DonBrothers 33 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:29 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
14%
☆☆☆☆
57%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 7
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 33 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 3.29 of 5 stars (7 votes)

Wait, is Sonoi acting this way because he's got the Momoi juice, or is there something that turns Momoi and Sonoi into these weirdos? And now this same weirdo juice is infecting Sonoi. Cause when he was a kid, Momoi didn't have this manic side to him

Again, why is evil Jirou helping Momoi? Oh hey, is this the under bridge filming location they love to use?

Oh Haruka and her slumps

What's Master reading now? Tales of Genji?

Why Zenkaizer for surgery?

Master puts off surgery to act as a waiter while his waitress is right there at the table. Sonoza loves his eyeball thing lol

Okay, I guess Master really is doing surgery lol

I guess none of these numb nuts know the Heimlech maneuver?

Masterw ould be the best kaijin, he stole the energy from those guys like a thief

Maybe Inoue does realize that Kijino sucks lol

Phoenix looks like it just uses a repainted pheasant head

Looks like a transfferable power up. Gotta say, it's kind of ugly...

Oh, the Only One is from the opening song lyrics

Was enjoying the episode until the fight. Just don't think this form or the fight was that interesting

Hopefully the preview for next week isn't another trick

Edit:
In case you're wonder what pink is eating:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokoroten

It looks like blood worms, but I guess it's a jelly made of seaweed. Luna, is this any good?

Edit edit:
Wait, does this mean all the DonBrothers' secret identities are known? Sononi knows black's identity too

Edit 3:
Let me guess, the Kijino is saying lyrics from this sentai's theme song?
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Re: DonBrothers 33 discussion thread

Post by resop2 »

If Momoi is saying that he can't be killed then how come earlier in the season they had to go to the shadow realm to retrieve his dead body?

Why didn't Kaito use Kiramager? Is he too macho to use pink deft incredible? Or, does that just work on humans?

I think the reason that Haruka is in a slump is that her shoujo manga powers are being drained by all this shounen manga style fighting. She should yaoi ship more.

Why didn't Tsubasa show up for the fight? Did he find out Natsumi's full new name and put 2 and 2 together so he's now on strike?

Will Tarou now be able to draw manga, compose haiku's, and dress as a salary man now that he has sampled their power?

I didn't count the cups, but did Kaito give Momoi any of his own power? If not, that's pretty sus.

If Kaito doesn't at some point summon alt versions of his previous crew then I won't even consider this a sequel.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

resop2 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:26 pm If Kaito doesn't at some point summon alt versions of his previous crew then I won't even consider this a sequel.
Honestly I'm still not sure what the point of him being here is. Kids had managed to go 45 years without needing a character to come back, not sure why they did it here, and then have done nothing with it. That said, his statement about being able to do anything this week is pushing me even further towards him being the Zenkaiger God.

As usual I watched this while eating dinner, but damn, all that food looked nice.

Haruka, maybe you shouldn't try to put Goldon Momotaro in your manga. It doesn't help your "I'm not a plagiarist" argument.

In the preview
Spoiler
I think what's gonna happen is Tsubasa's gonna hug Miho, Tsuyoshi sees it and runs off, shocked she's cheating on him, but in reality after he's gone, she slaps Tsubasa like "WTF you creep!?".
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:06 am
Haruka, maybe you shouldn't try to put Goldon Momotaro in your manga. It doesn't help your "I'm not a plagiarist" argument.
That's not plagiarism though. Plagiarism is duplication of another writer's/artist's language or ideas and claiming it as your own without authorization or credit. As there's no other artist in this scenario, it's inspiration, not plagiarism.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Commercials talk

Post by takenoko »

After three weeks of looking at that stupid power-up, I can finally sub the junction lol

Made some funny gifs from this episode:

Just a reminder that Haruka and her actress are left-handed, that's why she only wears a glove on her left hand
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Inoue is nothing if not consistent. Another episode where a new toy item/form/power-up is introduced, and you'd never know it until the very end. It's certainly a very different style, but it also means that there's never any hype behind these new powers; they just get added to the story as needed. I have to think the Bros working for something (or otherwise making a McGuffin out of it) would make for a more exciting introduction.

Past that, it was an okay fight. Being a gun-based weapon (finally, someone gets some projectiles!), you're somewhat limited on what you can do for fun action shots. But someone got to have a lot of fun setting up pyrotechnics for where all the shots hit the wall. :lol; And shooting right through the mooks... that's surprisingly brutal.

Poor Jirou, though. He saves Tarou, fights off Murasame, and brings him to the only person in the world that can heal him. And his reward is that he's written out for the rest of the episode. Over the last dozen or so episodes, Jirou really has been off on his own. His interactions with the rest of the Bros is quite limited, especially in civilian form.

Finally, I want the old Sonoi back. The new one is just a second Tarou; it's not nearly as interesting.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:29 pm Again, why is evil Jirou helping Momoi? Oh hey, is this the under bridge filming location they love to use?
Jirou's character motivation is at least consistent. He wants to be the one to defeat Tarou. If Tarou dies to someone else, he'll never get that chance.
Phoenix looks like it just uses a repainted pheasant head
Oh snap! You're right! It's modified, but I'd definitely buy the idea that they started with the pheasant head and went from there.
Looks like a transfferable power up. Gotta say, it's kind of ugly...
Sadly, you're also right about that: it is indeed a pretty ugly form. It is certainly shiny, though.
What Sentai was this week's MOTW from, anyhow?
resop2 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:26 pm I didn't count the cups, but did Kaito give Momoi any of his own power? If not, that's pretty sus.
He did not. 6 cups; 3 from the DonBros at the table, and 3 from the Noutos (Red, White, and Brown). (And I'm just going to ignore the part where they all fail to notice the guy in a superhero suit)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

What Sentai was this week's MOTW from, anyhow?

Taiyou Sentai SunVulcan. Speaking of which, any references to that series that I missed? They didn't even list a SunVulcan Gear on the Asahi page, which is weird

>(And I'm just going to ignore the part where they all fail to notice the guy in a superhero suit)

Hmmm, no these guys being self-absorbed and kind of dumb fits in their characterization lol
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

They were doing the Sun Vulcan pose, and there was that "Catch the sun" line from the theme song. I assume the "Miho Slash" or whatever he called it is a Sun Vulcan attack reference.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:23 am They were doing the Sun Vulcan pose, and there was that "Catch the sun" line from the theme song. I assume the "Miho Slash" or whatever he called it is a Sun Vulcan attack reference.
I guess it's this? Aura Plasma Gaeshi/Aura Plasma Reversal, a Sun Vulcan attack
https://w.atwiki.jp/sentai-soubi/pages/2895.html
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Loads of Sun Vulcan Refernces in this episode.

Ahh so i guess Cafe Donbro is just a Tardis now, with it being as well stocked as it is.
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

The episode is introducing some contradictions. A previous episode established that Hitotsuki possessed people as a separate entity. This episode says they are born directly from a person's desire.

It was weird how they were able to order so many different snacks and drinks for the meeting. A cafe would quickly go out of business due to the costs of maintaining such a large and diverse menu.

The lack of urgency for performing the surgery bothered me. Tarou is in critical condition but Kaitou has no issues with taking frequent breaks. He left Tarou's open torso on the operating table to help a choking Sonoi.

I disliked the "might make right" logic of this episode. Need companions? Beat up weaker people until they submit. I was surprised the Sononi and Sonoza gave in so easily. They didn't even seem to have any resentment about being subordinate to Sonoi.

I still don't understand why Haruka, Shinichi, and Tsuyoshi respect Tarou so much. Tarou is like the horrible boss that demands 110% from employees, but never gives anything in return for the effort.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Arigomi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:58 pm It was weird how they were able to order so many different snacks and drinks for the meeting. A cafe would quickly go out of business due to the costs of maintaining such a large and diverse menu.
And like every other business in a Toei show, they never seem to have any customers, but still stay in business.
Seen:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:25 pm
Arigomi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:58 pm It was weird how they were able to order so many different snacks and drinks for the meeting. A cafe would quickly go out of business due to the costs of maintaining such a large and diverse menu.
And like every other business in a Toei show, they never seem to have any customers, but still stay in business.
Clearly it's a money laundering front
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>It was weird how they were able to order so many different snacks and drinks for the meeting. A cafe would quickly go out of business due to the costs of maintaining such a large and diverse menu.

There is nothing the Cafe Donbura doesn't have

>I disliked the "might make right" logic of this episode. Need companions? Beat up weaker people until they submit. I was surprised the Sononi and Sonoza gave in so easily. They didn't even seem to have any resentment about being subordinate to Sonoi.

Sonoi was already sort of the boss anyway, so it's not like the dynamic changed that much

>I still don't understand why Haruka, Shinichi, and Tsuyoshi respect Tarou so much. Tarou is like the horrible boss that demands 110% from employees, but never gives anything in return for the effort.

I feel like I called it out when this flip happened. One episode they hated Tarou and resented being his companions, then the next, they're gladly his followers and have an unearned fondness and respect for him. It's like Inoue forgot an episode where that character change happened

>And like every other business in a Toei show, they never seem to have any customers, but still stay in business.

What does God need with a spaceship. I mean, customers.
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:22 pm >I still don't understand why Haruka, Shinichi, and Tsuyoshi respect Tarou so much. Tarou is like the horrible boss that demands 110% from employees, but never gives anything in return for the effort.

I feel like I called it out when this flip happened. One episode they hated Tarou and resented being his companions, then the next, they're gladly his followers and have an unearned fondness and respect for him. It's like Inoue forgot an episode where that character change happened
I believe we all felt this when they were grieving the loss of Tarou in episode 15. I still remember Luna's comment about the ridiculous "Jesus healing the lame" scene. At the time, I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt. They had plenty of time to remedy this major oversight in character motivation. Unfortunately, there is no way to defend it at this point. It really messes with immersion because you can't believe they are an actual team with common goals.

Sonoi's personality shift really highlights the worst aspects of Tarou's personality. Imposing his will upon others due to his unquestioned superiority is so uncomfortable to see. It stinks of the authoritarian ideology that you find in oppressive regimes.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”