Kamen Rider Revice 50 Discussion thread

All that exists in my heart is cholesterol...

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:38 pm

★★★★★
25%
★★★★
17%
★★★
33%
★★
8%
17%

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kamen Rider Revice 50 Discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last episode rating: 2.44 of 5 stars (9 votes)

Watched this with Luna and Triple M from the chat. Here's a highlight of commentary:
chat log
[17:35] <Lunagel> does forgetting a contract really make it void?
[17:35] <@takenoko> if only there were a kamen rider lawyer
[17:35] <Lunagel> zolda's too busy wooing old ladies at onsen
[17:36] <@takenoko> lol, the telltale tail
[17:36] <@takenoko> everyone's watching, so sly
[17:36] <Lunagel> I kinda like how ikki's outfit mirrors vice
[17:36] <@takenoko> ooh
[17:36] <@takenoko> I didn't notice that
[17:38] <Lunagel> hey it's been a while since we've done the breathing thing
[17:39] <@takenoko> rip this generation of kids who are breathign on their stamps before using them
[17:40] <|discord|> <Triple M> lol oops i slept through it
[17:40] <Lunagel> restart?
[17:41] <|discord|> <Triple M> wow did revice actually get interesting
[17:41] <Lunagel> no
[17:41] <|discord|> <Triple M> hey didn't george become the ultimate bad guy
[17:41] <|discord|> <Triple M> did he already get over that
[17:41] <@takenoko> he got better
[17:41] <Lunagel> it was like 2 episodes
[17:41] <Lunagel> blink and you miss the henshin
[17:42] <@takenoko> I like how ikki's outfit looks like vice
[17:42] <Lunagel> hey!
[17:45] <Lunagel> do you think the staff got to keep rubber duckies?
[17:46] <@takenoko> nothing like an emotional finale battle like having a slap fight with your buddy
[17:46] <|discord|> <Triple M> is the last episode just them fighting until he defeats his demon
[17:46] <Lunagel> who's singing?
[17:46] <Lunagel> lol george's face
[17:46] <Lunagel> o_o
[17:47] <@takenoko> who are these guys
[17:47] <Lunagel> yeah idk either
[17:47] <@takenoko> are these suit actors?
[17:48] <@takenoko> are these the guest actors from the first half of the series?
[17:48] <Lunagel> what a pointless cameo
[17:48] <@takenoko> the show spent like 30 episodes without guests
[17:48] <|discord|> <Triple M> looooooool
[17:48] <Lunagel> those poor vfx artists that have to put all those screens in
[17:48] <|discord|> <Triple M> this is deeply stupid
[17:48] <Lunagel> christ it is just a slap fight
[17:50] <@takenoko> wow this is so cringey
[17:50] <|discord|> <Triple M> i hate revice
[17:51] <Lunagel> IS REVICE DEAD YET
[17:51] <@takenoko> hey all you guys, stand by and watch this
[17:51] <@takenoko> the audience has to
[17:52] <Lunagel> yeah won't say goodbye because he'll clearly be back in the next movie
[17:53] <Lunagel> aggggh we're only halfway through
[17:55] <@takenoko> so why did ikki disappear from photos if it's just his memories that disappeared?
[17:55] <Lunagel> yeah I was about to say
[17:56] <Lunagel> blue bird?
[17:57] <Lunagel> why?
[17:57] <@takenoko> because a fenix is a red bird
[17:59] <@takenoko> who's this guy
[17:59] <Lunagel> isn't that deadmans?
[17:59] <@takenoko> why did they revive him
[17:59] <|discord|> <Triple M> isn't that the brother's evil side
[17:59] <@takenoko> they did literally nothing with him
[17:59] <|discord|> <Triple M> ohhh yeah that is a deadmans
[17:59] <|discord|> <Triple M> the red one right
[17:59] <Lunagel> no that was the guy in black with the nail polish
[17:59] <|discord|> <Triple M> there was red green and aguilera
[17:59] <@takenoko> are they dating now
[17:59] <Lunagel> too many forgettable chracters
[17:59] <@takenoko> they've spent more time together than anyone else in this story
[17:59] <|discord|> <Triple M> did any story elements actually resolve
[17:59] <Lunagel> I will never get over him saying daddy
[18:01] <@takenoko> all the catchphrases are cringe
[18:01] <|discord|> <Triple M> RIP Kamen Rider
[18:01] <@takenoko> I'd eat that food though
[18:01] <Lunagel> om nom sukiyaki
[18:02] <@takenoko> I think they're literally using the same food from the last episode
[18:02] <Lunagel> probably just filmed at the same time
[18:04] <Lunagel> oh no are we doing more previous rider powers
[18:04] <@takenoko> oh they're just going to cheat to fill that last page
[18:04] <@takenoko> so this last month has been epilogue?
[18:05] <@takenoko> like why did they make this, why was this a 50 episode series
[18:05] <@takenoko> just cut it at 46 when the story ended lol
[18:06] <@takenoko> anyway, thanks for watching it with me
[18:07] <@takenoko> I might have not gotten around to it till next week
[18:07] <Lunagel> time to go complain about it on the forums
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Kamen Rider Revice 50 Discussion thread

Post by Lunagel »

That was a supremely disappointing finale to a frankly pretty bad series. As takenoko said, the climax was four episodes ago with the defeat of Gif(f), this has all been epilogue/filler. Fart jokes and unfulfilling slap fights are not what I want from a finale. Oh, and the EXTREMELY random cameo from a real-life soccer player. WTF

The only highlight of this episode for me was George when he's in group shots and isn't talking because you can see he's already mentally checked out from filming and is working on his resume in his head. His face just looks like this ・_・
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

The first half of the episode felt like a clip show with the return of guest stars, the screens, and the various animal forms that were only used once. The second half of the episode felt like a bunch of web exclusive side stories.

Renaming Fenix to Blue Bird is likely a reference to the blue bird of happiness.

Sakura's desire to attend medical school came out of left field.

Toei probably ordered 50 episodes to synergize with the 50th anniversary. I'm starting to wonder if there is a Kamen Rider anniversary show curse.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

When they advertise every year as an anniversary year it's hard not to have at least a few cursed
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Anohana called, Menma wants her ending back.

I didn't mind this episode too much. It feels like it's meant more to pair up with the first couple of episodes than the last. The soccer guest star i'm kinda cool considering everything that's happened in the past year, Gotta think there's a lot of people in Japan feeling like their time was robbed from them from the lock downs and stuff. This definitely gives you some encouragement to not let that effect you and keep pushing forward anyways.

Can't appreciate how they were trying to get rid of the other two's demons via plot rules. that wasn't how that works out.

About Kamen Rider Lawyer give them time. Wasn't that Ryuki? it's been awhile but i thought they were the series about Lawyers. (i didn't get very far into that series)

Ahh this Series was cool. i'd give it like a 82/100. I'll rewatch it again if it ever get properly subbed >_>.

Another Kamen Rider Series. I swear it feels like yeterday we were just starting it.
SVNBob
Go Go!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by SVNBob »

Arigomi wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:17 pm The first half of the episode felt like a clip show with the return of guest stars, the screens, and the various animal forms that were only used once.

[snip]

Sakura's desire to attend medical school came out of left field.
Pre-snip: perhaps that's why they turned the DonBros episode into a clip show. Same feeling throughout the hour.

Post-snip: Not entirely out of left field. Sakura has met Poppy after all.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I rather enjoyed this show for the most part, but this finale was some serious filler. The entire fight could've been cut out and nobody would have missed it.

As fro the second half "where are they now" sequence, we've had those on and off since Agito, and they're always a welcome way to say goodbye. Seeing Ikki getting back into hos sport and Sakura choosing a profession where she can continue to save lives makes me happy. I'm a little irritated we didn't see Angelina make another cameo during the latter sequence, considering she appeared as one of Sakura's friends for one whole episode, then simply vanished.

All in all, it wasn't the best show, but for something that tried to cram in as many Rider tropes and plot references as possible, it was pretty good. Definitely second best of the Reiwa era thus far. (not that that says much) and better than at least four of the Heisei-era shows.

Unfortunately, I'm just as worried about Geats as I was for Revice, but for different reasons. It seems to be taking the Accel running joke and blending it with the Ryuki fallacy (multiple riders competing in a game for a prize) with hints of Drive. I'll be giving it a shot, of course, but I really dislike this trend of having a million Riders all being introduced from the beginning. Hopefully we'll have at lest one series in Reiwa where we'll get back to having no more than three Riders, but the push to sell toys over having a good story will likely ensure I never get that wish.

However, one positive point is they have another female Rider in the lineup and they did a really good job with Sakura and Aguilera this season, so that gives me at least a little hope moving forward.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

I dropped this series back on episode 8 when it starter the last year. I just finished it after just 3 days from ep 8 to ep 50.

This was basically what you get when you take OOO, Den-O and W and put it into a mixer. Not bad but not good either and barely decent.

I will list what I thing was good and what was bad about the show and after that some overall thoughts.

The good:

The suits: Once again they looked really good except the initial Revice with that horrible Pepto-Bismol pink color. They really wanted to sell as many toys as possible but at least the suits has good designs. The Griffard Rex suits looked really good and it was a nice touch to finally give a good look to Vice and not just to Ikki.

The girls: Sakura and Aguilera were just good enough and what people wanted for Kamen Rider girls for a long time. This time they were actually strong enough and useless but they didn't take any spotlight from the main rider.

The secondary/supporting characters: Vice was clearly a tribute to the Imajin from Den-O, Kagerou was like Ankh from Den-OOO and Love was just different and cute but original too.

A single story most of the time: Probably I liked it more because I saw it all in 3 days but if you have to watch this week by week it may be boring. At least the story was decent enough until Giff was defeated but after that the additional "filler" evil George arc was one of the worst in kamen rider history.

Blood and Deaths: Many characters died which make the story look more serious and that the enemy was actually a real danger.

The bad:

The CGI... way too many and all those animal forces looked really bad. They made the same mistakes they did in Saber. The excessive use of just bad looking CGI....

The deadmen costumes/theme: Tamaki/Julio really looked so freaking stupid in that Mexican suit... it was just bad and I'm glad they just dropped those looks at the middle of the show.

The almost forced Sakura x Aguilera/Hana mini lesbian arc... it was out of context and unnecessary.

In the end the writer had to kill Vice but Love and Kagerou are ok... why? anyway these Japanese writers can't give us a happy ending these days.

Overall I will give this a 6/10 and a "its barely ok" series. So far I think this still below Zero One and Saber but was clearly inspired by previous kamen rider shows.

I have been here watching kamen riders series since the beginning of Den-0 and watched all your guys releases except from Hibiki and I thought that I had watched it all but this one was "good enough" too at least kept me watching it until the end.

One more time... Thank you so much!.
Final Vent!
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

Oh one hand, it's been a very long while that a KR series went up to episode 50, on the other hand they really dragged this series out. Overall i grade this series a D+. I think they are just running out of ideas. They should just go back to the evil secret organization bent on world domination and the lone KR is the world only line of defense. They should have given KR Jean her upgrade much earlier. The series was almost over and she gets a so so upgrade. I hope they do better in the next series.
RobertPal
Go Go!

Post by RobertPal »

Revice isn't active anymore.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

Ghost23 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:44 am Oh one hand, it's been a very long while that a KR series went up to episode 50, on the other hand they really dragged this series out. Overall i grade this series a D+. I think they are just running out of ideas. They should just go back to the evil secret organization bent on world domination and the lone KR is the world only line of defense. They should have given KR Jean her upgrade much earlier. The series was almost over and she gets a so so upgrade. I hope they do better in the next series.
THIS!

The very first KR series I got to watch was the first five episodes of Ryuki. They were great, but it was years before I was able to watch the rest and found the budget immediately blew out after those episodes and it became a dredge with a hero that couldn't make up his mind and far too many Riders that were there for toy sales rather than story.

On the flip side, the first KR series I got to see after the first five episodes of Ryuki was Agito and I was able to watch the whole thing. Three main Riders that paid homage to the three TYPES of Rider (mutant, mystical, and cyborg) and a reliance on plot over everything else, a strong female lead (especially for the character's age), and an experience that makes it still one of my Top 5 KR series of all time.

It's one thing when you have up to three Riders in a series and a focus on plot. It's another when you keep trying to pull the Battle Royale theme and use so many Riders you have to scrap any substance just to fit it in. Ryuki started this mess, but it's a theme they keep coming back to - including Saber and now Geats. And so far, every Battle Royale series has been a flop in my book, with the only exceptions being the Gaim and Zero-One (both of which focused on only a couple Riders at a time before adding more so they could focus on story).

If I could have A KR series, I'd want one that lines up with Kamen Rider: The First in terms of tone and balance. We know Shocker is still around in the multiverse and quite active. So give us the dark cinematography of that movie and the early Heisei with Shocker or one of its branches as the main villain. Give us a hero who's converted but escapes to become the hero. No major gimmicks and a focus on PRAC instead of CGI effects. As the series progresses, add in the two other types of Rider and keep it to three total. It should be dark with some humour interspersed, deep plot, and heavy reliance of traditional filmmaking. Amazons proved they can still do this.

With less CGI, the budget could be smaller. Toy sales could simply be the Riders, their Mashin and drivers,, and actually put more focus on action figures and playsets that include villains and regular supporting characters. Kids need to get back to actual toys anyway, and there are some third party companies that make amazing figures that TOEI and Bandai could do a license with for higher-tier collectible toys while Bandai focuses on the usual cheaper ones.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop

Return to “Kamen Rider Revice”