DonBrothers 39 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:47 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
22%
☆☆☆☆
22%
☆☆☆
56%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 9
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 39 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 3.75 of 5 stars (8 votes)

Starting in media res, it's Inoue's favorite trick

Jirou has family? Who knew

Haruka's birthday is May 25? Shinichi's is March 6th? Kijino's is November 3rd

Did they just dress Don Killer in whatever they found around the studio?

I like how the Nouto aren't even pretending to be enemies at this point. Sonoi just straight up offers to help the DonBros

And the name of Don Killer Killer is AbareKiller. No?

lol, Kijino and Tsubasa alwasy running into each other

Why is she drawing it next to a waterfall

Is the monster of the week a spade?

Where's Tsubasa?

There's that creepy song again

wait a penguin?

I sorta know what that means, but also have no idea

Can a minor get a license in Japan?

In a different series, I feel like this would have been an important story moment. But with both killer robots flying away into space, I guess we'll probably never see them again. So, that happened I guess!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: DonBrothers 39 discussion thread

Post by Lunagel »

Yeahhhhh this is the point where I've officially stopped caring about DonBrothers. I'm okay with a certain level of chicanery in sentai, but having giant buttons saying "Don't push" and having them summon essentially unbeatable gods (who I assume we will never hear from again) is just dumb. There's no sense of drama. There are too many unanswered questions that don't seem like they're ever going to be addressed.

Why should I care about what happens when there's no reason to care?
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:47 pm Can a minor get a license in Japan?
If Haruka was 17 when Donbros started and May 25th is her birthday, then she's 18 already. I'm surprised they chose Haruka's birthday to be the same as her actress's birthday, though. Didn't see that happen before.
Also, are you guys gonna sub the Avatar Party music video?
Last edited by Thenosa Yechette on Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Age of majority was reduced to 18 recently so you can get your driver's license at 18 although drinking age remains at 20
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:59 am
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:47 pm Can a minor get a license in Japan?
If Haruka was 17 when Donbros started and May 25th is her birthday, then she's 18 already. I'm surprised they chose Haruka's birthday to be the same as her actress's birthday, though. Didn't see that happen before.
Also, are you guys gonna sub the Avatar Party music video?
Oh right, I meant to check up on those birthdays since I wrote them in my notes (but had no internet last night)

Speaking of which, I started working on the music video, but my computer crashed during it, so I've been afraid to open it up again to see how much progress was lost >.>
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

wait.... Saruhara's birthday is March 6th? so it was his birthday the day the show started?

also, only a few minutes into the episode, but seeing the word "penguin" show up in Take's opening post, sounds like we might be getting into more serious Jyuuto territory. the three types, ranked weakest to strongest, were Cats, Cranes, and Penguins.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Eh, at this point I'm just enjoying the episodes individually. They're pretty fun on their own when you stop thinking about relevance to the overall plot (if there's even one).

I like this Kaito, and I'm happy to see Zenkaizer Black joined in, even for just all of 2 seconds.

Right, the penguin. In hindsight it should have been obvious with his split personality, since all the other Jyuuto possess different personalities in some form as well. I guess I never thought they'd put it in the main team.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yaiba wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:44 am Right, the penguin. In hindsight it should have been obvious with his split personality, since all the other Jyuuto possess different personalities in some form as well. I guess I never thought they'd put it in the main team.
I'm honestly confused about that scene. I thought it meant that the guy Jirou was visiting was a Jyuto. Like so far, the Jyuto have been entirely different copies, right? So why is it different in Jirou's case?

Don't know if it was mentioned, but Kijino's birthday is also the same as his actor's. Did they mention Shinichi's birthday before? It's weird that it happens on the day the show started, but maybe the actor didn't give permission for them to use his actual birthday
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

knowing Saruhara, he'd probably just say "that was the day our team was born, and my life began anew, so is it not a day of birth?" and then not wait for an answer.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

The birthday thing is weird. Haruka and Tsuyoshi's are the same as their actors', but Shinichi's is totally different. No idea why. But yeah, Haruka's 18. She was 17 according to all the pre-release promo materials, and she had a birthday episode a while back, didn't she? Plus, as we've established, her DOB is the same as her actress', which makes it 25/5/04.

Not gonna lie, considering how much the promo and the magazines bigged up Don Killer, I figured he was gonna be the main antagonist for a while. Makes it even more of a shame how they needed to cram a Hitotsuki in, but I guess they need to get through all the past Sentais before the end.

Next wee:
Spoiler
They're really ramping up the Tsubasa/Sononi romance, plus Haruka's off driving.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

What the hell did I watch?
Lunagel wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:37 pm I'm okay with a certain level of chicanery in sentai, but having giant buttons saying "Don't push" and having them summon essentially unbeatable gods (who I assume we will never hear from again) is just dumb. There's no sense of drama.
I actually got mad when they set up dramatic moments for no reason. If you are going to be silly, don't pretend to be serious just to pull the rug from under the audience. There has to be a purpose behind this beyond trolling the audience. There is nothing fun about creating expectations with no payoff.
Yaiba wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:44 am Eh, at this point I'm just enjoying the episodes individually. They're pretty fun on their own when you stop thinking about relevance to the overall plot (if there's even one).
Even viewed as a standalone episode, it doesn't work for me. The only relevant things that happened were just foreshadowing for future episodes. Those moments didn't mean anything on their own. The Don Killer stuff was unsatisfying because the DonBrothers didn't even have to overcome the challenge. They only managed to survive due to a literal deus ex machina.
takenoko wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:51 am
Yaiba wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:44 am Right, the penguin. In hindsight it should have been obvious with his split personality, since all the other Jyuuto possess different personalities in some form as well. I guess I never thought they'd put it in the main team.
I'm honestly confused about that scene. I thought it meant that the guy Jirou was visiting was a Jyuto. Like so far, the Jyuto have been entirely different copies, right? So why is it different in Jirou's case?
Jirou was probably replaced by a Jyuto when he was very young. We know from Natsumi/Miho that the person in control of the doppelganger body can switch. Being a doppelganger doesn't prevent them from transforming into a DonBrother as seen in episode 36 with Tsubasa.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

If Jirou were replaced, why does he have the split personality? It seems like the implication is growing that the Jyuto is his other personality and he's not aware of it. So they got combined at some point?
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Um, er, ...?

This would have been a completely unneeded episode if it wasn't for the penguin reveal (does this mean Rumi-chan is Big Evil?).
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K

Post by Aeikozz »

Another Fantastic Episode from Donbrothers.

Gotta love how they are like in the opening, Murasame can't be controlled, they litterly bait you into thinking we're about do something with that thread only to be like ya know what fuuck it all let's something else for shits and giggles.

I fucking love this series. So perfect so amazing.

i was entertained to say the least. 10/10
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This is another of those DonBro episodes where I just don't know what to make of it. Which is something of a trend for this series, I suppose.

Does anyone else get the impression that someone at Toei told Inoue that he had to do a big, serious combat episode, and this was his idea of malicious compliance? At face value he delivered as requested - the Dons haven't really faced any strong competitors up until now. And yet it seems like he's giving the audience the middle finger as well, because in the end none of it mattered. It turns out it was a comedy episode all along.

I'm not sure I have a problem with any specific part of the episode. Having a failsafe for if the Dons go rogue makes some degree of sense, for example. But when you stitch the episode together, it doesn't make sense as a whole. For example, why doesn't Don Killer actually try killing anyone? Everything is so loosely connected that it's never clear what the stakes are, which makes it hard to tell when to care.

At least the fight choreography was solidly executed. There was more fighting in this episode than the average DonBro episode, and that shot of the street exploding behind Tarou was especially fun.

And what on earth is going on between Kaito and Jin? There's the implication of some past, important interaction between the two. But of course there are no details and no resolution.

Finally: Jirou is the penguin Jyuuto?! That should be scandalous. But because we still know so little about the Jyuuto, I'm even less sure what to make of it than the overall episode.
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:47 pm Jirou has family? Who knew
For what it's worth, we've seen his adoptive father mentioned before. But it's only been a handful of times; the focus has certainly been on his friends.
I like how the Nouto aren't even pretending to be enemies at this point. Sonoi just straight up offers to help the DonBros
This is where a lack of continuity is a problem. After the Sonoshi episode, someone should be taking the Nouto trio to task for being so chummy. There's been a distinct lack of expediency on the part of the Nouto in dealing with the DonBros, given that they represent a group so problematic that they were exiled.
Yaiba wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:44 am I like this Kaito, and I'm happy to see Zenkaizer Black joined in, even for just all of 2 seconds.
I'll agree with that. Even though he's mostly there for either comedy relief or being the straight man (depending on the scenario), it is nice when we get a bit more of Kaito. Though I wish this was leading us to a better understanding of just why he's here.
Right, the penguin. In hindsight it should have been obvious with his split personality, since all the other Jyuuto possess different personalities in some form as well. I guess I never thought they'd put it in the main team.
The whole penguin reveal has really cooked my noodle. There's always obviously been something wrong about Jirou given his split personality disorder, but it's not consistent with anything else we've seen about the Jyuuto thus far. But given his divine origins (which the Don Killer Killer controller further establishes), it seems odd that he was able to be swapped so easily?

And why it is we see normal Jirou, and not his crazy axe-murderer counterpart, doing the origami?

So many questions. So few answers. So Inoue.:lol:

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”