DonBrothers 04 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:41 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
73%
☆☆☆☆
27%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 04 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.36 of 5 stars (14 votes)

Is this Haruka's first time wearing her split jean skirt civilian outfit? We've seen her wear it in the joke Donburi promo but I don't recall her wearing it in the show itself outside the opening

Pheasant Consultant for Kijino lol. Even the logo is pink

LOL Tarou. No one likes a know-it-all

Hold on. I can't believe that child Tarou is so annoying that I'd move away. Anyway, we're starting to get an idea of what's wrong with Tarou. Actually, is he an alien? He did appear out of nowhere right?

That mom didn't even bother to thank them for saving her daughter

Blue, are you here to explain everything?

I want onigiri now

Did I miss something? Why is the onigiri shop not doing well? The food seems pretty good and there's only so much bad help can do to sabotage the business

Lol are you kidding me? Momoi is literally the guy who's like "You're playing it wrong. Give me the controller". Oh now he's getting a headache and turning into a monster. It's almost like Momoi Tarou is at fault for some of these monsters

The portals in this show are fun. A lot of neat uses

Pretty good episode characterwise. We learn more about Kijino. And we get some insight into Tarou. I actually felt kind of bad for him at multiple points, which is not something I would have expected given the overly cheerful facade that he puts up. Is that all fake? Makes you wonder
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: DonBrothers 04 discussion thread

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah like, kids can be super annoying, but to the point that grown-ass adults are protesting outside his window? And moving away? Just lock your door, grin and bear it, or tell the kid to go away.

Momoi Taro confirmed Gary Stu.

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:41 pm Did I miss something? Why is the onigiri shop not doing well? The food seems pretty good and there's only so much bad help can do to sabotage the business
I mean, every convenience store everywhere sells 100 yen onigiri so you better be really confident in your onigiri cause you'll have to charge at least double the price and people won't pay that if it's almost the same quality.

I did feel kinda bad for Momoi at parts but at the same time it's really hard not to sympathize with the workers cause like, they signed up for food service, not boot camp. It's a paycheck, not a calling for them.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Momoi Tarou is definitely a problem. This is the second episode in a row where he either doesn't know or doesn't care that what he's saying is causing distress to the monster of the week

But at the same time, I get that he wants to push people to be the best that they can be. Clearly the two onigiri guys needed some customer service training. Maybe let them use a mop and just tell them "here's how you say 'thank you' from the heart" instead of making them go through training?

At the same time, I wonder if he's acting that way on purpose, because it really gives Kijino a push to be a better person too. Kijino goes from passive to a more active role, and even goes out of his way to make his wife make sandwiches for the two dudes. After all, they tell that story about Tarou realizing he went too far as a kid on purpose. If he didn't learn anything from that incident, then that's a problem and serious character flaw. But maybe he does know that he's affecting people that way, and is weaponizing it to push them to be better anyway?

It's not easy to lead people and it's never easy to tell a person "I need you to do it this way instead". There's room for people in organizations like Tarou, but I think it's also important to have a Kijino to tell him to ease off on the employees
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I think Taro on his own was going too far, not because he didn't learn from the past, but because he simply doesn't know how to lie. For example, when he told the owner the onigiri was delicious and scored it an 80, he gave constructive criticism, which points out the good and not just the bad. And when the owner returned, he did the same, but instead of giving just constructive criticism, he gave the owner everything he needed to be the best. Had it not been for the MotW, that would've been a happy ending right there.

As for the workers, I think part of the problem was that he saw them lazing about and they seemed so uninterested in their jobs. From my own experience with both running a business and holding a managerial role in other businesses in past, I would have had those two on probation or been ready to replace them if that's how they always act. And when he tried to show them how to properly do a floor, the one worker refused and gave an excuse that contradicted the way he was able to slouch about just a few minutes before. He said he couldn't bend, so Taro had them stretching.

All in all, I get why he did everything he did, but Kijino pointed out what he was failing to do that he succeeded in doing with the owner - he never complimented or gave constructive criticism to the workers. He treated the owner with respect,but lorded over the employees. Kijino stepping it up was the only way to get the employees to do the same, because he understood that criticism without constructive, positive input is merely destructive. And by him treating the employees as equals, he won the day.

But one thing that kind of stung in a good way - Taro heard the employees complaining and you could see he was hurt. While I would normally agree that an entire apartment won't leave due to one child, it was made pretty clear that he was terrorizing the people to the point that they simply got fed up and since the landlord wasn't kicking the boy out, they found new lodgings elsewhere. And knowing that, it's also very clear that Taro was having his own flashbacks. That's why he never returned to the agency and we see him looking so alone at the end of the episode - he's really taking those opinions to heart but doesn't know what to do about it. It's kind of an old trope, the haughty prince or princess forced to live as a peasant and learn humility.

The Blue/Yellow combi was adorable, even though they ultimately failed in their efforts. But I think those two will become fast friends. Also, it seems we now know why our new Black is a wanted criminal - He keeps killing the aliens, but only he knows that they're not human, so the police just see him as some sort of serial killer. I wouldn't be surprised if some old woman calls him otaku at some point, especially since the younger generations throw that word around so casually these days. It would be an interesting reference for the older viewers, though.

The doors really are coming into their own, and watching Haruka get punted out the door because "visiting time is over" was quite fun. I'm beginning to wonder if her getting punted every episode will continue to be a running gag after all, just in different forms each episode. It'll end up being part of the DonBrothers Drinking Game, if that happens. "Take one long swig every time - Oh my god! They kicked Haruka! Those bastards!"

Only four episodes in and I'm more invested in this sentai than I have most others before the second half. I love how different everyone is and how they all are somehow balancing each other out. And we're even getting more time with the wife to see how perfect their marriage is (for what little time is left of it). We even have a tiny bit more insight into the baddies, despite them only having a few lines this episode. As much as I'm enjoying the Super Sentai and Ultraman series I'm currently watching (hint: both involve teachers as the heroes), this is the show I look forward to the most.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Tarou's interesting because the truth will always be true. But people's feelings also matter. We can blame the monster for corrupting the owner, but totally showing him up at the end didn't help anything. Pretty sure the owner's not making divine onigiri the Tarou-way at the end

And Tarou can be right about everything, but if his actions just annoy everyone and make them not want to listen to him, well, I think the end results speak for themselves, don't they? There's more to life and management than being right
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

You know, it's quite a refreshing change to have the show be self-aware enough to know Red is an annoying prick that everyone hates, rather than having everyone treat him like a God. Jin seems to like Tarou though. Wonder if the ego-stroking is why he wanted the others to pledge loyalty to him.

Actually, thinking about that, are the others supposed to pledge like Haruka did? We know Blue didn't know his identity until now, and Pink seems not to, so maybe they'll be pledging soon too.

You can tell Inoue normally does Rider because the plot structure here is very Rider like. A regular Sentai normally gives us an exposition dump in episode 2, but Rider tends to draw things out. I'm loving it so far. For the first time in a while I'm actually looking forward to the new episode every week. (Although time zones and work mean I have to wait until Monday evening to watch if I want subs.)
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Great episode! A lot of sweet character moments... A different side of Tarou was revealed and I can finally start caring about him more deeply. 2 rangers know each other's indentities.... No complaints....

Poor Haruka.... She doesn't deserve this.....

Wait I thought the light thief was killed.... Then how'd their lights get stolen?

Wait, how did she even get up there, there were no stairs leading up to that portal....

Ok, I feel pity for Haruka, but she is still making me laugh a lot....

Wait, Haruka roamed around the city with Tarou for a whole day(and longer), and still didn't get his phone number? How stupid.....

Tsuyoshi's company is called "Pheasant Consultant".... Cool...

Wait, Tarou already switched jobs....? That was fast....

And of course Tarou says "We are linked ...." Called it!

Jin, you're asking a stranger to try and understand the weirdo called 'Tarou".... Do you even hear yourself?

So Tarou's always been a know-it-all, bossy and nosy.... Lol. Interesting.... Guess he can't help it if he's too talented.... Plus, he had good intentions....

Oh no.... They wanted to kick a kid out of the neighborhood? And even isolated him?That is very cruel ..... Wow, he sure led a painful life.... Poor kid....

And why did Tarou address Jin by his name directly, instead of calling him 'dad' or 'father' or something?

Come on, Haruka! Don't make me laugh right after hearing a tragic story with that reaction! Dang it! 😓😶

Man, will they stop mistreating her, already?! Jin barely explained anything at all.... Not to mention he didn't answer her questions....

Finally, another scene with Tsubasa!!!

Lol, nice Patranger reference... I thought that was reserved for the next episode, though....

Lol, Tarou's training is hilarious!!!

Wow, this scene where Tsuyoshi joins the training is so touching....

Awww.... I love Tsuyoshi and his wife's relationship.... So sweet! I just hope this doesn't get wrecked or no one gets fridged.....

Wow they sure find out about their identities in an interesting way....

Lol, he was even trying to train the Rangers' the previous day? Dude, that's too sudden and too much...

Yay! Blue and Yellow are teaming up!!! Cool....

I guess, the only conversation Zenkaizer black will have with with Haruka from now on is,
"いいよ"..... An hourglass with black sand ... Rare.... I wonder if these random strange activities he does(playing cards alone, playing with an hourglass)every episode have any special meaning, or if they will have any meaning in the future....

The Onigiri chef is the MOTW...? Wow, I never would've expected that.... This is very intriguing....

Poor Tarou, he means well...... Someone try to appreciate that .... Looks like his special training didn't go the way I expected it to....

Well, looks like Tarou's explanation was a little too complicated for the chef....

Why is she treating Inubrother like a puppy... Doesn't she see his tude? And wait till she sees the guy under that guise... Lol, I definitely wanna see her reaction...

Wow, I was almost hoping Black and Pink would use the Lupinranger gear.... They fooled me.... 😤🧐😒

Wait, how come pink and black get Ryusoulkens as weapons but blue and yellow don't get VS changers as weapons? Do the mechanisms work differently for different teams?

Oh, so it's the Donbrothers' weapons that turn Hitotsukis back to humans.... Glad they revealed that part.... Unless, they reveal in the future that it's more complicated than what they said.

The 3 villain generals are finally together....

Ok, that usage of ToQger Alter form was very creative... Lol.

..... And the palanquin is back! Yay!!!

This time Zenkaizer black says nothing.... Ok....

It's good that Tarou and Tsuyoshi's efforts paid off....

Looks like Tarou still has a hard time fitting in and adjusting to this world..... Apparently, he's not great at everything after all... This makes me try to sympathize with him.

2 episodes in a row with ZERO mech fights and not a lot of fighting.... I'm loving this new episode format!!! Plus, we saw a bit of Tarou's struggles. That part was executed pretty well. Loved it.

Finally, next week is the episode I've been waiting for!!! A Black focus episode, as well as the episode where the 5 of them will gather in their human forms for the first time..... Yay!!! And looks like Tarou will go back to his job as a delivery person.... Glad to know that.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:41 pm Is this Haruka's first time wearing her split jean skirt civilian outfit? We've seen her wear it in the joke Donburi promo but I don't recall her wearing it in the show itself outside the opening
It is the first time, because that outfit (including the skirt) looked totally new when I saw her wearing it in the scene where she goes to find Tarou. Besides, they probably have a good budget for the characters' wardrobe this season. Because it's only been a few episodes and we've seen both Haruka and Tarou get a good amount of outfit changes. In other seasons, they either have team uniforms or wear the exact same outfit or the same outfit with some modifications or very less outfit changes throughout the season.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:41 pm Actually, is he an alien? He did appear out of nowhere right?
Not sure about the alien part. But according to what we saw in episode 1, he came from a dimensional rift. So most likely he is just from a different dimension/world (one of the parallel worlds made by the Kamisama from Zenkaiger).
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:41 pm
Blue, are you here to explain everything?
That's kinda the whole purpose of the character....
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:41 pm
I want onigiri now
Lol, I also wanted to eat Onigiri after I watched this episode...
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:41 pm Pretty good episode characterwise. We learn more about Kijino. And we get some insight into Tarou. I actually felt kind of bad for him at multiple points, which is not something I would have expected given the overly cheerful facade that he puts up. Is that all fake? Makes you wonder
It's not all fake. I think he is mostly cheerful and tries to be peppy most of the time. That's why he helps people out, tries to link with people. That's why I think his job of a delivery person suits him a lot. However, when he goes overboard, a problem he has faced before, he doesn't know how to tackle it properly. It could be a problem with the writing. Like how someone previously pointed out, Tarou gave the chef constructive criticism but he didn't do the same for the employees. It could be that he was going too hard on those two, without someone else pointing it out to him that he has to treat them with kindness(not by lying, the way Tsuyoshi told him to) as well as strictness. He thinks that the truth is enough for them in this case which is certainly not true. I actually liked this part, because it shows that he also has stuff that he needs to work on. Maybe his perfectionist side is the reason why he never made any real friends. So now with the other Donbrothers, he will learn how to deal with these things and make some good friends. This will open Tarou up to a lot of possibilities.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

So, I run a Local Card Shop. Recently we had a spat towards the end of the night and when it was all over one of my regulars was talking to me and he's like dude you dont have to be so truthful about everything. Then i'm watching this episode this week and now i'm like -_- is this show about me now? BLEEEEEH!! Good Episode but mainly because it hits a little to close home. LOOK I'M NOT GONNA SAY THINGS JUST MAKE SOMEONE FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE, if you can't handle the truth you dont have to be around me. Which is what happened here..

I swear sentai.. jesus
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Has Haruka had more clothes changes so far than Flint had last season? It would be funny if Flint and Zox in this world are straight edge police.

Tarou is the worst hero character in a long time. If Tauro was a hero champion professional wrestler and an underdog fan favorite wrestler had been jumped by three burly bad guy wrestlers who were beating him up in the ring and throwing out referees who were trying to stop the carnage, then Tarou would make the save by playing his music and coming to the ring in full pageantry taking around five minutes while the bad guys continue the assault unworried. When he eventually reaches the ring the bad guys leave, but Tarou then beats up the underdog fan favorite for not being strong enough.

I guess there is no Kamen Rider Zi-O analogy for Pink, so I am thinking of him as Another Wakusaver Green. I wonder if they will have a story line where his company accuses him of losing money for the corporation?

Another Ora seems to be all that. I wonder if she beats up Another Heure a lot and Another Heure likes it?

How prevalent are the shapeshifting alien lizards in this world? When Haruka first put on her They Live sunglasses the town was crawling with them. Now there are none in sight. Do they have signs up around town that normal people cannot see with Haruka's face on it warning to stay away from Haruka? And, if they do, who put them up since the ones who saw Haruka's glasses in action have presumably all been killed.

If the MOTW are normal people who have been polluted by evil spirits latching on to their desires, does this make the World Jackers the equivalent of Makai Knights? Is Tarou the equivalent of Jinga in "Kami no Kiba: Jinga"? If Tarou removes the Horrors from 100 people who have had Inga without killing the hosts will Tarou turn into an evil serial killer?

Was the Blue/Yellow training scene an answer to the similar scene in Dinnovater?
CaptainTalon449
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Quote: "This is our stage" -Kazuraba Kouta
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by CaptainTalon449 »

The biggest thing about this episode is that there is a method to the madness behind everything that Taro does whether it be in or out of suit.

The moment Professor brought up the fact that Taro might be testing or preparing the rest of the team by attacking them in both the beginning cements this theory. If you recall the first episode said "these companions need a lot of babysitting" when he turned into Zenkaiser
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Aeikozz wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:33 am -_- is this show about me now? BLEEEEEH!!
Haha, I guess it's a sign of a good show if it leaves you thinking about it afterward. Doubly so if it's aimed at a children's audience

Props to Yaiba for noticing this: Officer Asada, who chases Inuzuka, is played by Kiji Brother suit actor Takada Masashi.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

this is definitely a fun show so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

re: Tarou possibly being an alien: since we know he showed up in that peach basket (that looks like his Don Momo Alter form before it unfolds into person mode), we know he's not normal, at least. so my two guesses with as little info as we have: he's either 1) some kind of celestial, Princess Kaguya style, and we either get a Kaguya-hime 6th ranger later or just mix elements of that story in with his, or 2) it'll turn out the three transforming non-MotW bad guys we've seen so far are some non-human species, and he'll turn out to be a member of whatever that species is.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:45 pm 2) it'll turn out the three transforming non-MotW bad guys we've seen so far are some non-human species, and he'll turn out to be a member of whatever that species is.
That's a very Kamen Rider-like twist for sure
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:45 pm the three transforming non-MotW bad guys we've seen so far are some non-human species
The 3 villain generals are a non-human species.... :| :| They're "The Nōto" :
https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/donbro/chara ... 3%E4%BA%BA
Last edited by Thenosa Yechette on Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:37 am
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:45 pm the three transforming non-MotW bad guys we've seen so far are some non-human species :| :|
The 3 villain generals are a non-human species.... They're "The Nōto" :
https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/donbro/chara ... 3%E4%BA%BA
ah. hadn't heard that yet, so all I had to go on was "they look human and DON'T look like the weird mook dudes when the Don Bros are wearing their glasses, so they're either weird humans or not human at all, and the show will clarify eventually."

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”