DonBrothers 38 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:16 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆
25%
☆☆
13%
No votes

Total votes: 8
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 38 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 3.86 of 5 stars (7 votes)

I was about to make a joke about trying the ultimate delicacy, man. But she turns into a monster and eats them just as I'm having that thought

Oh shit, we're back on Tsubasa?

LOL that cop putting up the new wanted sign

Awesome, Tsubasa gets to be the first to find out about Kijino

Ah, the smile that disappears from Rumi's face as soon as her back is turned to Jirou. Amazing

Oh neat, they're continuing with t he Haruka/Sonoza thing too. This attention to continuity is one admirable aspect to Inoue's writing if nothign else

Are Saruhara and Haruka vegetarians? Haruka mishearing sujiai (right) as sujiniku (beef tendon) is referencing the bad game of phone from the last episode

Ah, Tsuyoshi looking at the bill in the background

I like Haruka's dress

Wait, they didn't know he was a fugitive before? That doesn't sound right, they were in a hostage situation weren't they?

That chef is a fun character actor, despite not being the Hitotsuki. Why is Sonoi here?

Oh, wasn't expecting Tsubasa to also get eaten. So this is what it loosk like when people are eaten/disappeared. Tarou is so nonplussed looking

What? Why would they be starving if there was fruit right there. That's dumb writing to have Tsubasa/the new chef hostage to point that out

Glad they didn't eat that weird helheim fruit

Murasame, why are you even here. I guess we need to spend a few minutes doing a robo fight. I got to admit, i can't really tell the difference between the difference ultimate combinations. The difference between them doesn't stick in my mind

Why are they eating those weird alien fruits? Wasn't that in her?

Hi Gaja. You're here to give Sonoi an egg? Cool

Well, I feel even more confused about the Tsubasa/Tsuyoshi/Miho/Natsumi than before

I guess that's the danger of writing for surprise/novelty. Yeah, this is weird and I've never seen it before, but it's so ungrounded from reality that I'm not sure what the writer wants me to feel/react to it

I mean, let's break down one storyline into its component parts. Tsubasa and Tsuyoshi both love the same woman. But that woman is a monster clone with maybe amnesia while the real one is dormant in an interdimensional forest. Okay that got unwieldy fast. So in the moment, I can go "Haha, Tsuyoshi lost his mind and thinks a doll is his wife", but overall, how am I supposed to feel about what these characters are going through?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: DonBrothers 38 discussion thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:16 pm Wait, they didn't know he was a fugitive before? That doesn't sound right, they were in a hostage situation weren't they?
Do you mean when they were at Tsubasa's house? They were talking about his dad.

I find it incredibly odd that they ate the weird blue Helheim fruit at the end, considering they now had access to food they knew for sure wouldn't kill them.

While all the discussion with the food critic lady was happening in the ristorante scene, Haruka was discreetly still stuffing her face.

Quite convenient that Tsubasa is eaten, so he doesn't have to reveal his identity once again.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

23:05 Tsuyoshi: I don't want to play with you anymore.....

Lmfaooo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:21 am Do you mean when they were at Tsubasa's house? They were talking about his dad.
Somehow I wasn't following the conversation and that completely went over my head. Pretty silly Inoue stuff, especially since Tsubasa doesn't note the irony
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i explained to a friend how Inuzuka is a chibi so they could never tell who he was, and when she said the voice, it occurred to me, he doesnt speak enough when transformed for them to pick up on it.

at least we saw Don Murasame this week?

Also, the food "happiness" was pretty low key after watching Foodwars.
anyways, this show has gotten so random, yet it enjoy watching it each week, if only for it being so exotic....?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So this week's Chinese dress waitress is played by Fujita Rei, but oh shit, Fujita Ray (Faiz/Garo) is already an actor. At least they use different kanji and Ray goes by the English spelling

They also put in the recipes for the carbonatta and napolitan. Guess that's why all these recipes could in theory be done by kids:
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/File:Don3809.jpg
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/File:Don3810.jpg
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Appreciate your food, kids.

Sononi's shock/surprise reaction to Sonoi hopping around their demission actually made me rolf.

Also lmao at the fan being yeet across the road by Tarou right before shooting Murasame. The character quirks in this show are very funny.

Did Bandai / Toei requested to add Black OniTaijin at the last minute so much that the cgi staff had no time to work on it? It appeared twice and animation looked like crap both times. Black version of toys are usually cool, but this is not convincing me to buy it.

I know it's for the plot and all, but the blue pasta looked so unappetising. The bruschetta looked kind of fun to try though.

And yes, those are the fruits that we all recognized from the Rider studio next door. In the production blog, it said :
"Mysterious fruit" was written in the script, so we dug through the warehouse to find something that could represent "mysterious fruit", and found the forbidden fruits that should never have left Helheim. But they are completely different fruits because the color is different, so its just a coincidence, right?!
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So, a new chapter is being written by the crane?

Tsubasa was awfully forgiving of a guy who ratted him out to the man.

I think I have figured out who the big evil is: it's Rumi!

The feast scene breaking down into everyone yelling at each other was pretty intense, but rather unmotivated. They have had many other times to pick at each others wounds. Why all six of them have to do it at exactly the same time?

Not very efficient of the police to put up a new wanted poster after they find out that it wasn't Tsubasa.

This would have been a good episode to have a cameo from Tendo Souji.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yaiba wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:48 am And yes, those are the fruits that we all recognized from the Rider studio next door. In the production blog, it said :
"Mysterious fruit" was written in the script, so we dug through the warehouse to find something that could represent "mysterious fruit", and found the forbidden fruits that should never have left Helheim. But they are completely different fruits because the color is different, so its just a coincidence, right?!
I think all those people should turn into aliens. They're not even starving at that point, why risk eating something potentially poisonous? Inoue's going to get some kids to go out and eat some poisonous berries or mushrooms or something. I guess a lot of poisonous foods are sign posted by being bitter or smelling bad, but that might not necessarily be the case, right?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This wasn't a terrible episode. But man, I just can't get very excited about it.

Week after week of stuff happening for no rhyme or reason is wearing me down. What happened to Tsubasa? Who knows? Why are the Nouto suddenly attacking the Dons again? Who cares?

And Murasame, the ultimate ranger without a cause, is here apparently just to be here. (Though credit for finally remembering to include Jirou in things for once!)

Toei is fortunate that the characters are written so interestingly. Because that's the only thing holding up the show at this point. If not for their charm and antics, there would be nothing happening that even warranted mentioning.
takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:16 pm I was about to make a joke about trying the ultimate delicacy, man. But she turns into a monster and eats them just as I'm having that thought
Long pork, the other, other white meat.
Didn't he get a reward worth several thousand dollars in a previous episode? I'm all for an expensive meal gag, but it's not like he was at a restaurant that was thousands of dollars per plate. The execution wasn't setup well enough.
I got to admit, i can't really tell the difference between the difference ultimate combinations. The difference between them doesn't stick in my mind
CGI matters aside, DonBros has done its best to avoid traditional robo beauty shots, even for the combinations they have suits for. Scenes cut very quickly, making it hard to ever get a good look at the robos.
I mean, let's break down one storyline into its component parts. Tsubasa and Tsuyoshi both love the same woman. But that woman is a monster clone with maybe amnesia while the real one is dormant in an interdimensional forest. Okay that got unwieldy fast. So in the moment, I can go "Haha, Tsuyoshi lost his mind and thinks a doll is his wife", but overall, how am I supposed to feel about what these characters are going through?
You're not wrong. Because the plot is all over the place (and it seems like so often the genre is as well), it's very hard to tell where things are supposed to be grounded emotionally.
Yaiba wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:48 am Did Bandai / Toei requested to add Black OniTaijin at the last minute so much that the cgi staff had no time to work on it? It appeared twice and animation looked like crap both times. Black version of toys are usually cool, but this is not convincing me to buy it.
I think you may be on to something here. That both of the crummy CGI episodes have involved fighting Black OniTaijin is certainly more than a coincidence. It's weird, however, because Toei clearly has a fully detailed CGI model for Black OniTaijin (as altering the original model would be relatively easy). So I don't understand why the CGI is this bad. A time crunch alone doesn't explain things like the lack of anti-aliasing.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Didn't he get a reward worth several thousand dollars in a previous episode? I'm all for an expensive meal gag, but it's not like he was at a restaurant that was thousands of dollars per plate. The execution wasn't setup well enough.

Maybe he bought a 900,000 yen doll lol
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

takenoko wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:44 pm

Maybe he bought a 900,000 yen doll lol
In the Sailor Moon episode the dolls were a big deal and shown at a museum. It's likely that they would cost a pretty penny.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

resop2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:23 pm The feast scene breaking down into everyone yelling at each other was pretty intense, but rather unmotivated.
This lack of motivation feels like a recurring thing throughout the entire show. Stuff just happens a lot of the time.

When the egg farmer was trembling with rage at the trio for breaking the eggs, I was expecting him to turn into a Hitotsuki. Giving them his own personal allotment while still fuming didn't make any sense to me.

The artificial lack of communication is so irritating. Tsubasa and Tarou are clearly interested in what the other knows. That is why they asked each other questions. Having them both sweep it under the rug with the "it's a long story" excuse is so dumb. It feels like the characters know the plot will give them the answers they need at the right time. Who cares about the Jyuto? Tsubasa needs to prepare for a random cooking contest.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”