DonBrothers 24 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:03 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
7%
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 24 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.08 of 5 stars (12 votes)

Looks like DragonJin made it to the opening

Does Inoue live with his mom? Why do old ladies keep showing up to cook for these grown men doing a delivery job?

Tarou sure likes having a piece of rice on his face considering what a perfectionist he is

Huh, that laptop has a Goda Digial Holdings sticker on it. Goda was the MegaRanger Hitotsuki. Kind of a random callback

Well, that dinner looks good

Again with Haruka thinking things to people instad of saying them

Tarou's reading Zenkai e no Chousen and the logo is a gear

Whati s this piano room. That's not in the same shop as the cafe

The monster this week is surprisingly cool looking?

Ah, the DonBrothers sure have their flaws lol

The DonBrothers sure ran slowly for that old lady to follow them

Kind of a cool fighting location. They made use of the vertical space

Hey, DragonJin good second fight two. Like the floppy sword. Feel like I've seen some flexible swords in martial arts films before so that's alright to me

Interesting that we dont' see their faces when the mom and son are reunited. Oh, does he kiss her cheek behind the flower? I can't tell

You know, there's something about the way the son looks or is dressed when he turns human again that does make him have a passing resemblance to Tarou

I like how the sponsor message is "His first encounter with a mother's love?" /me looks at Jin blankly
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: DonBrothers 24 discussion thread

Post by Yaiba »

Look at Inoue trolling (through Hakura) at all the people complaining about the series has too many mysteries and nothing is explained.

Ramdom fact, the moon backdrop when the Hitotsuki appears is the same as in Kakuranger's opening. He also did the Kakuranger pose when he grew large.

I like how the sponsor message is "His first encounter with a mother's love?" /me looks at Jin blankly
> Jin gave fatherly love. They're not the same.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

"You couldn't refuse to play piano for her, she might have realised you're an imposter!" Oh yeah, instead you should just go along with the delusions of this clearly mentally ill woman. That's gonna make things better.

Haruka's back with her amazing faces. With her sister appearing in Geats, I hope that talent runs in the family.

At least they acknowledge Don Murasame. Why was he introduced so early? His changer is Premium Bandai so it's not like toy sales are a huge concern.

Tsuyoshi once murdered a guy for hurting Miho, so yeah, not a good idea to badmouth her, lady.

This week's Hitotsuki is Ninjaki, the Kakuranger monster. Which I guess fits his design, but not really sure what the link is. They fought Youkai, are they desperate for life? I don't recall anyone in Kakuranger having mummy issues.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I never saw Kaku, but I vaguely remember someone mentioning that ikigai/reason for life was a big motif?
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

They do. The Kakurangers each found and reaffrimed their resolve to fight when searching for the Kakure Daishogun Shinobi Scrolls:

Taken from Power rangers wiki https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki/Go ... od_Saruder
Spoiler
Red: the importance of protecting all life, not just human
White: a leader is about caring for and protecting her comrades rather than being the strongest
Blue/Yellow: the importance of not giving in to despair no matter how hopeless the situation
Black: realized how willing the yokai were to use human suffering to their own advantage and found a new purpose in fighting them
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Is this the first episode where Momoi has a closing encounter with a civilian and they don't turn into the MOTW?

So, Kaito rides a motorcycle, wears a tuxedo, and plays piano? Doesn't quite cut down which shoujo manga male lead he is based on, but they are piling on the troupes.

So, Haruka lasts the least long with the Zenkaiger Theater Troop part 2? I am not surprised by Salary Man not being good at the con, but I am surprised that hippie has such a thin skin.

This is a good Momoi focus episode since even though he is still Gary to the Stu to the max he does get put upon a lot.

I think they need a Sononi focus episode soon. She's kind of getting lost here.

Since the coffee shop is really a host club, of course they have music study room in the back.

If this is really a sequel to Zenkaiger is this world "ShoujoMangaTopia"?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This week: hijinks! And maybe some fighting on the side.

This is at least a slightly better character focus episode than last week, since Tarou technically does learn something (since he never had a mom). But since we don't get to see the impact on him (he would have apologized anyhow; he's Tarou) I'm not sure if it's of any consequence. Which is an ongoing issue with this series.

Unfortunately, there are no cool fights this week. But I did enjoy seeing Shinichi put Jirou in his place. Though it does raise the question of why he's still running around in berserker mode.
takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:03 pm Does Inoue live with his mom? Why do old ladies keep showing up to cook for these grown men doing a delivery job?
Isn't Inoue in his 60s? If so, the answer to that question may seriously be yes. (Though in that case, it's his mom living with him, I'd expect)
The monster this week is surprisingly cool looking?
Agreed! When they do the inevitable MOTW recycling, this is one I wouldn't mind seeing back.
Interesting that we dont' see their faces when the mom and son are reunited.
That stuck out to me as well. Even their street meet-up was odd, as it was framed in such a way that it could easily be greenscreened (and I'm not convinced it wasn't). I can't help but wonder what that was all about. Were they unable to get both actors on the same day or something?
Yaiba wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:29 am Look at Inoue trolling (through Hakura) at all the people complaining about the series has too many mysteries and nothing is explained.
There are situations where hanging a lampshade on a situation is called for. Implausibly narrow escapes, etc. But when you're hanging a lampshade on the entire plot, it's a bit much.
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:26 am At least they acknowledge Don Murasame. Why was he introduced so early? His changer is Premium Bandai so it's not like toy sales are a huge concern.
Wait. The Marasame gear isn't even being sold as a regular toy?! Man, that raises all kinds of questions about why he's even here.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:03 pm Well, that dinner looks good
I'm not a fan of the amount of dishes that need to be washed per person after just 1 meal. Preparing a washoku meal is already a lot of work. Cleaning up after one is a non-starter for me.

It is now confirmed that the portals can be used to go where they want.

Did this episode have any stakes? Failing to humor the mom doesn't mean anything. It didn't make any sense that they were more interested in playing along than searching for the missing son. I guess the frequent hitotsuki attacks have conditioned them to be unconcerned about people suddenly disappearing. Even Kouichirou's friends don't seem to be bothered by their friend's disappearance.

The mystery behind why Kouichirou left home fell flat. There wasn't adequate development to really sell the broken family dynamic and its resolution. There is not emotional investment for the audience to care.

When the hitotsuki was defeated, did all of the victims reappear naked? Only their clothes were left behind after hey were attacked.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Did this episode have any stakes? Failing to humor the mom doesn't mean anything.

It made the depressed mom feel better, at least I think that's what blue's stated intentions were. It felt like a lesson for Tarou to be more human and less a robot

>It didn't make any sense that they were more interested in playing along than searching for the missing son. I guess the frequent hitotsuki attacks have conditioned them to be unconcerned about people suddenly disappearing. Even Kouichirou's friends don't seem to be bothered by their friend's disappearance.

To be fair, the son was a grown man that ran away from home

>When the hitotsuki was defeated, did all of the victims reappear naked? Only their clothes were left behind after hey were attacked.

Did they reappear? Normally they show that, bu tnot this time
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:27 pm >Did this episode have any stakes? Failing to humor the mom doesn't mean anything.
It made the depressed mom feel better, at least I think that's what blue's stated intentions were. It felt like a lesson for Tarou to be more human and less a robot
Maybe my problem is that I don't find the mom's response believable. These kinds of lies tend to backfire and make the situation worse.
takenoko wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:27 pm >It didn't make any sense that they were more interested in playing along than searching for the missing son. I guess the frequent hitotsuki attacks have conditioned them to be unconcerned about people suddenly disappearing. Even Kouichirou's friends don't seem to be bothered by their friend's disappearance.

To be fair, the son was a grown man that ran away from home
The central issue is that a mother and son had a big fight that fractured their close relationship. It was bad enough that Kouichirou left without telling anyone, not even his friends, where he was going. Latching onto Tarou as a substitute shows how emotionally devastated she was.

I had trouble suspending my disbelief due to the amount of effort they put into Shinichi's plan. If they could track down people they aren't acquainted with like Kouichirou's friends, they are perfectly capable of looking into what happened to Kouichirou.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Arigomi wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:12 pm I had trouble suspending my disbelief due to the amount of effort they put into Shinichi's plan. If they could track down people they aren't acquainted with like Kouichirou's friends, they are perfectly capable of looking into what happened to Kouichirou.
I agree. They tracked down Kouichirou's friends but had no way of contacting the son himself? Do his friends seriously have NO way of reaching out to him?
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

More character focus episodes till we finally get to the plot in September... I wonder why they mentioned Don Murasame in this one... To assure us that they haven't forgotten about him, even though they actually have?

Consistency issue: Tarou can't lie, but he (supposedly) acted in a movie between episode 20 and 21. And now in episode 24, he says he can't pretend/act as if he's Higashi Tomoko's son. Sigh 🤷‍♀️

What does this sign mean? I know that the kanji on the cloth means ice but what does having this sign in front of a cafe mean? That they sell shaved ice here or something?

Tarou's attempt at lip-syncing to Shin'ichi's words is hilarious... He keeps making the same movements no matter what Shin'ichi says.

Higashi Tomoko's son must've been pretty young if he still kisses his mom when he comes home... Or is it one of the things the mom still forces him to do despite his age...? And they are making the "a son kissing his mom on the cheek" thing extremely weird and creepy with the noises and by prolonging the scene...

That meal looks delicious... Lucky Tarou...

Hmm... They're involving Zenkaiger Black more and more... Why are we hearing his inner thoughts, though?

It's like whatever Tarou can't do, Zenkaiger Black does it to fill in for him.

And how does Tarou learn how to play the piano just after listening/seeing Zenkaiger Black play the piano for a few minutes? I have to agree with Haruka on this one.

This is the funniest face Haruka has made in this episode.

Looks like Tsubasa is back to normal... And he came in to save that one kid from the monster in that one scene. I'm surprised they even treat Totaro as a regular cast member with how underused he is, other than the voice for Inubrother...

Thank you for calling Shin'ichi lazy, Tomoko-san. Someone had to say it...

If Haruka's reaction to the events is entertaining, then Zenkaizer Black's reaction is intriguing.

Why is Tsuyoshi turning Kouichirou's story into his own? This is definitely not about him....

I think the monster stopped not because Tomoko-san was trying to protect Tarou but because the monster is actually Tomoko-san's son.

I like Professor Mad Monkey. He should be around more often.

The ending was nice.

The best part was definitely all the faces Haruka made in this episode. She's always funny but this episode was really something.

takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:03 pm The monster this week is surprisingly cool looking?
Agreed. The Shinobi/ninja motif was utilized pretty well for this monster.
Arigomi wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:22 pm It didn't make any sense that they were more interested in playing along than searching for the missing son.
I think the thing is that even if there's a possibility they find the son, he might actually not agree to return home since he ran away after having issues with the mom. That might be the reason why they didn't go looking for the son...
takenoko wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:27 pm To be fair, the son was a grown man that ran away from home
Does he seem that old? To me, Kouichirou looks like he's in his late teens, like around 18 or 19, maybe? That's just my opinion, though.
Last edited by Thenosa Yechette on Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Bad news guys, the Nouto have teamed up with some powerful allies:

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:39 am Does he seem that old? To me, Kouichirou looks like he's in his late teens, like around 18 or 19, maybe? That's just my opinion, though.
Yeah, and he clearly moved out the second he was able to. The kissing thing isn't because he was young, it's because he has an overbearing mother who treats him like a tiny child. Based on how she treats Tarou it's easy to see why he'd had enough of her.
Seen:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:39 am
What does this sign mean? I know that the kanji on the cloth means ice but what does having this sign in front of a cafe mean? That they sell shaved ice here or something?

Correct. It's a very common sign to see around town, especially in summer.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:18 pm
Thenosa Yechette wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:39 am

Correct. It's a very common sign to see around town, especially in summer.
How are you guys seeing the image? It's not loading for me

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”