DonBrothers 25 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:26 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
57%
☆☆☆☆
21%
☆☆☆
14%
☆☆
7%
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 25 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.16 of 5 stars (12 votes)

Oh, a rare non CGI Kiji Brother

Haruka, if your friends call you plagiarist, maybe they're not your friends

Haruka you have a job. Why are you getting another one. Actually, Tsuyoshi why don't you work at the cafe, it doesn't seem like Haruka does that much work anyway

I like how Shinichi's resume just says he was born. LOL at Shinichi gettinb burned by money. Is he a vampire

Why is Shinichi tired? That bum should be used to doing nothing and not working lol

I don't know if I'm more impressed by the team coming together to work for each other, or amazed at how this all comes from their poor communication with each otehr lol

Oh hi Tsubasa, nice of you to join this story. Wait, Tsubasa doesn't know you guys are DonBrothers. Oh he's just alone in the kitchen. Kind of sad

Oh hi Nouto, been a while since you were in the story

Inoue hijinx! Some nice moves from Jirou for a bit, but then Momo just joins in
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: DonBrothers 25 discussion thread

Post by Lunagel »

Not a bad episode but I'm kinda getting tired of the whole everyone being a lone wolf schtick. Are we just never going to get a full team henshin? Or even an actual roll call? Sure they're superfluous but they're a staple of the genre, I want to see them occasionally!

We're literally halfway through the series right now and Black still doesn't know who everyone is, no one feels anything like an actual team and Jirou is just sort of there occasionally. It's well past time to start moving the plot forward and yet it seems we're going to be stuck a bit longer, especially if next week is the recap episode that I suspect it is.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:19 pm Not a bad episode but I'm kinda getting tired of the whole everyone being a lone wolf schtick. Are we just never going to get a full team henshin? Or even an actual roll call? Sure they're superfluous but they're a staple of the genre, I want to see them occasionally!

We're literally halfway through the series right now and Black still doesn't know who everyone is, no one feels anything like an actual team and Jirou is just sort of there occasionally. It's well past time to start moving the plot forward and yet it seems we're going to be stuck a bit longer, especially if next week is the recap episode that I suspect it is.
The plot moved forward from ep 1 - 18 and we had filler ep from 19 - now, so the structure of this series with me is better than other series in the past.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I forgot to ask, what's this week's monster of the week have to do with Goggle V? Obviously haven't seen it
Millsy
Favorite series: Zero-One | Donbrothers | Dyna | Makai Senki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O | Lupinranger VS Patranger | Decker | Gold Storm
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by Millsy »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:19 pm Not a bad episode but I'm kinda getting tired of the whole everyone being a lone wolf schtick. Are we just never going to get a full team henshin? Or even an actual roll call? Sure they're superfluous but they're a staple of the genre, I want to see them occasionally!

I think I've read before that Shirakura has said they actually do not like to move the plot forward for Sentai during the summertime, because children have less time to tune into the episodes. They want them to be able to jump back in without losing too much plot so they keep things more episodic during these months. Probably (hopefully) it picks up in September again.

Great episode all around though Kinoue can't miss
watch ultraman ginga it's actually a really fantastic show
HeXaDaast
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Choujuu Sentai Liveman
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Twokaizer
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai
Quote: Everything will turn out right, the world is built on that.

Post by HeXaDaast »

takenoko wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:20 am I forgot to ask, what's this week's monster of the week have to do with Goggle V? Obviously haven't seen it
Surprisingly, quite a lot. Each member of Goggle V is supposed to be based on an ancient civilization that was destroyed by the Deathdark army, which is why he looks like ruins. Each member was also represented by a gemstone, which can be seen below the ruins on Daiki's body. The gym equipment he uses is each member's weapon, a blue ring, black clubs, yellow ball, pink ribbon (and a red rope which I don't think was used in this episode). And the kids he kidnaps are a nod to the Computer Boys and Girls, kids that assisted the team. Finally, when he escapes for the first time, he says "Stop the battle" which is the title of Goggle V's ED.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Nice joke with Kijino promoting traffic safety, given he was the Carranger monster previously.

I liked how the lack of communication actually caused a humorous mi-up this week. And then strains credibility with Tsubasa blissfully unaware what's going on outside.

Next week:
Spoiler
So...they're making a joke that it's the Donbrothers finale because it's the Revice one? Sounds like a clip show to me.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I don't mind episodic storytelling during the summer. You don't need to move the plot forward for character development. The issue is that they have yet to fully bond as a cohesive team. Without this foundation, it is awkward to see them get involved in each other's personal lives like close friends.

This episode relies on a weird game of telephone where each person in the chain embellishes on the original conversation. To make it work, the writing cheats by bending Tarou's established personality. He might not understand people very well, but misunderstanding the context of homophones is a bit of stretch for a Gary Stu.

The urinals at the public restroom where Tsuyoshi changed clothes were unnerving. Having urinals open to the outside with only some fencing for privacy feels so hostile.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Arigomi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:04 pm The urinals at the public restroom where Tsuyoshi changed clothes were unnerving. Having urinals open to the outside with only some fencing for privacy feels so hostile.
oooh right, that's a thing
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

this was a fun little episode. Inuzuka's not been directly involved in the out-of-suit stuff the way everyone else has, so he doesn't even realize how big a deal it is that Tarou gave his cooking a genuine compliment, and I love how they just breeze right past that moment like it's nothing. also loved at the end when Haruka's narrating and Kijino's all "shut uuuup! people finally forgot I was a MotW!"

if next week IS a recap episode, I'm gonna love if it somehow still ends up plot relevant.

like, how great would it be if the CLIP SHOW is how Inuzuka finds out about the rest of the team?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:33 am like, how great would it be if the CLIP SHOW is how Inuzuka finds out about the rest of the team?
I had that prediction too. Inoue "How can I make this recap a must-see affair? I know, secrets revealed! Easy. Inoue out"
AllHailGeats
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by AllHailGeats »

Don’t worry guys I think the show will get better in the second half right?? Right???
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

AllHailGeats wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:27 am Don’t worry guys I think the show will get better in the second half right?? Right???
Well right now it's brilliant, so getting better in the 2nd half might make me die of happiness.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This is the first tokusatsu that I have seen where dark eye shadow did not mean that the character was evil.

Feral Jirou kind of makes a good point.

So Tsuyoshi gets to lose his job but get it back when the bad guy is beaten, just like Kyuusei Sentai Wakusaver Green?

In the clip show episode for next week will they have two new Sentai appearing in shadow?
AllHailGeats wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:27 am Don’t worry guys I think the show will get better in the second half right?? Right???
Good question! I am hoping that in the second half:

* We find out who the big evil is in this show (if any). Will it be Mother, The Nouto, The Beastials, Jin, Kaito, Momoi, Natsumi/Miho, bad bunny? Or, maybe this alternate dimension is Dys-Topia where everyone is a latent MOTW.

* We get separate redemption arcs for the Nouto (if they are not big evil).

* We get a love interest for Haruka that causes the members of the Sentai Host Club to confront their true feelings.

* We get more awesomeness from the Jyuto Waifu.

* Tsubasa never finds out that his friends are also the sentai that he fights with.

* An episode where Haruka and Sononi are forced to become a dance team to beat a MOTW.

* Sonozo gets a Bishounen makeover.

* We find out the true identity of evil bunny suit mangaka.

* The producers throws in so many shoujo manga cliches that people start forgetting that this is super sentai.

* Sonoi and Momoi get a room.

* Momoi never gets a redemption arc and stays an obnoxious Gary Stu for the rest of the show.
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Kaito saying that heroes don't get paid doesn't make sense with the history of super sentai. The Dekarangers weren't working for free.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”