DonBrothers 47 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:14 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆
38%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 47 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 3.89 of 5 stars (9 votes)

What is Sonoshi dusting? Is that a extension boxing glove? Is he the joker?

Sonoshi is sitll up to his usual shit. Do they need to use the ring of forgiveness to save those people or will they pop out when Sonoshi dies?

Inoue and his lazy button that does plot

What? Is Tarou's dad just going back to jail? And will Master ever finish reading his book?

What? Who's this girl?

Was that couple previous Hitotsuki?

What a laugh track?

Two gears at once. We must be near the end of the sentai playthrough

https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Category: ... hers_Gears is the changeman gear a M logo? That's all the gears then. Now Inoue can focus on the story now that all the toy plugs is done

Heh, Saru is in a tree. Nice background touch

lol at the Nouto Rangers fighting in the background

Oh good, they got rid of Tarou. The episodes where the they have to work as a team without him are the best

Speaking of which, I adored this episode. Since characters just talking to each other, sorting through their shit, or reacting to each other, whether for drama or humor, are the best aspects of storytelling

But yeah, last two Hitotsuki. It's the end of an era
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: DonBrothers 47 discussion thread

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

well, you say last two hitotsuki, but I'd still be willing to bet we get a DonBros themed Hitotsuki for the very end, and maybe even one for King-Ohger in the future crossover, assuming they don't make that the final enemy and show the King-Ohger gear as one of the last shots before the credits roll/the show ends and we get the preview for the new series' episode 1.

and what episode was the Zenkaiger Hitotsuki? I don't remember that one.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Don't they start with the Zenkaiger gear? Well, maybe Master can be the Zenkaiger Hitotsuki. Would that even count as ironic lol

But yeah, as usual all your predictions sound like they'd come true. Inoue: "Their greatest enemy... is themselves! ...but probably mostly Haruka"
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:49 am Don't they start with the Zenkaiger gear?
Tarou turned into Zenkaiser in episode 1. Which kind of goes against the "you can only turn into your own colour" rule they established. Oh yeah, remember when Avatar Changes were a thing? Why was that introduced, again?

So Jin knows who Kaito is, interesting. Still not telling us though.

That laugh track threw me, I thought I'd imagined it at first, or I had something else playing in the background.

I enjoyed that episode. The back and forth between the cast in this show has been its strongest element.

Natsumi is alive and well, right? So Sononi really isn't in with a chance.

Also, my Donbrothers Ranger Keys came this morning, so I watched this episode playing with those.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm glad to see that the series is continuing to move its major plot threads forward. And following last week's "big" episode (i.e. lots of location shooting), it makes sense that this week would be a lighter episode that was mostly shot on set (and all of that on a single day, i imagine). Still, it was kind of a slow/uneventful episode for how close we're getting to the end of the series, and I feel like it raised about as many questions as it answered.

So Papa Jin can just let anyone in to the forest? Why then did we just go through that whole multi-episode arc of trying to find out where the entrance to the forest was? It retroactively undermines things if Jin could have solved this issue 20 episodes ago. And he's free to leave his prison as he sees fit?!

I was expecting more on the resolution of Natsumi's situation. Since she's been AWOL for the last year, there's a lot for her to catch up on. But as we instead finally got the reveal that Tsubasa used his points to revive his groupie, I suppose that would have made for an overstuffed plot. Still, it's not like the Sononi plot actually went anywhere. The reveal is kind of wasted if there aren't any repercussions within the same episode.

I guess this episode also tried to answer why the series is themed after the story of Momotaro? If that was supposed to be a serious answer, it really landed flat. Though I suppose there has to be at least some creative answer as the official line, as Inoue can't outright say "because Toei said so". Either way, it's unfulfilling.

Finally, I guess TTFC's streaming image quality is still knackered? I see that Anon used the broadcast raws this week, following last week's issues. If so, I'm kind of flummoxed that Toei would let this remain a problem; I can only hope they try to fix it soon.
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:14 pm What is Sonoshi dusting? Is that a extension boxing glove? Is he the joker?
I was wondering the same thing. It's such an odd collection of random widgets.
Two gears at once. We must be near the end of the sentai playthrough

https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Category: ... hers_Gears is the changeman gear a M logo? That's all the gears then. Now Inoue can focus on the story now that all the toy plugs is done
I will say this much for DonBros: I have never seen a collectable gimmick so underused as the Sentai gears. I'm actually kind of surprised that Toei didn't force the matter harder, since it's pure merchandise.
Heh, Saru is in a tree. Nice background touch
As an aside, is it me, or does Saru teleport in backwards a lot?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>So Papa Jin can just let anyone in to the forest? Why then did we just go through that whole multi-episode arc of trying to find out where the entrance to the forest was? It retroactively undermines things if Jin could have solved this issue 20 episodes ago. And he's free to leave his prison as he sees fit?!

To be fair, he did say that the Jyuto issue had to be dealt with first. I honestly don't remember them specifying that his job was to watch over the Jyuto, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the details that was flung at us offhandedly in some random episode

>Still, it's not like the Sononi plot actually went anywhere. The reveal is kind of wasted if there aren't any repercussions within the same episode.

I liked it for Sononi getting to do something. At least we get to see her act out her unrequited feelings for Tsubasa out in the open instead of sidled off as a b plot to another episode's a plot

>I guess this episode also tried to answer why the series is themed after the story of Momotaro?

Did they? If so, that went over my head. I just assumed that this was supposed to be a modern remake of the story of Momotarou. But if the story exists in this show, then I guess they're going out of their way to emulate it... for reasons???

>Finally, I guess TTFC's streaming image quality is still knackered? I see that Anon used the broadcast raws this week, following last week's issues. If so, I'm kind of flummoxed that Toei would let this remain a problem; I can only hope they try to fix it soon.

I can whip up some comparison pics, but for now I've posted some samples in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=25891

>I will say this much for DonBros: I have never seen a collectable gimmick so underused as the Sentai gears. I'm actually kind of surprised that Toei didn't force the matter harder, since it's pure merchandise.

In Discord, someone was showing us more Avatar Alter toys that never made it into the series. So baffling! It's also kind of gross since the gears are just red version of the Zenkaiger stuff...

>As an aside, is it me, or does Saru teleport in backwards a lot?

If your main asset is your red rump, you'd come in backwards too!
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

You spelled Yea wrong
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yea

Edit: Is it supposed to cut off like that at the end?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:42 am >I guess this episode also tried to answer why the series is themed after the story of Momotaro?

Did they? If so, that went over my head. I just assumed that this was supposed to be a modern remake of the story of Momotarou. But if the story exists in this show, then I guess they're going out of their way to emulate it... for reasons???
Back when Jin was saying ""The DonBorthers have an oni member, which was the enemy in the story of Momotarou". This is the first time we've seen the story of Momotarou directly referenced. And of course, Haruka says she's been wondering about it since the beginning.
>I will say this much for DonBros: I have never seen a collectable gimmick so underused as the Sentai gears. I'm actually kind of surprised that Toei didn't force the matter harder, since it's pure merchandise.

In Discord, someone was showing us more Avatar Alter toys that never made it into the series. So baffling! It's also kind of gross since the gears are just red version of the Zenkaiger stuff...
The Alters are even more forced than the gears overall. Not seeing the gears used is a curiosity; not seeing the alters used is a blessing.

Though I've never paid much attention to Bandai's JP toy lines. In the US it's normal for toys to be released with no direct in-show counterpart. Is that not a normal thing in Japan?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Bandai Japan usually only releases things that actually appear on-screen. There are some exceptions. They've done Ranger Keys that have never appeared, and they always do the Legend Rider items. For the Gaim Jinba figure, both the Figuart and Arms Change figure, the armour can change between the 4 fruits, so you can have a figure of Gaim Jinba Melon if you want.

Occasionally you get things I assume were planned and fell through. The instructions for Rodeomaru have instructions for "Shurikenjin Rodeo", which is just Shurikenjin with Bison King's head.

The Gokai Galleon Buster has Yellow and Black charges which never got used. All non-Energy Lock Seeds have two attacks in thr Musou Saber, Charge and Power, but Power never got used.

Sometimes mecha have unused ports. Go-Buster Ace has a load of clips on the back of its legs which never got used for anything.

The VS Changer has henshin sounds for Patren 0gou, Patren -1gou and Lupin Black. Would love someone to ask the team of that show what was up with them. I remember a lot of speculation that Hilltop would be Patren 0gou.

The Wizard Driver has a ton of rings programmed in that never happened. So did the original OOO Driver, but the CSM actually added combos for them.

There are a load of Kyutama which never got released in any form, we don't even have designs for them, despite them canonically existing in the 88.The Ryutsueder has sounds for them that you can toggle through.

There are 4 extra Signal Bikes in the Mach Driver which never got used.

Every Gashat has separate Level 2 and Level 3 jingles, all totally original, even though we only ever heard one or the other in the show.

The Ziku Driver has variants of Zi-O and Geiz which say 2018, 2019, 2000, 2068 and 0000.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:55 am Though I've never paid much attention to Bandai's JP toy lines. In the US it's normal for toys to be released with no direct in-show counterpart. Is that not a normal thing in Japan?
Nah, it's normal there too. But like, you made the thing. Why am I finding out about it's existence in like a tweet on a post in discord instead of a commercial or the show? If Transformers is a cartoon that's a 30 minute commercial for the toy, then Sentai's not doing the thing they're supposed to be doing! (Although I'm so glad they didn't, since I hate those alters)
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:09 am
ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:55 am Though I've never paid much attention to Bandai's JP toy lines. In the US it's normal for toys to be released with no direct in-show counterpart. Is that not a normal thing in Japan?
Nah, it's normal there too. But like, you made the thing. Why am I finding out about it's existence in like a tweet on a post in discord instead of a commercial or the show? If Transformers is a cartoon that's a 30 minute commercial for the toy, then Sentai's not doing the thing they're supposed to be doing! (Although I'm so glad they didn't, since I hate those alters)
So much of Donbrothers is "why is this a thing". Like, why are the Zenkaiger connections there? They've had basically 0 relevance to the show. Kaito could have been literally anyone. The Avatar Changes are in half a dozen episodes at most. Don Zenkai-Oh hasn't even been mentioned since Don Onitaijin debuted.
Seen:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean... I feel like the obvious answer is: Mr Toei: "Damn, Zenkaiger didn't sell as many toys as we wanted. Time to repaint it and sell it to the next audience too. Genius... Also we fucked up having Zenkaiger as an anniversary show since we did a shitty job making it an anniversary show". Kind of sad to see DonBro do the anniversary thing better, as botched as it is
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:44 amAlso we fucked up having Zenkaiger as an anniversary show since we did a shitty job making it an anniversary show".
That's the thing, I basically feel lied to twice in a row. I can't be the only one who was expecting Zenkaiger to be Gokaiger 2. But the anniversary elements in Zenkaiger are irrelevant. Like, Gokaiger, Decade, Zi-O, Akibaranger. Those shows are all based around the anniversary elements. They're key parts of the show. Zenkaiger is just a regular Sentai show, except the suits are based on old Sentais. I like the base Zenkaiger show, but my enjoyment is tainted by the fact that it's an anniversary show in name only.

Likewise with Donbrothers, the early marketing looked like maybe this was making up for Zenkaiger. Zenkaiger elements were staying, but we had the Avatar Changes. But Donbrothers, if anything, is LESS of an anniversary show. Hell, ToQger's Norikae Changes got more love than this.

Donbrothers is a great show, but it would be so much better without all the extra shit that someone at Toei clearly demanded be included.

Hell, Ninninger has more anniversary elements than Donbrothers.
Seen:
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

On paper, being a character focused episode sounds good. In practice, the writing didn't focus on any particular character. Having 9+ characters in the same room interacting was interesting, but I didn't find it engaging. The episode had a clip show kind of vibe because there was a lot of "telling" rather than "showing" to answer viewer questions. Many of the answers were also unsatisfying because they felt shallow on an emotional level.

The jokes at Tsuyoshi's expense came across as very mean spirited. In some ways it felt worse than what happened to Miho in the previous episode. The unresolved and tragic emotions were unceremoniously swept under the rug for laughs.

The tension between Tarou and Jin just raises so many questions. What happened between them? It feels odd throwing this in at the tail end of the series when it really would've made more sense to do it very early on as a background element.

It looks like they tried to dial down Sonoshi's effeminate traits after the queer-coded villain criticism.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Likewise with Donbrothers, the early marketing looked like maybe this was making up for Zenkaiger. Zenkaiger elements were staying, but we had the Avatar Changes. But Donbrothers, if anything, is LESS of an anniversary show. Hell, ToQger's Norikae Changes got more love than this.

I dunno, sometimes there's elements to past ranger stories/characters that pop up though. Or the monster will do something to refer to the past series. That's more than the bird saying one generic summary about the plot of x ranger series

>It looks like they tried to dial down Sonoshi's effeminate traits after the queer-coded villain criticism.

But he's still flicking around his gold dust, which is very wtf

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”