DonBrothers 16 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:58 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
55%
☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆
9%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 11
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: DonBrothers 16 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

>Meanwhile, as Takenoko has already noted, I'm glad they aren't glossing over the fact that Sonoi helped in his revival as well

It's just so rare. Any other series would just slide past it the following episode

>It's clear that losing and getting rescued is meant to be the catalyst, but it's missing something to help sell the idea. (Maybe some kind of internal reflection)

I mean, I can kind of see it. Since he owes them for his life, obviously he can't treat them the way he did before because that'd make him the most ungrateful character

>Having the 6th hang out with the rest of the team and yet still operating with the risk of snapping is very different. But when the time comes, the show will need to deliver a good explanation to convincingly justify why this is going on.

Hopefully it's not just something troublesome like "oh he has multiple personalities" or "he's bipolar" or something bad like that

> Zyu of course was the first series with a regular 6th

ooh

>However I'm not entirely sure how the design of the MOTW relates to Zyuranger, or for that matter how "clearing" things ties into the series.

Yeah, the motw by itself didn't have very clear theming if any that I could see besides the dinosaur thing
Huh, so the ZyuRanger became a different ranger in Dragoku's hands
6th for a 6th. Though since the gears are essentially generic, there's seemingly no absolute reason why it needs to have Green on it instead of Red.

Toy probably does something different. But does that mean any time they give him a past Ranger gear, it'll change into the sixth ranger version? I feel like this is the sort of thing that'll never get answered
Lunagel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:50 pm And then came "you're not supposed to know about Trinity"
Wait, we're not supposed to know about Trinity? Is there some Zi-O factoid I missed out on?

Hmm?
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Yaiba wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:35 am XY Axis: Tarou / Shinichi / Haruka / Tsubasa / Tsuyoshi / Jirou / Sonoi / Sononi / Sonoza

Source: https://www.toei.co.jp/tv/donbrothers/s ... _3246.html
The Inu type seems quite defensive. It is resistant to moves from all of the other types. Unfortunately, Inu type moves are not very effective against all of the other types.

I wished Miho chanted encouragement for 1,000 times instead 10,000 times. It would have been a nice reference to senbazuru.

The Tsuyoshi x Miho scenes are becoming a bit stale for me. Tsuyoshi could've brought up legitimate concerns like how they rushed into getting married. They couldn't have known each other very long prior to marriage, because Tsubasa said he had to be a fugitive for a year to secure Natsumi's release.

I'm not yet sold on Jirou's personality shift. It feels like a gimmick than actual character development. Haruka's slap and everyone forgiving Jirou with "boys will be boys" logic was quite abrupt. It reminds me of the anime trope where the protagonist defeats a major villain that seems irredeemable but befriends them later on. "They tried to kill me, but it's all good now."

Haruka warning Don Momotarou about their stolen their powers felt off. The show hasn't really tried to show off how each of the Brothers have unique powers. Most of the fights so far just have them brawling indiscriminately.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Gosh, I’m so glad they followed up on Kijino’s fall. They arguably could’ve done more with it, but he had a nice mini-arc and finally opened up about his problems.

To be honest, this also felt like a return to form for Tarou—the last few episodes had been writing him like a jerk, but in his first appearances he was more well-meaning but acted just a bit strange or oblivious, and this is more the former. He tries to be helpful but sometimes doesn’t see how he comes off, detransforms to ask one question, and takes time to explain why one apology is enough, and his character quirks add to the character instead of subtracting from it.

Side notes include:
—Haruka slapping the sense back into Jirou is a nice corner to someone kicking her every episode
—Jirou continues the trend of the team having almost no neurotypical members (more his hero worship and occasional intensity than his acting evil, which I suspect is some sort of mind control)
—Tarou and Sonoi agree to talk, and the Hitotsuki just kind of… lets them?
—Speaking of which, I think some of those pixelation effects were also used in Ex-Aid. Nice bit of visual continuity across the same (planet? multiverse? I forget what state reality’s in).

Next episode:
Spoiler
This gives me vibes of an extremely lighthearted episode for the most of it that goes very dark by the end. The origami also makes me wonder if a Jyuto was behind Jirou’s actions?
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thinking about it some more, killing off Tarou then reintroducing him as a kinder Tarou Classic is a pretty interesting move. Give the kids an episode to forget about him acting like a jerk all the time, and bam, you've reformed your protagonist XD
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Mxylv wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:13 am —Tarou and Sonoi agree to talk, and the Hitotsuki just kind of… lets them?
MOTW respect the yaoi subtext!
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:06 am
Lunagel wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:50 pm And then came "you're not supposed to know about Trinity"
Wait, we're not supposed to know about Trinity? Is there some Zi-O factoid I missed out on?

Hmm?
oh, back when Zi-O was airing, western fans would ask questions about stuff all the time, but this was before there were the official western releases for these shows, so Toei couldn't officially acknowledge its western fanbase on account of "there shouldn't be a legal way for anyone outside of Japan to watch this, so if they're watching it that must be through illegal means, and if we acknowledge them it means we're aware of it and HAVE to act on it or it presents legal troubles."

at one point someone was asking either a Toei exec or someone high up working on Zi-O, possibly the director (I forget at this point) about Trinity, which they doubly shouldn't have been aware of because it wasn't in the show yet, not even in a next episode preview or anything, so the only way to know about it would be through the toy trade magazines and stuff. between the fact that those are supposed to be internally kept secrets, and also it was a western fan asking about it, "you're not supposed to know about Trinity" was that person's way of subtly telling the western fan "we cannot acknowledge these things, please drop the subject." but the fan wasn't the "brightest knife in the shed" to put it mildly, didn't drop the subject, and even name dropped some of the groups doing subs for SHT shows.

iirc, didn't this group have issues around that time because of all this?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Did we? I don't recall. That's a funny story though lol
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i think i know why Tarou feels differently about them; he's never been in need or debt from anyone else before. think about it. he always injected himself to other people, 1 upped them telling them how this was better, then was rejected for being an arrogant jerk. in a way its kinda sad how he is with his job. its like he hasnt given up on himself, so he thinks if he delivers packages to people and bring them happiness, and forms links with them, he'll somehow make friends with someone, even though thats a failed plan because people GAF about who delivers their boxes.
SO!~
there he is defeated. and his companions pursued him to bring him back. Tarou is likely super conflicted because its the first time hes ever been accepted by some one other than his uncle. and we still dont know the full story of him and Kaito so they may not even be friends so much as just they know each other and Kaito is using Tarou as an ends to means. also, aside from them chasing him, he was "helped" i dont think he knows how to deal with having been in someone else need before. like, just being him means being super self sufficient and not really needing anyone else, bnut this time he did.

plot twist: Kaito is the final villain! since he wanted to be the first for something he'd be the first sentai member to be next years villain!

Dragoku and his split persona is sorta like Blue buster turning bad when over heated. actually, its also a akin to Mondo, Jyuoh The World, that he'd shut down emotionally. still did he have the shield last week? i feel like it was new this week.

last thought. so after some one is a MOTW, they seem to turn around and be a better version of themselves right? so what does that mean for Tsumonji? are we to expect a better Kijibrother?
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

Normally I hate CGI toy non-sense like the Alter Changes in other shows, but the gimmick of the person just collapsing as their soul leaves their body is hilarious enough for me to forgive it.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”