DonBrothers 37 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:46 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
14%
☆☆☆☆
57%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 7
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 37 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 3.43 of 5 stars (7 votes)

Recap: I don't know how I escaped either

Starting another battle in medias res?

Looks like Haruka drew herself in her manga with a panda head

Who is this weirdo in a mask?

Are we really just going to skip over how Tsubasa got out? I see the Nouto are hanging out with their respective favorite Dons

Hey oden guy is back. I hope this guy becomes the Boukenger Hitotsuki... but I think they already did that one

Sonoshi sure swept over the cart stuff halfheartedly

Theypainted Sonoshi's ear gold

Look at that terrible photoshopping of SOnoni and Sonoza at their base

oh, I guess it is a revelation to these characters that Haruka is making a manga with Sonoza

Hey, is the Tsubasa/Tsuyoshi stuff done???

Looks like a red Sonoi, disappointing

Feels like we haven't had a good moment from Saruhara in a bit, so it's a bit fun to see him hitting on Sononi

Wait, how is ninja man alive. I thought he died in a previous episode

Was this episode supposed to come out earlier? Feels like this roll call stuff sets up the roll cal lthing from the last episode? Wait Jirou just said that was their first rollcall. Suspicious. Still no Inu Brother

Why are the DonBrothers killing Sonoshi? That'll just restore him. I assume that's the whole reason the Nouto told them to let them kill Sonoshi in the first place

Oh great, Tsuyoshi is slipping even further. Love it

Enjoyable episode, I'm still kind of struggling to figure out how the storylines fit together. It sort of feels like they filmed some separate parts and then edited them in the wrong order though? Feels like Sonoshi is just a one off character? It's a bit messy trying to hold everything going on in my head. Hate the artificial way they're hiding Tsubasa's escape in order to save it for a later story
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: DonBrothers 37 discussion thread

Post by Yaiba »

Did Toei pressure Inoue to make a roll call or something? This and last week felt like Inoue deliberately doing it in the wrong (not traditional) way and then said "Here, I did it!"

Kaito seemed interested to learn about how to turn a Nouto into a Hitotsuki. But knowing Inoue it might just be red herring over nothing.

When Tarou said he had someone in mind for the Hitotsuki, I totally thought he's going to say Kijino and not the ninja guy.

And speaking of that, jfc Kijino... It's getting into psycho thriller territory. I won't be surprised if they turned the pink bird into the final big bad at this point.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I didn't even notice Kaito this episode. I just remember him coming out and going "snow???"
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Yaiba wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:02 am Did Toei pressure Inoue to make a roll call or something? This and last week felt like Inoue deliberately doing it in the wrong (not traditional) way and then said "Here, I did it!"
They've always had a role-call, some of the promo things they did at the start of the show have one. This week and last week are just the first time it's been in the actual show.

I agree Kaito was seemingly very interested in making a Nouto into a Hitotsuki.

Everyone has a partner now except Saru. Haruka has Sonoza, Tsuyoshi has his new sex doll, Tarou has Sonoi, Tsubasa has Sononi, and Jirou has that Rumi girl.

I'm honestly impressed they're going this route with Tsuyoshi. He's always had a screw loose, and the first real sign of something being really up was when he murdered that guy for threatening Miho. Since then he's been slowly going more and more insane. It'll never happen, but Tsuyoshi being the final villain is something I'd be A okay with.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:46 pm Hate the artificial way they're hiding Tsubasa's escape in order to save it for a later story
It's frustrating. Every time the plot starts to settle into a compelling story, Inoue throws an "I'm bored" tantrum and does a soft reboot to explore a different plot thread.
Yaiba wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:02 am Did Toei pressure Inoue to make a roll call or something? This and last week felt like Inoue deliberately doing it in the wrong (not traditional) way and then said "Here, I did it!"
I got the same impression as well.

Sonoshi seems to be inspired by the pandemic with his germaphobic behavior. He should've been introduced wearing a face mask instead of an eye mask. Whipping out the COVID barrier was funny. Unfortunately, portraying him as a stereotypical queer-coded villain leaves me conflicted.

The game of telephone at the oden cart was so silly. Haruka realized that Sonoza was messing up the message and decided to just make it worse.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This and the previous episode makes me think that Sonozo has difficulty repeating written and spoken messages. Will this lead to the day being saved when Haruka draws him a message and Sonozo is able to accurately reproduce it?

I am starting to think that there are no villains in this show and the final episode will have peace come to this world when all of the warring factions learn to do the opening dance together.

Okay, Tsuyoshi's new version of Miho is right out of Sailor Moon S01E15 - "Shingo's Love - The Grieving Doll".

Poor Sononi, rejected! (Unless Tsubasa is a tsundere.) At least she has her backup dancers for Tiktok.

Are there two classes of swirly-faced combatants: the sentient ones who hang out and try to live normal lives and not be eaten by the Jyuto, and the non-sentient NPC's that the MOTW and Sonoshi are able to summon?

I wonder what it means when Momoi and Sonoi, an obvious yaoi couple, are pissed at the queer coded character?

Maybe Momoi is the final boss and this entire multidimension universe exists because Momoi is a past winner of the DGP (from Kamen Rider Geats) and wished for it?

Will we ever have random SHT crossover episodes again?
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:18 am
They've always had a role-call, some of the promo things they did at the start of the show have one. This week and last week are just the first time it's been in the actual show.
Ok, I'll rephrase that. What I mean is, did Toei pressure Inoue to put a roll call in the show proper?

I've watched the special spin-off released back in March or April, it has a roll call with the all exact same lines, including Inu Brother. But it's very obvious it's just a parody of Dekaranger and not what DonBrothers actually is. Inoue has held out for 37 episodes without a rollcall, why now? And why finally put one in but deliberately mess up Inu Brother's part (twice)? Sonoshi specially announcing that he wanted a rollcall also feels very purposeful. It's resembling what a writer would do to spite the management.

And it's a thing Inoue would do.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Sonoshi seems to be inspired by the pandemic with his germaphobic behavior. He should've been introduced wearing a face mask instead of an eye mask. Whipping out the COVID barrier was funny. Unfortunately, portraying him as a stereotypical queer-coded villain leaves me conflicted.

I picked up on that too. Inoue: "I'm an old man, how can I show this guy is a villain? I know, I'll make him queer coded and also make him a fussy boy"

>The game of telephone at the oden cart was so silly. Haruka realized that Sonoza was messing up the message and decided to just make it worse.

I think you're giving Haruka too much credit. That girl's fun, but her head is empty

>It's resembling what a writer would do to spite the management.

I feel like it's Inoue balking at the complaints that DonBrothers isn't a standard sentai show. "You want a standard sentai? How about a roll call? But as a fuck you, it's all wrong, missing a member, and has an imposter the previous week"

I don't mind the show being quirky, but he's also setting up plot lines and putting a lamp shade on them when he wants to abandon it for a week. I think that's genuinely worth complaining about
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

> I don't mind the show being quirky, but he's also setting up plot lines and putting a lamp shade on them when he wants to abandon it for a week. I think that's genuinely worth complaining about

I mean, it is. His whole deal is his ability to make a show that is very entertaining while at the same time incredibly frustrating to watch. It's why there's always controversy and doubts when he's chosen to head a show. As individual episodes go they're fun to watch separately, but the show as a whole is going nowhere.

If Sonoshi is a representation of management asking for a rollcall, then him messing it up royally means management can't keep him in check and he's flying off the rails again. Agito, Faiz and Kiva all started out good but got increasing frustrated to watch especially towards the end. We're approaching the final quarter of the show, with tons of plot lines still hanging with minimal or zero follow up, I'm not looking forward to DonBrothers ending in any satisfactory way either.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Just here to ask if you guys are gonna sub this music video. I hope you do, it's pretty fun. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pWFqTwJhESI
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thanks, I'll check it out. It was region locked so I didn't even see it in my feed
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Wait, since when did this show become Lupin vs. Patranger? Everyone gathering at a restaurant while they're supposed to be enemies and comedically hashing things out feels like it was straight-up lifted form that show. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does kind of underscore how the Nouto plot hasn't exactly gone very far in 37 episodes.

At face value, I like this episode. Don vs. Nouto has long worn itself out since they're obviously not going to actually do each other in. So having someone else for the heroes (and anti-heroes) to fight is a welcome change of pace. But this is one of those episodes where the more you think about it, the less it makes sense.

Of the many things I'm wondering about which we'll probably never get an answer to, I want to know why Sonoshi was kidnapping humans and where they were being taken to. The Nouto essentially feed on humans, so why is this ostensibly high-ranking Nouto interfering with their free-range food source?

And Sononi, you know exactly how Tsubasa got free. So don't pretend otherwise.:lol: Though when did she start smiling?

Meanwhile the oden scene was composed quite oddly with its sudden cut from being sunny to raining. Toei is over exaggerating the difference a bit with their color grading there, but I'm thinking the scene was a victim of the weather and they just rolled with it. Perhaps they took a break mid-way through and rain rolled in. Toei normally downplays shifts in the weather (e.g. if it's lightly raining they just ignore it), so it stands out.

Finally, the bit with Tarou playing dead was extremely well done; that's such a perfect use of his inability to lie - or rather the consequences thereof. I have to assume Inoue has been holding that one in his back pocket for a while now, as while I probably would have never thought about it in advance, it's kind of an obvious thing to do in hindsight.

Unfortunately, everything else about the episode is all over the place. As I feared last week, we don't get into any discussion on Tsubasa's miraculous escape. And while the Sononi connection is obvious, it's not benefiting the show in any way by dragging out that resolution. And I have no idea what to make of Sonoshi, both in terms of character tropes and why they're introducing a new Nouto 37 episodes in.
takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:46 pm Looks like a red Sonoi, disappointing
Even though all of the Nouto battle suits share a common theme, Sonoshi's definitely doesn't feel like it's had the same degree of creative effort put in.
Feels like we haven't had a good moment from Saruhara in a bit, so it's a bit fun to see him hitting on Sononi
Everyone wants Tsubasa's girl! Tsuyoshi wants the girl he fancies, and Saruhara wants his self-appointed stalker. :lol:
Enjoyable episode, I'm still kind of struggling to figure out how the storylines fit together. It sort of feels like they filmed some separate parts and then edited them in the wrong order though?
After pondering it some, I'm wondering if you're right. Not that this show has done a great job maintaining coherent plot threads from week to week, but this week felt especially disconnected from what happened last week. That's despite the fact that we did get a scene with Tsubasa and Sononi, and Jirou made an appearance since he had recovered in the previous episode. I can only speculate as to what's going on with the show behind the scenes, but it does seem to be sliding towards becoming increasingly unhinged the longer it goes on.
Yaiba wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:38 am If Sonoshi is a representation of management asking for a rollcall, then him messing it up royally means management can't keep him in check and he's flying off the rails again. Agito, Faiz and Kiva all started out good but got increasing frustrated to watch especially towards the end. We're approaching the final quarter of the show, with tons of plot lines still hanging with minimal or zero follow up, I'm not looking forward to DonBrothers ending in any satisfactory way either.
I've not seen any of Inoue's Toei works (just That Series Which Should Not Be Named), so I don't have a specific horse in this race. But I am increasingly concerned that you are correct.

The man really seems like he wants to be writing a sitcom. He can do plenty of character continuity, but a plot longer than 20 minutes would seem to be his kryptonite. :|

Next episode preview:
Spoiler
I've got a bad feeling about next week. The clip of the robo fight was the same low-quality pre-viz style as a month or so back. I expect it's going to be another low quality fight.:(
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:42 am
Spoiler
I've got a bad feeling about next week. The clip of the robo fight was the same low-quality pre-viz style as a month or so back. I expect it's going to be another low quality fight.:(
Spoiler
I'd argue they've mostly all been low quality by virtue of being these weird CGI creations taking place in the virtual world for no discernable reason.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:17 am
ViRGE wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:42 am
Spoiler
Spoiler
I'd argue they've mostly all been low quality by virtue of being these weird CGI creations taking place in the virtual world for no discernable reason.
Spoiler
You aren't wrong. The robo fights have by and large not been all that interesting to watch this season. And they've been running short, even by Sentai standards.

But the low-quality I speak of here is with regards to the clearly unfinished CGI. That they don't even anti-alias it for broadcast makes my head implode.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi

Post by Yaiba »

A cut scene filmed in the playground revealed more info on why our Nouto stooges are against Sonoshi.

Source: https://www.toei.co.jp/tv/donbrothers/s ... _3246.html

ソノザ「……ソノイ、確かお前は学生時代にソノシと因縁があったな」
Sonoza: Sonoi, I remember you had some quarrel with Sonoshi when you two were in school.

ソノイ「ああ。私と奴は生徒会長に立候補したのだが……結局当選したのは私だった。ソノシはあの事を根に持っているに違いない。そういう奴だ」
Sonoi: Oh, he and I ran for student council president and I won in the end. Sonoshi must still be holding a grudge. That's how he is.

ソノザ「……おれは子供の頃、意味もなく後ろから蹴られた」
Sonoza: When I was a kid, I was kicked from behind for no reason.

ソノニ「……私は……子供の頃、耳垢をフッとやられた」
Sononi: He... blew earwax dust into my face when I was a child.

ソノイ「……ソノシの奴……昔からそんな事を……」
Sonoi: Sonoshi... had been doing these kind of things for a long time...

ソノニ「……なぜ、あんな奴が監察官に……」
Sononi: How did a guy like that become an inspector?

ソノイ「家柄だ。奴は上級貴族の生まれ」
Sonoy: Because of his lineage. He was a child of an upper class royal family.

ソノザ「ふん。名家の七光か」
Sonoza: Ah, born with a silver spoon.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”