My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Geats 20 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Ratings for last week's episode: 4.56 of 5 stars (10 votes)

Did Toei buy up a delivery company? More deliveries

Oh, Mom's in the audience now too. Man does TimeFire have such dead eyes

Wait, did he bury buffa and the unbury him for the lady? I'm starting to suspect each of the riders has their own sponsor

Hmmm, that star is behind Sae. Seems a bit too simple

Gotta shoot 'em in the head

oh, Lopo is the Dezastar (hey, we get an official spelling)

Beroba is named after Beroberobaa, where you make a funny face while sticking your tongue out. Kekera is from Kerakerawarai/cackling. Gene doesn't seem to match either of them, namingwise

Good episode. No major leaps forward in story. But we have little moments like with Keiwa and his sister, Neon with her family and envying others. Lopo's reveal. And the fight between Geats and Buffa was pretty well done. Oh, and we get the Jamato sponsor. It's doling out the info at a steady rate, while also making sure individual episodes are fun to watch and characters are doing things

If you watch our subs of the sponsors, there's a reference to DonBrothers in it
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Geats 20 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I'll be honest, I was half expecting it to turn out that Nago was the Dezastar the whole time and playing everyone against each other because with Sparrow, the most likely to be suspicious of everyone and figure her out, out of the way, so long as Tycoon or Lopo are still in with her when it drops to 3 people she could get them to vote with her against Ace, since they've all had experience getting fooled by him.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:05 pm Beroba is named after Beroberobaa, where you make a funny face while sticking your tongue out. Kekera is from Kerakerawarai/cackling. Gene doesn't seem to match either of them, namingwise
if I had to guess, that might be tied to some secret reveal we'll get in the future, like maybe he's hiding his real or full name. I'm guessing whatever that gun he was pointing at Beroba was is gonna be relevant in the future. either a gift he gives Geats that unlocks a new form, or maybe his own henshin device. in which case I'm guessing that, if he's not just joining in on DGP stuff, then maybe the story might hit a point where the conflict evolves beyond Ace fighting against the DGP as an organization and into fighting everyone keeping it going, including the audience.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of disappointed Lopo is the Desastar. I was fully invested in the idea it was either sweet, innocent Neon, or it was nobody.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:02 pm if I had to guess, that might be tied to some secret reveal we'll get in the future, like maybe he's hiding his real or full name. I'm guessing whatever that gun he was pointing at Beroba was is gonna be relevant in the future. either a gift he gives Geats that unlocks a new form, or maybe his own henshin device. in which case I'm guessing that, if he's not just joining in on DGP stuff, then maybe the story might hit a point where the conflict evolves beyond Ace fighting against the DGP as an organization and into fighting everyone keeping it going, including the audience.
Ooh, that's a great theory, and makes sense as a natural progression for the series
HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:23 am Not gonna lie, I'm kind of disappointed Lopo is the Desastar. I was fully invested in the idea it was either sweet, innocent Neon, or it was nobody.
Yeah. It's the twist that has no twists. And while I find the dance of the writer trying to out trick the audience a little meta and annoying sometimes, it is a little dissatisfying when it's the first person that you thought it was all along. It's not the core three and it's not the person who's the most obvious candidate for it, so who else could it be? It doesn't help that the group is so small this time either. Maybe if there were three new people instead of two, this would have been a more satisfying revelation

It's also weird that they reveal it now. I'm sure it sets up a twist next week, but uncovering the mystery at the end of the episode, then not showing any consequence for it also lowers the impact
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:52 am It's also weird that they reveal it now. I'm sure it sets up a twist next week, but uncovering the mystery at the end of the episode, then not showing any consequence for it also lowers the impact
maybe the twist is that Sae WASN'T the dezastar but the role is transferable or something?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Can we at least agree that Keiwa's sister is a moron? Oh sure, random package of fruit you didn't order, must be consumed by sunset. Nothing even remotely suspicious there.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:21 pm Can we at least agree that Keiwa's sister is a moron? Oh sure, random package of fruit you didn't order, must be consumed by sunset. Nothing even remotely suspicious there.
Surprisingly, this kind of situation is totally believable in Japan. There are seasons for sending presents (usually expensive food) to basically say "Hey we have a good relationship, let's continue it." January and July/August are the usual time periods, though anytime is perfectly acceptable. If you have a lot of friends or relatives, or especially business partners, it's entirely possible you'll get a package addressed to you with some sort of food you didn't order in it.

Also, Japan's expiration dates are notoriously short, mostly as a form of CYA. I've definitely kept some milk two weeks beyond the date on the box and it was fine. If you get cake at a store it's almost always labeled as "eat today". The only thing fishy about this situation is that there's (probably) no "sent from" address on the box.

EDIT: Here, an entire section of Rakuten (probably number one internet retailer in Japan, and that's even with Amazon) dedicated to gifts to send
https://event.rakuten.co.jp/oseibo/

Click on the fruit category and:

Voila, two juicy pineapples to send to your grandkids for only 30 bucks plus shipping. If Keiwa and his sister have some generous relatives and they're used to getting this sort of gift out of the blue, it's totally plausible that she wouldn't even blink an eye, just start cutting.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

While I wouldn't call her an idiot, I think the operative term is the lack of return address, and obvious alien writing all over the card. If you don't know where the food came from, don't eat it
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Neglected to mention another cultural tidbit.

At the end of the episode, Niramu faces South-Southeast and takes a bite out of a large sushi roll. This is a seasonal reference to Setsubun, a minor holiday that falls on February 3rd this year, so this Friday. Traditions/customs vary based on region, but generally on Setsubun you face that year's lucky direction (this year, South-Southeast) and eat a whole ehoumaki (in total silence, so Niramu broke that particular tradition). Afterwards you throw dried beans around the house or at someone dressed up like an Oni, saying "Oni out, luck in!"
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Lunagel wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:46 am "Oni out, luck in!"
Is that related to Oni Sister's standby jingle? The "Oni mo uchi" thing?
Seen:
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:06 am
Lunagel wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:46 am "Oni out, luck in!"
Is that related to Oni Sister's standby jingle? The "Oni mo uchi" thing?
Correct! The traditional phrase in Japanese is "Oni wa soto, fuku wa uchi" so the Oni sister jingle plays off of that by saying "Oni mo uchi".
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:46 am Neglected to mention another cultural tidbit.

At the end of the episode, Niramu faces South-Southeast and takes a bite out of a large sushi roll. This is a seasonal reference to Setsubun, a minor holiday that falls on February 3rd this year, so this Friday. Traditions/customs vary based on region, but generally on Setsubun you face that year's lucky direction (this year, South-Southeast) and eat a whole ehoumaki (in total silence, so Niramu broke that particular tradition). Afterwards you throw dried beans around the house or at someone dressed up like an Oni, saying "Oni out, luck in!"
Wow, that feels so random
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:06 am
Lunagel wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:46 am Neglected to mention another cultural tidbit.

Wow, that feels so random
makes sense, actually. he's trying to run a show based around achieving world peace and having issues with some of the non-human adversaries intruding on his plans. he wants Jamato out, Realism in.
neomonpkmn02
Go Go!
Favorite series: Keitai 7
2nd Favorite Series: KR Ryuki
Dreamy: Kitagawa Keiko
Favorite Actor?: Matsumoto Jun
Favorite Band: BACK-ON
My boom: Magic...
Quote: Smile Smile

Post by neomonpkmn02 »

too many plot twists, I wouldn't be surprised if Decade aand Shinken Red appears as the original creators of DGP
Just your barely qualified hero
Like most people you see everyday, I just existed ~rephrased from Kick Ass
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Great episode. I pointed it out in the previous episode's discussion that Sae had such suspicious looks on her face. Looks like it did have more to it than we could see. Not that this outcome isn't boring, though.

Lol, that Dezastar animation sequence....

Someone previously pointed it out, but Ace's outfit is too standoffish this episode... What's with that color and turtleneck.... And the way he's sitting.... 🤨🧐👀

Why is Keiwa sleeping on the couch even after Daichi is gone? And seriously, does Ace sleep on the bar? Why can't the guys share the space like the girls? And are they given just this room to live? I thought this whole place is pretty big, with the training rooms and all, how come they don't have separate rooms for the participants to live in?

Sara is so dramatic... Lol.

Wait, their phones can become drones too? That's new..... and cool.

You've said it Keiwa, Magnum is best suited for Geats.

They sure made it obvious this episode that Sae is the Dezastar...

How come Neon's mom watching DGP now, I thought it was for an exclusive audience that didn't include her... I know Neon's dad is a sponsor, but I thought he'd keep this whole game thing a secret....
She has such strict and tough parents, poor Neon.... Both of them are strict with her, but in 2 very different ways.
But is her dad not Neon's supporter...? I thought it was him all this time... 🧐🤔

It's only been a few episodes, but I love Neon and Sae's friendship! I haven't seen this kind of friendship being portrayed on the Rider shows I've watched so far, so I'm enjoying this even more.

The Jamato have sponsors too? What kind of convoluted world is this? And which world are these teen audience members (Gene & Beroba) from? I assume they're high schoolers and know each other from school or the same peer group or whatever. They're very strange... And of course, mysterious. Beroba's wearing contacts of different colors on 2 different eyes and it took me a while to notice that.

Whoa, Michinaga's entry is pretty cool.

The zombie buckle has such cool attacks, how come Lopo doesn't use them as much?

Why does Gene have a weapon with him?

Keiwa cut that stupid wire already, why are you taking so long?

I can't believe Ace is asking whether Michinaga is ok or not...

Why couldn't one of the main 3 be a Dezastar? It's kinda boring if the supporting who they can easily get rid of becomes the Dezastar.

Next time, Isuzu Daichi returns!! I hope this means both Daichi and Sae will be appearing in the future after this arc is over.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:05 pm Did Toei buy up a delivery company? More deliveries
Lol, I thought the same thing. Too many deliveries...
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:05 pm I'm starting to suspect each of the riders has their own sponsor
I was expecting this to be the case, and this episode party proves with Neon's dad saying she also has a sponsor.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:05 pm It's doling out the info at a steady rate, while also making sure individual episodes are fun to watch and characters are doing things
Yeah, the pacing is comfortable for a casual watcher, I think. It's helpful in retaining the amount of information we get in the previous episode. Geats is definitely better than all the previous Reiwa KR seasons, cuz I recently finished Zero-One which completes all the Reiwa Era KR seasons. I can see a good difference in the quality of Zero-One & Geats. I hope Geats will meet our expectations and remain good till the end. It's hard to believe it's almost halfway over... 20 episodes... It still feels to me like it started last month.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice