DonBrothers Movie: New First Love Hero thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers Movie: New First Love Hero thread

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

There were a lot of funny gags which is to be expected of Inoue. Didn't really remember anything that made it stand out as movie quality though

At least we know where all the roll call stuff is coming from in the TV series. It started in the movie

Also we know why she said she was in a movie so strangely. It's because she spoke that way in the movie

Funny notes:
-In episode 9 it was Shin Hatsukoi Hero with 真(true) as the kanji. From 22 onward and the movie it's 新 (new)

-Instead of being by Toei, it's by Ei-Toh/Eight (they swapped the syllables around). The logo is an infinity symbol instead of the Toei triangle.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: DonBrothers Movie: New First Love Hero thread

Post by Yaiba »

Trivia
The lady that Tarou delivered the corn package to was Kishida Rika, the actor of White Swan from Jetman (Inoue's previous sentai).
On the delivery note you can see her name as Yuuki Kaori (結木かおり). Her character's name in Jetman was Rokumeikan Kaori (鹿鳴館 香).
The manga followed up of Jetman mentioned that Kaori had a daughter.

Well, for the movie, this is as random as it gets. Inoue wrote in self-poking satires like what the show was generally doing, it's self-contained fun.
Like the director was probably representing Inoue himself, saying he'd change the story on a whip and being random was his reality.
The director absolutely enjoying the chaos he'd caused.
The producer's helplessness and resign was also probably reflecting what the shows' producers felt when working with Inoue
The trope about when a comic or something is turned into a movie, the movie is always bad and fans always prefer the original.
Tusbasa complaining he always plays an animal role.
Inu pointing out Saru having a red butt.

Other things
The cup of coffee Kaitou handed over to Tarou was obviously empty.
I'm intrigued Inoue knew the "stray bullet" expression.
The canned drink on the director's table says "blue cow" instead of "red bull", and the cup says "Tamashi" (Spirit).
This is so low budget that there's minimal effects, no new gimmick or giant robot fight and the final finisher was just reused footage edited in some stuff. Did they blow the budget in the tv robot fights
And is Inoue allergic to rollcall or something? He makes such a big deal every time they do one.
I guess this answered where this Kaito is from?
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I've not watched the movie yet, I'd just like to say that I have the Blu-Ray, and the making of on it is 52:33, meaning it's significantly longer than the movie itself. Not the first time either, Zyuohger and Shinkenger were like that too. Just thought it was funny.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yaiba wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:09 pm Trivia
The lady that Tarou delivered the corn package to was Kishida Rika, the actor of White Swan from Jetman (Inoue's previous sentai).
On the delivery note you can see her name as Yuuki Kaori (結木かおり). Her character's name in Jetman was Rokumeikan Kaori (鹿鳴館 香).
The manga followed up of Jetman mentioned that Kaori had a daughter.
She married Yuuki Gai??

>Well, for the movie, this is as random as it gets. Inoue wrote in self-poking satires like what the show was generally doing, it's self-contained fun.

Hmm, how meta. Also, what else would you expect from Inoue?

>The canned drink on the director's table says "blue cow" instead of "red bull", and the cup says "Tamashi" (Spirit).

heh

>I guess this answered where this Kaito is from?

Did it???
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

>>I guess this answered where this Kaito is from?

>Did it???

Maybe a tiny bit? At least we now know he fought with the Kikainoids

I was rewatching Hurricaneger, and realized this scene was exactly the same as Hurricaneger episode 1.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ooh, nice catch. Makes sense since that's one of the Gouraigers
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

I have confusing feelings about this one. Either this is the worst movie ever with everything out of place, or the most funny and entertaining Sentai summer movie that I've watched to date. The first time I watched this movie, my reaction was the same as the viewers in the theater in the post credits scene of this movie. So that sums up my thoughts, I think.

Why did Tarou die when he tried to say "Suki da"? This contradicts what he says about acting being different from lying before he starts filming for the movie.
But if I'm questioning this, I'm probably missing the point of this movie. Not that I properly get what the point is, other than being half an hour full of gags.

The scene I had no complaints about (and liked a lot) in this movie is the one where Haruka goes to talk to Tarou when he's delivering packages and they meet Yuuki Kaori.
HowlingSnail wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:10 am I've not watched the movie yet, I'd just like to say that I have the Blu-Ray, and the making of on it is 52:33, meaning it's significantly longer than the movie itself. Just thought it was funny.
I was also :shock: when I saw that the making is almost double the length of the movie.
The making of the movie is fun too. Probably even more entertaining than the movie itself. 😝😅
Kaito's actor said in there that he wants to appear in King-ogher's summer movie too. :lol: And Tarou and Haruka's actors learned about Jetman.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:40 am And Tarou and Haruka's actors learned about Jetman.
There's a funny moment on the Kyuranger Blu-Rays where they all talk about the shows they watched as kids. Tsurugi's actor says he watched Fiveman and they're all like "Damn, you OLD!". The Kiramagers had a similar reaction and called Juru's actor young when he said he watched Den-O.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm not sure what other to say than that New First Love Hero is about as Inoue-y as things get. A meta movie that not-so-secretly just wants to be a 30 minute comedy? That's Inoue. (All it was missing was a manhole cover and either fridging a woman or adding unnecessary nudity)

Like most things DonBrothers, taken on its own its neither great nor is it terrible. It's just so utterly out there that it's hard to fairly compare it to anything else. It is entertaining, but in the end nothing of real importance happened; so it's more of a way to pass the time than it is a captivating story.

I will say that I appreciate that the story wasn't fully divorced from the main series, which is typically an issue with Sentai series. The villain in this movie was just another Hitotsuki, specifically the Hurricanger Hitotsuki, rather than being some one-off bombastic villain that upstages the regular villains. On which note, credit is also due for keeping the Nouto trio involved in the movie; not only are they series regulars and deserve it, but it avoids falling into another trap of regular Sentai movies. All of which made this movie feel like an extended DonBros episode, rather than a fully self-contained side quest.

Haruka's actress also deserves a shout-out here. Despite being an ensemble cast, Inoue has clearly designed the series with her as the main character. And that was in full force here, as she was in most of the (untransformed) scenes. So she pretty much carried this movie, which is a lot of responsibility to place on an 18 year old actress. And while the intentional overacting drove me batty, I'm pretty sure that was the intended goal.

The action was also solid. It's a little less bombastic than the usual Sentai movie, which is not a bad thing. As a series, DonBros normally underdoes things. But as a movie, that trait has helped to balance out the impetus in Sentai movies to overdo it. The MOTW fight scenes were not especially memorable, but the fights against the zombies (both fake and "real") were well done. And having Haruka's actress jump off a building (in wires, I'm sure) is a much higher caliber stunt from the actors than we normally see.

I am however quite disappointed (and perhaps a bit annoyed) at the lack of a giant robo fight. How do you have a Sentai movie without a giant robo fight?! What even is Super Sentai if it lacks giant robos?! I guess the Robotarou stuff was there to replace it, but given how little new (i.e. non-stock footage) fighting they actually did in those forms, it's just not the same. I want to see giant robots punching giant monsters and trying to avoid toppling buildings full of innocent people, dammit! :(

Side observations: I think that's the first time we've seen the palanquin maidens since episode 2? And they got speaking lines, much to my surprise.:o Also, that syllable screw-up gag by Shinichi genuinely caught me off guard; I had paused the movie to write down a note about it, thinking that someone had biffed the translation! :lol:

Overall, I think the producer's reaction was on-point for the entire movie. It was an experience, alright.

Also, I appreciate that Anon included a subbed copy of the "No More Movie Theft" short. Yarr! :lol:
Yaiba wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:09 pm Like the director was probably representing Inoue himself, saying he'd change the story on a whip and being random was his reality.
The director absolutely enjoying the chaos he'd caused.
Oh I'd say the director is 100% Inoue's self-insert. Given what he produces and the meta-ness of this movie, there's absolutely no way it isn't.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

This is one of the most stupidest things i've ever watched in all my years, and i loved every second of it.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Well that was...certainly something.
Seen:

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”