sentai's 50th anniversary as well!

Side observations
  • I was getting worried near the end that they didn't have the puppet for Navi anymore. I'm glad they didn't forget the best bird!
  • Curiously, there were no Final Wave attacks in this movie. All the finishers were replaced with Gokai Cross attacks. It stands out a bit since pretty much every other regularly used Mobirates phrase was uttered at some point
  • Having the guy who voices the Mobirates as the ring announcer was brilliant :lol:
  • I had to look up what a stye was. I can appreciate the red herring with the eye patch, but man, I was expecting some kind of epic story about how Marvelous lost his eye :(
  • I always forget just how short Ahim's actress is; it's a pretty stark difference between her and Kiramei Silver (or even Basco)
  • The Crystalian Shield of Veritas never came up in Kiramager, right?
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:05 pm Don sold his key? Amazing
It's such a Don thing to do, too. That's spot-on writing! :lol:
He's basically become a fixed point across all of Super Sentai. No matter the universe, no matter the team, Matsumoto Hiroya is there watching.
Man, Ahim hasn't aged a bit
They all look good for 10 years later. But yeah, Ahim's actress in particular barely looks like she aged a day.
Y'know, this special is amazingly good, but I'm starting to get tired of Gai making meme faces throughout it
I was good with the amount of Gai we got. But using his character correctly definitely requires a careful touch. His enthusiasm for Super Sentai is fantastic, so long as it's not overdone. And that's a fine line to walk.
Edit: Is it just me, but it feels like Ahim talks a lot more in this movie when she's actually on screen than she did in the original series
It's not just you. I'm too lazy to go back and count the minutes of screentime, but Ahim is definitely on screen more and delivering more lines than in the typical Gokaiger episode. I wouldn't be surprised if this was driven in part by actor availability, but either way, it works for me. Having an extremely polite lady pirate was always one of the series' strongest gags. She also gets the majority of the focus in one of the Henshin Lessons, second to only Marvelous himself, which serves to underscore the greater focus on Ahim.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

> they managed to keep the vast majority of the focus on the pirates itself, instead of getting bogged down with cameos from other Sentai alumni.

I was definitely surprised by how few sentai cameos there were. A lot of the main cameos were ones for Gokaiger itself, which was pleasing. (Although I wish they got the kid from ep 2 back)

>it's not always easy to tell a Gokaiger story that doesn't go overboard with nostalgia.

And that's why Gokaiger is the most successful anniversary project Toei has ever done

>But then if anyone can get the tone right, it's the series' original main writer, Arakawa Naruhisa, so I'm glad Toei was able to bring back the writing staff and not just the actors.

He definitely knows how to write a sentai-ass sentai

>The biggest of which is that the basic premise is a retread of Gokaiger vs. Go-Busters: the Gokaigers show up being evil, but it turns out they're actually just undercover to stop the real big bad.

The plot is pretty predictable, but I think that's sometimes undervalued. We watch these superhero series to expect a superhero story. Sometimes Toei's biggest fumbles is when they try to go against type, and don't really have the writing chops to pull it off. It's nice to pull the mystery or romance novel off the shelf knowing what you're going to get

> Bog standard humans attempting to invade and take over the galaxy in the name of peace? That's pretty damned deep for Super Sentai, and I believe Toei could have gone all the way with the idea given the more adult nature of these reunion movies.

It was a neat little twist for sure

>Instead, the movie backs away from the idea by revealing that the aides are actually aliens. Sure, the defense minister is a proper human (and a clear scumbag at that)

If you've seen Agito, it's Yamazaki Jun who played Houjou or that Lucky Clover guy from Faiz. I didn't recognize him at all

>The movie approaches the question in a serious manner, but there's not enough depth/ambiguity here to ever call into question the answer; so it ends up being a little melodramatic.

They do kind of repeat the question a lot to the viewer lol

>On a side note, how exactly are you going to take over the galaxy with Super Sentai? Basco's trumpet can only summon 6 rangers at once. They're powerful, but that's still very outnumbered.:lol:

Oh, was there a limit of six? I didn't even notice that lol. But it makes s a lot of sense

> but most of the special was shot on the Toei backlot.

Hmm, maybe a covid restriction?

>Still, credit is due for doing more involved/intensive fights than in previous reunion movies. And of course, for making sure to incorporate all of those small touches from the Gokaigers' fighting style, such as weapon swapping and Joe's one-handed fighting style.

Oh yeah, loved that

>I'm very glad they did, but actor availability has always been an issue for the franchise, so someone deserves some credit for making that happen.

I think someone said Joe's actor came back because he had a soft spot for Gokaiger

>And better still, we got a helmetless roll call! I always have been and always will be a sucker for getting the actors in the spandex suits.:D

Again, very cool

>Meanwhile, if not for the wiki, I would have totally missed the fact that the female baddie was Miu's actress. Something about her looked familiar, so I was expecting it was some kind of cameo, but man do glasses and a change in haircuts make a huge difference. I hadn't even considered her as a possibility.

I told that to Luna and she was surprised by this fact too lol

>In the series, the kid was head-strong and assertive (a mini-Marvelous, in some ways). However here he's mostly soft-spoken and timid. Ultimately an effort is made to indicate to the audience that this is same character (even before the explicit revelation), but the actual characterization is off.

I think they purposefully chose a soft looking actor to give him the appearance of a child. The original guy seems pretty wild now lol

>Finally, I'm a bit surprised by the fact that we didn't get any Zenkaiger appearances or mentions.

I'm not. *coughs*

>Hopefully, this means that someone realizes why Zenkaiger isn't much liked.

As much as that appeals to my schaden freude, I'm pretty sure the reason is just a practical one. You can't have two anniversary projects competing for the spotlight

[*]I was getting worried near the end that they didn't have the puppet for Navi anymore. I'm glad they didn't forget the best bird!

I guess Navi got left behind in the Jyuohger Gokaiger special? I'll have to check that episode, but nice continuity check?

[*]I had to look up what a stye was. I can appreciate the red herring with the eye patch, but man, I was expecting some kind of epic story about how Marvelous lost his eye :(

I only recently learned what that was from Binding of Isaac lol. Honestly, the word doesn't seem like a Marvelous phrase. Maybe I should have just said "I've just gotta pimple on my eye."

>[*]The Crystalian Shield of Veritas never came up in Kiramager, right?[/list]

Did it not? It sounds hecka familiar though? Remind me to check on that too
He's basically become a fixed point across all of Super Sentai. No matter the universe, no matter the team, Matsumoto Hiroya is there watching.

They actually "fixed" this by just changing his name slightly with the kanji. So he's portraying an actor in the Sentai fiction, just one that didn't actually portray MagiYellow and Beet Buster

>I was good with the amount of Gai we got. But using his character correctly definitely requires a careful touch. His enthusiasm for Super Sentai is fantastic, so long as it's not overdone. And that's a fine line to walk.

I'm just not a fan of his actor. I had to deal with his appearance in Garo too

>Ahim is definitely on screen more and delivering more lines than in the typical Gokaiger episode. I wouldn't be surprised if this was driven in part by actor availability, but either way, it works for me. Having an extremely polite lady pirate was always one of the series' strongest gags. She also gets the majority of the focus in one of the Henshin Lessons, second to only Marvelous himself, which serves to underscore the greater focus on Ahim.

Maybe she's just a better actress now than she was back then. Or maybe she got some new respect for her cooking mama series. Either way, glad to get more time with her
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

Well, this certainly deserves a 6/5

Man, that Anon group on Nyaa is really good. I wish they did the current series too. Ah well, they probably have their reasons, maybe someday.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:55 am On a side note, how exactly are you going to take over the galaxy with Super Sentai? Basco's trumpet can only summon 6 rangers at once. They're powerful, but that's still very outnumbered.:lol:
It actually only has 5 slots, which made summoning the 6 Gokaiger keys at once near the end of series questionable, but it was shown being used multiple times in a row from it's first episode (15 Sixth Rangers being around at once). Admittedly, after that there were usually only a few summoned at a time, which would make sense if there was a limit to the energy used or something like that, but it was never addressed.
ViRGE wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:55 am Finally, I'm a bit surprised by the fact that we didn't get any Zenkaiger appearances or mentions. The movie only goes up to Kiramager with its transformations and character appearances. To be sure, I am in no way saddened by this (Zenkaiger sucks!). But given that it's the current series, an anniversary series, and has been on the air for 8 months by the time the movie came out, it's rather unlike Toei. Hopefully, this means that someone realizes why Zenkaiger isn't much liked.
Not including Zenkaiger in the Ranger Key update is consistent with Zyouhger as they were not included in the changes and appeared themselves in the Ending instead of a Gokai Change (hence being included in the update here), which makes sense as keys wouldn't be made if they're actively using their powers in their own series and Toei doesn't seem to want Ranger Keys of series that isn't completed yet (except Gokaiger of course). I still say they should've had Navi mimic Secchan for a second after the Gokai Change update.

Not appearing could simply be due to scheduling what with the Kamen Rider crossovers already adding to their schedule and frankly having them around could conflict with what's going on and raise too many questions what with the past Sentai being around in this, but not in the Zenkaiger series. Not being mentioned could simply be to avoid those questions or any complications (though an in-joke would've been fine).
ViRGE wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:55 am [*]I was getting worried near the end that they didn't have the puppet for Navi anymore. I'm glad they didn't forget the best bird!
Actually, it's remembering that they did forget Navi 5 years ago.
ViRGE wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:55 am [*]Having the guy who voices the Mobirates as the ring announcer was brilliant :lol:
That was basically a given since they had him do the voices for similar things during the series and they had the Decadriver voice be the announcer in the Decade movie tournament. Though he has been other device voices since Gokaiger (not even including currently on Zenkaiger) and voiced Gaisoulg who first appeared with Luka as the host attacking the rest of the team at the beginning of the "Super Sentai Strongest Battle" Special, which would've been interesting to bring up.

Speaking of which, how long have they been apart exactly since they were all together (except Navi) around the time of that special?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So I checked for the word "mirror" and did a Google search for "ベリタスの楯", and all the results are from Ten Gokaiger. It's pretty weird since you'd think they would have just used something from an actual Sentai show that already existed? I guess they must have really wanted to have that Kiramager cameo

And checking Jyuohger 29, Doc mentions he feels like they forgot something, which Joe dismisses as "did we?" Then they all board the ship and leave. Meanwhile, Navi is left to be dissected by the pervy uncle. Navi also yells out "my destiny is to appear in super sentai's 3000th episode too", so let's hope that happens

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”