DonBrothers 35 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:14 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
14%
☆☆☆☆
57%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 7
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 35 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4.3 of 5 stars (10 votes)

Kijino with the power of Mojikara

LOL at Haruka's aunt

Oh, Kijino really did get the money

Sword in the stone imagery. But why is Murasame here?

Sonoza with his power over manga

Suddenly here's Rumi

Oh Jirou does have the cvoid

Rumi angels having the popsicles is pretty funny

Feels like her hair isn't as wavey as Natsumi usually is portrayed

Oh no, Natsumi is the origami killer

Hmmm, I guess we can't totally blame Tarou for this monster of the week

Oh right, Kijino is still in jail lol

they put a cape on TOQ 1? So that's why the upgrade looks swappable

They're not going to explain why the Toqger form worked against that effect? Pretty bold of them to assume kids will get a reference from like 8 years ago

Oh, was not expecting Tsubasa to jump into that chest hole

What that lady got eaten again?

Can I point out how eerie but also kind of funny it is that these people were just dropping in from off screen in this fake Helheim jungle?

Alright episode. A lot of fun moments but it didn't really feel like it came together in a cohesive way

Edit: No episode next week!

Edit edit: Actually, what kind of bum racket are the police doing? Why does he have to take this deal, considering they've proved he's innocent of the crime he's accused of
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: DonBrothers 35 discussion thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:14 pm Actually, what kind of bum racket are the police doing? Why does he have to take this deal, considering they've proved he's innocent of the crime he's accused of
That's what I was thinking. Honestly I found it a little weird they didn't even question where she's been for the past year, but I guess that's not really their business if she's alive and well.

So I'm guessing Kijino is gonna have to save Tsubasa. I'm expecting the two of them to have to fight Crane Juto eventually to save Natsumi, and I guess at this point we're sure "Miho" is never coming back, so Tsuyoshi will just have to go find another woman to harass into marriage.

ToQger I'm guessing is meant to be a joke about youth.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

I felt like I was watching a shojo manga this week. They really went all out, what with the literal words appeared while talking, slow-mo run in sparking air, a character earning this resolve and dashing off into the sunset, the girl stopping the sick hero from going into battle...

So I guess the Hitotsuki's youth attack didn't work because Toqger were literally kids?

Geez, the ending was eerie and creepy. It gave off a KR Amazons vibe for a second there.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:33 am So I'm guessing Kijino is gonna have to save Tsubasa. I'm expecting the two of them to have to fight Crane Juto eventually to save Natsumi, and I guess at this point we're sure "Miho" is never coming back, so Tsuyoshi will just have to go find another woman to harass into marriage.
Miho is basically the Jyuto. I don't see him giving Miho up to help Tsubasa save Natsumi. He'll never find a human woman that could put up with his frustrating personality.

The police seeking Tsubasa's cooperation with the Jyuto felt too sudden. While they did lay some of the groundwork in earlier episodes, it doesn't really add up in an organic way. Tsubasa should be angry at them. They've been chasing him for over a year and now they want his help?

Sononi is like a creepy stalker with the way she is always watching Tsubasa.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Yaiba wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:06 am I felt like I was watching a shojo manga this week. They really went all out, what with the literal words appeared while talking, slow-mo run in sparking air, a character earning this resolve and dashing off into the sunset, the girl stopping the sick hero from going into battle...
Well, the show revolves around Haruka who is a shoujo manga artist (suffering from writers block), Sonozo uses a shoujo manga to control Murasame, the show has as many bishounen as The Ouran High School Host Club, we're in the middle of this tragic love triangle, and we have Sonoi and Momoi as a brutally obvious yaoi pairing.

I am more surprised when this show seems like a boys show.
Arigomi wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:16 pm Sononi is like a creepy stalker with the way she is always watching Tsubasa.
She's not a regular human though. And, she's not even the girl who is most obsessed about Tsubasa on the show. Maybe her obsession with Tsubasa will lead to a redemption arc where she decides to save Tsubasa from the Jyuto cat forest since she cannot stand to see a Jyuto imitating Tsubasa?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Seeing Tsubasa go into the world of the Jyuto at the end there was really neat. The staff did a good job giving it a creepy vibe, especially with how those cat origami were moving about. Given that this week is Halloween, whether intentional or not, it's good timing.

Unfortunately, the 20 or so minutes leading up to that point are just kind of forgettable. Every part has its purpose, and there's a need to let Tsubasa and Natsumi's situation breathe for a bit before moving on to the Big Reveal. But none of it was especially important?

This talk of shoujo manga is timely, as I came out of this episode pondering why it didn't feel like a Sentai episode. I know absolutely nothing about shoujo, but I can definitely know my Sentai - or lack thereof, in this case. I can definitely appreciate the desire to do something different, and while this may make for great shoujo (I have no frame of reference, so I have no idea), it's not working well for the Sentai. Tsubasa is off having an adventure, while the core 3 are off trying to be a Sentai team in the few minutes they're allotted.

Meanwhile, avatar changes to old teams are back? I thought we were done with those 15 episodes ago. I guess Bandai's toys must not be selling very well, as otherwise I don't know why they'd bring them back now. At this point I don't know if they're adding anything of value to the story; just like Go mode itself, it seems like its use is just to tick a box.

Which is not to be all dour. This episode did have some good moments, especially all of the women thirsting over Tsubasa.:lol: But that's comedy, not dramatic action.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:14 pm Sword in the stone imagery. But why is Murasame here?
What was Murasame last doing, anyhow? I honestly don't remember.
Wait, is that actually what happened? Or are you just being cheeky? Because something is amiss. They've been writing Jirou out of this show for far too long now.
They're not going to explain why the Toqger form worked against that effect? Pretty bold of them to assume kids will get a reference from like 8 years ago
If it weren't for these forums I wouldn't have gotten it, and that's despite a full memory of ToQger.
Edit: No episode next week!
Oh? What's pre-empting SHT next time?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:45 am Oh? What's pre-empting SHT next time?
November is usually athletics I think.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:48 am
ViRGE wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:45 am Oh? What's pre-empting SHT next time?
Collegiate long-distance relay race
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:55 am

Well, that's a type of athletics.
Seen:
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:55 am

Ahh yes, it's that time of the year. Japan does love their running... Thanks!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>especially with how those cat origami were moving about. Given that this week is Halloween, whether intentional or not, it's good timing.

Speaking of which, I had some trouble with the translation for the wiki this time:
おりがみ操演 I translated it as origami puppeteer, but this was under the guest actor section. 操演 doesn't seem like a standard Japanese word, so I was confused

>Unfortunately, the 20 or so minutes leading up to that point are just kind of forgettable. Every part has its purpose, and there's a need to let Tsubasa and Natsumi's situation breathe for a bit before moving on to the Big Reveal. But none of it was especially important?

That said, I loved Tsuyoshi being thrown in jail with Tsubasa and Tsubasa ending up the free man. Karma's a bitch dude
Wait, is that actually what happened? Or are you just being cheeky? Because something is amiss. They've been writing Jirou out of this show for far too long now.

I'm just being cheeky. I imagine if he really had covid they wouldn't show him so prominently being sick. I think it's just Inoue doesn't have anything good for Jirou to do (That said someone might want to check that actor's blog)
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:47 am Speaking of which, I had some trouble with the translation for the wiki this time:
おりがみ操演 I translated it as origami puppeteer, but this was under the guest actor section. 操演 doesn't seem like a standard Japanese word, so I was confused
"Practical effects" is most common definition, I'd say origami puppeteer hits it on the nose
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:08 pm
takenoko wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:47 am Speaking of which, I had some trouble with the translation for the wiki this time:
"Practical effects" is most common definition, I'd say origami puppeteer hits it on the nose
But doesn't it seem weird to list them in the guest section? I don't know if I'd call the Jyuto extras origami puppeteers. That's why I felt unsure about it
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Probably cause they made the sounds too. Idk about Japan but USA you're legally required to credit any actors who speak onscreen, even if it's only one word.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Welp, welcome to Helheim, Tsubasa.

Have to say, between Haruka’s Aunt taking Tsubasa’s trustworthiness at his literal face value and telling him “if you cooperate we’ll remove your sentence” after they knew he was innocent, this isn’t a police group I’d like running my area.

Beyond those points, it says something when it feels like the *Nouto* are mainly here to remark about how weird the story is. Or prophecy, in Sononi’s case—weird that she can do that now, but I’m not putting anything past this show. There’s also kind of an unspoken sadness to Tarou not being affected by the MotW’s youth effect, given that he didn’t have a proper youth himself. I like that Kijino’s having an emotional breakdown (the consequences for this *have* to be bigger than his last two issues, just from a storytelling standpoint), although my sister and I noticed it’s ambiguous whether he’s freaking out over his wife or bearing some subconscious guilt—or maybe some of both. Said sister also (jokingly?) proposed earlier that one could resolve the love triangle by killing off Natsumi, but Inoue might not be joking…
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”