My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Geats 09 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.54 of 5 stars (13 votes)

Oh neat, Neon's taken over for narrating since Keiwa's dead

Wow the Game Master revealed themself. Why are they disguising their voice unless it's someone we know or the voice isn't what we'd expect?

LOL, Kokoro knows all about eggs. Game suddenly becomes POkemon in the final round

Neat, they didn't remove every instance of Keiwa from the opening, but the group pose now just has Geats, Nago, and Buffa

Never noticed before that Buffa just spills a bunch of liquid on the ground as he transforms

Did the lady and baby escape or was it just the dad?

The game master sure looks like Girori

Oh, the eggs contain a buckle?

LOL Ukiyo, trying to look cool by tossing the egg and fumbling it

These characters aren't super complex, but they're good. Looking at the fumbles in story telling from the last couple of years, it makes me wonder why they can't do something as simple as this

Ukiyo and his mother complex

LOL Ukiyo, only has his bike when he has the boost buckle. I mean, it's got to be his bike right, his icon is on it

Ooh Buffa has a broken horn

LOL, Ukiyo has seen too much Boukenger if that's how he cracks open his eggs

Are we supposed to recognize Punk Jack? Gotta say this is the first form that I think is kind of bad looking

Guess we'll have to wait till next week to see what Ukiyo's wish was?

I'm minorly disappointed that Girori is the Game Master

While I enjoyed this week's episode, I feel a bit disappointed by the solution to the egg raising game, the power-up, and the ultimate resolution with the boss. But Ukiyo saving Buffa was nice and it was cool to have a bit more focus on him and Nago while Ukiyo waited for his egg to crack

Edit: No episode next week!
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Geats 09 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

well, this was a neat way to wrap all that up. and it looks like I called it way back. when the world resets, the title commonality will change, since next episode's title resets to "[insert arc title word] I: individual title"
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:36 pm LOL Ukiyo, only has his bike when he has the boost buckle. I mean, it's got to be his bike right, his icon is on it
I think it changes symbol/form based on who has the buckle, since when Buffa had it a couple rounds back its animal form had a different head and wasn't a fox. it's just the toy that's exclusively Geats themed, same with how the toy for the phone that just came out with this episode has Geats' mark on it, but we've seen Neon's phone before and it had Na-go's mark.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:36 pm Are we supposed to recognize Punk Jack? Gotta say this is the first form that I think is kind of bad looking
I think it's less that we're supposed to know him, and more "oh, wait, he was a real person and not just a voiceless NPC that got summoned for one game to even out the teams." since that means that, as he was selected as "one of our staff at random to fill in the spot" that means there IS more staff for the DGP than just Tsumuri and Girori, and opens the door to more possible staff in the future.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:36 pm Edit: No episode next week!
THAT explains why the toys for some things from the preview aren't coming out until two weeks from now, even though the ninja and monster buckles both came out alongside their episodes. the new things ARE coming out with their episode, it just isn't for two weeks.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

>I think it changes symbol/form based on who has the buckle, since when Buffa had it a couple rounds back its animal form had a different head and wasn't a fox. it's just the toy that's exclusively Geats themed, same with how the toy for the phone that just came out with this episode has Geats' mark on it, but we've seen Neon's phone before and it had Na-go's mark.

Ah dang, after I said it I wondered if the symbol changed accordingly, but was too lazy to check. Thanks for the explanation!
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:36 pm Are we supposed to recognize Punk Jack? Gotta say this is the first form that I think is kind of bad looking
Rereading it, I think this came off as confusing. I meant Geat's Monster form was a bad looking power up. I do appreciate the confirmation that Punk Jack is a new character though. For what it's worth, I thought Punk Jack was the game master, and Girori wasn't on my radar for that possibility till I saw gamemaster in full form in this episode
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Your annual reminder that despite what people on Twitter say, the annual November break, which has been a thing for at least a decade, is NOT due to golf and never has been.

When Neon made her sad vlog I thought she was dropping out of the DGP to save her own life, which would be stupid, considering how desperately she wants to get away from her abusive mother.

Well, new DGP next episode then, with a new load of Riders for them to get rid of every week. Presumably we'll find out what Ace wished for that was so horrible. It's probably something like "The DGP will go on forever", so he can keep winning it.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:50 am Your annual reminder that despite what people on Twitter say, the annual November break, which has been a thing for at least a decade, is NOT due to golf and never has been.
Granted there is occasionally a break for US Open but last one was Zi-O and it's in June anyway
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Lunagel wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:40 am
HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:50 am Your annual reminder that despite what people on Twitter say, the annual November break, which has been a thing for at least a decade, is NOT due to golf and never has been.
Granted there is occasionally a break for US Open but last one was Zi-O and it's in June anyway
Yep. It's become a meme among toku fans to blame golf whenever the break happens, but most of them don't seem to understand that golf is the June break.

Japan could be destroyed by the Jamato Last Boss, with Toei in flames, and someone would still assume it was golf's fault there's no new episode.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

This too is Decade's fault
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Golgom did it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Golf is making me miss my hero shows again? Damn!

How long till we find out that they're not making new worlds, but just finding a world in the multiverse to match whatever wish the Rider wrote down? See Everything Everywhere All At Once or recent Marvel thingies, since Toei ripping off a Marvel thing is their basic move this last decade
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:08 am How long till we find out that they're not making new worlds, but just finding a world in the multiverse to match whatever wish the Rider wrote down? See Everything Everywhere All At Once or recent Marvel thingies, since Toei ripping off a Marvel thing is their basic move this last decade
when we get an extremely out of place crossover with Zenkaiger, where the riders and zenkaigers have to work together to fight a Wald made with the power of "Ukiyo-Ace-is-a-massive-celebrity-topia"?
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Now that we know that Kirori is the game administrator, the show is starting to look a lot like the anime Death Parade. In Death Parade Decim, a distinguish looking older guy runs a dive bar with his genki female assistant Shiyuki. The customers are pairs of the recently deceased who may or may not know each other or be connected. Decim makes both of them play a game against each other without explaining the stakes. How the people play the game (rather than who wins) helps Decim decide if their souls are fit for reincarnation or should be banished to the void.

In Geats, Kirori runs a bar and lets the living play a game (where the players do not fully understand the stakes) to achieve their wish. I guess the difference is that there is not a Gary Stu character in Death Parade who wins every game and allows most of the other players (other than the ones he likes) to be killed.

I like the show, but if I was a gamer I would give this episode 10 out of 10 face palms since the battle was decided by Ace drawing the "I Win" card and barely making any effort at all.

Questions: Will Keiwa's injuries be all healed in this new world or will he be unable to participate in the next game? And, if he does participate, will his injuries come back when he joins?

Will one of Neon's bodyguards join and his wish be that Neon finds true love?

Will kid sister Sara join the game and to Keiwa's horror totally pwn him at the game?

Will any other player ask Ace if he has ever lost the game and realize that the game is hopelessly rigged in Ace's favor?

Will they have a musical interlude with the riders dancing to Flyers by Bradio?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

My friend really liked Death Parade and made me watch it. I didn't care for it, even if it had an interesting premise
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:50 am Well, new DGP next episode then, with a new load of Riders for them to get rid of every week. Presumably we'll find out what Ace wished for that was so horrible. It's probably something like "The DGP will go on forever", so he can keep winning it.
That wouldn't explain why Tsumuri was annoyed. The preview hints at a wish that directly affects Tsumuri's life in a way that she doesn't like.

I'm fine with Ace winning the way he did. Michinaga and Neon didn't really go through anything special to earn the victory. Ace even gave both of them a pep talk to make them feel better about the loss.

Michinaga probably had a crush on his dead friend Toru.

I was not expecting the Monster Buckle to hatch from the egg, but it does makes thematic sense. Some parents will refer to their child as their little monster.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

I'm guessing that Ace throwing the egg and nearly dropped it was a blooper the production team decided to keep it in. Thumbs up to the actor to keep going and didn't break character.

Ace trying the lecture the egg and it didn't hatch. So was the lesson that there's no need to care about a grand mission or duty, a mindset of just going for the win at all cost was all they needed to think about?

Some sharp-eyed fans managed to work out what Ace's s wish was. Spoiler tagged for those who want to wait for next episode.
Spoiler
デザイアグランプリの運営者と家族になっている世界
A world where the Desire Grand Prix staff becomes my family

https://twitter.com/Mana_komachi/status ... m8xIQsAAAA
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I'm guessing that Ace throwing the egg and nearly dropped it was a blooper the production team decided to keep it in. Thumbs up to the actor to keep going and didn't break character.

It's a nice little gag, but doesn't really fit in with his character as Tendou 2.0

>Ace trying the lecture the egg and it didn't hatch. So was the lesson that there's no need to care about a grand mission or duty, a mindset of just going for the win at all cost was all they needed to think about?

Yeah, what was the big epiphany that he had that allowed the egg to hatch? If it's just "He needs DETERMINATION" then that makes no sense since he's had a lot of resolve all this time

Return to “Kamen Rider Geats”