DonBrothers 14 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:00 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆☆
64%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 11
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 14 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.6 of 5 stars (10 votes)

Huh, did the DonBros know before this point that Jin had raised Tarou?

Well, at least the bus tour lady might be alive

It's interesting that the Nouto are saying the Jyuto can't be killed. I've never even heard the term they use for that before

I don't know if Jirou is a joke, but he's pretty good looking

Throwing a rock at Sonoza is pretty funny

Oh, Tsubasa running into Miho sooner than expected

Why are they being so mean to Jirou. He's like nice compared to Tarou. Is this some weird Stockholm syndrome?

Haruka's Kibi-points are pretty well recovered considering she emptied her bank a few episodes back. By contrast, the others have barely made progress. Actually, let me go check. So at the end of Don 10 they are:
Kiji 18, Inu 24, Saru 26
This episode:
Kiji 25, Oni 19, Inu 29, and Saru 38

Oh shit, dark phoenix, I mean dark Kiji is back. I feel like the continuity in this series has been pretty good? There's been at least 2-3 callbacks to previous episodes already

Why did it have to be shogi? I'd rather have a villain based on go

Oh, a mecha fight on the move. Gotta appreciate attempts to spice things up

Oh, Tarou is back

Oh, guess not

Oh, Tsubasa is next week's monster of the week? That's... pretty cool. Has that been a thing before?

I kind of want to give this one a 5. I'm pretty satisfied with how it keeps all the plates spinning, and I genuinely don't know what the fuck is going on, but not in a frustrating way... yet
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: DonBrothers 14 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

this show keeps proving to be really entertaining every week.

wish we'd had a little more time with Jirou than we got, since it barely feels like he did anything here, but that can be fixed next week.

this show does a fairly decent job of doing a lot at once in a way that doesn't feel like it's doing nothing. like, we're 14 episodes in, about to get the SIXTH ranger (seventh technically, but Zenkaiser's not a proper team member), and the main FIVE still don't even know the full team roster yet, despite technically actually knowing everyone on the team.

and I love how the show plays around with stuff. Red is indisputably the team leader, but he's not our primary focus character. one of our teammates is about to be a MotW. it all just feels really fresh.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

We have now reached the point of 2001 being worthy of the old-timey filter.

I'm guessing they had enough Kibi Points to temporarily bring him back for one fight, but not any more. Honestly, Kaito could help more in fights. I assume it's because Kiita is still busy with the Zenkaiger Final Live Tour.

Prediction: Tarou and Jirou are gonna turn out to be brothers.
Spoiler
After Oto, Mabushina and Flint all in a row, it's nice to get a 6th Ranger without a little sister. I agree he didn't get much time to shine, and it's a shame next week he seems to be getting overshadowed AGAIN by Tarou's return.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Commercials

Post by takenoko »

This week there's a new junction and a short clip of the Don Brothers messing around with the toy
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:00 pm I kind of want to give this one a 5. I'm pretty satisfied with how it keeps all the plates spinning, and I genuinely don't know what the fuck is going on, but not in a frustrating way... yet
This is something I've been struggling with as well. The writing keeps teasing that it will be worth it in the end, but there haven't been any assurances that things won't go off the rails.

It feels like all of the Donbrothers are plucked from different drama genres. Tarou is from an historical drama. Haruka is from a slice-of-life high school drama. Tsubasa is from a crime/action drama. Tsuyoshi is from a romance drama. Shinichi is from one of those dramas that features a Japanese art form, like haiku. Jirou's backstory has all the trapping of fish-out-of-water drama about a country boy trying to make his dreams come true in the big city.
Last edited by Arigomi on Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Arigomi wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:49 pm It feels like all of the Donbrothers are plucked from different drama genres.
That's a pretty astute observation. I wonder if Inoue is feeling experimental with this series? When writing as long as he has, I'm sure there's some interesting meta stuff going on by having genres clash and non-standard storytelling going on

I don't know if this show will cash the cheques it's sending out, but it's a pretty good ride while I'm on it. And hopefully Inoue doesn't do a JJ Abrams thing and have it just be a mystery box with no answers in the end
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Good episode. Introduces us to the sixth but still doesn't go too much into it. And I feel really sad that everyone is mean to Jitou, even the people from his village. And of course the Donbrothers are mean to him too. I get that he still doesn't know what he's doing(without his Donbrothers gear), and that they're mourning the loss of Tarou, but they should have been at least a little nicer to him. Oh, and Jirou also taught Sonoza when to laugh, so that's a plus point at least.

Glad to see the palanquin is back along with Tarou. It's always entertaining. :lol: :)

Didn't expect one of the Donbrothers to turn into a Hitotsuki so that is very interesting. This means that every Donbrothers team member can possibly turn into a monster. That opens up a lot of possiblities.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:00 pm Haruka's Kibi-points are pretty well recovered considering she emptied her bank a few episodes back. By contrast, the others have barely made progress.
This is probably because Haruka is the most helpful one out of Tarou's companions. Kibi points have something to do with helping Tarou, and in that case Haruka helps out Tarou the most, as seen in episode 9 and other times. She is also the most loyal to Tarou. So that's probably why I think her Kibi points always increase fast.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:00 pm Oh, Tsubasa is next week's monster of the week? That's... pretty cool. Has that been a thing before?
KijiBrother's name is 'Tsuyoshi' and Inubrother's name is 'Tsubasa'... :| :| And yeah, as far as I've seen, the Sentai members have never been MOTWs before.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:00 pm I genuinely don't know what the fuck is going on, but not in a frustrating way... yet
And that's really the crux of the matter. I have no idea what's going on, and for all I know it's all utter nonsense. But in that case it's certainly entertaining nonsense; whatever is going on, I want to see what happens next.

One of the things that makes this series stand out is that there are so many plot threads in flight at once. Whereas a regular Sentai series may deal with one or two big items in an episode and leave everything else on the backburner, DonBrothers tends to slowly advance several plot threads at once. We have everything from Tarou's origins to the Jyuto in this episode, and another thread has been added with the new guy. It's a massive departure from Sentai, and even KR (which DonBrothers is clearly borrowing from) was a little more focused with its arcs.

But all of this means that Inoue really does need to stick the landing here. Unlike a more episodic Sentai series, there isn't nearly as much room for bad episodes. And if any of the major plot threads end up with a poor ending, it's going to weigh down the rest due to how closely they're tied together. At the rate things are going, it sure seems like the writing for this series is an all-or-nothing proposition.

I do wish the action scenes were a bit better, though. Nothing is terrible, but nothing is impressive. The MOTW fights were both quite short and simple. And even the robo fight was barely a minute long. Having the antagonists detached from the MOTWs means that they're vying for screen time, rather than augmenting each other.
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:40 pm and the main FIVE still don't even know the full team roster yet, despite technically actually knowing everyone on the team.
That's a good point. We're now into Q2, and the team still isn't entirely together. It's an interesting dynamic, but it can only go on for so long. Though I will say I'm surprised that in the end it's Black that doesn't know the rest of the team. Early on we thought it was going to be Haruka that would be left in the dark.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Inoue does like his characters not knowing who each other are. That's why it was a surprise for Tsubasa to run into Natsumi/Miho this early. What's he going to do with this information? Tell his DonBrother companions that he saw his wife but had to run away from the cops?

This also means Inoue can pull the trigger on Tsubasa and Kijino fighting with each other at any point. Maybe he'll save it for when there's a slow moment in the series
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

A thought occurred to me today: one of the hallmarks of a Mary Sue/Gary Stu character (besides being the best at everything and being universally liked) is that they die a tragic early death in the fan fic. So, is this is Momoi fulfilling his Gary Stu destiny?

This episode seemed to be a Nouto - Kami no Kimi - Momoi Taro centered episode, although there were other threads going on. Nouto Knight Sonoi feels regret for having used dirty tactics to defeat his yaoi OTP, but his Nouto Priests Sononi and Sonoza assure him that it was all good in the hood. We also get the entrance story of Nouto Knight Jirou (Momoi's brother) who is either a man driven by destiny or a sufferer of schizophrenia who is suffering from fixed delusions and command hallucinations. Unfortunately for Jirou (but fortunately for the story) the state of mental health awareness in rural Japan is poor and everyone from his hometown thinks that Jirou is a chunibyo (someone who thinks they are a superhero when they are a little kid (which is normal) but does not grow out of the thought by eighth grade (which is not normal)). Jirou tries to help out Momoi's retainers but gets laughed at and dissed by Sonoi and his priests. Then he gets dissed by Momoi's retainers. Then Kamen Rider Ghost, oops, I mean Momoi, returns to save the day only to disappear after the battle. We also have another encounter Sonoi and the Jyuto. Sonoi is able to cut up the Jyuto's origami which hurts the Jyuto's feeling and causes it to run away. You would think that Sonoi not being able to kill the Jyuto would make him want to form an alliance with the retainers as opposed to killing them, but Sonoi's situational awareness might be lacking.

As for Doki Doki Love Love Super Mangaka, Haruka and her bishounen harem try desperately to bring Momoi back but keep being told that it cannot be done, so they decide to use their in game currency to try to bring him back. Also, the Jyuto waifu has an encounter with pupper but winds up in the hospital. This pushes Pink toward becoming a MOTW himself. This is dangerous since he is the least good looking of the bishounen harem and has already caused one of the people who turned into an MOTV to not be saved. We also find out that even with the recent power up for the bishounen harem, they are still way under powered compared to the MOTW or to the Nouto. They need to start using "named combination attacks" that could at least cost the MOTW a couple of hit points because right now they are not causing any damage at all.

As for Kamen Rider Zen-O, we get the first indication that barista snake is not omnipotent when he is not able to pull a plot device out of his hindquarters and resurrect Momoi on command.
Rider Cure Man
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
Favorite Band: Sub-Radio
My boom: Resident Evil
Quote: "Now, Count Your Sins"

Post by Rider Cure Man »

At this point I think the whole ''transform into past rangers'' thing. Was something Inoue said to Toei to justify bringing back Kaito. Because right now we still have no idea how Donbro links to Zenkaiger
''Please return that button to God'' - Keisuke Nago
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Rider Cure Man wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:20 am At this point I think the whole ''transform into past rangers'' thing. Was something Inoue said to Toei to justify bringing back Kaito. Because right now we still have no idea how Donbro links to Zenkaiger
They mostly seem to have forgotten about that gimmick though. It's been forgotten even quicker than ToQger's Norikae Changes.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:46 am
Rider Cure Man wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:20 am At this point I think the whole ''transform into past rangers'' thing. Was something Inoue said to Toei to justify bringing back Kaito. Because right now we still have no idea how Donbro links to Zenkaiger
They mostly seem to have forgotten about that gimmick though. It's been forgotten even quicker than ToQger's Norikae Changes.
I was just thinking that during last week's episode. They haven't changed into a past ranger since what, episode 8? It leaves me thinking that the whole thing was just to have a filler gimmick until the robotaru forms were added.

At this point I'm expecting few (if any) more changes. And certainly nothing older than Gokaiger. If they were going to do Ohranger and the like, they'd have done so by now.

And on the plus side of things, we haven't had to sit through any more of those awful Alter forms since then, either.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:19 pm
HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:46 am

I was just thinking that during last week's episode. They haven't changed into a past ranger since what, episode 8? It leaves me thinking that the whole thing was just to have a filler gimmick until the robotaru forms were added.

At this point I'm expecting few (if any) more changes. And certainly nothing older than Gokaiger. If they were going to do Ohranger and the like, they'd have done so by now.

And on the plus side of things, we haven't had to sit through any more of those awful Alter forms since then, either.
There definitely won't be anything pre-Gokaiger. Marketing has been focused on those shows, and the Don Blaster toy does more generic sounds for Goranger - Goseiger. Maybe the lack of focus on them is why they didn't bother doing gender-swapped suits, since they knew they'd barely use them.

Zenkaiger and Donbrothers have been so weird. Zenkaiger was promoted as an anniversary show but aside from the team's aesthetics, it wasn't. Then Donbrothers comes along and seems at first to be what we'd been hoping for, with a focus on Gokaiger onwards, since obviously everything before that got the spotlight in 2011. But Donbrothers doesn't even really acknowledge the other teams, the Avatar Changes, in the rare times they turn up, are basically treated like any other form change. Donbrothers is even less of an anniversary show than the already-questionable Zenkaiger.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Donbrothers. But I can't help but feel somewhat lied to.
Seen:
somerin
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Koike Yui
Favorite Actor?: Ozawa Ryota
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Let's make this showy!