DonBrothers 27 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:56 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
53%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
7%
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 27 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 3.33 of 5 stars (12 votes)

Silent transformation nice

The DonBrothers abusing their teleporting powers to get drinks. Why are these guys all at the pool? It's like going to the park with your coworkers that you don't get paid to be with lol

Liked Sonoi instantly being out of the pool

Do pool balls smell, what is Sonoza doing

Is this a side of the Toei roof we haven't seen before? Oh no, Sonoi's fashionable clothes!

Oh, we're no longer at the park. Was it worth going to film at the park for just a couple minutes of footage?

Tarou so dramatic

Nice job with those flowers and the red and blue balls. Such fun imagery in this episode. Why a stripe yellow ball but no blue ball for Saru Brother?

What manga is Kaito readinG?

lol where are those tumbleweeds coming from?

What? It's this lady again? Well, clearly getting the monster beat out of her didn't fix her personality. Oh, Sonoi kissed her the way master did

Sonoi goes for a lover's suicide

Master is reading Angel of the Lakeshore (湖畔の天使)

lol, I like that the ninja guy is now into dnd

Hey, maybe go more easier on the Jyuto. Maybe they can still be saved

Is this Inoue's way of compressing the story to make up for the summer lol

Tarou and Sonoi ran off together, and now are dressing each other's wounds using their own cloth

Huh. I'm guessing that's not the last we'll see of Sonoi, but wasn't expecting them to actually get to the duel. It's kind of cool, but why is Murasame just showing up to carry him away?

While a bit all over the place, I enjoyed this episode and it was fun to see all the callbacks. 5 stars for me this time
RobertPal
Go Go!

Re: DonBrothers 27 discussion thread

Post by RobertPal »

How was the SHT Outro?
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

this was a neat little episode. fun, quick lore dump about the Jyuto and Murasame, and also we learn that people can become MotW more than once. wonder if that'll ever be relevant again (glances at Kijino), or if it's just an excuse to use a character who'd have a reason to attack Tarou from out of nowhere.

also, the fact that it was Murasame who took Sonoi's body instead of the other Nouto seems significant, and I'm curious where that's going.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>wonder if that'll ever be relevant again (glances at Kijino)

It'd be great if he became another monster. This is what happens when you use being defeated as a monster as a way for character growth instead of therapy

>also, the fact that it was Murasame who took Sonoi's body instead of the other Nouto seems significant, and I'm curious where that's going.

It's weird because Sonoi is listed on the Asahi page, which they only do after a monster is killed. Is the actor doing some side project? I just don't understand why kill Sonoi off here (or make a feint of it)
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Tsuyoshi prayed to God, and then it cut to Kaito smirking. Subtle Toei, very subtle.

The other week Shirakura mentioned that now the summer was over, stuff like "major characters being killed off " could resume. And since you can't really kill off heroes in Sentai as easily as Rider, Sonoi dying is the logical step. Plus it was kind of expected given the next-time preview.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Did they do a pop up battle royal as a homage to Kamen Rider Geats?

I will be very confused if Momoi is not the big evil. He's acts sus all season and doesn't care that Sonoi's body is carried off by an enemy of both his and Sonoi? And, the Jyuto were created by Momoi's family? Does this mean that feral Jirou is a Jyuto?

I guess it's a good idea to have swimsuits and death in the same episode.

If Momoi and Sonoi are both Nouto, why did Momoi go to the shadow realm when he died and Sonoi just keels over? Did Sonozo have the idea to save Sonoi by convincing him to carry a copy of Mizuki's manga in his shirt pocket so Sonoi is only knocked out (but the manga is cut in two)?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well, that happened. I'm not sure what that was supposed to be, but it transpired none the less.

After far too many weeks of light episodes, it's nice to get back to something a little meatier. But there are enough ideas in play here for at least 3 full episodes. So it's something of an unsatisfying sampler of Sentai, rather than digging in to one good plot.

More than anything else, I don't understand why Sonoi and Tarou are having a duel again. As Kijino already pointed out, they've already done it once - Tarou died, and then he came back. So what is the purpose of all of this? Also, why are you killing off the lead antagonist 27 episodes in? I'm utterly dumbstruck here.

At the very least, the stunties and camera crew earned their keep this week. The choreography of the various fights was excellent (something DonBros has been lacking in the past several weeks), with Sonoi's actor putting in a lot of work there. Meanwhile I can only imagine how much of a pain in the butt it was to film those pool scenes - especially going down a water slide.
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:56 pm Liked Sonoi instantly being out of the pool
Instantly out of the pool, but still soaking wet in his blue suit. That was a good gag. :lol:
lol, I like that the ninja guy is now into dnd
Well he certainly has the beard to be a wizard. It's an odd way to recycle a character, but admittedly they didn't exactly have a bunch of spare time to properly establish the MOTW.
Is this Inoue's way of compressing the story to make up for the summer lol
You laugh. But it certainly feels like it. And that's not necessarily a good thing.
takenoko wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:00 pm It's weird because Sonoi is listed on the Asahi page, which they only do after a monster is killed. Is the actor doing some side project? I just don't understand why kill Sonoi off here (or make a feint of it)
Well shoot. That's not a good sign. Has the actor been spotted with flowers?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

He tweeted on the 22nd saying he just finished work and Sonoza was in the background, but the he also tweeted on the 28th and slightly after broadcast with essentially "thanks for everything I had fun"

I dunno, seemed pretty final buuuuut haven't seen flowers and Murasame carrying off the body was pretty ambiguous
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

A fairly good episode with balancing the serious and comical stuff.

Is it even fair for them to use their powers for getting drinks?

Sonoi just shows up in the pool like that. And I thought Sonoza was the creepy one....

Shin'ichi' wore his muffler/neck thingy to the pool? 😶😶

Is the blue pool ball supposed to substitute for both Sonoi and Sarubrother?

It's refreshing to see the villain training instead of the red ranger to prepare for their duel. It's usually the other way around. This makes Sonoi's character more like a proper warrior. Also, love that we are seeing so many out of suit fight scenes from Sonoi.

Tarou's strength comes from his pain....? What the heck does that mean?

At least we know that the Nouto care for each other.... That's nice. Specifically Sonoza's line...

So the others won't even go there to see how the duel goes?

Is Tarou the kind of guy to call his friends to let them know if he has won? 🤔🤔

They had to bring this annoying old lady too for this episode?

Why are we seeing the same scene twice in an episode? Just start fighting already!

The moon... Wow. Nice fight scene.

How can the other Nouto and Zenkaizer Black know whether or not the fight has started?

Why is Jirou interrupting the duel?

Don Murasame... What strange timing...

Apparently the Oono guy is based on Yakumo... Ninja and Magic... That's what they said on the Toei website at least... This probably means that instead of getting a new guest for every Hitotsuki, they might also reuse the actors for the old Hitotsukis for other Hitotsukis.

Why are they leaving us hanging? What was Don Murasame assigned to do? Kill the Jyuuto? Seal them again? Then why are they fighting the Donbrothers and Nouto instead of the Jyuuto?

Do the 2 Jirous have to keep talking every time while forming the Robo? And why is Jirou continuing the tradition of saying everything out loud as every part is put in place? It's annoying.

They finally decided to use their duet ...🙂

Well, that was an awfully short duel for something with a LOT of build-up... Almost, anticlimactic. But it was strangely good.... So, Sonoi didn't blow up/disappear, which is usually what happens at the end of duels like these when the enemy is defeated... Should we still consider him dead? Moreover, Don Murasame came to take the body (I don't get why, though). If he's dead, is his body still important to him? They're not gonna hold a Nouto funeral with his body, right? So I won't say he's dead, yet. And if so, I hope to see him again soon. He was a good character...

So, next time, they're bringing back the female Kaitou trope.... after 10 (🧐🤔) years, if I'm not mistaken. Let's see how that'll go... I feel that it may be a bit similar to something I've already seen...

Also, I am always so annoyed by the fact that 2 Sentai cast members and 3 Rider cast members appear in the SHT outro. But Geats took it a step further and added 1 more, which made it 4 people from Geats show up in the outro!! Why? Why do more Rider cast members show up in the outro? Everytime!!?? At least it was different for the Revice and Donbrothers one, but they made it worse for Geats... At least they could've added Haruka to the outro... She's the heroine.... 🙁☹️😥😢
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:56 pm Is this a side of the Toei roof we haven't seen before?
If you're talking about the place where the Nouto are fighting, I'm not sure if it's the Toei roof. But it's definitely been used before in Sentai. Multiple times. From the top of my head: LvP Girlfriends Army, Kiramager episode 40, and if I'm not wrong, it's also the place where Marvelous fights Zocks in ZenKiraSen.

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:56 pm lol where are those tumbleweeds coming from?
Maybe from Toei's attempt to try and make this waiting scene dramatic 😅 (and funny).
takenoko wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:00 pm It's weird because Sonoi is listed on the Asahi page, which they only do after a monster is killed. Is the actor doing some side project? I just don't understand why kill Sonoi off here (or make a feint of it)
Listed as what on the TV Asahi page?
ViRGE wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:42 pm Meanwhile I can only imagine how much of a pain in the butt it was to film those pool scenes - especially going down a water slide.
If you're interested, this is how they filmed the water slide scene (sourced from the Toei website):

Alternative link if the picture isn't visible to anyone:
https://64.media.tumblr.com/09fc3928ff8 ... db75c6.jpg
Last edited by Thenosa Yechette on Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I assume the massive heat wave going through Tokyo about 6 weeks ago played a large part in deciding to shoot poolside.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:00 am If you're interested, this is how they filmed the water slide scene (sourced from the Toei website):

Alternative link if the picture isn't visible to anyone:
https://64.media.tumblr.com/09fc3928ff8 ... db75c6.jpg
One day Toei will post behind the scenes pictures in a resolution higher than 440x293.

Honestly, I was expecting the cameraman to be laid on his front looking back at her. Cause how he's sat there, I'd have thought it'd be almost impossible to actually aim the camera at Kotoha.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Listed as what on the TV Asahi page?

When a monster dies they get listed on the site. Their pic is posted along with their stats. That's why it's kind of annoying when there's a two parter, because you don't get the monster information till part two
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:00 am Do the 2 Jirous have to keep talking every time while forming the Robo? And why is Jirou continuing the tradition of saying everything out loud as every part is put in place? It's annoying.
Hear, hear!
If you're interested, this is how they filmed the water slide scene (sourced from the Toei website):
That's a neat picture. Thanks Thenosa!
HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:26 am One day Toei will post behind the scenes pictures in a resolution higher than 440x293.

Honestly, I was expecting the cameraman to be laid on his front looking back at her. Cause how he's sat there, I'd have thought it'd be almost impossible to actually aim the camera at Kotoha.
Ditto. I figured the cameraman was going down in reverse in order to face the actress. The fact that they got usable shots with the cameraman facing forward is actually rather impressive.
Lunagel wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:16 am I assume the massive heat wave going through Tokyo about 6 weeks ago played a large part in deciding to shoot poolside.
If the boss says we're doing a day at the pool in the middle of summer, I for one am not going to argue. :lol:

Edit: Oh, and @Takenoko, you forgot to link the threads/wikis on your front page post
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oops. Thanks!
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

The red spider lilies are associated with final goodbyes. It pretty much means that Sonoi is truly dead. On the other hand, the actor might return as another character. He might become the host body for Don Murasame.

Don Murasame is probably similar to a Jyuto. If the Jyuto need host bodies like Miho, it stands to reason that Don Murasame also needs one to have a stable form in the human world.

If the Jyuto are unkillable, why do they even need to retreat?

I'm annoyed by the dumb motivations behind Tarou and Sonoi's duel. They are enemies because of the history of the Don clan, and cannot get past their ideological differences to find some kind of compromise. Their only solution is to rely on violence that will most likely result in more problems in the future. The way everyone accepts it as a foregone conclusion is so frustrating.

Sonoi's suicidal strategy didn't feel justified. The duel didn't have any clearly defined stakes for it to make sense. There is no sense of desperation. There is no indication time is running out. Tarou delaying their duel to prioritize his delivery job showed how pointless it all was.

The song clashed with the mood conveyed by the scene. The upbeat jazz melody works against the somber imagery.

It's funny how Tsuyoshi seems to spend a lot of his free time away from Miho. I guess Miho's job as a hairdresser has her working long hours.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”