DonBrothers 46 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:30 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
30%
☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆
30%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 46 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 4 of 5 stars (8 votes)

lol, the trap door

Why is Tsubasa putting up with this

What's the point of mimicking someone if you're immediately going to give up the disguise

It's pretty funny to hear what the DonBros spent their money on

Jirou's plight would be more sad if he were any sort of character

Can I say that I find the Jyuto Forest music really annoying

Tarou just isn't affected by the stuff and Sonoi just appears in the forest without explanation

Oh right, Haruka's terrible friend was the first one executed. Seems like less people executed than you'd think

Wow, really rushing toward the end. Things are wrapping up, for better or worse. Not sure what the point of killing off Miho was, other than Inoue needing to kill a woman to satisfy his usual blood lust. But hey, everyone else is alive, execpt for that detective and the bus tour lady who were killed by Murasame. Guess that counts for a happy end?
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: DonBrothers 46 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

it's a shame DonBrothers is a Sentai season and not a manga/anime, because it feels like if we didn't have to quickly wrap stuff up, Inoue could've made this last for a decent while beyond the 50 episode limit.

like, I won't lie, it'd probably wear thin eventually, but at the pace we'd been getting info reveals, and the way the humor was handled, it would've been at least a few more months before hitting that point probably.

sure, there's plenty of character details we should've gotten sooner in order for this 50 episode season to properly earn all the BIG moments it wants in ways that feel right (like you said, if Jirou were more of a character his whole deal might have more weight to it), but if we'd had more than 50 episodes to get to all this end game stuff, we'd have probably gotten to a decent place with all the characters eventually.

unless these last few episodes completely and utterly tank the series, I feel like we're gonna end the show with the bittersweet feeling "this was pretty good. could've been truly great with some better pacing or more time, and I'm a bit sad to not have gotten what it truly could have been, but this is still fine enough."
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

So is "Miho" dead? If so, I'm disappointed. I wanted a scene with her and Kijino where she tells the truth. Cause like, I wanna know how she really felt about him. I feel like we're being deprived of that. And now we're inevitably gonna get him trying to get with Natsumi because he can't accept it's not Miho.

Tsubasa might be my favourite character, because he's the most "normal" of them all. Tarou is Tarou, Jirou's delusional, Kijino is a borderline psycho, and the other two are just weirdos.

Preview:
Spoiler
Seems like we're getting a comedy epi...wait, Jin's out of prison?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

Y'all were really fast in getting it out this week, thanks!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I took it that Crane Jyuto "Miho" was just beaten unconscious and the Jyuto forest took her back through a magic full moon.

I cannot decide who the bigger Gary Stu is, Momoi or Geats.

Looks like the Bishounen Sentai Hostclubgers are finally together with Momoi as the Prince, Jin and his father/school principal, Sononi as Renge the club manager, Kaito as Kyoya then club accountant, Haruka as Haruhi pre-haircut, Tsuyoshi and Tsubasa as Hani and Mori, Jirou as the Hatachiin twins, Sonozo as Umehito, head of the Black Magic Club. I haven't figured out where Sonoi would go.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This week on DonBros: everything, everywhere, all at once!

This episode left me at a familiar junction: I don't know what to make of it. In direct opposition to pretty much every one of the previous 45 episodes, all the plot threads are charging right ahead in this episode. And there is certainly a great degree of satisfaction that comes from finally getting some answers. But at the same time, now everything is moving so quickly that it feels like things are being handwaved to a large degree - outcomes are occurring that haven't been earned.

For what it's worth, after seeing this episode I can buy why Tarou let himself become Jyuto-ized. Using his Jyuto form to find the entrance was a decent enough plan, and since Police Dad had control over his Jyuto clone, it stands to reason that the Don family members have some kind of special control/immunity when it comes to the Jyuto. Though I don't like how much fringe reading that requires.

And then he just goes golden and is able to BBQ a whole bunch of Jyuto in one go while proclaiming himself the forest god... I like that we got to see the actor suited up as golden DonMomo in a helmetless scene. But it doesn't change the fact that nothing about that interaction makes sense.

As an aside: if Police Dad was guarding the entrance to the forest, how did the Jyuto escape to begin with? I don't see how Tarou is going to do any better at it, other than making good on his promise to kill anyone that steps out of line.

Also, there's a CGI ring in the Jyuto forest that if you spin it, frees all the Nouto prisoners? Obviously they were going to get out somehow, but what? Why would the jailbreak button be in a place the Nouto couldn't access?

I'm happy Natsumi is finally free. But why was she taken in the first place? And what was up with that whole "don't tell anyone for a year" plot point?

I'm far less happy to see that Miho is dead. If she had received a proper send-off, then perhaps that would have worked. But fighting to the death alone isn't really it.

While the series isn't over, this kind of a compressed resolution isn't doing it any favors. There's been plenty of time to resolve things, so Inoue is being his own worst enemy here by waiting until very late in the game to start tying up any threads.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:30 pm Jirou's plight would be more sad if he were any sort of character
Right? After his intro arc he was all but absent from a good chunk of episodes, and often didn't have any meaningful plots written about him (or involvement in that episode's plot) for the rest. He's going from being neglected to being the butt monkey. It's sad, but only because it's such bad writing.
But hey, everyone else is alive, execpt for that detective and the bus tour lady who were killed by Murasame. Guess that counts for a happy end?
Well the detective was kind of a dick...
resop2 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:55 pm I took it that Crane Jyuto "Miho" was just beaten unconscious and the Jyuto forest took her back through a magic full moon.
That's what I'm wondering as well. It was a very ambiguous ending, and I'm sure it was done on purpose.

Edit: Oh, and was Toei playing games with the bitrates on TTFC again? The encoding artifacting on this episode was especially bad at points, especially starting with the big forest scene
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>This week on DonBros: everything, everywhere, all at once!

promising reference?

>and since Police Dad had control over his Jyuto clone, it stands to reason that the Don family members have some kind of special control/immunity when it comes to the Jyuto. Though I don't like how much fringe reading that requires.

Ooh, that's actually a really good explanation and clue. But the problem is, he shouldn't be the one to go "Oh crap, you're like me, this is a total shock". Maybe he thought that since Jirou is basically a brainwashed- But no, that doesn't work either since Jirou basically knows nothing. It's not like he was giving Jirou specially training to be the guardian, so I'm not sure what his plan was

>And then he just goes golden and is able to BBQ a whole bunch of Jyuto in one go while proclaiming himself the forest god... I like that we got to see the actor suited up as golden DonMomo in a helmetless scene. But it doesn't change the fact that nothing about that interaction makes sense.

Yeah, it's cool. But a lazy convenience on the part of the writer

>As an aside: if Police Dad was guarding the entrance to the forest, how did the Jyuto escape to begin with? I don't see how Tarou is going to do any better at it, other than making good on his promise to kill anyone that steps out of line.

I feel like this got explained in some random episode. Something happened (damned if I remember now) and then the Jyuto took Natsumi (somehow) and that led to Jyuto being in the human world

>Why would the jailbreak button be in a place the Nouto couldn't access?

Sonoi, how did you get in that forest???

>that whole "don't tell anyone for a year" plot point?

I still think that wsa just an obvious lie since Tsubasa is a dummy

>I'm far less happy to see that Miho is dead. If she had received a proper send-off, then perhaps that would have worked. But fighting to the death alone isn't really it.

yep

>While the series isn't over, this kind of a compressed resolution isn't doing it any favors. There's been plenty of time to resolve things, so Inoue is being his own worst enemy here by waiting until very late in the game to start tying up any threads.

agreed
But hey, everyone else is alive, execpt for that detective and the bus tour lady who were killed by Murasame. Guess that counts for a happy end?
Well the detective was kind of a dick...

And he was one day off from retirement

Edit: Oh, and was Toei playing games with the bitrates on TTFC again? The encoding artifacting on this episode was especially bad at points, especially starting with the big forest scene
[/quote]

I noticed that. It seemed like there was particularly bad artifacting this week. Maybe it's cause they also released Outsiders and that took up their bandwidth?
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

That was an anticlimactic solution to a problem I thought was going to be harder to deal with, but that's just how Donbrothers logic works. Tarou just lectures these, rather wild animals, and they're gonna stay in the forest, problem solved. 😑🙄😒

Tsubasa is surprisingly useful, since he's the one who thought of following the clues left by alternate Haruka in her manga. I don't get why the others aren't doing anything about this problem.

Why don't the replacement Nouto trio have a roll-call? With how this pattern seems to be working, I expected them to have an extended roll-call like the main trio, especially because Sonoshi particularly instructed the main trio to do a roll-call last time.

And finally, Tsubasa is reunited with Natsumi. I hope with this, his complicated love pentagon with Natsu-Miho, Tsuyoshi, and Sononi will end. I don't want to see him end up with anyone other than Natsumi.
And RIP Miho. I am surprisingly sad to see her go. She proved to be better than Tarou and she was surprisingly interesting as her Juuto self. Probably one of the better supporting characters of this season. Still don't get why the cat Juutos hated her, though.

I miss Haruka, and it seems she'll be back to being the main POV character from the next episode. So I'm glad she's going back to being a primary focus.

And am I the only one who wants to see a Nouto Sentai team with these 6? Cuz the colors would be very interesting. Main 3 will be blue(leader), white and brown, with the 6th (preferably the purple one) and additional 2 joining up later to complete a team of 6. Toei should definitely make a spin-off with these 6 as a Sentai.

Is Nouto the name of a job? I thought Nouto was the name of the Nouto species/creatures (that are like human beings) who live in Ideon... And the Don Royal Family are also from the Nouto species... Why did they say that the main Nouto trio was fired from being Nouto?

Why is the thing called the "Ring of forgiveness" if all it does is free the people executed by the Nouto?
takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 am >and since Police Dad had control over his Jyuto clone, it stands to reason that the Don family members have some kind of special control/immunity when it comes to the Jyuto. Though I don't like how much fringe reading that requires.

Ooh, that's actually a really good explanation and clue. But the problem is, he shouldn't be the one to go "Oh crap, you're like me, this is a total shock". Maybe he thought that since Jirou is basically a brainwashed- But no, that doesn't work either since Jirou basically knows nothing. It's not like he was giving Jirou specially training to be the guardian, so I'm not sure what his plan was
Lol, that does take a lot of thinking and deduction to figure out. I was confused and wondering how Tarou took over.
takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 am >As an aside: if Police Dad was guarding the entrance to the forest, how did the Jyuto escape to begin with? I don't see how Tarou is going to do any better at it, other than making good on his promise to kill anyone that steps out of line.

I feel like this got explained in some random episode. Something happened (damned if I remember now) and then the Jyuto took Natsumi (somehow) and that led to Jyuto being in the human world
Huh, thanks for the reminder Take. That makes me think that maybe, since the Juuto were sealed in the forest, they couldn't come out in the human world unless they copied a human. So they teleport humans to the forest through a portal and feed them the origami to copy them (the order of these 2 can most likely be swapped). Once they take on the humans form, only then they can probably travel between the human world and the Juuto forest. I don't know, but this seems very possible to me.
takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 am >Why would the jailbreak button be in a place the Nouto couldn't access?

Sonoi, how did you get in that forest???
I was wondering how Sonoi appeared in the forest like that too. And the the jailbreak button is probably inaccessible to the Nouto so that can't easily free the humans, even if they want to. Freeing the humans from that prison is taboo for the Nouto after all.
takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 am >I'm far less happy to see that Miho is dead. If she had received a proper send-off, then perhaps that would have worked. But fighting to the death alone isn't really it.

yep
So my ideal farewell(if there should be one at all) for Miho would be if she died in Tarou's arms (🤣). Hear me out first. I'm saying that because, ever since Tarou has met Miho, he has built some sort of relationship with her. I probably can't explain it well, but Miho has been telling him stuff, teaching him things that only she can teach him about human beings, because of the fact she understands and behaves more like a human than Tarou. And he somehow respects(?) and appreciates her for that (maybe even more than he appreciates his companions 😒). This kind of relationship could've been a bit more meaningful (with a better ending) if Tarou would have tried to save Miho from the cats this episode, but he fails to do so and before dying, Miho tells him the thing she wanted to tell him (but didn't for some reason) when she came to slap him back to his senses, maybe something else that will help him realize his dreams/happiness? Remember in the preview for this episode, she was heard saying, "Momoi Tarou, what is your dream?" We never heard her say it in this episode, though, which is very disappointing.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I miss Haruka, and it seems she'll be back to being the main POV character from the next episode. So I'm glad she's going back to being a primary focus.

yeah same

>Is Nouto the name of a job? I thought Nouto was the name of the Nouto species/creatures (that are like human beings) who live in Ideon... And the Don Royal Family are also from the Nouto species... Why did they say that the main Nouto trio was fired from being Nouto?

I think Nouto is the race of people/aliens they are? But for some reason I guess it's also treated as the title of their job? Then again, wasn't it one of the DonBrothers saying it, their knowledge of it might be limiteed

>Why is the thing called the "Ring of forgiveness" if all it does is free the people executed by the Nouto?

Cause it's the Nouto forgiving the humans for giving into their greed
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:22 pm I think Nouto is the race of people/aliens they are? But for some reason I guess it's also treated as the title of their job? Then again, wasn't it one of the DonBrothers saying it, their knowledge of it might be limiteed
Yes, it was said by Shin'ichi. But the Nouto talked to the Donbrothers about it in the first place, so I think that's how the Nouto phrased it as well.
takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:22 pm >Why is the thing called the "Ring of forgiveness" if all it does is free the people executed by the Nouto?

Cause it's the Nouto forgiving the humans for giving into their greed
Huh... That makes sense from the Noutos' perspective. But to me, I don't exactly think it's the Noutos' place to forgive the people. Was this explanation previously mentioned when the topic was first brought up a few episodes back?
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

I noticed that. It seemed like there was particularly bad artifacting this week. Maybe it's cause they also released Outsiders and that took up their bandwidth?

Some internet folks said this, I don't know if relevant to what you guys are experiencing?

it seems that Toei started using video codec itu-r bt.709 for their releases starting TODAY. So if you have Intel graphics on your pc/lappy and you've noticed that today's episodes of KR and Sentai look like 3gp video from 2005 Nokia phone, then you should probably know that Intel can't handle this codec and turns videos into garbage.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Huh; this pretty much plays out like a season ending, so I’m surprised they have more than one or two episodes left.

I’ve come to the conclusion that this episode is about freeing people from the sins of the past: Tsubasa is finally free of his burden, Jirou is free of a world of lies and a curse he didn’t even know he had (for the best, whether he likes it or not), Tarou ensures that his family’s creation does no further harm, and the Nouto trio formally rebel and free everyone they and every other Nouto had imprisoned.

Speaking of which, I like that the Ring of Forgiveness was set up as a way to forgive the Nouto while actually being them forgiving humanity (which, in and of itself, redeems those three); the fact that it was found in the Jyuto Forest implies it may have been made by the Don family, which explains why it’s dubbed that and not the Ring of Stupidity.

Kijino’s free, so it’s not going to be pretty when he finds either a body or Natsumi. I may have thought he’ll go after Tsubasa or become a Hitotsuki a third time, but he already did both, so where Inoue’s going with this is past my knowledge (I’m already impressed he didn’t kill off Natsumi, but he did kill off sorta-Miho, so… win some, lose some?).

Jirou’s drama certainly could have been stronger; his earnest, plucky one-note (main) persona does give his plight a distinctive kick-the-puppy energy, though, and it’s made notably more powerful from a thematic perspective: it’s mentioned here that the Don family was slaughtered because they objected to seeing humans as a mere resource, and what do we see the police-dad doing to Jirou?
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 am Ooh, that's actually a really good explanation and clue. But the problem is, he shouldn't be the one to go "Oh crap, you're like me, this is a total shock". Maybe he thought that since Jirou is basically a brainwashed- But no, that doesn't work either since Jirou basically knows nothing. It's not like he was giving Jirou specially training to be the guardian, so I'm not sure what his plan was
That's okay. I'm pretty sure Inoue wasn't sure what the plan was, either.:lol:
I still think that wsa just an obvious lie since Tsubasa is a dummy
But why lie? You're a race of neigh-unstoppable monsters. It's not like the humans were able to do anything about it.
The next KR Outsiders episode is already out?! Man, that time flew by quickly. I'm looking forward to that one.

But I doubt that was the cause of the problem; streaming services don't normally get overloaded like that these days. Either way, it might make sense to check TTFC again later this week (or next) and see if Toei fixed the problem. I ended up taking some screenshots of the Geats intro; TTFC really murdered their image quality this week. Geats 19. Geats 20
Yaiba wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:15 am Some internet folks said this, I don't know if relevant to what you guys are experiencing?

it seems that Toei started using video codec itu-r bt.709 for their releases starting TODAY. So if you have Intel graphics on your pc/lappy and you've noticed that today's episodes of KR and Sentai look like 3gp video from 2005 Nokia phone, then you should probably know that Intel can't handle this codec and turns videos into garbage.
Thanks. That's an interesting find. Unfortunately, it doesn't make any sense.

BT.709 is not a codec; it's a standard for a set of color primaries. Specifically, it's the set of color primaries used for HDTV (and other HD media). It's such a basic thing to support that it's not even listed in the media info for most files; if something isn't HDR (BT.2020), it's almost always BT.709.

More to the point, a color space conversion bug should not manifest itself as an overly compressed, blocky image. Instead you'd have an image that was either washed out or overly dark. (And even then, any reencoding like what Anon does would be done in software. Relying on hardware decode for video encoding is uncommon)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Mxylv wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:01 am Speaking of which, I like that the Ring of Forgiveness was set up as a way to forgive the Nouto while actually being them forgiving humanity (which, in and of itself, redeems those three); the fact that it was found in the Jyuto Forest implies it may have been made by the Don family, which explains why it’s dubbed that and not the Ring of Stupidity.
Ah, that explanation makes sense. Too bad it wasn't called the ring of stupidity though lol
SVNBob
Go Go!

Post by SVNBob »

Re: Jirou and his "friends"

I agree that it doesn't make sense that they're not real because of the couple of scenes we saw with them (well, Rumi mainly) without Jirou present.

However, them not being real does make the fact that the five of them, including Jirou, are a pastiche of a Show-era Sentai team make sense. That would seem to be the right era for Police Dad Jyuto to draw inspiration from.

Plus, back when we were first introduced to this gang, we wondered why Jirou was Rumi's boyfriend instead of one of the 3 other, seemingly more normal, guys. Her being Jirou's imaginary girlfriend (but not from Canada) answers that question.

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”