DonBrothers 19 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:49 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
54%
☆☆☆☆
23%
☆☆☆
23%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 19 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.42 of 5 stars (12 votes)

I'm amazed they found so many telephone booths in Japan. I wonder if Inoue is feeling nostalgic for his youth

Haruka face

Interesting t hat the First Love Hero the guy is reading still has the 2022 award written on the bottom.

You can see Tsuyoshi's wedding photo in his desk drawer

Just realized that Tsubasa revealed his Inu Brother form to Minako, but the others still don't know

I liked the antics with Haruka, the actress who played Minako was great, and it's always good to see Haruka's aunt. We get a few scenes with her this time!

What slightly confuses me is why this episode happens here and not earlier on. We still don't know that much about Jirou or Murasame, but they're kinda here in an extraneous way and immediate get sidelined with each other. At this point, it's probably time we learned more about what's going on with Jirou and Murasame?

My one nitpick is that the ending is a bit unsatisfying? She talks to the guy and then decides to move on and that's it.

Good self-contained episode, but I think I'm ready for some more plot now

And time for everyone's favorite game, how does a ghost kaijin have anything to do with Go-Onger?
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: DonBrothers 19 discussion thread

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:49 pm And time for everyone's favorite game, how does a ghost kaijin have anything to do with Go-Onger?
The best I've got is that the three Gaiark ministers all died and came back as ghosts in their post-series appearances.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I like seeing places in stations that were clearly set up for phone booths/public phones that have since been taken out and either repurposed or not. One of the larger stations near me has just a long table that was clearly bolted to the floor and now it's just sitting there, collecting dust. Nothing on it, it's just more of a pain to take it out than to keep it there. Another big station has a title wall design pointing to the phones that are not there anymore.

Hearing Haruka's aunt talk about the "good old days" made me so happy to have a smart phone. I do not miss having only one phone and my mother tying up the line for 3 hours at a time talking to her sisters.

Still, a surprisingly touching story this time and I was honestly kinda irritated when the fighting broke out cause I was more invested in what was happening with Minako.

Man, Jirou is like, the most underused 6th in his first few debut episodes ever.
HeXaDaast
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Choujuu Sentai Liveman
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Twokaizer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai
Quote: Everything will turn out right, the world is built on that.

Post by HeXaDaast »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:49 pm And time for everyone's favorite game, how does a ghost kaijin have anything to do with Go-Onger?
The ghost might be tied to the Engine Souls perhaps?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HeXaDaast wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:44 pm
It's been a while since I saw Go-Onger, but I don't think the vehicles were like literal souls, right?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:04 am

It's been a while since I saw Go-Onger, but I don't think the vehicles were like literal souls, right?
It was basically their minds decoupled from their bodies, and kept in a cartridge. Whether you want to classify that as a soul or not is up to you - souls aren't exactly well-defined.
HeXaDaast
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Choujuu Sentai Liveman
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Twokaizer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai
Quote: Everything will turn out right, the world is built on that.

Post by HeXaDaast »

I feel like their thought process might have been that the Souls were a thing, so why not make the monster a soul that doesn't get to rest in peace. And the Engine Souls did kinda contain their spirits, like when Kegareshia swapped souls with Bomper, or whenever someone used the Go-Roader.

On another note, I think it's really neat that Kijino had business cards of Time Red and Beet Buster in his address book.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Some pretty hilariously unfortunate timing this week having an episode be centred around death and a bloke named Shinzo.

Haruka's face game was on point this week. Half my screenshots are just her pulling weird faces.

This is the 2nd time Tsubasa's revealed himself to a character of the week.

The guy playing Shinzo was Ginis in Zyuohger, if anyone cares.

The Engine Souls are indeed meant to be their actual souls. The Engine Casts (the bodies) are just shells that they take control of. There's one episode where they all get mixed up, and they can talk just as a Soul.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Okay so literal souls lol. I just remember the gameboy looking cartridge so the idea that is the physical manifestation of a soul was funny

Yeah, Shinzou is played by Inoue Kazuhiko who's normally a voice actor. Cue me skimming an article and seeing an old Japanese guy and going "Oh, Inoue is in this. So the writer is putting himself in his story?" Wrong Inoue...

Although this story is pretty fascinating. Like you can kind of tell an old guy wrote it
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This episode was 98% a Doki Doki Love Love Super Mangaka side story. While most capital T tokusatsu folk probable thought it was 100% filler (and it was) this was a real treat. Haruka is obviously the real main character of the show so her being the "center" for the episode makes the show just feel right.

As for the Nouto show, maybe Sonozo will read Haruka's manga and become normal?

As for Zen-O, Kaitou does indeed randomly ride a motorcycle! He will become a proper Kamen Rider yet. Now, what he needs is a kid sister to show up to help run the host club and fight with Haruka.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This was a very un-Sentai Sentai episode. You could have taken the basic plot, stripped out the fighting, and easily have told a similar ghost story in a more traditional genre show. To be sure, it was well-enough done for what it was, but this is not going on the DonBros best-hits list; it doesn't advance any of the plots, and even though it's clearly a Haruka focus episode, it doesn't show us anything new about her character, either.

Given the focus on the ghost story, this is a fairly fighting-light episode. Both fights with the core team are at the same location, and nothing about them stands out as being complex. The Murasame fight was even shorter (underscoring its superfluousness), but it did at least squeeze in some bolder camerawork.

And Hey, the companions actually shut-up for once when making the robo! There is hope after all! :lol:
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:49 pm What slightly confuses me is why this episode happens here and not earlier on. We still don't know that much about Jirou or Murasame, but they're kinda here in an extraneous way and immediate get sidelined with each other. At this point, it's probably time we learned more about what's going on with Jirou and Murasame?
I'm right there with you.

One of the things that has made this series interesting (and a break from the SS mold) is that it's taken a more KR-like narrative structure, with multiple ongoing plot threads instead of devoting whole episodes (or small arcs) to characters and concepts. It's slightly less episodic and slightly more serialized.

However the flip side of that is that the show is starting to get weighed down by the number of plot threads that are now in flight - we have everything from the origins of the Don Brothers to the Jyuto to Don Murasame. Only a handful of threads have really been advanced/retired since the start, and those are small character things like Tarou getting (slightly) better about appreciating and complimenting his companions.

At almost 20 episodes in now, Inoue needs to either shit or get off of the mystery box. By all means start some new threads as it makes sense to, but the show also needs to start advancing and wrapping up some of its other threads. We've had a lot of things happen so far, but the show still isn't giving the viewer an idea as to what end.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

I am loving the fact that the Filler Episodes are way more entertaining than the actual plot.

This series continues to fire on all Cylinders

Perfect Episode. Just amazing.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Good episode. Here the team's mission was to make the ghost move on. It's nice to have these sometimes. But I think it's time they start getting into the story a bit more. We still have no idea what's going on with anything at all...

I can't believe Hanamura is still being mentioned. I thought his story was over long ago. Cuz I'm sick of him...

Hmmm. I'm kinda glad for the callback to episode 10 when Haruka got replaced. Have they mentioned anything from that episode before this other than the Kibi points?

Why can Haruka see the ghost, though? Any particular reason? Is it because of her ranger powers?

Haruka's aunt is oblivious, isn't she?

If Haruka can see the ghost because of her ranger powers, then why can't the others?
Oh, wait. The others can see her now... By holding their breath? Strange rule... Or is it that the ghost herself decides who can see her and can't?

Zenkaizer Black's behavior becomes more and more mysterious EVERY EPISODE!!!! Specifically now that he's interacting with people more. WHAT'S WITH THAT SMILE at 8:27?

Wait, Tsubasa is here but isn't talking or sitting with the other rangers... Why??!!

Huh? They all suddenly agreed to go on a date with a ghost? Are they crazy?

Poor Minako. It was a bad idea to go on a date with Tarou to begin with. He doesn't know even one thing about being romantic... At least they had fun eating and skydiving... But, wait. If Tarou can't touch her because she's a ghost, how did he hold her when they went skydiving? Makes no sense.

Inoue's stories are so frustrating... Even this random ghost knows Tsubasa's identity. Soo the world will know but not the other 5 Donbrothers...

What inhuman quality is Minako talking about? I don't get it.

How did Zenkaizer Black become a playboy? Only mothers and kids gathered around him because he was wearing a flashy outfit and looking so cool with a motorcycle. And it's not like he was flirting with anyone...

Haruka's actions are always so fun, lol.

Jirou is still not friends with the others...

I'm intrigued and pleased that they replaced the Donbrothers mimicking the sounds of their animals and demon with the proper sound effects. Way less annoying.

Ok, the alter modes may be lame, but the Jirou riding on that drone was at least kinda cool.

The super sad music in the background totally ruins the mood of the fight, dang it!

Lmao, why does Hanamura's mom have his phone? I do think get it....
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:49 pm What slightly confuses me is why this episode happens here and not earlier on. We still don't know that much about Jirou or Murasame, but they're kinda here in an extraneous way and immediate get sidelined with each other. At this point, it's probably time we learned more about what's going on with Jirou and Murasame?
That annoyed me too. Jirou and Don Murasame had barely anything to do in this episode. And that fight was also pointless other than reminding us that this purple guy with a shark alter toy appeared in the last episode.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:49 pm My one nitpick is that the ending is a bit unsatisfying? She talks to the guy and then decides to move on and that's it.
When you put it that way, it makes me unsatisfied too. I guess it kinda made sense to me. But I would have liked if Minako could meet Shinzou. That would be a little better maybe.
HeXaDaast wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:57 am On another note, I think it's really neat that Kijino had business cards of Time Red and Beet Buster in his address book.
Oh yeah. Good job noticing that. And Masato's name is written in the same format as it was written on the show. Kanji surname, Katakana given name.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Wait, Tsubasa is here but isn't talking or sitting with the other rangers... Why??!!

Cause they're not friends. They've seen each other a handful of times but that's it. The only guy he knows is Kijino who greets him

Anyway, did a v2 of my release post. Try and spot the difference!
Millsy
Favorite series: Zero-One | Donbrothers | Dyna | Makai Senki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O | Lupinranger VS Patranger | Decker | Gold Storm
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by Millsy »

Hanamura being a momma's boy and suddenly being brought up again....

...what if he ends up being Don Murasame?...
watch ultraman ginga it's actually a really fantastic show

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”