Legend Rider/Sentai Tie-in Toys (Was KR Geats 18 discussion thread)

There's never anything good on
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Legend Rider/Sentai Tie-in Toys (Was KR Geats 18 discussion thread)

Post by takenoko »

Man, they haven't skipped a series to do past Rider tie-in accessories have they?
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Geats 18 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I think it started in Decade, which makes sense. if we start there, I don't recall any past rider themed gaia memories, but I know OOO has medals for past riders because I own a couple. after that, I don't remember if there were past rider Astro Switches or rings for Wizard, but I definitely remember Gaim had past rider lockseeds, because I decided they were one of the few things I was ok skipping while trying to buy as much of the merch as I could. I don't recall anything for Drive aside from the at the time traditional "it's a crossover movie, we'll do a form swap thing" items where he got the orange car while Gaim got his head as armor. Ghost I don't recall, Ex-aid did, Build KINDA did by having themed bottle pairs that never popped up in-universe but could make the belt do the sounds for past riders (you could take the diamond from GorillaMond combo and pair it with a separate other bottle (I think magician) for Wizard, as an example, as well as just full on "here's Doctor and Video Game. it makes Ex-Aid noises"), then Zi-O was Decade 2, so, again, that makes sense. Zero-One went the Ex-Aid route and made keys for each rider, but gave them names that matched the style of the actual ones in-show, Saber I don't recall any but could be wrong, and Revice was specifically "each bottle is also themed on a past rider in some way, so ALL of them (minus base form and unique power up form items) are past rider items, which brings us to Geats and the mini buckles.

so tl;dr:
Decade - Y
Double/W- N(?)
OOO - Y
Fourze - N(?)
Wizard - N(?)
Gaim- Y
Drive - N(?)
Ghost - N(?)
Ex-Aid - Y
Build - Y
Zi-O - Y
01 - Y
Saber - N(?)
Revice - Y
Geats - Y
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Definitely were Astro Switches. It's the 40th anniversary, so it was practically required (darned if I remember any though). I actually have a Cyclone Xtreme and Den-O Wizard Rings

Hmm, was there one for Drive? Like maybe Rider themed bikes or cars?

I don't recall any for Saber, but it'd be pretty easy to just make a book per Rider.

o tl;dr:
Decade - Y
Double/W- N(?)
OOO - Y
Fourze - N(?)
Wizard - N(?)
Gaim- Y
Drive - N(?)
Ghost - N(?)
Ex-Aid - Y
Build - Y
Zi-O - Y
01 - Y
Saber - N(?)
Revice - Y
Geats - Y
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Legend Rider Gaia Memories were absolutely a thing. In fact, they even brought them out for OOO, Fourze and Wizard. Wonder Ride Books too. In fact, Zero-One had 3 extra. As well as his proper one, the early purchase bonus for the Sword Driver called Hiden no Hiden Monogatari. There were also ones for AIMS and Metsuboujinrai.

I CBA to find pictures for them all, but all series since Decade have them. Astro Switches were a thing, as were Wizard Rings (they all say "Rider Name, Please/Now", followed by RIDER RIDER RIDER). Drive had Legend Rider Signal Bikes based on their Rider Machines.

Edit: Fuck it, here are all the ones you marked as No:

As for fun value, here's my review:

Gaia Memories: These say the Rider name, and a bit of their henshin jingle. The problem is that they're all Gashapon, and Gashapon Gaia Memories are awful, as tends to happen with Gashapon versions of gimmicks with electronics, since they massively cut the functionality.

Medals: These are fine, they say the Rider's name, so you can use them in combos if you want.

Switches: They say the Rider's name and play a bit of the jingle, so I guess they're the same as any other Switch.

Rings: They say "Rider Name, Please/Now" and then scream RIDER RIDER RIDER. Not much to say.

Lock Seeds: Really good. I mean, these are used in several movies. They have full arms jingles (generally based on an existing one), all the attacks and likewise you'd want. Really good, would recommend.

Signal Bikes: Use them in the Drive Driver and they say "Tyre Koukan: Drive (Rider Name)" and show their logo. In the Mach Driver they just say "Signal Koukan Legend", which is kind of odd considering they're Signal Bikes. Kind of wish they'd done full form changes like with Drive Type Fruits.

Eyecons: Really like these. They all have a full jingle (albeit they all follow the same rhythm) and have all the attacks you'd want.

Gashats: Also great. For Level 1 they say "Let's Ride, Meccha Ride, Muccha Ride, Waccha Ride. I'm a Legend Rider" instead of the usual thing. For Level 2 and 3 they all have unique jingles (following the tune of another existing one) and all the attacks you'd want.

Full Bottles: So these are weird. So for Riders OOO to Ghost, they got a single, regular Full Bottle which can Best Match with an existing one. So they put out a Medal Full Bottle that best matches with Taka. Yuujou which goes with Rocket. Mahoutsukai which goes with Diamond. Orange to go with Lock. Parka to go with Obake. They also put out Momotaros to go with Densha and Rider Card to go with camera. Double and Ex-Aid both got full sets, in the form of Tantei/USB Memory and Doctor/Game. If you use any of these, instead of a proper Best Match and henshin jingle, it plays the Rider's usual henshin jingle. This happened in one of the movies I think, turning Build into Ex-Aid. Drive, you notice, got skipped for some reason. Although they did put out individual Full Bottles which can best match together. So you can do Fourze/Wizard, Gaim/Drive, Ghost/Ex-Aid forms. Oh, and honourable mention to the Super Sentai Full Bottle. If you use it with the Kamen Rider/Rider System (name changes between the Build and Evol Drivers), it best matches to make a new form. "Nichiasa Saikou! SUPER HERO TIME! Yeah!"

Ride Watches: Duh.

Progrise Keys: Everything I wrote for Gashats and Lock Seeds applies here.

Wonder Ride Books: Not that interesting. Too much of their jingles was shared between them.

Revice: I mean, these are basically built into the gimmick.

Geats: These just give you a bit of the Rider's jingle. They're basically as boring as all the other minor Buckles, like Armed Hammer.

And because I have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon, the Sentai equivalents:

Gokaiger: Obvious, but let me just say I love Ranger Keys and I want them to hurry up and re-release Kyoryuger-Ninninger, and put out the rest of Ninninger-Zenkaiger.

Go-Busters: No gimmick.

Kyoryuger: In the Gaburevolver, they say "Gaburincho! Super Sentai!". If you try to spin the barrel, Doctor Ulshade just laughs at you. In Gabutyra, they say "Gaburincho! Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger!" as an example. In Minityra, they say "Oh! Matsurincho! Gokai Change!". As in, the henshin call. Fun fact, for all the new Zyudenchi in Kyoryuger Brave, they reused the pins from the Sentai Zyudenchi.

ToQger: You may remember the Kyoryuger Ressha from Kamen Rider Taisen, which can combine with ToQ-Oh. They put those out for all the way back to Go-Onger, all based on the Red mecha. So if you want ToQ-Oh with Speedor's face, you can. For older shows, they just put out a generic subway car with stickers of the team on it. In the ToQ Changer they just say "Team Name Ressha!"

Ninninger: I don't think they ever did any besides the Kakuranger and Hurricanger ones from the show. Watch a video here, I CBA explaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7M0w11cBck Although funnily enough, I know that for the Power Rangers Ninja Steel line, Bandai America DID do more of them. They even paid attention to the kanji, so the Mystic Force one had the 魔 from Mahou on it. Nice touch.

Zyuohger: No gimmick.

Kyuranger: No Legend Sentai ones. Kyutama were really badly done as toys. They used a 6-pin system, which only allows for 63 separate Kyutama, despite there being 88 main ones plus all the extras. There is a generic "Super Sentai" Kyutama though. Fun fact, if you use the Ex-Aid Kyutama in Hebitsukai Metal's changer, it says "Genm Kyutama". Also less fun fact, some Kyutama don't have official designs. Even in the Chouzenshuu book they're sihouettes.

Lupin vs Pat: Didn't happen.

Ryusoulger: Didn't happen.

Kiramager: No gimmick.

Zenkaiger/Donbros is obvious.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: Legend Rider/Sentai Tie-in Toys (Was KR Geats 18 discussion thread)

Post by takenoko »

I can't believe I've never seen the books for Riders before lol

I'm surprised it's the Rider side that leans more into the nostalgia baiting on the toy end than Sentai. Then again, we did have like all the Ranger Keys in the world to make

I really liked the GaiaMemory versions, since I could just carry around a little toy to make Kabuto noises. Obviously the appeal of card collecting is self-evident to anyone who's ever tapped that collect-them-all urge

I have a few of the rando bonus ones that came from when I was actively collecting Terebi-kun and TV Magazine:
Blade and Faiz Astro Switches
Wizard Rings for one of Den-O's forms, W Xtreme, and dinosaur OOO (why these forms? Just the ultimates?)

And Goseiger and GoRanger Ranger Keys
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I've got most Ranger Keys at this point. Only major gaps in my collection are the ones that were exclusive to expensive post-show Gashapon sets. I intend at some point to get the Memorial Gokai Cellular, even if they did fuck up the sounds in it, but I want the keys. I have the Goldtweaker Unit and the Donbrothers keys pre-ordered. That set comes with all the "6" Sentais, so it's gonna plug some gaps, because Tigerranger, Pteraranger and the non-Red Goggle Vers are exclusive to the aforementioned expensive Gashapon sets. Please obviously these ones will be DX quality.

I hope they continue with similar sets. Not only so I can get Kyoryuger-Zenkaiger keys, but so that those other rare keys are made easier to get.

I suppose technically Power Rangers has similar Legend items. I mentioned how I'm pretty sure they did more Legend Ranger Shurikens for Ninja Steel. Obviously we have the hideous Super Megaforce keys too, and I think Dino Charge got themed Dino Chargers? And of course, the Power Rangers Action Card Game done for Megaforce.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:33 pm I'm surprised it's the Rider side that leans more into the nostalgia baiting on the toy end than Sentai. Then again, we did have like all the Ranger Keys in the world to make
probably just cost efficiency. Rider may have started before Sentai, but there are fewer Rider seasons and fewer characters. sure, you can make stuff for every rider in a season if you want, but in the majority of cases that's not likely to be more then 5 at most, and people are more likely to accept just making it be of the titular rider for a season.

if you wanna make sentai merch, you CAN try to just make it the red rangers/leaders that get merch, but you're going to be upsetting/alienating some people that could've been more money for you, and not everyone is gonna want merch of "random yellow ranger from the 80s" so you have to take a gamble on having a lot of wasted material and unsold merch left over.

plus, even if you DO manage to get people to buy ALL the stuff, that's gonna take up space really quick, rack up costs really quick, and with that large of a roster you're more than likely gonna burn people out pretty quick and make them less likely to buy stuff in the future.

and I imagine that eats into the toy release schedule, too. you already have to balance how often the new stuff comes out so people can buy the stuff that actually matters in the show. clutter it up too much with nostalgia stuff and people either won't have the money to buy everything, or will be more likely to skip getting some things because they just got something.

Return to “TV”