DonBrothers 42 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:58 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆
38%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 42 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 3.57 of 5 stars (7 votes)

Why is the episode recall bouncing? Does even that need to be annoying/

I guess I don't watch the opening very carefully, didn't notice Super Don Momotarou was added to his footage

What's the deal with this hiccup thing?

Haruka's costume this week is fantastic

Ooh, good there's no chloroform on that handkerchief

Hello Nouto. Lol Sononi's smile. Her scheme

Does Tsubasa even know Jirou? I don't know where they're pulling any sort of beef between them from

Saruhara being a scarecrow is funnier than it has any right to be

/me begins to think this episode was just filming them eating their christmas party

Saruhara's house is huge. Why doesn't he shelter Tsubasa?

What was their plan to punish this swindler lol? They should have just beat him up

Kind of a straightforward don episode. The oddball antics are on front street. I've been missing the guests lately, so hopefully this guy wasn't anybody. I get that they're probably taking it easy for the holidays

Edit:
/me shakes fist at Toei for doing so much shit on Christmas. Let me have the day off!
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: DonBrothers 42 discussion thread

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:58 pm Saruhara's house is huge. Why doesn't he shelter Tsubasa?

/me shakes fist at Toei for doing so much shit on Christmas. Let me have the day off!
Hey, I don't think anyone would have minded if you took the day off. Like, usually I just watch whatever subs get released first, this week it just happens to be you guys, cause I guess everyone else is taking it slow.

Saruhara's house is massive despite being basically destitute. Personally I think he's actually loaded and just pretends to be poor.

Kijino's "How dare you kill off Miho-chan!" I'm choosing to interpret as some nice foreshadowing. Cause he's gonna have to accept some harsh realities in the New Year.

Speaking of the New Year:
Spoiler
We have some weird time travel shenanigans. I guess we're entering the endgame now. Please Inoue, I'm begging you, explain what the fuck is Kaito's deal. I mean, I assume Donbros vs Zenkai will happen at some point, so I guess they kind of have to address it by then.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Saruhara's house is massive despite being basically destitute. Personally I think he's actually loaded and just pretends to be poor.

Yeah he's obviously a total hypocrite. The only reason he gets to play this philosopher poet man who is allergic to money and doesn't work is because all his needs are taken care of to begin with. I know people like to gift him stuff, but nobody gave him that house

In some ways, he's not very different from the swindler in this episode
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Although this isn't really a Super Sentai episode (the episode would have made the same amount of sense if there was no sentai fight and the swindler just turned himself in without it), this was effective as a shoujo manga comedy filler episode (for Doki Doki Love Love Super Mangaka). You get Haruka wackiness, the bishounen trying to do the acting group troupe from last season, and a reasonably straightforward plot line. And, as an added bonus, Momoi Stu just acts like one of the group (if you ignore the sentai fight).

The only thing that might carry forward into the future is that Tsubasa seems weirdly happy to find out where Shinichi lives.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I bet the series ends and it's revealed that it was all future Haruka's manga and that's why it's so wacky. Also she's Shiina Naoki obv
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:01 pm I bet the series ends and it's revealed that it was all future Haruka's manga and that's why it's so wacky. Also she's Shiina Naoki obv
That would make total sense. A plagiarist like her copying the works of renowned author Inoue.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

takenoko wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:01 pm I bet the series ends and it's revealed that it was all future Haruka's manga and that's why it's so wacky. Also she's Shiina Naoki obv
I wonder if the punchline to the series it that Kaito really is Kaito and the world he is visiting is Shoujo-Manga-Topia where shoujo manga authors have the power to create worlds with their writing and Kaito was absorbed into Haruka's story world. When the story ends Kaito reverts to normal and the Sentai, Jyuto, and Nouto revert back into being Haruka's classmates and teachers.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

That was a needlessly complicated scheme. They could have reported him to the police. Haruka's aunt is a police detective. I guess their vigilante heroics as the DonBrothers has warped their minds into believing that only they can solve this problem. They are lucky the guy didn't hurt any innocent bystanders after turning into a Hitotsuki.

I don't like how Haruka notices that Tarou is sulking and apologizes for leaving him out. Jirou has voiced similar feelings in previous episodes, but everyone feels comfortable ignoring him. This double standard undercuts the message for me.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Take get the day off? Lol! never! Sub-till-dead!

This doesn't advance the plot anymore than usual i just wasn't feeling this episode.
That's fine of course seeing Donbros has been nothing but 5 star episodes, i can let this slide with a 2 star episode.

Still such a weird episode. like was that really a plot hole that needed to be filled?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Arigomi wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:17 pm I don't like how Haruka notices that Tarou is sulking and apologizes for leaving him out. Jirou has voiced similar feelings in previous episodes, but everyone feels comfortable ignoring him. This double standard undercuts the message for me.
Yeah, but Tarou is at least part of their inner friendship group. Has Jirou built any relations with any of these guys? I feel bad for the guy, since at least Murasame is a plot device that moves other character's stories along
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I think this is the most interaction with the rest of the group outside battle Jirou has gotten in a loooong time
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

By any logic, this should not have been as fun as it was. As it is, I think this is my favorite filler episode they've had—a petty thief tries to steal the material possessions of someone who hates material possessions, and all the protagonists have to do is be their actual selves to terrify him into turning himself in (which is also a nice way of lampshading and just how weird this crew is, even by Sentai standards).

Props to the episode for also allowing some happiness for Inuzuka, given how edgy his life's been with few odds of improving so far. I have to agree that we didn't need a Sentai segment; this show's thrown enough tropes away that it may as well have cut from the villain running to hearing he turned himself in. Still, though, the character interactions are excellent, and the episode itself appears to prove one can pull off a mediocre concept pretty dang well.

Preview:
Next ep
Clearly, DonBrothers so far has made too much sense. Looks like they're going to fix that next
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I suspect the actors had a lot of fun filming that episode. Which in a job with long hours like acting, must be an incredibly nice change of pace.

Still, that doesn't always translate well for the viewers. I don't mind stand-alone episodes that are more focused on characters than the plot, but this episode really could have used an extra hook to make it more engaging. The moment the scheme was explained to the viewer, it was obvious how the rest of the episode would play out.
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:58 pm /me begins to think this episode was just filming them eating their christmas party
Given some of the production timelines we've seen in the past for SS, that seems doubtful. This episode was probably filmed in early November at the latest.
A genuine kudos to you for getting things subbed so quickly this week, Takenoko. You really didn't need to; I don't think anyone expects you to work on Christmas. :o
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:03 pm
That would make total sense. A plagiarist like her copying the works of renowned author Inoue.
Oh man, don't give them any ideas. I could actually see Inoue making himself Shiina Naoki! :shock: :lol:
Lunagel wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:25 am I think this is the most interaction with the rest of the group outside battle Jirou has gotten in a loooong time
Sadly, you aren't wrong. I'd call Jirou the butt-monkey of the group, but butt-monkeys get more attention than he does. Inoue really doesn't seem to have an idea of what to do with Jirou, even in big plot-heavy episodes.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”