No votes

Total votes: 22
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Re: KR Geats 01 discussion thread

Post by Arigomi »

The Polar Bear Rider looks so weird. The giant helmet looks like the kind worn by DJs like Deadmau5 and Marshmello.

It looks their power levels are reflected in how many pieces of armor the suit has. Those starting out just have a helmet.

Keiwa is going to be the tanuki Rider because he likes tanuki soba.

At some point, Ukiyo Ace is going to eat kitsune soba.

Why did they choose the poison attribute for the Bull themed Rider? Even if they got tired of using a spider, scorpion or snake for the design, there are still other options like a lizard, frog, centipede, or pufferfish.

The "Revolve On" form change looks painful.

I'm skeptical of the battle royale premise. It will take a lot to convince me that they can do something fresh and interesting with a concept that has already been done to death.
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

Ashki wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:51 am Kabuto/W/Ex-Aid - The arrogant main Rider with a focus on the secondary Rider, plus (once again) the infamous Accel joke.
WDYM, W had all of the main focus on Shotaro/Philipp.
Accel was a secondary protagonist, not unlike many other secondary riders.

Though I must say I do enjoy this "offset" perspective in this season, for variety's sake
Ashki wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:51 am Much better first impression than I was expecting, but still very wary about it. The copying is also strong with this one, which makes me worry.
I mean, most of those are just tropes at that point..? It's like saying shounen X copied hot-blooded-slightly-dumb-but-kind-hearted protagonist from shounen Y

Also,
Do we have the first-ever OBASAN-rider or what?
I know she's a one-off extra, but what a twist it would have been if she were became an important character!
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

Lunagel wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:38 am I don't think I've seen a premiere this good since possibly Shinkenger. Hopefully they can keep up the pace/energy
Wow that's a looong wait to be impressed, yet, truly a person of class and culture to hold everything to the Shinkenger standard.

but yeah, this was great! and the 2 different powers that fuse and change shirt and pants parts is really neat!

i wonder where "geats" comes from?
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

WOW! That's a really cool first episode! Welcome back Kamen Rider franchise (after two failed series in a row, LOL).

PS: Gosh, Geats has three forms all in EPISODE ONE! Bet this will be one of those series with a massive number of different forms. To the point you loose track of them. Not that I mind too much, tho.

PS2: I thought the polar bear rider was a panda :')

Love the actors, love the riders, absolutely love the fights and looks of everything! This gonna be good!
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

midorininger wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:15 pm i wonder where "geats" comes from?
It's either some kind of wordplay on kitsune or just plain kitsune but changed to be a "cool name", since other riders also seem have their animals in their names.
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

It's only the first episode, so I don't have much of a opinion non this other then the fact that the rider design is way better then Revice, but the story concept isn't that interesting. The entire world they live in is a game and it resets when there is one rider left and it starts all over again and all those that dies comes back with no memory of what had happen in the previous world. I hope they goes on to explain why this is and how this came to be and is there a solution to this rinse and repeat or this series would get old and repetitive real fast.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I finally got some free time to watch this, and I see Anon is subbing it. They haven't subbed a KR series yet; hopefully this is a sign that Geats will be a good series.

I won't throw too much shade at Blade and Revice since I didn't bother to watch them. But at the same time, of all of the series in the last few years, this is the first one that doesn't feel boring and/or stupid right off the bat. We'll see if the concept lives up to the potential, but I'm coming into this series with more optimism than I've had in the past couple of years.

That said, this is a pretty typical Kamen Rider episode 1 mindscrew. I'm sure all of this will make sense in due time, but right now it's a lot to unpack.

The biggest takeaway I have is that not only is it an incredibly in media res start, but if you had asked me who the lead character is (without giving me any names), I would have assumed it was Keiwa, not Ace. The former is the embodiment of the newbie hero tropes, whereas nothing about this first episode makes Ace look like a hero. I have to assume that, in broad strokes, this series is going to be more about Ace changing his world-view than it is Ace reaching the point where he can defeat the evil villain to save the world. A journey about why to save the world instead of how to save the world.

I don't imagine episode 2 will explain everything either. But hopefully it gives us enough to work with to get a good understanding for where this series intends to go.
HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:56 am Wow, rest in pieces, Kyoryu Blue. Is that the quickest Rider death ever?
Oh, so that's who that was! I thought he looked familiar. Though he's taller than I remember.

It's a shame they killed him off in the very first episode.:( I always liked the actor. But I also get why they don't want to have a Sentai alum as a regular character in a Rider series.
Lunagel wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:38 am Maybe it's just me but if I was going to run away from home I wouldn't live broadcast it
Yeah, I had the same thought. It's just kind of an odd way to introduce the character, doing something so obviously poorly thought out. It gives me the impression that for pacing/runtime reasons they needed to have the same scene show off that she was a popular media figure and bring out a couple of bodyguards for the mooks to later beat up.
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:15 pm 3) since the last we saw of Keiwa's sister was her being trapped in the noodle place, and then don't see her again after the world resets, is it just that she's not there because he wasn't meeting up with her for this meal where he got given a belt, or was she erased from the timeline?
She was apparently on the outside of the arena (lucky her). So I have to assume she'll be fine. Otherwise, why bother introducing a character like that over multiple scenes when she won't be back?
Kurow wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:43 pm I will give this one a 4/5 just because the CGI was bad (as always)
You aren't wrong there. Geats' intro fight had entirely too much CGI; even as of a few years ago, KR series went with a lighter touch here. Which is why I like the buffalo dude's intro fight instead, as that one was a lot more grounded in terms of practical effects and fight choreography.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

ViRGE wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:23 amThe biggest takeaway I have is that not only is it an incredibly in media res start, but if you had asked me who the lead character is (without giving me any names), I would have assumed it was Keiwa, not Ace. The former is the embodiment of the newbie hero tropes, whereas nothing about this first episode makes Ace look like a hero. I have to assume that, in broad strokes, this series is going to be more about Ace changing his world-view than it is Ace reaching the point where he can defeat the evil villain to save the world. A journey about why to save the world instead of how to save the world.
personally, it just feels like Kabuto 2.0, what with "here's a dude who's 100% going to be a kamen rider, but he's still a newbie (keiwa/kagami) and here's the actual named rider of the series, who's already a super cool dude who can kick a bunch of ass (ace/tendou), so while there's definitely a non-zero chance of Ace's worldview changing being a focus, there's also precedent for the show to just be "Ace has no major character arc, and is instead more of a running plot element to bounce all the other characters off of so we can explore how they change over the series."
ViRGE wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:23 amBut I also get why they don't want to have a Sentai alum as a regular character in a Rider series.
I mean, that's never stopped them before. Shinken Gold was one of the longer running villains in Saber, as an example. and at the same time, don't forget TheBee/Kick Hopper being Go-on Gold. they might've just wanted him as a cameo because he looks like the rugged firefighter type, or he might not even be 100% dead, and we'll get a shocking twist at some point, for all we know?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:23 am It's a shame they killed him off in the very first episode.:( I always liked the actor. But I also get why they don't want to have a Sentai alum as a regular character in a Rider series.
They bring back old actors all the time. Off the top off of my head:

Kamen Rider V3/Aoranger/Big One/The Ohranger mentor

Battle Kenya/Denzi Blue/Uchu Keiji Gavan

Change Pegasus/Dragonranger

Deka Yellow/Kyoryu Cyan

Deka Green/Gosei Green

Ninja Red/Kuro Kishi

Magi Yellow/Beet Buster

Gokai Yellow/Washi Pink

Kamen Rider TheBee/Punch Hopper/Go-On Gold

Kamen Rider Garren/Libra Horoscopes

Kamen Rider Kyoki/Kamen Rider Zeronos

And way more I can't be bothered to list. I know most of those are within the same franchise, but that's irrelevant. The kids don't notice. Most of the kids watching weren't even born when Kyoryuger aired. And if they're old enough to realise it's Kyoryu Blue, they're old enough to understand what an actor is.

Oh, and special shout out to them killing off Zamigo and having the actor appear 2 weeks later as Kamen Rider Kikai.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Ashki wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:51 am I'm trying to remember the game or show that had someone with a big bear head, but drawing a blank. Pity that character died, but seriously, that head/helmet is terrible!
Jinno from Afro Samurai
Final Vent!
Actar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hanasaki Tsubomi
My boom: Stuff
Quote: Love what do do, do what you love.

Post by Actar »

Geats 100% lived up to the hype and then some. That was one of the best first episodes of a Rider series I've seen in a while. It's so, so refreshing. Where do I even begin?

I really, really liked how the main Rider is just overconfident and overpowered right out of the bat, and it seems that he's not even going to be the character we as the audience sympathize with the most. It reminds me of the Tendo/Kagami dynamic from Kabuto. I also like how Sakurai starts off the series applying for a job and having his idealism shut down by reality. Great motivation for competing in the Desire Grand Prix.

I'm just curious about how (or even why) Geats is going to continue participating in the tournament, considering the fact that he's already won it already. Does he want another wish? What was his wish before? Here's hoping that they are able to keep him interesting and maintain that overconfident air that he has.

There's also a sense of weight and gravitas to the Desire Grand Prix, thanks to the lack of any kind of obtrusive slapstick comedy and goofy editing that recent Rider shows have been known for. Speaking of which, with Boost flying off at the end, does Geats have to go find it every time he uses the special or finisher, or was that just a comedy thing? Regardless, I was absolutely glued to the screen from start to finish. Needless to say, all the suits and action were top-notch.

Really looking forward to following this one weekly. Haven't really been doing that since Gaim.
Video Reviewer of Anime Figures, Mecha and Merchandise. ( ̄‿‿ ̄)
- Channel - Blog
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Mikadius wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:35 pm
Ashki wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:51 am Kabuto/W/Ex-Aid - The arrogant main Rider with a focus on the secondary Rider, plus (once again) the infamous Accel joke.
WDYM, W had all of the main focus on Shotaro/Philipp.
Accel was a secondary protagonist, not unlike many other secondary riders.
The W reference was partially regarding the use of two modes in one suit that could also be used as a single piece suit (ex: Joker in the Lost Driver vs Joker/Cyclone in the W Driver).

The arrogant main Rider and focus on the secondary Rider is from Kabuto, where you are led do dislike the main Rider while rooting for the ZECT agent who was SUPPOSED to become Kabuto and later became the secondary Rider instead.

Accel was a joke Rider in W based on a one-liner from Kabuto. The joke was again played out in Ex-Aid with a Rider turning into a motorcycle. In Geats, the logo even uses the Accel symbol plus some of the boost items emulate the handlebar activator of the Accel Driver.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”