Total votes: 17
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Re: KR Geats 02 discussion thread

Post by resop2 »

Is it a Japanese thing to assume that no one would ever ask Tsumuri if there was a downside to being a Kamen Rider? And, if someone did ask and when hearing that 90% of the Riders will typically die a horrible death did the say no and have Tsumuri kill them out of spite?

I guess this isn't Kamen Rider VR (like Garo VR) because more than one person can (and does) survive the game.

Are the players honor bound not to attack each other, or is that impractical since the players need all the help they can get in handling the "men in black Hunters"?

Will they have a Kamen Rider Dragon?

Is the end game of this show that Geats throws the game because he cannot think of a wish since he has won so many times? And, was his first wish "I wish I can always win this game"?
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

Another very good episode! It seems that Geats does know something that we still don't. Specially after he donated the money to the kid, and after the ending scene saying there is 'some exceptions'.
The classical super hero is obviously not Geats, it's the other guy! Wishing for world peace and all. Apparently, they'll develop a relationship where Geats teaches him to be stronger and he teaches Geats to be more soft hearted. That's how I see this series coming.
Also, I guess this is the first time when the turning point of the main (not really main this time, but whatever) character where he decides to fight for real is shown in episode 2, not episode 1! And he didn't even fight for real yet! This shows me that this is probably gonna be a series a little out of the box. Which is to be expected given the writer.

Hope they keep this vibe! It's all really cool so far.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

resop2 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:55 pm Are the players honor bound not to attack each other, or is that impractical since the players need all the help they can get in handling the "men in black Hunters"?
The butler said there was no fighting allowed in the DGP lounge. He didn't say they couldn't fight each other elsewhere. On the other hand, fighting each other probably doesn't earn you any points for winning the DGP since the goal is to protect civilians from the Jyamato.

They went hard into the otaku stereotype with one of the participants. He had glasses, a bandana on his head, a plaid shirt, jeans, and a backpack.

When Keiwa was talking to Taira at the stream, I predicted that Taira's motivation would be the cliché about a sick/dying loved one. When the sad music kicked in, I sighed. The mandatory family photograph was the icing on the predictable cake.

The Jyamato during this episode were wearing civilian clothes this time. It makes me wonder if they were previous Riders that were eliminated early in the DGP. Using a wish to bring back people that were eliminated isn't so hard if the people were never really dead.

The random acquisition of gear is clearly inspired by video games like Fortnite. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduced a combat zone that shrinks in diameter to prevent Riders from avoiding combat.

It's disappointing to see that the different powers have nothing to do with the animal of their Rider Core ID.

Ace was being a jerk, but I don't think he is as insufferable as Tendou from Kabuto. He didn't have to tell Keiwa that he lied. He is probably trying to signal to Keiwa not to trust anyone. They are definitely under surveillance by the DGP staff. This confession also shows that winning the DGP isn't his true goal. I wouldn't be surprised if Ace left his Desire Card blank, making the hooded DGP guy worried about his true intentions.
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

Arigomi wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:44 pm
Ace was being a jerk, but I don't think he is as insufferable as Tendou from Kabuto. He didn't have to tell Keiwa that he lied. He is probably trying to signal to Keiwa not to trust anyone. They are definitely under surveillance by the DGP staff. This confession also shows that winning the DGP isn't his true goal. I wouldn't be surprised if Ace left his Desire Card blank, making the hooded DGP guy worried about his true intentions.
Hmm... I'm not sure I agree. He did use one desire to become famous and powerful (a very selfish desire). But the fact that he donated money to the sick kid does show he's got a kind heart. I believe the path they will follow is having the new guy making Ace's kind heart more and more apparent, while Ace will make the new guy tougher to be able to handle battles.
Bottom line, I believe Ace does have a good heart, but it's not acting accordingly just yet. He'll be more and more kind as his friendship with newbee develops.

That's how I see it, anyway. Only time will tell.
Mikadius
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Mikadius »

Lol, so much for "battle royale" season if they eleminate most of the participants immediately, and now we've only got 6.
And Mary probably doesn't have too long to live either, since he's way old to be an action hero in a children's show and he also didn't get much interaction with other participants <_<

I'm officially calling the monsters of this season "dickheads" because it just feels appropriate, if you know what I mean

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:38 pm I like these boxes falling out of these monsters that were obviously not there before
TBH that feels very video game-y, which is what this season seems to be going for in it's theming

Surprised they've just revealed main-but-not-titular's character's wish outright in the 2nd episode. That was rather anti-climactic for what's supposed to be the main focal point of the whole shebang or something. There's probably some kind of twist with the whole grand prix thing coming, huh..?
On the other side, Geats doesn't get his with revealed, hmmmm
Last edited by Mikadius on Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Arigomi wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:44 pm He didn't have to tell Keiwa that he lied. He is probably trying to signal to Keiwa not to trust anyone.
I also felt like this was his intention. Calling someone hitoyoshi is like saying "you believe in the good of other people, to a detrimental naivete". Bad if you want Keiwa to survive a battle royale game where he can die. Remember that Ukiyo was watching Keiwa earlier and probably thinking "This kid is going to be in trouble if I don't step in"
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Mikadius wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:20 pm
I'm officially calling the monsters of this season "dickheads" because it just feels appropriate, if you know what I mean
Is Toei feeling threatened by Giga Tokusatsu? (lol)
satoman
Gao
Favorite series: Danger 5
2nd Favorite Series: Zero-One
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: pumpkin seeds

Post by satoman »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:45 am Okay so I did a little research (like 5 minutes of googling) and while the standard translation for メリー is "Merry" (used in FGO and FFXIV just to name two), "Mary had a little lamb" is written メリーさんの羊 (Mary-san's sheep), using the exact same katakana. HOWEVER, the normal katakana for the name Mary is メアリー or メアリ.

I can only assume that at some point, wires got crossed and someone in Japan was like "hey, let's call this sheep design/character after that one song" and some translator was like "Well that's fucking stupid I'm just going to use "merry" instead of the name "Mary" cause that's hella confusing."
メリー could also be a short for merino (メリノ) sheep? I was also confused but since this season riders are animal-themed and named... But, yeah, seems they are wordplaying with Mary (from the little lamb one).

For Na-Go I googled a bit around and found a japanese book series about cats called ネコ町ナーゴ (Cat Town Neargo). Could be it?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

satoman wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:42 pm
メリー could also be a short for merino (メリノ) sheep? I was also confused but since this season riders are animal-themed and named... But, yeah, seems they are wordplaying with Mary (from the little lamb one).

For Na-Go I googled a bit around and found a japanese book series about cats called ネコ町ナーゴ (Cat Town Neargo). Could be it?
Merino is a possibility I'd never thought of. You might be on to something there.

JP sources say Nago is likely based off the sound a cat makes, which ... I guess?
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Lunagel wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:33 pm JP sources say Nago is likely based off the sound a cat makes, which ... I guess?
It could be worse. They could've drawn inspiration from the infamous Fortinite skin/outfit called Meowscles.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

You make me so glad I don't play Fortnite
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Is it just me, or do the names Da•paan and Ginpen seem really unimaginative?
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:38 pm Wiki
This link apparently points to the episode 1 page, not episode 2
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

msf232 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:25 am Is it just me, or do the names Da•paan and Ginpen seem really unimaginative?
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:38 pm Wiki
This link apparently points to the episode 1 page, not episode 2
Considering DaPaan is already a recolor and Ginpen is dead already...

Also thanks! Link should be fixed
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

RobertPal wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:00 am Can we skip the sponsor spots for Geats? it's blank, and nothing is even written on it, I highly thinks it's unnecessary.
They're part of the episodes though. Toei even includes them on the Blu-Ray releases even though they're blank.
Lunagel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:21 am Anyone else thinking the DGP is probably gonna end up being a genie bottle? Like, you get all the money and fame but your dick shrinks 3 sizes or something.
Maybe, although Ace seems happy enough for now with his wish. The thing with genies is that the 3 wishes thing is there to maximise the screwing over. Wish 1 goes badly, so you waste wish 2 fixing it. Then you make wish 3 and don't have a 4th one to fix it.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
RobertPal
Go Go!

Post by RobertPal »

HowlingSnail wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:14 am
RobertPal wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:00 am Can we skip the sponsor spots for Geats? it's blank, and nothing is even written on it, I highly thinks it's unnecessary.
They're part of the episodes though. Toei even includes them on the Blu-Ray releases even though they're blank.
Lunagel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:21 am Anyone else thinking the DGP is probably gonna end up being a genie bottle? Like, you get all the money and fame but your dick shrinks 3 sizes or something.
Maybe, although Ace seems happy enough for now with his wish. The thing with genies is that the 3 wishes thing is there to maximise the screwing over. Wish 1 goes badly, so you waste wish 2 fixing it. Then you make wish 3 and don't have a 4th one to fix it.
Don't need it, the Kabuto sponsors was cut out in 2006, even though they weren't blank.

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”