DonBrothers 48 discussion thread

Put on your glasses and look at reality
Forum rules

DonBrothers Wiki Link

< Zenkai | Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers | King-Ohger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:20 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
13%
☆☆☆☆
63%
☆☆☆
25%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DonBrothers 48 discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's ratings: 3.88 of 5 stars (8 votes)

LOL, the most clumsy cop

Did the reward for Tsubasa's capture go up?

Wow, did Sonoza's actor really eat that? I thought they usually spit them out since they probably had to do a bunch of takes. Also, we get an explanation for why Sonoza sealed Murasame in the manga? lol Unexpected

Wait, Shinichi is always broke. Why doesn't he ever have to work?

Dang, even though it went in a door, it seems pretty brazen to be endangering a baby

Oh that's sort of messed up that Natsumi's dream was of Miho lol

/me hands Jirou a business card for counseling

To continue last week's thought, Jirou having a Clark Kent vs Evil Superman struggle to overcome his multiple personalitiies might have been cool. But Jirou is just like "Oh yeah, I have my evil self so I'm not lonely, let's combine. Sweet, tiger stripes". So rushed!

Why is Sonoi working here? I can see why he would, but take a second to set it up, Inoue. C'mon

Oh good, Sonoi will win because Sonoshi's group members are idiots

Some fun moments, overall wish the episode was a little bit stronger considering how close we are to the end

Edit: Speaking of rushing, no explanation for why Tsubasa is wanted again?
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Re: DonBrothers 48 discussion thread

Post by kangchan »

So this series really doesn't have a final boss? Too weird since this episode and next episode look like normal ep, rather than focus on endgame structure.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:20 pm Edit: Speaking of rushing, no explanation for why Tsubasa is wanted again?
I think the implication was that that's the misfortune he suffered for using his points, and it doesn't need a realistic reason, like how Haruka's base misfortune was being labeled a plagiarist. my big confusion is: why is he suffering again? he still had 2 points after reviving Sononi, no? the time Haruka and Shinichi used their points to get back Tarou they suffered because they went negative was what I thought happened.
kangchan wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:49 pm So this series really doesn't have a final boss? Too weird since this episode and next episode look like normal ep, rather than focus on endgame structure.
my guess: we get some out of nowhere final boss for next episode, and maybe the finale, since we met some Senate members when they revived Sonoi, but haven't seen them since, so we could finish explaining them, or whoever "Mother" is for Murasame, if Murasame even gets an ending, or just finally wrap up Kaito's whole deal.

ultimately, I expect the ending to be anticlimactic with Haruka making one last goofy face at the camera like "THAT'S how we're ending this?!"
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I think the implication was that that's the misfortune he suffered for using his points, and it doesn't need a realistic reason, like how Haruka's base misfortune was being labeled a plagiarist. my big confusion is: why is he suffering again? he still had 2 points after reviving Sononi, no? the time Haruka and Shinichi used their points to get back Tarou they suffered because they went negative was what I thought happened.

Was that a requirement? I thought just making the wish was enough to bring misfortune. But hey, if I forgot that condition, then Inoue probably did too
kangchan wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:49 pm So this series really doesn't have a final boss? Too weird since this episode and next episode look like normal ep, rather than focus on endgame structure.
Maybe it'll be those two old men that ate Tarou's sandwich or whatever he was mad about

>ultimately, I expect the ending to be anticlimactic with Haruka making one last goofy face at the camera like "THAT'S how we're ending this?!"

No bets there lol
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I'd just like to point out that Dekaranger doesn't have a proper main villain either. Their final battle is against Abrera, but then it's just like "Well, the series is over now".

Tsubasa really needs to explain stuff to Natsumi. She deserves a proper explanation.

Next time:
Spoiler
Open your Eyexa for the return of Kaixa. Also Yellow Racer, but I'm sure she's aware she's not the star here.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I really want to be in love with this episode, especially when it gets a happy ending right before Valentine's Day. But man oh man, it just kind of causes as many problems as it solves.

On the plus side, it's nice to finally see the 9(!) of them finally come together. Similar to LuPat, that aspect feels like it was drawn out longer than it should have been here. But to Inoue's credit, unlike LuPat, there was more stuff going on in the middle, rather than 30 episodes of "you clearly should be fighting together". Still, I wouldn't have minded it happening a few episodes sooner, so that it left more time for wrapping up plot threads.

And the scheme to get the Nouto Inspectors to drop their guard in order to finish off the MOTWs was pretty inspired. Not especially novel, but inspired given the circumstances. It's a shame that they ended up hamming it up in the end with the blindfolds; there are ways that it could have been executed in a more serious manner, to really sell the importance of the moment.

Even for the comedic moments I'll give some credit. Sonroku basically just rampaging by throwing things through portal doors (and finishing off the co-worker joke) was good for a smirk. As was Sonoza's stint as a waiter.

But then we get to Jirou and my right eyebrow starts twitching. At virtually every last moment that character has been mishandled, and now this is the turd that's topping the cake. Why the sam hell does he even have an evil side?! Nothing has been explained. The character undergoes something dramatic, but doesn't get any kind of organic (earned) character growth out of the ordeal. He's just immediately fixed after an incredibly brief pep talk from his evil half. I've joked before about malicious compliance on Inoue's part, but now I'm starting to wonder if that's seriously what's going on here. So much thought has been put into almost every other character; and then Jirou is just along for the ride.

And at some point the giant robot starts glowing gold for reasons that are unclear, and the whole thing seemed unnecessary? Does Bandai have an all-gold repaint they're trying to sell?

There are two episodes left, and of course that's going to be the big two-part finale. I am getting incredibly worried here that there is not going to be enough time (or care) to wrap up all of the series' plot threads, even in a half-assed manner. There are so, so many things that need to happen amidst the heavy action that comes with a finale.

Next ep preview:
Spoiler
I guess the final MOTW is the King-Ohger monster?
takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:20 pm Did the reward for Tsubasa's capture go up?
I think so? I seem to remember it being one or two million prior.
Wow, did Sonoza's actor really eat that? I thought they usually spit them out since they probably had to do a bunch of takes.
It would seem he did. He either got to enjoy a lot of food, or he was able to do his scenes in relatively few takes.
Also, we get an explanation for why Sonoza sealed Murasame in the manga? lol Unexpected
And the kicker? It actually makes sense, in as much as it's coherent with the plot. None the less, I'm afraid with just 2 episodes left, we're not going to get much more of an explanation for Murasame.
Wait, Shinichi is always broke. Why doesn't he ever have to work?
We've seen him pay in haikus before. Plus, seeing actual repercussions from him being broke would ruin the running gag that is his character's lifestyle.
Dang, even though it went in a door, it seems pretty brazen to be endangering a baby
That raises a question: how do they get the baby back?! That was Sonroku's doing, so it's not like the baby came back when they defeated the MOTW...
Eh. Jyuto-Miho previously told Tarou that Miho was Natsumi's dream. So this isn't really a revelation to the audience. Though it is to Tsubasa since he wasn't around for that conversation. Natsumi was in a forest asleep; I don't think it's much of a stretch to have her dreaming of something. The only lingering issue is why her Jyuto clone opted to live out that dream, when it seems the other Jyuto don't.
To continue last week's thought, Jirou having a Clark Kent vs Evil Superman struggle to overcome his multiple personalitiies might have been cool. But Jirou is just like "Oh yeah, I have my evil self so I'm not lonely, let's combine. Sweet, tiger stripes". So rushed!
Almost anything would have been better than what we actually got. Virtually every opportunity to do something interesting (and logical) with the character has been squandered.:(
Why is Sonoi working here? I can see why he would, but take a second to set it up, Inoue. C'mon
He's just as broke as the rest of the Nouto trio. So if he wants more oden he's going to have to work for it. But I agree it wouldn't have hurt to remind the audience of that.
takenoko wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:38 pm >I think the implication was that that's the misfortune he suffered for using his points, and it doesn't need a realistic reason, like how Haruka's base misfortune was being labeled a plagiarist. my big confusion is: why is he suffering again? he still had 2 points after reviving Sononi, no? the time Haruka and Shinichi used their points to get back Tarou they suffered because they went negative was what I thought happened.

Was that a requirement? I thought just making the wish was enough to bring misfortune. But hey, if I forgot that condition, then Inoue probably did too
Correct. So technically, a misfortune can befall you just for using your points. You don't have to go negative, though going negative certainly doesn't help things.

At this point all of the DonBros have suffered negative consequences for using their points; even Haruka's wish was kind of corrupted by having her meet her less fortunate successor. Which, at this stage in the game, has me wondering why points are even a thing. It's a bit convoluted for a plot device just to have bad things happen to the heroes - especially if bad things are going to happen even for selfless wishes.
Connie_Edogawa wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:00 pm
ultimately, I expect the ending to be anticlimactic with Haruka making one last goofy face at the camera like "THAT'S how we're ending this?!"
At the rate things are going, I'm certainly not going to place a bet against that... :|
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:09 am Tsubasa really needs to explain stuff to Natsumi. She deserves a proper explanation.
To be fair, how do you even begin to explain that?

"You were kidnapped by aliens. One took your place and pretended to be your dream self, including the whole getting married bit. I fought very hard to get you back, and left your doppelganger's husband as a widower in the process. And because you were missing, the police think I murdered you.

Meanwhile I have another alien basically following me as an interdimensional groupie. She's hot and young and petite, and I saved her life at one point even though I was told misfortune could befall me. But I swear there's nothing going on between us!

Oh, and I'm a superhero that takes the form of a small dog" :lol:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>On the plus side, it's nice to finally see the 9(!) of them finally come together. Similar to LuPat, that aspect feels like it was drawn out longer than it should have been here. But to Inoue's credit, unlike LuPat, there was more stuff going on in the middle, rather than 30 episodes of "you clearly should be fighting together". Still, I wouldn't have minded it happening a few episodes sooner, so that it left more time for wrapping up plot threads.

I mean to be fair, we did spend a lot of this series going "Are the Nouto even really enemies anymore?"

>But then we get to Jirou and my right eyebrow starts twitching. At virtually every last moment that character has been mishandled, and now this is the turd that's topping the cake. Why the sam hell does he even have an evil side?! Nothing has been explained. The character undergoes something dramatic, but doesn't get any kind of organic (earned) character growth out of the ordeal. He's just immediately fixed after an incredibly brief pep talk from his evil half. I've joked before about malicious compliance on Inoue's part, but now I'm starting to wonder if that's seriously what's going on here. So much thought has been put into almost every other character; and then Jirou is just along for the ride.

Yeah, put that way, Jirou's handling was dire. Maybe Inoue didn't like the character or just didn't have anything for him. He's never anything more than toy opportunities and a plot key. Developmentwise, he just gets this stuff the last couple episodes

>And at some point the giant robot starts glowing gold for reasons that are unclear, and the whole thing seemed unnecessary? Does Bandai have an all-gold repaint they're trying to sell?

Sounds likely! Buy your P Bandai Hyper Mode Something something robo Kiwami!
Wow, did Sonoza's actor really eat that? I thought they usually spit them out since they probably had to do a bunch of takes.
It would seem he did. He either got to enjoy a lot of food, or he was able to do his scenes in relatively few takes.

I guess it helps that this series is mostly dubbed over anyway
Also, we get an explanation for why Sonoza sealed Murasame in the manga? lol Unexpected
And the kicker? It actually makes sense, in as much as it's coherent with the plot. None the less, I'm afraid with just 2 episodes left, we're not going to get much more of an explanation for Murasame.

Ah right, they still haven't done anything with Murasame
Eh. Jyuto-Miho previously told Tarou that Miho was Natsumi's dream. So this isn't really a revelation to the audience. Though it is to Tsubasa since he wasn't around for that conversation. Natsumi was in a forest asleep; I don't think it's much of a stretch to have her dreaming of something. The only lingering issue is why her Jyuto clone opted to live out that dream, when it seems the other Jyuto don't.

I don't know about that, there is precedence with Jirou's dad and Momotarou directly controlling their Jyuto. I just think it's messed up since it means Natsumi has a subconscious desire to be a hair dresser and married to Kijino, for some reason!
He's just as broke as the rest of the Nouto trio. So if he wants more oden he's going to have to work for it. But I agree it wouldn't have hurt to remind the audience of that.

Yeah, all the groundwork is there. THat's the frustrating bit. Maybe it was cut for time

>"You were kidnapped by aliens. One took your place and pretended to be your dream self, including the whole getting married bit. I fought very hard to get you back, and left your doppelganger's husband as a widower in the process. And because you were missing, the police think I murdered you.
Meanwhile I have another alien basically following me as an interdimensional groupie. She's hot and young and petite, and I saved her life at one point even though I was told misfortune could befall me. But I swear there's nothing going on between us!
Oh, and I'm a superhero that takes the form of a small dog" :lol:

I mean, so succinct and obvious lol. Who wants to bet that the happy ending is that the Tsuyoshi gets rewarded for his manic behavior by falling in love with Natsumi instead (or vice a versa) and Sononi ends up with Tsubasa. Place your bets on which order those events happen in!

Or maybe Inoue will do his Inoue thing and some tragic stuff happens in the final two episodes. I mean, Inoue gonna do what Inoue gonna do
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:24 am I mean, so succinct and obvious lol. Who wants to bet that the happy ending is that the Tsuyoshi gets rewarded for his manic behavior by falling in love with Natsumi instead (or vice a versa) and Sononi ends up with Tsubasa. Place your bets on which order those events happen in!

Or maybe Inoue will do his Inoue thing and some tragic stuff happens in the final two episodes. I mean, Inoue gonna do what Inoue gonna do
I'm not sure if Toei would let Inoue get away with one of his classical fridgings. That said, I'm also not going to bet against it, either.

A happy ending seems more in-line with Super Sentai, but this has been a very unconventional series.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Tsuyoshi getting together with Natsumi would be such a kick in the balls that I can totally see Inoue doing it. I hope Tsuyoshi meets her at one point at least. I'm still mad we didn't get a scene of him confronting "Miho" now he knows what she really is.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

I think Sonogo likes the oden. She looks so happy when she enters the cart, and she shielded her "triangle" from Sonoshi's air sterilizer.

Sonoza dropped white ice cream on Shinichi and then grabbed it, is probably a joke kids may understand 10 years later.
The true King-Ohger, Moffun
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I would speculate on what the endgame will be, but no matter what I think of, the ending will be much more random.

As for Natsumi dreaming of Miho and having the Jyuto act it out when other Jyuto didn't, the Miho Jyuto is a Crane and the others were Cats or Penguins.

As for pairings, I would go with Tsubasa/Lady Cop, Tsuyoshi/Natsumi, Sononi/Shin'ichi, Haruka/Editor, Momoi/Sonoi, and Sonogo/True Hero.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:24 am He's never anything more than toy opportunities and a plot key.
that raises a thought: maybe that's why we have Murasame at all. like, we can probably assume Murasame only exists by Studio Mandate, but consider: the tiger for ToraDoragonjin is purple despite Torabolt being silver and DonDragoku Alter is GREEN despite Jirou being a gold ranger normally and Tarou and Murasame's alter forms stay the same color. I'd be willing to bet at some point in all this planning wires got crossed and we got stuff like:

Toei: "ok, we want a dragon themed ranger for the 6th."

Inoue: "ok." *designs a gold dragon ranger.*

Toei: "oh, he should be green, like the dragon ranger from Zyuranger. we made all these toys of his Alter form as a green dragon."

Inoue: "...I already made him gold."

Toei: "well, shoot. ok, his Alter form will be green, but his Robo form will be gold. that'll work. also, we want him to have an alternate personality, and it's a tiger, like in Dairanger. And he's evil. we can use this as references for if this becomes Power Rangers. since their dragon ranger and tiger ranger were the same person, and he was evil for a bit."

Inoue: "....if I must." *designs Torabolt to be silver, since Dragoku is gold, but makes the design a whiter silver to be closer to Kiba Ranger*

Toei: "ok, you made him purple, right? because purple is the color of insanity and we made the toy purple."

Inoue: ".....you never told me to do that. he's not purple."

Toei: "well, dang it, we need the evil ranger to be purple."

Inoue: "fine. I will make you an evil purple ranger." *makes Murasame* "now may I get back to writing my soap opera?"
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Toei: "well, shoot. ok, his Alter form will be green, but his Robo form will be gold. that'll work. also, we want him to have an alternate personality, and it's a tiger, like in Dairanger. And he's evil. we can use this as references for if this becomes Power Rangers. since their dragon ranger and tiger ranger were the same person, and he was evil for a bit."

Wait, is DonDragoku a Tommy from the Power Rangers homage?

>Toei: "ok, you made him purple, right? because purple is the color of insanity and we made the toy purple."

Oh, that explains why the toy is purple

>Inoue: "fine. I will make you an evil purple ranger." *makes Murasame* "now may I get back to writing my soap opera?"

hilarious and accurate
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

A fun theory, but the directors never have much say over the design process. They're given already set designs, toys, and gimmicks and then told to work with those to make a show. A good director will work to fit the story to the toy production schedule. A bad director will just throw shit in and then never explain what's going on.

I don't think Inoue's ever had to deal with quite this many toys coming out on so tight a schedule, or juggling so many main characters. Faiz didn't have nearly so many accessories or major characters.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Tsubasa was a pretty neat character, but now that he's part of a team, he’s really kind of a brooding jerk now. He says being discovered by the DonBros made his life miserable, but he got Natsumi back within a couple episodes of them finding out. I guess being a loner edgelord by choice just isn’t the same thing as being a loner edgelord by circumstance. Speaking of which, even transforming in front of Natsumi is better than saying nothing. Any intelligence he’s had has pretty much eroded since he started believing Sonoshi about killing Natsumi, and if he’s neither clever nor likeable, his previous episodes are pretty much all that’s carrying the character for me.

On the one hand, I’m kind of disappointed that Tarou let himself get beaten. On the other hand, I like what they did with him near the end—the literal translation to “no comment” is “I don’t want to answer that.” He’s stuck to his (uh, granted, lethally enforced) morals, but he’s learned he doesn’t have to respond directly to everything. It's a nice bit of character development that they don't give too much attention to. I also like that they managed to squish in some character development for SaruBrother. If he really didn’t want to be worldly, he still had to get rid of his pride and superiority complex, and that got resolved pretty satisfyingly here.

Side note: I love that the villains got a proper roll call before the heroes did.
ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:04 am But then we get to Jirou and my right eyebrow starts twitching. At virtually every last moment that character has been mishandled, and now this is the turd that's topping the cake. Why the sam hell does he even have an evil side?
My theory's that Jirou subconsciously knew he was alone, so made up another persona to help him cope--just DID (movie DID, anyway) combined with whatever magic the whole Don Family thing carries.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,

Return to “Avatarou Sentai DonBrothers”