DonBrothers 31 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:53 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆☆
44%
☆☆☆
22%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 9
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 31 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.38 of 5 stars (8 votes)

I never understood why Japanese people like this noodle water slide game. It seems like so much work

Oh my god Jirou is the smartest one of these guys...

How is Tsubasa not in jail. If Jirou were any other person who saw him and then the wanted poster right after...

Whoa, the Master went from grabbing the loose noodle to sitting on the stool behind Tarou in one cut. He truly is god

LOL at Saru shaking his booty

I knew that was Goseiger. That head lol

Oh, the return of Taro the dog lol

If Shouko is also Miho, I'm going to lose it. Oh maybe Shouko is the Hitotsuki

What? A mistaken identity in my Inoue show? I don't mind though, it's one of Inoue's less problematic tropes, even if he does rely on it a bit

Ooh, I thought that kanji for Inui looked familiar

Wow, that's a first. Apparently Hitotsuki possessions can be cured by just getting over your personal issues

Everyone loves the badass hero

Kijino is so sad

Oh, the last episode previews were so deceptive. I don't know if I'm glad for the surprise or disappiotned they're not dealing with Tsubasa's stuff

Miho's actress definitely dubbed those lines. I don't usually notice but it's super obvious here

Oh, so a Hitotsuki isn't picky about what kind of problem you have. That's kind of weird

Well, that was a curve ball. Can't complain that this series is predictable
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: DonBrothers 31 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:34 pmit looks like Inu Brother goes over a bridge and smacks into another dude, so I'm betting a) part of the plot of the episode is going to be the rest of the team mistakenly thinking the other dude is Inu Brother, and b) MAYBE because of this confusion, the whole "Inu Brother's identity gets found out!" is a misdirect and they STILL don't know by the end of the episode.

someone pick up that phone, because I called it!

EDIT: oh, also forgot to say, I LOVE that they remembered Onitaijin and Toradoragonjin are actually reasonably human sized and get bigger. it's fun to see the team mechs fighting at not giant scale.

looking forward to next week's advertisement for a new CSM toy, too.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Well, that... Just happened, I guess... Every new weird episode of Donbrothers keeps breaking the record of the previous one... This episode, everything was all over the place. And one more random dude(who was mistaken to be Inubrother, and temporarily became Inubrother) found out Tsubasa's identity but not the main team. Just... 😦😮😯😲😵😵‍💫 This episode wouldn't get any more than a 3, but I'm giving it a 4 just cuz I love Tsubasa.
Looks like we'll have to wait for the Donbrothers 10 ya for the rest of them team to find out about Tsubasa's identity and maybe a role call... Or the way things are going, they might just make the other 4 find out Inubrother's identity at the last scene and leave us at a cliff-hanger... Maybe like the OOO 10th movie... This seems very probable at the moment...

One more thing that relieved me is that Miho is not Natsumi. So if they ever manage to save Natsumi, Tsubasa has a higher chance to be reunited with her, cuz she's not married to someone else.

Good side: (as ridiculous as it seemed to me at first 🤣) we got Haruka, the Oni of music. You know, seeing this picture on the Toei site last week, it seemed to me that this picture is a part of Haruka's fantasy/imagination. Boy, was I wrong, just like every other assumption about this episode!
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm I never understood why Japanese people like this noodle water slide game. It seems like so much work
It might be a lot of work, but it seems fun to me... I wanna try it out if given the opportunity.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm Oh my god Jirou is the smartest one of these guys...
Or he actually has a nose he can trust, maybe(ironically, he's the one with the good nose and not the actual Inubrother 🐶)? I don't know, it's too weird. But it makes sense cuz he's not exactly considered a part of the Donbrothers... Since the Donbrothers don't always consider him a teammate, and he mostly acts on his own anyways. So even if he found out, or knew about Tsubasa, no one would believe him.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm Wow, that's a first. Apparently Hitotsuki possessions can be cured by just getting over your personal issues
Or the Hitotsuki will possess someone around them with a stronger desire. This happened with the Choujinki. When the dude's ex girlfriend's desire was stronger, Choujinki (which was about to possess the guy) switched its host to the girl. Weird that these host switches only happenned in Tsubasa focused episodes...
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm Everyone loves the badass hero
I wouldn't call Ryuuji a badass, though. He just said some apparently cool dialogues...
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm Miho's actress definitely dubbed those lines. I don't usually notice but it's super obvious here
A few of Tsuyoshi's lines were also dubbed over- the part where he tells Tsubasa about how he met Miho, time-stamp 14:48-14-57. I wonder if they had sound issues while filming in the park...
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm Oh, so a Hitotsuki isn't picky about what kind of problem you have. That's kind of weird
Was it ever shown that each Hitotsuki has a preference for the kind of host they choose? It always seemed random to me..
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm Well, that was a curve ball. Can't complain that this series is predictable
But it is frustrating and tiring at times... Like this episode...

And Sonoi will (kinda? 🤔🤷‍♀️) come back in the next episode... He was gone for like, 2 episodes... His funeral happened in 29, he appeared in it and he didn't appear in the last 2 episodes. That was way faster than I thought.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:03 am someone pick up that phone, because I called it!
LOL, that's hilarious. I can't believe how deceptive last week's preview was though. What a bait and switch lol

>I wouldn't call Ryuuji a badass, though. He just said some apparently cool dialogues...

He isn't, but he's aping on a very specific character archetype. Which is funny with Inoue being the writer here. How many references are there to Condor Black here? I feel like there's definitely one in Ryuuji's song at least

>Was it ever shown that each Hitotsuki has a preference for the kind of host they choose? It always seemed random to me..

No, but it just seemed natural to assume each Hitotsuki went for a host for a specific reason. Like this is the Hitotsuki that is ambitious or whatever because that's related to that sentai. Now it's just random "humans have too many emotions" reasons. Which I guess makes sense and I shouldn't blame the show for my assumptions, but I like worldbuilding with specific rules, I guess?
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I didn't even realize it was possession, I thought this was just a world where people can turn into monsters if their emotions run high enough, like in One Punch Man
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

takenoko wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:35 am He isn't, but he's aping on a very specific character archetype. Which is funny with Inoue being the writer here. How many references are there to Condor Black here? I feel like there's definitely one in Ryuuji's song at least
The song Ryuji sings is Yuki Gai's character song, Honoo No Condor. It was mentioned in the Toei website.
Last edited by Thenosa Yechette on Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

That's now 3 Donbrothers who've also been Hitotsuki.

Is it me, or the actress playing Shoko sound Russian, or at least Eastern European? She's just credited as "ANITA", which doesn't exactly make googling easy.

Kind of disappointed we didn't get a dramatic scene of Tsubasa demorphing in front of the team after the fight. Tsubasa definitely knows who his teammates are now though, and he seems to be making an active effort to remain anonymous for...some reason. I think the proper reveal will be soon though. My assumption was around 35/6, in time for the big final combo.

Once again I'm unsure about the monster's link to anything. I wondered if maybe the theme of losing a loved one was connecting to Hyde mourning Magis.

Next week:
Spoiler
Loving Sonoi mimicking Tarou's entrance, and Sononi and Sonoza in the Shirokuma uniforms. This is probably stretching a little, but the title is "Kettou Sono 2". I know obviously that's just them writing "Duel Number 2", but I wonder if maybe Sononi will end up dying instead, and the title is a grim clue. Just thinking they didn't HAVE to name it that. It's probably nothing though.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So far we have had an alternative Yellow, a previous retired Blue, a split personality Gold, and now an accidental Black. Will we also have a second Pink? Should it be a more sentai-normative female? Maybe an Idol manager who is picked on by her bosses and by the girls she is supposed to be managing? (Only throwing this in so that Mizuki can be dressed up in an idol outfit and get her revenge on Kira Kirarin.)
Spoiler
Judging from the preview, someone will be getting Yellow slapped in the near future.
Was Tsuyoshi able to get his salary man job because he got his hippie length hair cut?

The more episodes that Kaito goes through without doing anything of importance the more sus he becomes.

Now that he has a bounty on his head, will Tsubasa join the Gokaigers?

Was Natsumi really Shouko before she met Tsubasa and now the Jyuto copy of Shouko/Natsumi made a second copy of Shouko to tie up the loose end. Maybe she's a gal who can't say no? Maybe the Jyuto mastermind is thinking "Gee, that Natsumi girl was compatible for sure, but boy she had a complicated life before we took her." Maybe she changed her name to Natsumi because her parents did not approve of theater actors.

Will Don Brothers pull an Excel Saga and tie up every loose end imaginable in a mad dash in the last two episodes (except of Black's identity)?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

resop2 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:42 pm Will Don Brothers pull an Excel Saga and tie up every loose end imaginable in a mad dash in the last two episodes (except of Black's identity)?
Toei Spiderman does that. The entire last episode is basically wrapping up every plot thread in 20 minutes, because this is the 70s, where they weren't allowed to have proper story for fear the kids wouldn't see a crucial episode.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

resop2 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:42 pm Will we also have a second Pink? Should it be a more sentai-normative female?
I think I'd like to see an alternate ranger for every color now, since it's become a tradition to have alternate Donbrothers. A female pink does sound interesting since it would balance the male-female ratio of the team a bit more. Or maybe we could get a temporary female red (again). It would be nice to see a female character replace Tarou, or just Tarou's female counterpart. It's fun to imagine a girl ordering and kicking (literally) around her teammates :lol:

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:06 am
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm I never understood why Japanese people like this noodle water slide game. It seems like so much work
It might be a lot of work, but it seems fun to me... I wanna try it out if given the opportunity.
They make tabletop versions that are essentially mini waterslides

If you want the traditional kind you either need grandparents in the country or to pay through the nose at a restaurant (very few places do the traditional version, and the one place near me that does in the summer was $100 a person!)
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:07 am s it me, or the actress playing Shoko sound Russian, or at least Eastern European? She's just credited as "ANITA", which doesn't exactly make googling easy.
I found her agency : http://www.inagawamotoko.com/

Unfortunately something went fubar on their end because there's literally no information about her on their site, just a dead link where her profile should be. The agency represents foreigners from over 140 countries and she apparently speaks 4 languages soooooo.... Yeah doesn't narrow it down at all.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm really not quite sure what to make of this episode. I certainly enjoyed it. And yet I'm not sure I got anything from it?

Ostensibly, this was an Tsubasa focus episode. In practice, it was more often a love letter to Black Condor and other heroes of the same archetype. I like Tsubasa, but he is not Black Condor. This is a good thing, as some of the standards of the archetype just don't make sense in 2022. But it also means that trying to compare him to Black Condor is kind of a waste of time, since the characters aren't meant to be the same.

In the meantime, I'm not sure we've learned anything new about Tsubasa? Voluntarily giving up being Inu was a bit of a surprise; but then again it was all part of a calculated plan to hide his identity. Unlike Haruka, he wasn't seriously intending on giving up. So to take that analogy to its conclusion, while with Haruka we saw how she went from someone who was unwillingly drafted into all of this into embracing it and being a hero, there's no such development for Tsubasa here. Meanwhile he's still a man on the lam, but that's been his role since the beginning of the series.

At best, it's a bit of a filler story. And I'm not anti-filler by any means. But it's also getting kind of silly that at 31 episodes in, Tsubasa is still the odd man out of the group. I would like to see some of these basic plot threads move closer to resolution.

In the meantime, we got a new insert song and an above-average fight with some nice handicam shots to go with it. I really wish we got more of this kind of fighting, I really do. DonBros has such short fights compared to more traditional sentais; it's a missed opportunity to lean more into the toku side of things now and then.

That said, I will say that the not-giant robo fights remain interesting. Immersion-breaking, but interesting. Since they don't have to pretend to be 100ft tall machines, the stunties can get a little more wild here. But at the end of the day, they're still held back by the bulk of the suits versus the mobility spandex offers.

As an aside, has Jirou's actor been off doing something else? He was noticeably absent from the last couple of episodes, only showing up in a scene or two. They even hung a lampshade on it here, which just makes it even more noticeable.
More than that, it just seems unsanitary? Using the same chopsticks you've been eating with to catch (or fail to catch) food that's going farther down the line... :shock:
Wow, that's a first. Apparently Hitotsuki possessions can be cured by just getting over your personal issues
That scene cracked me up. I was not expecting the spirit of the Hitotsuki to just go shooting out of the guy like that. :lol:
Kijino is so sad
And yet he totally wins this week's face face-off. Between his dumb grinning after recounting how he met Miho, and how eager he his to hop into her lap when summoned, it's hilariously cute.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm Well, that was a curve ball. Can't complain that this series is predictable
But it is frustrating and tiring at times... Like this episode...
Agreed. This has been an interesting series because it's so unpredictable at times. But there are also times where a little more predictability (or at least, less misdirection) would be nice to have, if only so the story can move on in a straightforward fashion.

Next episode preview
Spoiler
The VFX artists seem to be cutting it close. All of the robo footage from the preview was pre-viz or otherwise incomplete CGI. Which implies the CGI for the episode is still undergoing heavy work a week before it needs to air. I'm surprised they'd even show it off in such a state
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think this is just Inoue showing off his fan boyness by showing how much people like Black Condor by writing in some characters deliberately fawning over him. And that kind of character type is cool in a "for that time period" sort of way. Like cowboys, kinda cool but problematic. I think Inoue did the same thing when writing for Gokaiger

Meanwhile, I really wonder how Inoue feels about Kijino. I really hope he's doing the pathetic wife guy thing on purpose and not actually thinking it's cool to badger a lady at her work for a week until she goes on a date with you. That's not a cute story at all!
RobertPal
Go Go!

Post by RobertPal »

I hope Kijino will know Tsubasa's identity.
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:38 am I didn't even realize it was possession, I thought this was just a world where people can turn into monsters if their emotions run high enough, like in One Punch Man
I had the exact same impression. It feels odd to introduce new information that has no immediate relevance to the plot. World building so late into the narrative feels like a distraction from the lack of progression this episode.
I think the activity helps to distract people from how miserable Japanese summers can get. Flowing somen isn't something you would want to eat in any other kind of weather.

The costume department finally got a chance to use their collection of bad wigs.

With so many wanted posters plastered all over town, Tsubasa seems more popular than the latest idol group from Johnny & Associates.

I was not expecting Miho to go the extra mile with stopping the fight between Tsuyoshi and Ryuji. Showing off the wedding ring was sufficient. Cleaning Tsuyoshi's ear in front of Ryuji felt a little wrong. It came across like a metaphor for sex.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”