DonBrothers 32 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:19 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
14%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
29%
No votes

Total votes: 7
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 32 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.11 of 5 stars (9 votes)

Cave filming location. Nice!

Sononi is mom taking away your manga

Wait are there only three Nouto to begin with? Then what's the senate? If these three stooges die, are the Nouto just finished?

Loving the smirks from Tarou this eps

Oh crap, Jin's alive

Will this guy be a three time kaijin?

Ninja horse! Fantastic. Best monster yet

Luna seemed kind of annoyed at the recycled footage, but I enjoyed it. Gotta love that wacky Japanese sense of humor

Sonoza smiling

What happened. Were they unable to get that old lady back again

Man Sononi's transformed outfit has some great details. Too bad they use her suit so rarely

I mean... yeah there were bad guy ninjas in Boukenger so I guess there's some connection, as strained as it is? Man that was a great series

Wait, is this really an honorable duel if its' two versus one?

Sonoi got a transformation? Is he a good guy now? Did they kill him off so they could have time to animate that transformation?

Ooh he got a cool shield. Probably now on sale at p bandai

Be sure to get the repainted OniTaijin. Now on sale at p bandai. Probably

While this action is fun, it looks like the cgi animation for the bad tie-in DonBrothers game for ps3

So I know Sonoi's red feathers are new, I assume the blue ones were there originally?

Oh good, Tarou's dead again. What's this, like the third time?

Why is evil Jirou carrying Tarou back? Shouldn't it be the other one?

Ultimately, I thought this was a pretty entertaining episode. But weirdly, even though it technically moves the plot forward, I feel like not that many plot significant things happen. But hey, I'd rather take an entertaining series that's plot light than say a KyuuRangers which had a lot of plot but was a chore to watch
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: DonBrothers 32 discussion thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

So a long time ago, when we first learned about the Kibi Points and the Administrator, I suggested maybe this world would turn out to be a simulation or a video game or something. Well now I'm starting to get more convinced. This episode is basically an intentional remake of the last duel episode, and they had the characters specifically point it out. You know, exactly what you might expect in a virtual world being manipulated. Fits in with the idea that Kaito is God too. Plus during the awful CGI mecha fights, the ground appears to be made of circuit boards.

I actually had an idea a while back for a Sentai where both sides are given their powers by a God who's just bored, so maybe that's what's happening here.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's a pretty good theory. I've also been thinking something along those lines. But with us already being in the 30s, it feels like if that were the case, they'd have escaped the Matrix by this point so that the real plot can happen?
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Worst episode so far. Way too much fighting, talking about fighting, not fighting, and rehashing scene for scene a previous episode that wasn't that good, even bringing back the MOTW.

So, now they have to bring Momoi back from the dead by giving him some of Sonoi's energy? They are so all in on this Yaoi subplot.

The Momoi fight against Sonozo and Sononi just reeked of "You can't beat me, I am friends with the creator of the game.". Maybe Sononi should have let Sonozo read some more.

There needs to be a star crossed lovers subplot (even if it is one way) between Sononi and Pupper.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Man, where do I even begin with this episode?

That was the single worst new footage robo fight I've ever seen. The only way it could have been worse was for it to be comprised entirely of stock footage - which admittedly, is something we've seen Toei do before. I don't know what the hell is going on with the CGI there. Not only does it look like they used pre-visualization assets, but they didn't even anti-alias the output. So everything looks awful and jagged. Even if they ran out of time on animating this episode, the CGI shouldn't be this bad throughout the entire fight. It's not even up to the standards of what a PS4 could render in real time.

I'm utterly flabbergasted by the whole thing. Something is clearly wrong. Which is a shame, because on paper that should have been a fun robo fight. (Also, can I say how much I appreciate that Black OniTaijin doesn't have talking arms and legs!)

And then there's the outright recycling of footage. Almost every shot at the cafe was recycled from episode 27. Which besides being lazy, doubles as being weird too since they went through so much effort to recreate other shots elsewhere.

At the very least, the fighting was good. It wasn't one of DonBros' usual 60 second fights, and we got a lot of good shots in the caves and in the quarry. Even if I do feel bad for Sononi's stunt double having to roll around in the gravel like that.

Most of all, I have no idea what's going on or why. And while I appreciate novelty, I'd appreciate even more if I knew what was going on. Recycling such large parts of episode 27's script looks very lazy without giving the viewer some idea of why they're doing it.

I'm not trying to be a hater here. Especially as the show has managed to hold my interest. But man, it would be nice for stuff to make sense.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:19 pm Loving the smirks from Tarou this eps
I caught that as well. Only Tarou would be crazy enough to grin at a death fight. Crazy bastard! :lol:
I mean... yeah there were bad guy ninjas in Boukenger so I guess there's some connection, as strained as it is? Man that was a great series
I suspect they would have used it even without any connection. It's just a waste of a good season/suit.:(
Sonoi got a transformation? Is he a good guy now? Did they kill him off so they could have time to animate that transformation?
At the very least, it's a fancy enough transformation that I'm sure this won't be the only time we see it. To go all-out like that means it's something they intend to use again.
Be sure to get the repainted OniTaijin. Now on sale at p bandai. Probably
The black robo recolors always were the coolest...
So I know Sonoi's red feathers are new, I assume the blue ones were there originally?
Correct. Though they're sometimes hard to spot since they blend in with his shirt collar.
Technically the second, I think? Sonoi killed him once, then he killed Sonoi, and now we're back to Sonoi killing Tarou.[/quote]
takenoko wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:59 amBut with us already being in the 30s, it feels like if that were the case, they'd have escaped the Matrix by this point so that the real plot can happen?
I am getting increasingly worried that Inoue doesn't know how to end this and is increasingly making stuff up as he goes along. :?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:11 am I am getting increasingly worried that Inoue doesn't know how to end this and is increasingly making stuff up as he goes along. :?
What? No. He wouldn't... I mean... /me looks at Agito, Faiz, Kiva

Oooh noooo
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:11 am
Technically the second, I think? Sonoi killed him once, then he killed Sonoi, and now we're back to Sonoi killing Tarou.
It depends on how you define a death for the death counter. You could argue that Tarou died when he tried to lie and his heart stopped beating.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:19 pm Luna seemed kind of annoyed at the recycled footage, but I enjoyed it. Gotta love that wacky Japanese sense of humor
History repeating itself feels like like George Lucas working on The Phantom Menace. "It's like poetry, sort of. They rhyme." :roll:

I personally dislike this rivalry subplot. It feels so forced because no effort has been put into exploring what motivates Tarou and Sonoi to do this.

Jin's cryptic response to Jirou's question was so annoying. This is just lazying writing. Mysterious characters are fun when they reveal just enough information to pique your interest in the big mystery. Jin doesn't do that. He just makes dumb excuses to shut down conversations.

When did Saru Brother become good enough at combat to keep Don Torabolt occupied by himself?
SVNBob
Go Go!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by SVNBob »

Arigomi wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:42 pm Jin's cryptic response to Jirou's question was so annoying.
In a way, it was kind of foreshadowing.

One way to interpret Jin's response to Jirou (that the secret to Tarou's strength is that he is Tarou) is that only Tarou could beat Tarou. And based on the ritual from a couple episodes ago, and his entrance in this one, Sonoi is now part Tarou. That gave him the edge over Jirou.

Another way to interpret it is that you need the strength of (at least) two people to beat Tarou. Hence the advice of unifying the Good and Dark Jirous. But Sonoi is now both himself and part of Tarou. He's also two people in one, but already fully unified. That gave him the strength to flip the result of the single-stroke duel.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:32 pm
ViRGE wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:11 am I am getting increasingly worried that Inoue doesn't know how to end this and is increasingly making stuff up as he goes along. :?
What? No. He wouldn't... I mean... /me looks at Agito, Faiz, Kiva

Oooh noooo
If that were to come to pass, it would be as much on Toei as anyone. If you're going to hire Inoue, you need to make sure he has a series bible and a basic plot outline sketched out before you go into production.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:43 pm Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me three times give me yet another big budget production cause the toy numbers were good.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

SVNBob wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:22 pm
Arigomi wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:42 pm Jin's cryptic response to Jirou's question was so annoying.
In a way, it was kind of foreshadowing.

One way to interpret Jin's response to Jirou (that the secret to Tarou's strength is that he is Tarou) is that only Tarou could beat Tarou. And based on the ritual from a couple episodes ago, and his entrance in this one, Sonoi is now part Tarou. That gave him the edge over Jirou.

Another way to interpret it is that you need the strength of (at least) two people to beat Tarou. Hence the advice of unifying the Good and Dark Jirous. But Sonoi is now both himself and part of Tarou. He's also two people in one, but already fully unified. That gave him the strength to flip the result of the single-stroke duel.
The execution leaves much to be desired. Tarou's Gary Stu plot armor makes the DBZ power level math irrelevant. Nobody cares that he died again.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:04 am
ViRGE wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:43 pm Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me three times give me yet another big budget production cause the toy numbers were good.
Are the toys selling well? Or did it get a big budget because they knew all they had a bunch of toys lined up?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Arigomi wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:06 am Nobody cares that he died again.
This is funnier than it has any right to be. :lol:
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

(Oof, a week late)
Between the elaborate choreography, edit choices and massive explosions, I’m kind of shocked this wasn’t Sakamoto. Definitely fun to watch, though the CGI felt like a new low for an already budget-limited series. Then again, in a show with 2 CG rangers and full CG Robo fights, I doubt the VFX artists are to blame. (Judging from the preview…
Spoiler
there isn’t a single CGI shot to be found. To me it sounds like the VFX artists are getting overworked and having to work almost in real time, so I really hope the show gives them some CG-light eps to allow them to catch up
). Don’t want to say that for sure with such limited info, but as a VFX hobbyist that’s what it looks like to me
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:19 pmUltimately, I thought this was a pretty entertaining episode. But weirdly, even though it technically moves the plot forward, I feel like not that many plot significant things happen.
Truth be told, it was after thinking my comments that I thought, “Hm, what else happened here? Oh yeah, the lead villain came back and the lead ranger died. That’s kind of important.”

I guess the fact that I thought of the action/CG before those plot points reflects one of my main issues with this episode. If it’s produced with an action-first mindset (which feels like what happened, regardless of the intent), the story’s going to feel like it suffers whether it keeps the plot going or not.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”