DonBrothers 40 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:53 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
30%
☆☆☆
30%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 40 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 3.67 of 5 stars (9 votes)

Guess that seal didn't amount to much

Tsubasa's line there about love is pretty slick

Kijino keeping his wife home like a possession

Aren't all hugs the same? Can you really tell the difference from a hug?

Awww, what a mess Sononi's costume is

Are there any characters in this episode besides Haruka and Tsubasa and Sononi? WTF. I was just about to say this A plot and B plot have real tone problems, but then Haruka just hit Murasame with a car. throws up his hands

Oh, this car action is actually pretty good

Oh hey, the Hitotsuki is Haruka's fault for once

Oh shit, Tsukasa killed Saejima. Wait, what was his name. The detective guy

Oh, we really speed ran that battle

Wait, have we seen Tsubasa transform into the dog? That's amazing

Wait, is Sononi trying to trick Tsubasa on purpose?

Wasn't Kakuranger a previous Christmas episode? Gokaiger's I think

I dunno. Despite the tonal WHIPLASH of the A and B plots, I actually kind of dug both of them for different reasons. Even though it's been going on for a while now, it's never really felt like we've focused on Sononi and Tsubasa, but I thought this was pretty decent?

Oh Murasame, keep being the terminator or whatever mcguffin Inoue needs you to be

And not all the car gags landed, but it was fun seeing Haruka's actress making faces at the camera and some of the car stunts were genuinely pretty good

The two parts were stronger than their sum, I think
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: DonBrothers 40 discussion thread

Post by Yaiba »

I get the feeling that the production staff have A LOT of fun making the car stunts. Those are well done and very fun to watch.

Yesssss, car dooring the poor purple sword man. That stuff hurts. Keep it easy for the poor kid, Inoue. It already has hilariously low energy reserve and confusing allegiance for plot device reasons, now even mother is mad at it for randomly swearing loyalty to the enemy.

Well, the main plot line. So Tusbasa is going to kill Jyuto Miho, Kijino is going to flip out, and then the two will fight to the death. That's usually how it goes, right? (Toei probably won't allow it)
Tusbasa may learn the real Sayama is dead because he killed the Jyuto.

Lol at Sononi's confusing look when Tusbasa turned directly into a dog robot.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Are those driving courses a thing in other countries? I just went straight on the road with my teacher (he took me to a quiet area).

I feel like Haruka's driving antics were just to pad out the run time, since the A plot ran short, but it was still entertaining. Timeranger link I'm guessing is because of the episode where Time Blue does his driving test.

So basically Sononi is in love with Tsubasa, and she's gonna trick him into killing Natsumi, so she can have him all to herself. Of course, Kijino has already decided on that, getting very protective of Natsumi. I honestly applaud Inoue for having his character evolve like this.

Next week's the Christmas episode, so I'm guessing it's a 2-parter, since there's an episode on Christmas Day.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Wow! After months of showing the Nouto as tweeners, and after most of the episode teasing a baby face turn by Sononi, they make her do the ultimate dick heel move by having her trick Tsubasa into potentially killing Natsumi. This is shockingly bad writing. I suppose that Sononi could change her mind at the last second and make the baby face turn, but that scene was really unpleasant.

Sononi went from zero to heel so fast that even Haruka yelled at her to watch where she was driving.

As for the episode, this show is reminding me of the anime Nichijou, a slice of life plotless show where everyone acts weird for no particular reason.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:21 am Are those driving courses a thing in other countries? I just went straight on the road with my teacher (he took me to a quiet area).
Yep, they're essentially required in Japan because to get your temporary license you need 10 hours classroom, 12 hours practical experience (15 for manual transmission). Since you can't drive on the real road without a temporary, they need these courses to give you practical experience. After you get your temporary, it's another 16 hours classroom, 19 practical. This is why a lot of driving schools offer "summer camp"-like courses for high school and college kids because it takes like 2 weeks intensive work to get your license. That's not even counting the actual driving test which requires a 90% on the written part to pass. Plus driving schools are ridiculously expensive, they're usually $2000+

The issue of course is that after getting their license, a good chunk of people just don't drive because the public transportation is cheaper/easier to get around with, so when they do drive, they're very rusty.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Also, I read that there's no street parking in Japan. So if you own a car, it's your job to be able to find a place to put it?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:12 pm Also, I read that there's no street parking in Japan. So if you own a car, it's your job to be able to find a place to put it?
Correct, you legally have to prove you have a space already ready (your own driveway or a rented spot) before they let you buy a car. However, if you move, no one checks up to make sure you have another spot. My previous apartment was on a quiet street that was so out of the way that a lot of car owners just parked there for free. Occasionally we got cops crawling through giving tickets.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I've come to the conclusion that Inoue has a DonBrothers problem. That is, DonBrothers is getting in the way of whatever Inoue is trying to do.

And I'm not sure what that is, but I'm increasingly sure it's not writing a Sentai series.:lol:

I will give credit where it's due, though. This episode had a lot going on for it artistically. As well as the action scenes involving cars. It's just that neither of those had much to do with Sentai.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

In this episode of DonBrothers SpongeBob gets his boatmobile license Haruka gets her driver's license.

It seemed pretty obvious to me that Haruka was going to hit Murasame with the car once Tsubasa and Sononi were being chased into the alley. I was not expecting to see it result in an elaborate car battle. It was a strange to see Murasame struggle with a car when he can simply phase through the ground and emerge for a sneak attack.

Sononi says that Murasame is the only way to defeat Jyuto. Then how did Tsubasa defeat the Jyuto that copied him? Furthermore, why didn't Tsubasa die along with the Jyuto?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Arigomi wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:34 am Sononi says that Murasame is the only way to defeat Jyuto. Then how did Tsubasa defeat the Jyuto that copied him? Furthermore, why didn't Tsubasa die along with the Jyuto?
The Jyuto are no longer immortal when the copied person leaves the forest. Presumably this also explains why Tsubasa didn't die when his Jyuto copy died
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:44 pm I've come to the conclusion that Inoue has a DonBrothers problem. That is, DonBrothers is getting in the way of whatever Inoue is trying to do.
I think you're unfortunately exactly right
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Strange episode. I expected it to offer more story or anything, but it really just only had a recurring villain dying, Haruka's antics and Sononi lying to Tsubasa. I thought she would have softened after this episode, but clearly, I was wrong. She has gone from stalking Tsubasa to lying to him, which iirc, she didn't do before.

Tarou, Tsuyoshi and Shin'ichi didn't have much to do this episode, but I did find the last scene pretty funny. It's nice to see Tarou be afraid of things for a change. And for the first time, I felt Haruka's Oni theme actually come to effect for once. I also found it nice that she invited her Donbrothers teammates first(since their friendship isn't like other Sentais) to go for a drive. Or is it that she invited someone else before and they turned her down...?
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:53 pm Aren't all hugs the same? Can you really tell the difference from a hug?
My complain is, why did it take him a hug to know that it wasn't Natsumi? He should have figured it out sooner, imo.
It could be just me, but did anyone else think this Tsubasa losing his eyesight story resembles the story of Nago Keisuke losing his eyesight temporarily in Kiva? In Keisuke's story, Megumi also helped him fight by telling him what to do, similar to how Sononi guided Tsubasa against Murasame.
Lunagel wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:32 pm Plus driving schools are ridiculously expensive, they're usually $2000+
Whoa, Haruka's aunt must be rich! Why would Haruka's aunt pay that much money for Haruka to learn a skill she doesn't want to use?
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:19 am
Lunagel wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:32 pm Plus driving schools are ridiculously expensive, they're usually $2000+
Whoa, Haruka's aunt must be rich! Why would Haruka's aunt pay that much money for Haruka to learn a skill she doesn't want to use?
It's wayyyyyy easier to renew a license than to get a new one, and the length of time required to get the license in the first place means it's difficult to find the time once you've started working. Basically it's a "you might not need this now but you may in the future and it'll be less of a pain in the ass to get it now than later"
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:35 am
Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:19 am

It's wayyyyyy easier to renew a license than to get a new one, and the length of time required to get the license in the first place means it's difficult to find the time once you've started working. Basically it's a "you might not need this now but you may in the future and it'll be less of a pain in the ass to get it now than later"
That's basically why I got mine. Had my first lesson on my 17th birthday (the UK age limit). Didn't need it then, but I do now, so it was good to get it out of the way.

That's interesting about all the restrictions, it's way more lax here. You can just apply for your provisional license a few months before you turn 17, then once you turn 17 you can do your test whenever (as long as you've passed your theory test). You technically don't need any lessons at all.

My first lesson the teacher drove us to a decluded neighbourhood where there's a loop to drive around, and he showed me the basics.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I didn't realize it during the watch, but apparently Haruka's teacher who went on to become the Hitotsuki was human Gamel from OOO?

and I figured the Hitotsuki was Timeranger themed, but I love that its design is based on the little robot owl buddy.

also saw someone point this out elsewhere and it cracks me up: "I love that Inoue chose to do a driving school episode for the Timeranger Hitotsuki when one of his Timeranger episodes was about Ayase going to driving school and the other featured Ayase comparing women to cars"

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”