DonBrothers 16 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:58 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
55%
☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆
9%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 11
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 16 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.16 of 5 stars (12 votes)

The opening's getting crowded with a sixth ranger

What? Is that a real Inu Brother?

Nice use of gun and sword Momotarou

Nice, good to see that Momo's ressurecction isn't just going to get swept over

What an interesting structure to have a conversation under

If the DonBrothers lose their glasses they lose their transformation that easily?

Nice kicks, Momotarou

oh, Dragoku has an interesing power set. But it only relies on stealing other's glasses?

Oh, Haruka took care of things so easily. This series never fails to surprise

God Jirou with his tiny toy halberd

Oh, I was wondering what that ugly robot was. So that's Dragoku's alter form. Again, one of the weak points of this series

Huh, so the ZyuRanger became a different ranger in Dragoku's hands

Another episode where they try to balance several plates at once. But at least for me, it works? Even if small, there is story progression and growth (unlike Revice which seems to keep you in the question box forever). Tarou and Sonoi talk, even if briefly. Dragon boy noticed that Kijino is upset about something and Kijino opens up about his anxiety to his wife and surprise, actually gets some comfort from it. Getting unmonstrofied didn't solve those issues, but talking about it with his teammates and his wife did. That's good storytelling
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: DonBrothers 16 discussion thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

When Mrs Kijino offered to comfort her husband I was worried this was going to get a tad inappropriate for Sunday morning.

Immediately after watching this episode I took a nap, where I dreamt I was allowed to watch an episode be filmed, where I recorded the entire thing and posted it online. Just thought I'd mention that.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Get us the inside scoop

I miss in the past when people in Japan would post them randonmly seeing toei filming in a public place. I'm sure it still happens, but I'm not on twitter or the tiktoks
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:06 pm Get us the inside scoop

I miss in the past when people in Japan would post them randonmly seeing toei filming in a public place. I'm sure it still happens, but I'm not on twitter or the tiktoks
remember when news about someone getting a new form/power up was someone posting a blurry, barely identifiable picture online and assuring us it was 100% real, even though a lot of the time it turned out not to be, rather than "hey, so here's the next 3 months' worth of content because we got the toy magazine in early."
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

And then came "you're not supposed to know about Trinity"
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:50 pm
takenoko wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:06 pm Get us the inside scoop

remember when news about someone getting a new form/power up was someone posting a blurry, barely identifiable picture online and assuring us it was 100% real, even though a lot of the time it turned out not to be, rather than "hey, so here's the next 3 months' worth of content because we got the toy magazine in early."
Ha, yeah. Now Toei just spoils itself months in advance with super hero time and junction and ocmmercials
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I remember the first we knew of the Gokaigers being in Zyuohger was the fact that Marvelous was spotted filming.

Before the Ryusoulger cast were announced they were spotted out filming, and I think people managed to identify one of them.

Kyoryuger/Dino Force Brave was spotted filming months before announcement (it was shot in Japan), and people speculated those altered Kyoryuger suits were for an Akibaranger Season 3. If only...
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Kyoryuger/Dino Force Brave was spotted filming months before announcement (it was shot in Japan), and people speculated those altered Kyoryuger suits were for an Akibaranger Season 3. If only...

I'm still surprised that got made. Was it a Power Rangers situation where the action was filmed in Japan while the story was filmed in Korea?
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This episode was dominated by the Doki Doki Love Love Super Mangaka show to good effect. We had (fallen) Nouto Knight Jirou try to fit in with the Haruka Bishounen Super Hero Club with comically horrible results as he tries to use imitation to be friends with the other Bishonen Super Heroes and Haruka. Unfortunately, besides being a chuunibyo (someone who does not grow out of childhood superhero delusions by eight grade), Jirou is also a KY (someone who cannot read the room). The bad results cause Jirou to have a psychotic episode where he attacks the other members and steals their powers. Haruka slaps him which brings him back to normal.

We only have two scenes for Nouto - Kami no Kiba - Momoi Taro. In the first scene the yaoi story line between Nouto Knights Momoi and Sonoi is advanced where Momoi exploits Sonoi's weakness (his desire to kill Momoi in a fair fight) by transforming back at the beginning of their fight. We also had Jyuto Waifu Miho show a new Jyuto power by "curing" Tsuyoshi of his impure ambition by using a cute magic Jyuto spell.

Nothing much happened for Kamen Rider Zen-O.

So, while they make something more of Jirou's unstable personality?

Are all of the Jyuto females super cute and all of the Jyuto males rugged and macho? For super villains the Jyuto seem really laid back. They fold origami, eat meat, and cast cute magic spells. What's not to like? Are they more mischievous than evil?

Haruka hasn't had much luck with finding normal members for the Haruka Bishounen Super Hero Club. Momoi is an ice cold tsundere who only warms up for Sonoi, Tsuyoshi is a wimpsicle, Shinichi is a slacker hippie, Jirou is dangerously psychotic, and Kaito has a PHD in being suspicious. On the other hand, this is on brand for a shoujo manga since Haruka can use the power of her pure heart to help the Bishounen resolve their tragic backstories.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:05 am >Kyoryuger/Dino Force Brave was spotted filming months before announcement (it was shot in Japan), and people speculated those altered Kyoryuger suits were for an Akibaranger Season 3. If only...

I'm still surprised that got made. Was it a Power Rangers situation where the action was filmed in Japan while the story was filmed in Korea?
I'm pretty sure 100% of it was shot in Japan. There were quite a few common Toei filming locations. I know the ending dance was the exact same place as the one from Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters, so the case definitely came to Japan.

It was such a good idea but poorly executed. 13 episodes, each was like 12 mins after you take out the opening and ending. Meaning it was just fights with the occasional bit of acting.
Seen:
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

So, since characters just do not talk to each other as per Inoue's tradition, Toei posted a chart of who know who's identity as of Ep 16.

O = Know each other's alter ego
▲ = Met, but don't know alter ego
? = Never met

XY Axis: Tarou / Shinichi / Haruka / Tsubasa / Tsuyoshi / Jirou / Sonoi / Sononi / Sonoza

Source: https://www.toei.co.jp/tv/donbrothers/s ... _3246.html
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

5 stars. Tarou finally gets some proper character development.

Am I the only one who thinks that Jirou is just another version of Haruka just because he says he'll do anything for Tarou...?

Jirou has one more thing in common with Noël, besides being both gold and silver- they both threw their own welcome party. Lol. Or is that a new 6th Ranger tradition now?

I'm all up for new traditions and ideas, but adding the dance to the opening has many cons to it. One of them being adding the 6th into the dance and adjusting the opening to include him. And this time it's way worse than Zenkaiger. I get that filming the dance including Jirou all over again is not affordable for them, but Jirou hanging upside down from the ceiling is looking simply TERRIBLE. 😐😑😒
And as much as I can see from the opening, Jirou's silver ranger- the tiger form is basically the suit with a different helmet and armor, with silver design. But the spandex suit remains the same golden color. That's a disappointment. I was hoping it would be like Patran X and Lupin X and have 2 completely different colors at least. But this one is just too sad... I guess that's all the budget they have for the 6th's suit this time. I think I'd be ok with him being CGI ranger if they at least made him 2 different colored suits for his 2 forms.

Why is Jirou wearing all the other clothes ON TOP of his Fire Dragon Hero outfit? He could've at least changed out of that outfit to wear other clothes. His outfit already looked ridiculous. And wearing the other clothes ON TOP of that outfit makes him look like a hilarious anime character (no offense intended to anime characters).

Jirou sure gave Tsuyoshi an extreme suggestion. No wonder he got annoyed... But they should really do something about his obsession with Miho. I get how important Miho is to him but it often gets pretty dark and out of hand. Although, considering Tsubasa is kinda the same, I think they should give them both something else to focus on other than the girl they love.

Nice Shuriken weapon for Inu Brother. But where did it come from suddenly? Same for Oni Sister's club. If they didn't have them from the beginning, where did they get their personal weapons from in the middle of the story?

Oh boy. Looks like someone robbed away the dog's dignity. 😅😅

Wow. I see one more thing from LvP here. That thing Tsuyoshi has hanging on his wall behind him at 12:20 with the bicycle quote is the same thing I saw hanging on Sakuya's living room wall in the episode where he was suspended from work. Do they reuse room decorations from previous seasons in Sentai often?

I don't like Tsuyoshi's obsession with Miho, but I admit the scene of Miho encouraging him is kinda sweet.

They are trying way too hard to keep Tsubasa's identity a secret. We didn't even see him return to his human form like the others when Jirou stole his glasses.

Of course Haruka had to slap Jirou right when he was about to use her powers. She can't stand to see anyone taking her place as Oni Sister. And also because they don't wanna make a male suit for- Oni Brother(?!). Although considering the way they dealt with the female suits for Kijino, I guess the Oni Sister/Brother's suit would have a skirt even if Jirou uses those powers. And counting Jirou, it's the 2nd time Haruka has slapped a fellow Ranger. Now I want to see every male Donbrother being slapped by Haruka, most of all, Tarou, cuz he deserves it most of the time. I wish she had slapped (or even better, kicked) Tarou last episode for yelling at her (or the time when he insulted her cooking), but... Oh, well. Still, I haven't given up on the possibility of her slapping every one of her remaining teammates, lol.

Tarou is finally warming up to his team. This is sweet.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>but Jirou hanging upside down from the ceiling is looking simply TERRIBLE. 😐😑😒

I actually laughed pretty hard when that happened

>Why is Jirou wearing all the other clothes ON TOP of his Fire Dragon Hero outfit?

Also why is he Dragoku when he was calling himself Fire Dragon Hero before?

>Nice Shuriken weapon for Inu Brother. But where did it come from suddenly? Same for Oni Sister's club. If they didn't have them from the beginning, where did they get their personal weapons from in the middle of the story?

Toei assassins are on their way

Wow. I see one more thing from LvP here. That thing Tsuyoshi has hanging on his wall behind him at 12:20 with the bicycle quote is the same thing I saw hanging on Sakuya's living room wall in the episode where he was suspended from work. Do they reuse room decorations from previous seasons in Sentai often?

Wow, that's a pretty good memory that you have

>Oh, well. Still, I haven't given up on the possibility of her slapping every one of her remaining teammates, lol.

It'd only be fair play

>Tarou is finally warming up to his team. This is sweet.

They killed Tarou to fix his character lol
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

After last week's episode kind of stumbling, it was nice to see DonBrothers get back into form this week.

First and foremost, I'm glad Tsuyoshi's turn to the dark side was properly addressed in this episode. Since it wasn't addressed previously (be it for story or time reasons0, I was afraid it would just get entirely ignored. Granted, it's basically immediately forgiven by the other bros, but I can work with that since it sets up that nice little bit with Miho later on. (Plus, what else could they even do to the guy?)

Meanwhile, as Takenoko has already noted, I'm glad they aren't glossing over the fact that Sonoi helped in his revival as well. "I don't want to answer" is admittedly not much of an answer.:lol: But the important part is the question was asked, directly, rather than danced around for 4 episodes of melodrama.

And while it's nice to see Tarou finally coming around and learning how to compliment his companions, I'm still struggling with it a bit. While he was defeated for seemingly the first time in his life, what transpired was not something that comes off as a life-changing event. It's clear that losing and getting rescued is meant to be the catalyst, but it's missing something to help sell the idea. (Maybe some kind of internal reflection)

Then we have the 6th ranger. He finally gets a proper solo fight, and while it's not as flashy as the usual intro fights for 6th rangers, I do appreciate that this episode found the time to do some longer fight scenes. DonBros has been noticeably light on fight footage (especially the high-octane, highly-choreographed kind), so following the big introduction and revelations in the previous episode, it's a nice change of pace to just fight some more. Of course, that ends up being a monkey's paw kind of wish, since he goes after most of the other Bros...

It certainly sets up an interesting dynamic here. If a 6th ranger is evil, normally it's right at the start, after which they have a heel-face-turn and become good. Or at the very least they're some kind of brooding, loner anti-hero. Having the 6th hang out with the rest of the team and yet still operating with the risk of snapping is very different. But when the time comes, the show will need to deliver a good explanation to convincingly justify why this is going on.

Finally, we have our Zyuranger MOTW. The theming with respect to the episode is certainly very appropriate - Zyu of course was the first series with a regular 6th, and it's fitting that a dinosaur MOTW is beaten by the temporarily evil Dragon Ranger. It's basic Sentai history, but if Toei is going to pretend this is some kind of anniversary season, this is the kind of stuff they need to be doing. However I'm not entirely sure how the design of the MOTW relates to Zyuranger, or for that matter how "clearing" things ties into the series.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:58 pm Oh, I was wondering what that ugly robot was. So that's Dragoku's alter form. Again, one of the weak points of this series
Man, I really thought we were done with the Alters, too.:( This undoubtedly means several more episodes of them, since he'll have his own set of Alter forms.
Huh, so the ZyuRanger became a different ranger in Dragoku's hands
6th for a 6th. Though since the gears are essentially generic, there's seemingly no absolute reason why it needs to have Green on it instead of Red.
Lunagel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:50 pm And then came "you're not supposed to know about Trinity"
Wait, we're not supposed to know about Trinity? Is there some Zi-O factoid I missed out on?
HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:27 am
takenoko wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:05 am >Kyoryuger/Dino Force Brave was spotted filming months before announcement (it was shot in Japan), and people speculated those altered Kyoryuger suits were for an Akibaranger Season 3. If only...

I'm pretty sure 100% of it was shot in Japan. There were quite a few common Toei filming locations. I know the ending dance was the exact same place as the one from Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters, so the case definitely came to Japan.
Yup. Other than maybe some establishing shots, all of Brave's filming seemed to take place in Japan.
Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:03 pm Now I want to see every male Donbrother being slapped by Haruka, most of all, Tarou, cuz he deserves it most of the time.
Count me in! If this series doesn't have Hauka slapping all the rest at least once by the end, it will be a giant opportunity squandered! :lol:
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 pm Wow, that's a pretty good memory that you have
Lol, no. :lol: I only remember that because I watched LvP for the first time in 2020. So I remember more things from it than people who watched it back in 2018. Plus, I rewatched some clips and episodes from LvP frequently, and that episode in particular happened to be one of them. I also think it has something to do with the quote itself. It's a cool quote and memorable to me since it's strange for me to spot an interesting English quote in an episode of Sentai.
takenoko wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 pm They killed Tarou to fix his character lol
And it made more sense in this episode than the last one. In the last episode, it was handled poorly.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice