Kitou Haruka, a character study

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kitou Haruka, a character study

Post by takenoko »

So before talking about this week's episode, I wanted to talk about our main viewpoint character. So far, she's a victim of circumstance and caught up in a situation in which she has no understanding of the scope or what's at stake beyond "killing people who turn into monsters is bad" and "maybe aliens rule the Earth and have infiltrated society like It Lives".

But what I find fun and entertaining about her character is that she's a flawed character. While bubbly and well-meaning, she's also kind of haughty. Indeed, calling someone an "oni" in Japanese is usually in the context of someone being so bossy and callous that they're like a monster

She has let the fame go to her head and basically introduces herself to the audience as a "genius". In more sloppy toku, this would be a fatal character flaw. But here, it's kind of endearing and makes her human. The mistakes are what make her relatable to me

You know how to say "everyone" in Japanese, it's "mina". Not Haruka, she's got to call them "minanoshu" (皆の衆). It's tantamount to thanking all the little people who've gotten her to where she is now. Then she follows up with kurushunai (苦しゅうない 苦しゅうない) like a benevolent queen telling her subjects to ease. Since Japanese has all these different levels of speaking depending on your ranking in society, it plays a part in her relationship with her classmates, and thus the audience's relationship with Haruka

It's fun to have a character with a personality in these shows. Not some vanilla generic well-meaning do-gooder. She wants to do the right thing, but is also kind of motivated by totally selfish reasons
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Re: Kitou Haruka, a character study

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

So far, my standpoint about Haruka is somewhere between like and dislike. I feel pity for her, and there are some things I dislike about her(her arrogant and disdainful sides, for example). I am forgiving about these sides of her, however. The season has only begun and she still has to get her share of character development. But she is certainly an interesting character, and a wise choice for the viewpoint character. My favorite traits about Haruka is that she is a teenager and a high school girl- the type of character we haven't had for a while in Super Sentai. Most importantly, this kind of character hasn't been handled very well in the seasons that I have watched. (Yellow Buster is an exception. Although, she didn't actually formally go to high school till the end of the season, so.... 😕😕) So I want to see them do justice to Haruka as that kind of a character.
Speaking of viewpoint characters, did Super Sentai seasons ever have viewpoint characters before Donbrothers? Cuz I don't remember seeing any in the seasons I that I have watched.
And what I said about the acting of the actress in the first episode thread, I think the acting has improved a lot in the last 2 episodes, and I hope it will get even better in the future. Haruka's interactions with the other Rangers have mostly been inconvenient so far, so I am certainly looking forward to seeing how things change in the future and how they form their friendships.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:33 am Speaking of viewpoint characters, did Super Sentai seasons ever have viewpoint characters before Donbrothers? Cuz I don't remember seeing any in the seasons I that I have watched.
Usually, but only if it's the red character
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Haruka's really enjoyable so far, and if she continues being the main character, then I'll be happy. So far in general I've enjoyed how the show isn't all about Red. Even Kyuranger, which I'd argue is very good at not focusing on Red, still had Lucky taking the focus at the start.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:23 am Haruka's really enjoyable so far, and if she continues being the main character, then I'll be happy. So far in general I've enjoyed how the show isn't all about Red. Even Kyuranger, which I'd argue is very good at not focusing on Red, still had Lucky taking the focus at the start.
Is this a Berenstein/Berenstain thing, what are you talking about? /me tries to remember if there were non-red episodes of KyuuRanger
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:27 am
HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:23 am Haruka's really enjoyable so far, and if she continues being the main character, then I'll be happy. So far in general I've enjoyed how the show isn't all about Red. Even Kyuranger, which I'd argue is very good at not focusing on Red, still had Lucky taking the focus at the start.
Is this a Berenstein/Berenstain thing, what are you talking about? /me tries to remember if there were non-red episodes of KyuuRanger
There were whole arcs devoted to Stinger, Champ, Naga and Tsurugi. Stinger and Hammie got their own movies. Lucky got his arcs too but the show was absolutely not a Red-focused show.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:08 am There were whole arcs devoted to Stinger, Champ, Naga and Tsurugi. Stinger and Hammie got their own movies. Lucky got his arcs too but the show was absolutely not a Red-focused show.
I mean, I remember they were there? Ooh yeah, Tsurugi. The poor writing across the board basically meant none of that stuck. I don't think the girl had her own movie though?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:03 pm
HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:08 am There were whole arcs devoted to Stinger, Champ, Naga and Tsurugi. Stinger and Hammie got their own movies. Lucky got his arcs too but the show was absolutely not a Red-focused show.
I mean, I remember they were there? Ooh yeah, Tsurugi. The poor writing across the board basically meant none of that stuck. I don't think the girl had her own movie though?
Kyuranger vs Space Squad is Hammie's movie in everything but name.

I feel like you need to re-watch Kyuranger because you seem to have forgotten virtually everything about it.
Seen:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I feel like a good chunk of those focus episodes still had a ton of Lucky in them
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:24 pm
takenoko wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:03 pm

Kyuranger vs Space Squad is Hammie's movie in everything but name.
I was about to ask if that was the DekaRanger movie but that's something else lol
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Speaking of episode of Stinger, anyone else have high hopes for an "Episode of Stacy" V-cinema? Cuz, I totally do, lol. 😄😅🤣
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:24 pm Kyuranger vs Space Squad is Hammie's movie in everything but name.
Did any other Sentai VS movie focus mainly on one character?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”