DonBrothers 41 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:26 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
14%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
57%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 7
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Re: DonBrothers 41 discussion thread

Post by Mxylv »

As far as “depressed Santa who’s out of a job after real-world issues needs help from his childhood admirers” stories go, I’d say this beats out The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t. That doesn’t mean the episode’s a masterpiece, though. Among other things, why do the Nouto give gifts each year if we know Santa’s real? (And, from what is looks like, they weren’t directly working together?) Master and Santa being longtime friends (and coworkers?) also makes me start to think that there may not be an answer to who the former actually is. Granted, this is a Christmas episode, so trying to make strict sense of it might mean I’m missing the point.

Of course, it’s not all bad. Tarou is much closer to his better moments’ characterization (caring at heart, but usually has no idea how to express it), and Santa’s interactions with him are probably the highlight of the episode. I also like that they clearly put some imagination into Santa’s Hitotsuki design rather than just making it a meaner-looking large/red&white figure, although I’m not sure where the (Hindu, I think?) influence was coming from. Maybe it’s supposed to symbolize Santa’s change by taking the figure from his Christian roots to something polytheistic…? As with the plot itself, maybe trying to rationalize this defeats the point. The mech fight wasn’t necessary, but nor was it discouraging to my aims to create TV-quality CGI, so… probably a net win?
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
SVNBob
Go Go!

Post by SVNBob »

Here's some advanced-level weirdness that only this season can do.

Remember episode 23, where InuBro turned into an actual dog and got adopted by a little girl? Same girl as this episode. Not just same actress...same character.

It's a point for continuity and world-building that they brought her back for this.

But it also goes to show how strange this season is that we're almost to the end, and the team still isn't really fully together. Because there should have been a reference to that prior episode, like her reaching up to try to pet Tsubasa's head or something.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Wow good catch. She's not in episode 23 very long either, I had to scroll through quite a bit of it before finding her
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

That's so random? I didn't really see the point to it unless she's somebody's niece or something.
SVNBob
Go Go!

Post by SVNBob »

takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:32 pm Wow good catch. She's not in episode 23 very long either, I had to scroll through quite a bit of it before finding her
Technically not my catch. A friend of mine pointed it out to me a while after we watched this episode. And I don't know for sure if she noticed it herself, or read it on a wiki somewhere.

Lunagel wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:27 pm That's so random?
True...but then, this is DonBrothers we're talking about.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”