DonBrothers 28 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:25 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆☆
56%
☆☆☆
11%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 9
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 28 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.23 of 5 stars (13 votes)

Looks like this'll be a fun Tsubasa episode. Interesting framing to have half the scene unused

Aren't you a maid, Haruka? Why are you eating with Saru Brother?

Oh hey pink and his boss are here too

This love dialogue is very Inoue

Feel like this is the first monster who's retained as much of her original identity as she did

Animation is alright this time. Looks good and I like the horse entrance, hopefully that's not overdone though

Is it me or is that painting turning ashy like Orphenochs

How did Takeo die again? That's a pretty strange request

Hmm, can't figure out what Master is reading this week

Haruka's faces are great again this week

I mean, that was fun. But A) seems like a weird episode to introduce the big robot? The stakes didn't call for it B) It looks like they're going to be back doing main story stuff next week, so maybe this and the last episode should have been swapped around?
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Re: DonBrothers 28 discussion thread

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:00 am They're not gonna hold a Nouto funeral with Sonoi's body, right?
Whoa... I was only kidding when I said this about the last episode but it seems from the preview that Inoue took it seriously and made it happen for the next episode... :shock: :o :!: :lol:
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Is Haruka blowing a balloon someone's fetish? I'm looking at you, Inoue
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

A very shoujo manga style episode with a little lip service to this being a super sentai show. We had phantom thieves, art modeling, a girl who conveniently carries around a mega phone, and Haruka failing at being a model but thinking she did well. Since this is a kids show I guess they couldn't have the subplot that the artist didn't like the girl "in that way" and was with (during the time period of the painting) the apprentice, but broke up with the apprentice when the apprentice did not develop the required talent.

I was really expecting this to be the episode where the baka sentai realize that Tsubasa is pupper (since he was randomly at the art auction) but no. I guess they are saving this for the 10 year reunion movie.

So, the police Jyuko resigned as opposed to being fired for never doing his job? I guess the police union in Japan is strong.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Really, Inoue? Gonna have Tarou morph right there and have Tsubasa JUST miss it?

Can we talk about how they did a whole phantom thief episode without so much as a Lupinranger Avatar Change?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:00 pm Can we talk about how they did a whole phantom thief episode without so much as a Lupinranger Avatar Change?
I am very shocked t his wasn't the lupinranger gear. Besides the explosion, motw's relevance to past sentai?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Man, this series continues to confuse the hell out of me. We've gone from killing off the lead face villain to an unrelated, stand-alone episode about stealing art, and all the while this episode contained what is undoubtedly one of the most expensive mecha fights of the entire season. The whole thing is giving me whiplash.

As a stand-alone episode, this was decent enough. Despite ostensibly being a black-focus episode, I don't know if we've actually learned anything material about him, nor does his character really develop here. But it certainly had some nice antics, and a mildly touching story involving the model.

Unfortunately it also follows the now DonBros tradition of not trying to resolve the major character conflicts. So we've gone from Black fighting the rest of the team back to status quo without ever seeing Black explain what the heck just happened to the rest of his team. It makes for a distinct lack of consequences, at least in the short-term.

As an aside, have we seen the guest actress somewhere before? She looks familiar, though I can't put my finger on why.

Meanwhile, tacked on to this is a high budget mecha fight and the introduction of this season's cluster-robo. Despite the irreverent nature of the show and the fast-paced nature of the fight, that is actually one of Toei's better works. Typical for cluster-robos these days, there doesn't appear to be a physical suit for this one (:( ), so instead it's an all-CGI creation. And they brought out the A team to do the work. They've pulled a Good Cool Kaiser VSX here by using a highly detailed model with good material shaders, and having it fight a CGI model of the villain. Unfortunately, this also means that we'll probably see those animations reused multiple times with minor dress-ups in order to amortize the costs. Normally, you'd see a new robo formation and fight like this given a grand entrance; but even here DonBros downplays things. I don't understand how Bandai is supposed to sell toys like this, but that's not my problem.

And I won't even get started on the butt attacks... :?

"There is nothing that Cafe Donbura does not have"
Except money, apparently.:lol:
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:25 pm Aren't you a maid, Haruka? Why are you eating with Saru Brother?
Well if the boss wants you to do him a favor outside your normal job duties, he damn well better butter you up
Feel like this is the first monster who's retained as much of her original identity as she did
Agreed. Many of the MOTWs don't even speak. But all of them up until now have gone entirely berserk. That makes this episode interesting, but it fumbles the ball a bit by not explaining why this is happening.
Polonium tea.
I mean, that was fun. But A) seems like a weird episode to introduce the big robot? The stakes didn't call for it B) It looks like they're going to be back doing main story stuff next week, so maybe this and the last episode should have been swapped around?
I had the same thought in the end. It's an oddly disconnected episode placed smack dab in the middle of a plot-heavy two parter. Part of me wonders if this episode was specifically produced to be a floater. That said, it does come right at the point in the season where we'd expect Toei to introduce the cluster-robo, so who knows?

The only thing that's clear is that Inoue doesn't seem to give a hoot about the pageantry that would normally go with the giant robos. All season long these fights have been getting downplayed.
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:13 pm Is Haruka blowing a balloon someone's fetish? I'm looking at you, Inoue
That and popping balloons are indeed both fetishes. And while I'd like to ascribe this to innocent coincidence, Japan. :shock:
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:00 pm Can we talk about how they did a whole phantom thief episode without so much as a Lupinranger Avatar Change?
I third the motion. Between the thief theme and the robo fight, there were a lot of LvP-esque elements that ended up going unaddressed.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>As an aside, have we seen the guest actress somewhere before? She looks familiar, though I can't put my finger on why.

She really stands out doesn't she? I thought she looked familiar too, but I don't think she's been in anything we'd have seen before
Here's her and black https://www.instagram.com/p/CiWOm_oPAbX/
Looks like she went to see Ten Gokaiger last year, so that's always cool https://www.instagram.com/p/CXQq6saFZW-/

While watching the episode I couldn't help but think "I feel like this guest actress (as well as a lot of the guests) probably auditioned for Oni Sister's role too"
Polonium tea.

Assassinated?! But seriously though, he makes a death request and then is just dead? Did they cut the backstory in editing?

>I had the same thought in the end. It's an oddly disconnected episode placed smack dab in the middle of a plot-heavy two parter. Part of me wonders if this episode was specifically produced to be a floater. That said, it does come right at the point in the season where we'd expect Toei to introduce the cluster-robo, so who knows?

I wonder if this was a covid issue and maybe this episode was supposed to come out after next week. I don't know what'll happen next week, but whatever it is would make for a new robo combination a lot more meaningful than this one
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Is Kaito intentionally after the painting to try and fuck with Tsubasa? Since I assume he knows what he's up to, if he's really God.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:05 am
ViRGE wrote:Polonium tea.
Assassinated?! But seriously though, he makes a death request and then is just dead? Did they cut the backstory in editing?
I don't imagine they filmed a backstory. It's one of those things that I'd really like to know, but is technically superfluous to the story. The artist wasn't a major character, so how he died was not material to the story, which only relied on the fact that he did die.
I had the same thought in the end. It's an oddly disconnected episode placed smack dab in the middle of a plot-heavy two parter. Part of me wonders if this episode was specifically produced to be a floater. That said, it does come right at the point in the season where we'd expect Toei to introduce the cluster-robo, so who knows?
I wonder if this was a covid issue and maybe this episode was supposed to come out after next week. I don't know what'll happen next week, but whatever it is would make for a new robo combination a lot more meaningful than this one
Oh that's right, Haruka's actress was out sick with COVID a couple of months ago. This may very well be related, then. Though I doubt we'll ever get to find out for sure.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

The writing feels sloppier than usual. Standalone episodes aren't supposed to raise so many unintentional questions.

- Auction houses will authenticate items and keep them under tight security prior to an auction. You don't accidentally put up a forgery "practice painting" up for auction.
- She claims to be rich, but the bag of blank bills says otherwise.
- If an artist is so dissatisfied with a piece that they want it destroyed, they will do it themselves rather than request someone else do it upon their death.
- If the last request was to burn the painting, there are far easier avenues to do so than becoming a phantom thief.

I expected more from the story than a poorly written romantic encounter. Miscommunication followed by tragedy is a lazy attempt at gravitas. While watching the episode, I came up with the scenario that Mizuho had murdered artist Takeo and the painting contained a clue that connected her to the crime. That would explain why she went to the auction in disguise and had to destroy the painting.

Panning the camera 360 degrees seemed to have a purpose since assistant Sano was in it. Unfortunately, it didn't amount to much once Mizuho revealed who he was.

Why does the combined mecha need a phantom horse? Is there even a toy associated with the phantom horse?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>- She claims to be rich, but the bag of blank bills says otherwise.

But she talks rich!

>- If an artist is so dissatisfied with a piece that they want it destroyed, they will do it themselves rather than request someone else do it upon their death.

This part is pretty weak.

>Why does the combined mecha need a phantom horse? Is there even a toy associated with the phantom horse?

I think more mecha need horses, but yeah, I guess they didn't want to animate the clusterfuck walking or running around with all its bits
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

A decent episode... But I wish they at least brought up Sonoi's death here. They don't address it and we don't even know how Sononi and Sonoza react to all of this... Yet.

So, Mizuho shares a few similarities with Saotome Reika in a few ways, like being a お嬢様 in real life and the controlling the ranger to do their bidding. Except Mizuho is quite naive. Also, is she from the LvP world, by any chance? Then why does she think a wanted ranger means that they are a Kaitou?

Mizuho announced it pretty loud both times. How come no one looked at them or reported Tsubasa?

Since when does Zenkaizer Black bribe the Donbrothers to make them do things... Cuz that scene where he was convincing Haruka and Shin'ichi to get the painting while they were both eating seemed like he was bribing them... That explains why Haruka would be eating the food on a day she's supposed to work there.

Haruka looks great in a suit!! She should wear stuff like that more often. I don't even mind seeing her wear it everyday.

Shouldn't Tsubasa have covered his face when coming here? This is a very public place where he can be seen and reported by anyone.

Lol at Shin'ichi and Haruka having no signal when trying to talk to Zenkaizer Black...

Kibi Dango? I thought Cafe DonBura has a lot of money too... Lol

Were they really a couple? I think these 2 never dated and Mizuho was only a model to Takeo. Mostly their interactions make me confused.

Why is Haruka continuously fake calling Zenkaizer Black? Not believable at all... And what the heck with the Kibi Dango joke?

Did the Hitotsukis always have access to those portal doors? I don't remember...

Wow, she actually used that card... And only by scribbling over her name which is still totally visible...

He 'accidentally' sold the fake one? This is so ridiculous...

Bitter enemies? Does Tarou actually consider Jirou as their enemy?

Has the boat always been this detailed and unique? I suddenly appreciate it more now that I have actually noticed it...

I kinda like the CGI horse... It has a pair of sunglasses...

Shut it with the 'Explosions'- I agree with Jirou... Lol.

Why did they use their butts as a mech final attack... 😑😶

So these 2 actually love each other? I'm confused... 🤨🤨

Wow, I've never seen Zenkaizer Black so excited before... Now I almost feel pity that he didn't get that painting...
Why did he expect them to win the auction, though? And since they went there to bring the painting for Zenkaiger Black, why didn't they bring it to him when they were asked to protect it? They went there to bring it back, right?

Why is Haruka so happy? She looks very ugly in the painting...

Zenkaizer Black's walking away scene was so good. The most entertaining... All of a sudden, I think Zenkaizer Black does deserve to be crowned MVP of Donbrothers, lol.

Next episode seems intense... Looking forward to it.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Bitter enemies? Does Tarou actually consider Jirou as their enemy?

It's an idiom:

1. bitter enemies in the same boat; rivals finding themselves together by chance​
https://jisho.org/search/%E5%91%89%E8%B ... C%E8%88%9F

>Why is Haruka so happy? She looks very ugly in the painting...

Well she is an egotist. Probably is excited for anything that involves her
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:24 pm >Why is Haruka so happy? She looks very ugly in the painting...

Well she is an egotist. Probably is excited for anything that involves her
This is the girl who's been kidnapped twice and was happy about it both times. She's clearly got a screw loose.
Seen:

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”