DonBrothers 05 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:01 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
63%
☆☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆☆
38%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 05 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.71 of 5 stars (14 votes)

Just going off the opening, but I hate how Inu Brother has no weight to any of his actions

Haruka, did no one teach you about stranger danger?

Kijino needing to use the toilet is a move that even Don didn't make, I think

Well, this is a unique way for a sentai to come together. It really highlights each of their unique personalities

The monster of the week has a cool head. Love the dog mask and hat

Oh no, the bad guys killed Mona Lisa?

Wait, is that the ending? It doesn't feel like the group totally came together yet

Anyway, love that these characters are all likeable, but also got their character flaws

Edit: While it's not dark within the show itself, Detective Sayama Kenji is named after the Sayama incident in which the cops might have forced a minority to confess to a brutal murder in Japan during the 60s

Umm... Is Natsumi and Miho the asme person?
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: DonBrothers 05 discussion thread

Post by Aeikozz »

Lmao, that's not the Mona Lisa, that's an NFT.

Again with Zenkai Medal turning into Donbro Medal. >_< it's going to drive me mad. there's like no logic at all how those things work.

I do think it's interesting that if the team didn't have that color then the person can't use it. That's going to create some unnecessary problems down the road.

This show is just great. I'm loving every single episode.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This was another weird episode, and I'd argue the most scatterbrained yet. But like the rest, it somehow manages to pull itself together and make for an entertaining production, so I can't exactly complain. Still, we're over 10% through the series at this point; the show needs to start working on weaving some of its main plot threads, as quirky hijinks will only be able to carry things so far.

I'm finding myself a little frustrated by this episode for giving us a Black-focused episode, and yet not really divulging anything about the character's background. With so few things answered 5 episodes in, not even knowing what Black has been framed for is less a cool mystery and more of a burden in a show already overburdened with questions. It damn well better be an epic mystery to justify dragging it out like this.

In the interim, we at least get an idea of what kind of a person Black is. IIRC, he's already claimed he's innocent in previous episodes, so that much isn't really new. But now we get to see that he does in fact possess heroic and honest traits, as opposed to being a villain or anti-hero. The bit about saving the receipt was a really nice touch in that regard, since it's such a subtle thing at the start.

Meanwhile, our MOTW is the Patranger monster. This actually threw me for a bit a loop due to the dog face; Patranger doesn't have any dogs in its iconography since it's a purely tech/vehicle based season. Dogs are more of a Dekaranger thing, and consequently I was expecting this to be the Deka monster. It's a fairly minor nitpick, but this is the first monster that doesn't feel like it matches the season it's designed after.

And on that note, it wasn't until I saw the front page this week that it clicked in my head that Toei had been recycling MOTW suits. Every MOTW is a customization layer on top of the base red/purple suit. I guess this is how Toei is saving on suit costs this year? Credit where credit is due, at least, since they've kept things different enough that it wasn't obvious from the start.

This also marks the first week where the Dons don't transform into members of the team whose gear they received the previously week - in this case, OhRanger. Given that we're only 5 episodes in this may be a bit of a premature prediction, but it does have me seriously wondering if they're only going to transform into (or at least primarily focus on) post-Gokai teams. It's something of an arbitrary line, but I could see Toei wanting to avoid doing things Gokaiger already did better. In the meantime, the production crew really seems to love Ryusoulger.

On a tangent to that, I've finally figured out something that's been mildly bugging me since the series started: the DonBrothers' transformation sequence is boring. To be sure, it's all very flashy in the grandest of Toei traditions. But something about it is just completely and utterly unexciting. Half of what makes Henshin Heroes as a genre so much fun is that the characters get these dramatic, awe-inspiring transformation sequences where they power up into becoming a badass. But I get none of that from DonBrothers. And that's a double-whammy since most episodes we two transformations - the initial one, and then the transformation to a legacy team. Even the Zenkaiger transformation sequence was more exciting!

Finally, I noticed that they're already recycling robo fight footage. And I don't mean stock footage like the finisher attack, where that makes sense. Instead they're recycling shots of things like the robo taking off into the air. It's another nitpicky thing, but this is only the second fight with a suited monster! And on that note, why did this MOTW go big when last week's didn't?
takenoko wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:01 pm Just going off the opening, but I hate how Inu Brother has no weight to any of his actions
I'm really starting to wonder if the whole reason we're suffering through this terrible CGI is because someone at Toei went "Hey, why bother with a proper suited character when these guys will be changing into legacy teams most of the time to begin with?". The avatar changes, as boring as they are in terms of execution, are keeping the amount of time we actually see the CGI abominations to a minimum.
Haruka, did no one teach you about stranger danger?
Apparently she's the type that likes stranger danger?! :shock:
Oh no, the bad guys killed Mona Lisa?
I caught that as well. What do the Noto have against the Mona Lisa?!
Wait, is that the ending? It doesn't feel like the group totally came together yet
Agreed. I had expected that by the end of this episode all 5 would know the civilian identities of the other DonBros. Instead, this episode essentially leaves things at status quo, with only Yellow/Blue/Red in the loop. Poor Pink...
Umm... Is Natsumi and Miho the asme person?
Those two discussions were far too close together to be coincidental. This may very well be the point where Inoue goes full Inoue.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:43 am I'm finding myself a little frustrated by this episode for giving us a Black-focused episode, and yet not really divulging anything about the character's background. With so few things answered 5 episodes in, not even knowing what Black has been framed for is less a cool mystery and more of a burden in a show already overburdened with questions. It damn well better be an epic mystery to justify dragging it out like this.
While we don't know what exact crime that Black was framed for, the previous episode gave us an idea that he was killing the mooks disguised as people which everyone thinks he's killing humans.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

So Haruka can't use Ryusoulger because there's no Yellow, confirming once and for all that Gokai Changes are better.

But...that means we can never have a full team change, because they can't use any Greens. The only show post-Gokaiger where everyone has a colour counterpart is Kyuranger.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Meanwhile, our MOTW is the Patranger monster. This actually threw me for a bit a loop due to the dog face; Patranger doesn't have any dogs in its iconography since it's a purely tech/vehicle based season. Dogs are more of a Dekaranger thing, and consequently I was expecting this to be the Deka monster. It's a fairly minor nitpick, but this is the first monster that doesn't feel like it matches the season it's designed after.

I was wondering if they did this because it's Inu Brother's episode. In any case, I thought the bulldog design was cool looking
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 am >Meanwhile, our MOTW is the Patranger monster. This actually threw me for a bit a loop due to the dog face; Patranger doesn't have any dogs in its iconography since it's a purely tech/vehicle based season. Dogs are more of a Dekaranger thing, and consequently I was expecting this to be the Deka monster. It's a fairly minor nitpick, but this is the first monster that doesn't feel like it matches the season it's designed after.

I was wondering if they did this because it's Inu Brother's episode. In any case, I thought the bulldog design was cool looking
I assume so. Next week it's a Kiji Brother episode and the monster is Doubutsuki, so I guess the link there is Yamato's flying ability?
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:07 am So Haruka can't use Ryusoulger because there's no Yellow, confirming once and for all that Gokai Changes are better.

But...that means we can never have a full team change, because they can't use any Greens. The only show post-Gokaiger where everyone has a colour counterpart is Kyuranger.
Also, no single color changes for the whole team. Maybe this means there will be more mixed combinations of ranger powers from different teams, which Gokaiger didn't do very much.

Of course, they may not have this restriction later or find some sort of workaround.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Gokider wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:50 am
HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:07 am So Haruka can't use Ryusoulger because there's no Yellow, confirming once and for all that Gokai Changes are better.

Also, no single color changes for the whole team. Maybe this means there will be more mixed combinations of ranger powers from different teams, which Gokaiger didn't do very much.

Of course, they may not have this restriction later or find some sort of workaround.
And then there'll be the 6th Ranger who presumably will just turn into the 6th Ranger of the team. Can't wait for them to add more fuel to the fire of the Kyuranger debate. Especially since Zenkaiger seemed to suggest it was actually Koguma Sky Blue.
Seen:
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Phoenix512 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:30 am While we don't know what exact crime that Black was framed for, the previous episode gave us an idea that he was killing the mooks disguised as people which everyone thinks he's killing humans.
While this is true, I suspect that killing mooks is not the crime that he's wanted for. Otherwise there wouldn't be nearly so much drama around it - or reason to hide it.
takenoko wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 am I was wondering if they did this because it's Inu Brother's episode. In any case, I thought the bulldog design was cool looking
That's probably it, now that you mention it. A dog for a dog. All the more reason they should have used Deka, then. I can only assume this is one of those cases where the needs of the toyline are being prioritized.

And yeah, it is a cool design.
HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:41 am Can't wait for them to add more fuel to the fire of the Kyuranger debate. Especially since Zenkaiger seemed to suggest it was actually Koguma Sky Blue.
Kyu's 6th Ranger is Houou Soldier. Sky Blue isn't even in the running: he didn't come with his own robo.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:43 am
HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:41 am Can't wait for them to add more fuel to the fire of the Kyuranger debate. Especially since Zenkaiger seemed to suggest it was actually Koguma Sky Blue.
Kyu's 6th Ranger is Houou Soldier. Sky Blue isn't even in the running: he didn't come with his own robo.
Except many people, including Toei, insist it's Ryu Commander. And when Twokaiser used the Kyuranger Gear it summoned Koguma Sky Blue.
Seen:
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

So now the five have been in the same room together. Now the question is when will the five henshin together...
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:43 am
While this is true, I suspect that killing mooks is not the crime that he's wanted for. Otherwise there wouldn't be nearly so much drama around it - or reason to hide it.
[/quote]

If someone is going around and killing "people", it's a big deal. I think the police are actual humans for the most part and them going after Black is a real thing. Again, the normal humans don't know that the "people" that Black was killing aren't human so the police are going to go after a serial killer of humans. So yeah, if murdering people isn't drama heavy for you then I don't know what is.
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Decided to jump on, out-of-context as that may put me.

I liked the comedy between Haruka, Tsubasa and Tsuyoshi; I've heard that putting dark characters in goofy situations can be key to good comedy (and vice versa for darker shows), and seeing InuBrother being arguably the real hostage in the room was fun. Speaking of whom, though... I know it doesn't need to be said, and maybe some of Tsuburaya's CGI spoiled me, but InuBrother is scary. I admit, I was wondering how they'd have the budget to have at least part-CG rangers for a full year.

I liked what I saw of the rest of the cast. I'm getting the impression that this is a slow-burn series if it took this long for them to all be together (in human form, anyway), and that can be interesting to see.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Aeikozz wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:21 pm I do think it's interesting that if the team didn't have that color then the person can't use it. That's going to create some unnecessary problems down the road.
It kind of already did- DonMomotaro transformed into Zenkaizer before
That is unless they somehow mention that DonMomotaro, being the leader (bleh), can use any of the rangers and not just the reds
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”