DonBrothers 23 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:15 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆☆
43%
☆☆☆
21%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 23 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.36 of 5 stars (11 votes)

lol, why do the girls go from "this weird obvious not dog is cute" to throwing rocks at Tsubasa?

I keep thinking thinking Miho is going to twist her head off or something

Oh, what a dumb tease. In the preview, it made it seem like Tsubasa was like, "Who's that person who looks like Natsumi" but he just has amnesia. Put amnesia on the Inoue bingo card

Wasn't expecting Tsubasa to turn into a lateral dog. What is the point? So they could do the DaiRanger change?

Nice rod action

Suddenly Jirou has a Robotarou form. Also, the DaiRanger change didn't showcase any DaiRanger attacks or moves... I hate that Jirou's tiger form is purple, there's already a purple ranger!

Looks like the tiger might have a humanoid form separate from Jirou's dragon combo?

What's the weird characters on the robo's shoulders? Some of it looks like kanji but others seem random

Gotta admit, pretty good melee from the two martial arts sentai

Not loving Jirou's face on the robo

Was there a thing in GekiRanger about things being too noisy?

They could have used a cool ancient china or cyberpunk night city look for the background. Why this weird Arizona desert looking place?

Sooo... is that it for Tsubasa's story for this episode? Gets amnesia, turns into a dog... is all better now?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: DonBrothers 23 discussion thread

Post by Lunagel »

Maybe cause Jan was always super loud?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:49 pm Maybe cause Jan was always super loud?
Yeah that's kind of what I was wondering too. Kind of meta...
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I want those SCRTC sneakers.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

ImageImage

The words on the shoulders are about the shield and halberd. 神盾撃器 / 熱烈貫戟.

Man, hearing that Gekiranger catchphase just made me missed Gekiranger.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh man, good catch. I totally didn't notice the kanji were one whole thing and not two different rows.
Blue/left side: 神盾撃器 God's shield for being struck
Purple/right side: 熱烈貫戟 The zealous piercing halberd

If you know your kanji, you know what this is a reference to:
Halbred+Shield = Mujun 矛盾, a contradiction. For how can there be a shield that blocks everything and a halberd that can pierce anything?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Finally, the debut of 新力戦隊ニュパワーズ! All the old suits in HD look really nice and make me wish they'd expand beyond just 10 Years After movies. Though obviously Dairanger can't happen.
takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:15 pm Wasn't expecting Tsubasa to turn into a lateral dog. What is the point? So they could do the DaiRanger change?
They really didn't think this gimmick through. Limiting them to colours means they have to keep making up excuses to keep one of them away for any teams that don't fit their exact colour scheme. They really should have done the Gokaiger thing of matching up counterparts. It does create an interesting situation though where Gokaiger and Donbros counterparts don't match. For example, Go-On Black is Ahim's counterpart, but he'd obviously go to Tsubasa, except Inu Brother is Don's key. Oh, and Tarou turned into Zenkaiser in episode one, to confuse stuff further. It does make me wonder if they'd intended on barely using the gimmick and fan complaints have brought it back into the spotlight. Oh, and make gender-swapped suits. All the fight I was thinking "Tsuyoshi, rip your skirt off and give it to Haruka". Even less excuse here since they already have the female Kirinranger suit from Gokaiger!

I'm wondering why he didn't go to Kijino for help right away. Would have been a great way to finally expose his identity, although I am kind of enjoying having him be the only one left out. Part of me wonders if the finale will be them finally doing their first and only role call together.

So those girls thinking he's a real dog is weird enough, but I'm more concerned about Jirou's friends. Have they not seen the Donbrothers on the news? Do they not realise Don Dragoku is a real hero? Or are superheroes so unremarkble in the Toei universe that no-one cares? Oh, except a few episodes ago they were big celebrities.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This was a filler episode to the max. We have Tsubasa who has a wacky adventure that goes absolutely nowhere. We have the Jyuto Waifu righteously kicking ass (although she can't kill a Jyuto so the end of the battle feels like the end of a battle in Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch where the bad guys yell "I'll remember this", transport back to Dark Kingdom Pacific Ocean, and nothing really is gained). We have Jirou showing that his psychosis is manifesting in two separate versions of himself so they can sell toys. And, we have a MOTW that somehow vaguely relates to a season that I haven't seen.

I think the only point to this episode is that this show is under the American version of Sailor Moon rule that they have to throw in moral lessons for the kids. This week: Praying for the dead is a good thing, tripping over a makeshift shrine is a bad thing.
Rider Cure Man
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
Favorite Band: Sub-Radio
My boom: Resident Evil
Quote: "Now, Count Your Sins"

Post by Rider Cure Man »

I feel like this plot is at a Standstill since Episode 18

Don Murasame is still mysterious
Nouto are at this point comic relief and Anti-Heroes
Jyuto have done jack shit and are basically MIA
and Tsubasa still hasn't releveled himself to the team

Little SCRTC cameo love it

Jirou at least got his Robotaro form and had the best mecha fight I've seen from Toei in a long time

the end bit with Tsubasa turning back while eating the dog food only a few seconds later to continue while the little girl go's back to petting him reluctantly was pretty funny to me
''Please return that button to God'' - Keisuke Nago
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

resop2 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:02 pm This was a filler episode to the max.
As utterly strange as it is to call an episode with a new robo introduction filler, I actually have to agree with this.

The A plot is Tsubasa's adventure, where he learns nothing, remembers nothing, and there are no consequences in the end. For what should have been a character focus episode (since we're doing a block of those), it's a letdown. I think there was supposed to be a point here about him learning to trust other people? But since he couldn't reach them, it comes off more as subverting the trope than advancing the character. 23 episodes in and he's still the dude pining for another man's wife and whom has no idea who his teammates are or why he's doing any of this.

Meanwhile, things are getting crazy in Jirou-land. I rather enjoyed his little B plot of going home to visit his friends and how, while they think he's daffy, they admire him for chasing his dream. After the last Jirou focus episode had the girl flake out, this puts his old friends in a better light. And I love the zinger of him blowing the girl's mind in the end by transforming as he left, proving he wasn't daffy after all. :lol:

And then we get to the fighting. Jirou splits into his good and bad halves for reasons? And they each have their own copies of his weapon and can transform on their own? Even for a series that's been playing things fast and loose, it really doesn't make any sense. And the compositing to have both Jirous together was surprisingly poorly done; Sentai's done the same trick better before.

Side note: kudos to Jirou's actor for his Torabolt voice. That has to be hell on his throat, but it sounds distinct and evil

But it was certainly interesting seeing both versions of Jirou fight at once. And they got to fight the MOTW this time! There's a long(ish) take of about 8 seconds of very busy fight choreography with all 3 of them that was really well done (especially Torabolt going over the halberd), so kudos for that. DonBrothers hasn't really done much in the way of big set piece fights thus far (it's clear that Toei is cutting back on the action sequences for this one), so it's nice to see something that's not a couple of quick strikes and then a cut.

The real stand-out here, however, was the mecha fight. And for the first time all season, Toei delivers the goods with a fight that lives up to what a robo/6th introduction fight should be. Ignoring for the moment that Jirou is fighting alongside himself, it was a very good fight that didn't excessively rely on CGI. It was kinetic and it's clear that the Toradragon suit is light/flexible enough to move around in, so there was plenty of physical contact between the two combatants. The bits of wire-fu were an extra nice touch, as well.

I'm not sold on the robo design itself, mostly because of the silly shoulder pieces. Purple and gold is also a very weird color combination. Still, it fits with the series.

Also, if you watch the Anon subs, watch out for a typo at 08:34: "You have to admit that Jirou-kun is the only one who haven't given up on his childhood dream."
takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:15 pm lol, why do the girls go from "this weird obvious not dog is cute" to throwing rocks at Tsubasa?
The whole logic of the situation is weird. He's obviously not an actual dog.
Suddenly Jirou has a Robotarou form. Also, the DaiRanger change didn't showcase any DaiRanger attacks or moves... I hate that Jirou's tiger form is purple, there's already a purple ranger!
What I don't understand is why Torabolt is silver in color but his mecha is purple. Unlike the golden dragon, it doesn't even match the ranger using it. I'm hoping this isn't just a coincidence and there's a reason Robobolt is the same color as Murasame. But the utter randomness and sudden appearances of things like rangers and power-ups in this series is starting to shake my faith in Toei's/Inoue's long-term planning.
Was it? They only fought for 13 seconds before Jirou showed up.
They could have used a cool ancient china or cyberpunk night city look for the background. Why this weird Arizona desert looking place?
I have to agree with you there. They were obviously going for a setting that strongly contrasted against the normal cyberpunk setting used for robo fights. But the change seems arbitrary, and nothing about it feels like it matches Jirou's themes.
takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:01 pm
Lunagel wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:49 pm Maybe cause Jan was always super loud?
Yeah that's kind of what I was wondering too. Kind of meta...
Wasn't one of Jan's special abilities that he could hear trouble (zowazowa) before it arrived? It's still a very weak connection, but if they're not going meta, then that might be it?
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:08 am They really didn't think this gimmick through. Limiting them to colours means they have to keep making up excuses to keep one of them away for any teams that don't fit their exact colour scheme. They really should have done the Gokaiger thing of matching up counterparts.
At this point I'm forced to agree. Limiting team transformations in such a fashion is creating really convoluted setups in order to get rid of a DonBro to make the rest of the lineup work. While it does set gimmick apart from Gokaiger, the lack of flexibility is hurting the storytelling, especially with this week's A plot.
Rider Cure Man wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:56 pm I feel like this plot is at a Standstill since Episode 18

Don Murasame is still mysterious
Nouto are at this point comic relief and Anti-Heroes
Jyuto have done jack shit and are basically MIA
and Tsubasa still hasn't releveled himself to the team
We're in a stretch of character focus episodes, so the fact that the big plot points aren't moving forward is not entirely unexpected. Most Sentai series have a block of character focus episodes around episode 20 or so, so in a sense we were due. But the lack of traditional storytelling means that this series suffers from a lack of plot/arc resolutions to begin with, so the entire aimless wandering impression is being exacerbated.
the end bit with Tsubasa turning back while eating the dog food only a few seconds later to continue while the little girl go's back to petting him reluctantly was pretty funny to me
Statistically speaking, that's the only time in your life you're going to get to pet a 6 foot tall TV star, little girl. So enjoy it while it lasts! :lol:
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:11 am At this point I'm forced to agree. Limiting team transformations in such a fashion is creating really convoluted setups in order to get rid of a DonBro to make the rest of the lineup work. While it does set gimmick apart from Gokaiger, the lack of flexibility is hurting the storytelling, especially with this week's A plot.
Also it means there are loads of suits we'll never see. Like, any suit that's not a 6th or the main 5's colours won't show up. I've said before that both Zenkaiger and Donbrothers are really half-arsing the anniversary elements.

Honestly it's kind of weird that they've not even acknowledged that these are past Sentais. They're just treating them as any other random form change. No mention of the 45 previous teams which used them.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
vasyear
7X
Quote: don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining

Post by vasyear »

I am consistantly impressed by this show
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:11 am
Was it? They only fought for 13 seconds before Jirou showed up.
Oh, I think I was talking about the mecha fight at that point. The DaiRanger stuff was over real quick
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

There's a certain poetry to Tsubasa seeking solace from Natsumi and help from Kijino, and having them be the ones to save him despite knowing nothing about the story. That's about it for the poetry.

Okay, that's not entirely true--Jirou's visit home was excellently done. (The only thing I think that scene was missing was a repeat of the introduction/childhood conversation that was implied to have been going on for a while, but I can respect putting time into genuine characterization instead.) The character continues to have an odd determination to keep the story going, and is arguably the real main character of an arc comprised entirely around developing(?) other characters--one could argue that we learn more about him in this single homecoming scene then we have about most of the focus characters in this most recent run.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
SVNBob
Go Go!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by SVNBob »

Mxylv wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:37 pm Okay, that's not entirely true--Jirou's visit home was excellently done. (The only thing I think that scene was missing was a repeat of the introduction/childhood conversation that was implied to have been going on for a while, but I can respect putting time into genuine characterization instead.) The character continues to have an odd determination to keep the story going, and is arguably the real main character of an arc comprised entirely around developing(?) other characters--one could argue that we learn more about him in this single homecoming scene then we have about most of the focus characters in this most recent run.
Agreed. And maybe it's because I'm also watching Jetman, but looking at the group of them at the table together, it seemed to me that they were meant to represent a sentai from an earlier era themselves. There was the big guy in yellow, a nerdy dude (Blue?), the other guy who wanted to be invisible (Black?), the girl (Pink), and Jirou as a Red of sorts.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”